• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Intro To Samus + Character Match-Up's

rhan

Smash Hero
That pretty much sums it up. Preparation for the future.

As for me, I'm still going to be active a on the boards. Just not in the actual scene. Final quarter and I gotta get **** straight.

rhan

Smash Hero
What are the Samus player's thoughts on the Samus vs Link match up? I think it rides slightly in Link's favor but my crew mates think otherwise. I say it's 45//55.

It'll be greatly appreciated if you can give an in depth post. :)

'Fro

Smash Lord
What are the Samus player's thoughts on the Samus vs Link match up? I think it rides slightly in Link's favor but my crew mates think otherwise. I say it's 45//55.

It'll be greatly appreciated if you can give an in depth post. :)
I'm no expert, but I do think it's one of those random match ups that can take you by surprise. Thing is, Link can throw out more projectiles than you, which limits your missile game. His d-throw can set up some pretty nasty stuff, if only by putting you above Link where you can't do anything to beat his upwards attacks. However, Samus can play the close range game pretty effectively against Link, because you can match him for range and beat him for speed. You also have the edge in recovery and survival ability.

That's the gist of how I see it, so hopefully one of the big guys will come in here and add something to the first page about this.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ok. So I been gettin a little board with the current characters I play and I was staring at the chracter list and my choices for picking up a new character were samus, and pikachu.

so First id start with I cant seem to keep low to the ground when doing aerials. is her shorthop just really high or like somehow am I just not shorthopping?

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
ok. So I been gettin a little board with the current characters I play and I was staring at the chracter list and my choices for picking up a new character were samus, and pikachu.

so First id start with I cant seem to keep low to the ground when doing aerials. is her shorthop just really high or like somehow am I just not shorthopping?
I believe samus' SH is the highest in the game. :\

rhan

Smash Hero
Correct. it's still a short hop none the less.

If you can't tell it's a short hop do a few high hops. Then try for short hops. There is a difference between the two but if you're not use to seeing each one then you won't know the difference.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
no I can tell that its a short hop, just its a weird one.

So whats samus's go to move. Like just a good solid offensive move for an approach?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hey guys,

Haven't said anything in a while, but I thought I would elaborate on a few points that may clarify a few things. Firstly, I'm fairly certain I'm done with competitive smash. Not just smash, but gaming in general. Competitive gaming is an awesome experience, but, like with any other sport, you have to put a lot of time and effort into it to get what you want out of it. Right now I'm at a point in my life where I'm working full time, living on my own, and trying to build a future for myself in the career of my choosing, game design. While I think it would be great to continue to compete in smash during all of this, I don't want to make sacrifices to the things I need for something I simply want.

Secondly, competitive smash has lost the flair, for me, that it once had. I took a short dabble into Starcraft over the past handful of moths and I learned something. Starcraft is revered as the most balanced game in competitive gaming (as far as I know and the Koreans tell me). I play as the Zerg and have to play my friend, Protoss, constantly. Though I give it my all, I can never beat him and I have to constantly ask why. "Well, the Zerg have to stay one base ahead or they fall behind... your units are weaker so you have to make more... your workers and fighters come from the same place so you have to balance them... etc." Eventually, I got him to admit that, even though all the races are potentially balanced, it requires far more skill to win with the Zerg due to the higher requirement in understanding all the elements to win in an RTS (Macro, micro, D, O, tech, map control, etc.).

I tell you that story to get this point across: smash is by far a pretty balanced game to have 26 characters in it. Though, no matter how much I say that, the characters will never be equal. Anytime you pick a character that is not in top/high tier you are going to have to step up your game to beat someone who is even if they are at about the same skill level (I actually hate using that term. "Skill level" is so arbitrary in our league of gaming because we have nothing to base that off of and not to mention character differences.). So, essentially, when you are going in to a match up against a better character who counters yours and is about as good as you, then you are in for a difficult match. In order to gain glory in that scenario would require more work and effort than I want to spend right now.

