• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Into The New World :: Generation V Competitive Metagame Discussion

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
A great wall...? What in the world is it walling?

And strong =/= Ubers.

If you think it's so great then check out its usage statistics. I've been playing a crapload of OU recently and I barely ever see it... Whenever I do see it it barely does anything. Nabs a kill and then gets revenge killed by something.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Haxorus was all like "MAN I HAVE 147 ATTACK I'M SO GOOD"
then he sucked

after that Kyu-B was all like "MAN I HAVE 170 ATTACK I'M SO GOOD"
then he sucked

Kyu-W is still a top 5 Pokemon in the entire game, though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I still can't tell if Kyurem-B has a lot of good moveset options or if people are just really desperate to make him work and throw random **** on him.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
It's a great wall, has a stat that is 170, and the strongest outrage in the game.

:phone:
this is false, zwelious has the strongest outrage in the game, check out the calcs if you don't believe me

but outside of that outrage, kyurem-b has nothing going for it, it's not fast enough, it's got a terrible defensive typing, and it has a ****ty movepool

there's a reason why is can be OU

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It had the strongest outrage until Kyu-B came by.

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous (+Atk) Outrage vs 252 HP/252 Def Skarmory (+Def) : 30.54% - 36.23%

252 Atk Choice Band Kyurem-B (+Atk) Outrage vs 252 HP/252 Def Skarmory (+Def) : 33.53% - 39.52%

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I made a no weather ou team, and atm it seems to work but i got to play nearly perfectly every match b/c of no weather.

So whats your peoples opinions can no weather really/truly work in ou?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I made a no weather ou team, and atm it seems to work but i got to play nearly perfectly every match b/c of no weather.

So whats your peoples opinions can no weather really/truly work in ou?

Non-weather is totally viable in this metgame but it's definitely harder to consistently win with since you're pretty much forced to use some sort of Heatran/Grass/Water core to cover all major weather threats (unless you're going full stall). Nothing wrong with having the core but it limits your team options as a whole.

I'm currently using a Magma Storm Heatran/Breloom/Slowbro core on my non-weather bulky offense team and I've almost cracked the top 100 on PS, but it definitely has flaws (Genesect is a major part of that problem).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Lets see, i am using genesect (classic scarf one), landrous t(double dance one), reuncules(think i miss spelled but not looking it up) (