The last reason why I think I'm over with it is because I am now not learning anymore. Not so much as not developing, trying new things, or fleshing out my abilities, but that I have gone from a pupil to my own standing fighter. Why do I see this as a problem? Well, when you are learning the game, there is a large innocence to it all. Dieing is funny, SDs give a chuckle, getting ***** by a better player is inspiring, and getting not-last-place is a fair goal. However, now that I left the nest of my mentors, every tournament feels like I have to prove something. I have to show my merit in the crowd of people. And while that may or may not be true, it certainly gives me the feeling that people are watching and judging me. The fantasy of competitive gaming and earning respect from my peers, money from my wins, and fame from my skills is a waning one at best. Each tournament just frustrates me further. "Why didn't I do this... Why the **** did I do that?... MY WORTHLESS CONTROLLER!..." And to top it off I'm usually quite nervous and tired.

So, for me, I don't think I'll be participating much in smash anymore. Not to say it will never become big in my life again, but I don't think you will see me behind the controller much, which brings me to my second point. Though I don't want to compete, I think there is a necessity in competitive smash that has gone far too long unfulfilled: Professional Commentary.

I'm not sure if any of you watch sports (I certainly don't), but after seeing a few matches of Starcraft, Halo, and other popular games being commented on, I had to ponder why we let that go for so long? Why do we let ourselves settle for blaring SoCal members talking throughout the match of unrelated things, having favoritism to certain players, and generally being obnoxious on a microphone? Most of those videos, for me, just hurt my head >_< So I mute them. Does this mean they should stop? **** no, do whatever the hell you want with your equipment and stuff. However, when people say, "Hey, want to watch some pro smash vids," to peak interest in the game, I bet the last thing they want to hear is a bunch of energy-drink-high gamers shouting as loud and hard as they can into a microphone while hearing the smash of controlsticks and buttons and that faint BG music of Dreamland playing.

No, I think that we can set our standards a little higher. So I feel that, due to my experience alone with the Samus video critique thread, that I can watch a video of characters playing and properly comment on what they are doing throughout the match. What this means? I don't know for sure. I may just ask for raw video from tournaments and then replay them with my own microphone and comment on matches. I'm not 100% on that though, but it would be a way for me to stay in smash without having to train constantly on a ok-but-no-too-amazing character to stay competitively viable.

So, as for Genesis... IDK. I may go just to be around people. I may have a comp by that time and I already have capture equipment. I would love to grab a bunch of videos at Genesis and then try to give the most professional commentary on them that I can. Who knows, maybe even get one of those doodle things so I can draw circles on characters like Madden or some ****.

So... yeah, that's what's up. OH, and I don't have a computer which is why I haven't been on lately. Having a chance to interface with the internet has proven to be difficult. That might change part-way through June though. Oh well.

Anyway, it's time to close off this wall of text. In short, I'm not playing for realz any more, I'll play for fun. I kinda want to commentate smash, but I have work to be a game designer before I have make promises on that though.

See you next mission

rhan

Smash Hero
It's understandable Corey. People shouldn't put all thier time into competitive. You should focus on your career.

I've been feeling the same way but It's just that I've been gravitating to other competitive games. Mainly Halo and Starcraft. I haven't completly given up on Smash but I only play it at tourneys or fests. I'll definitely will miss your Samus.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'll definitely will miss your Samus.
:(

I try

also how do you not have a computer...you're a game designer...lol fail
Had one, it short-circuit comboed into frying my EVERYTHING... hard drive, motherboard, and it even blew the speakers. When I took it to the shop, they said it was completely and totally unrecoverable and that anything I had on it was lost.

So, I pretty much lost everything and access to a computer. Also I'm not living at home anymore again, so I don't have my mom's either. I'm hanging out at my friends house using his laptop to learn Warcraft 3 while waiting to gain consistent access to the school computers.

Binx

Smash Master
WC3 is a super fun game, 4k.Grubby wrote this AMAZING article on timing, you should read it, there is a lot of game theory that is actually helpful in that game, RTS is so much different than fighting games.

Pi

Smash Hero
OK hows the fair?

uses?
Samus don't really apprach
You shoot missiles and look for openings
Uair has great priority but not much follow up beyond lower %'s, so if you can get below them you can use this
She's not a fast character, if you're looking for a char to go all aggro and slaughter your opponent with combo's and ****, look elsewhere
Her nair probably her best priority move but again, not much follow up beyond lower %'s
If you do land the fair/uair and your opponent is on the ground though, you can follow up, although not guaranteed

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
The fair in my opinion is pretty decent. If you know the physics to it (which I do kinda) you can get the most range out of it and hit your opponent throughout the whole move. However this doesn't mean that you have to study it and try to use it whenever possible. It's good to throw it in some combos and stuff.

Egg Fu Yung

Smash Journeyman
I went to Event52 and realized that I dont really know how to approach with Samus since I normally play pretty defensive and let people come to me. Sometimes I think I gotta turn on the switch and go aggro for a second but I dont really know how to do it properly since I get ****ed whenever I try. Gimme some advice please.
I feel like a nub for posting this lol.

-Tyser

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I don't really think there's much aggro about her.

If you think you're going to get hit, you may as well not go in for a hit, unless you predict them right....

gopackers61

Smash Rookie
so im finally posting again and speaking of bair, being a noob in smash can help since you may do some crazy **** they'd never expect. like bair when theyre hanging on to the edge :)

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
so im finally posting again and speaking of bair, being a noob in smash can help since you may do some crazy **** they'd never expect. like bair when theyre hanging on to the edge :)
holy **** this is so true

i don't think at higher levels of play it works, but it has against me

i almost lost a match in tournament because the guy was playing so off and weird that it was messing with the way i normally play, and it was causing me to make mistakes

turned out he's actually a brawl player

lol

actually

crazy **** that they'd never expect is part of what being good is, lol

also

i like your tag man

yay packers even though i never watch football and i'm not really sports guy except for running

Rat

Smash Lord
I went to Event52 and realized that I dont really know how to approach with Samus since I normally play pretty defensive and let people come to me. Sometimes I think I gotta turn on the switch and go aggro for a second but I dont really know how to do it properly since I get ****ed whenever I try. Gimme some advice please.
I feel like a nub for posting this lol.

-Tyser
I wish I could help but I have no idea how to approach with Samus.

I don't think Samus can approach in the conventional sense of positioning a shffl'd aerial followed by some sort of pressure string. (SHNair, shine, retreating bair.) I think it's more important to get into a position (or put your opponent into a position) where they have few options, and then punish the ones they take. For me this basically boils down to getting to Ftilt range and waiting.

Right now I feel stuck because I lose the mid range game. =/

Egg Fu Yung

Smash Journeyman
I also played against Mango's Fox who ***** my *** hard (3 stocked me twice). Any tips against Fox? He's one of my hardest matchups now.
I realize I can just read the guide but I want a response from somebody anyways.

I also ****ed up a lot against him because I was so nervous but hey, no johns.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I also played against Mango's Fox who ***** my *** hard (3 stocked me twice). Any tips against Fox? He's one of my hardest matchups now.
I realize I can just read the guide but I want a response from somebody anyways.

I have no tips whatsoever against Mango's Fox. I got in a friendly and a half with it, and just got straight up *****.

AIDS

Smash Lord

Fox guide is on the front page, lots of people find it help's a lot.

Egg Fu Yung

Smash Journeyman
In my quote it said that I know there is a guide, but I dont wanna read it (since I have over 1000 times). I just wanted to know what others have to say about it. I like your guys' input though.

When fighting Mango's Fox, just have fun getting combo'd, you can not win :D

EDIT: Here are the matches I had with Mango at Event 52 in brackets:

Match 1
Match 2

I can spew a lot of johns but in the end I wouldnt have won anyways so it doesnt matter. Mango, youre too good. Quit it please.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
In your second match, I think you would have done well not to have tried missile spam a couple times. Especially when you're facing a fox who, as you can see, was easily able to get punish you for being so close.

I don't really like using multiple missiles unless they're a good enough distance away where they I could still retreat or something...

Also
mango has hugs training
so...
yeah
lol

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yesterday morning my grandmother died. I'm now at the airport about to in bark on an 11 hour (by timezone, with only 8 actual travel hours) flight resulting in me stopping in Chicago before continuing on into Charleston.

If there are any Chicago smashers that want to bring a TV, GC, Smash, and two controllers to the United terminal at the Ohare airport... would be awesome.

Granted, there would be travel/tired johns for any losses.

rhan

Smash Hero
Sorry to hear this Corey. Even in our darkest hour, there will always be a light that shines through.

Top Bottom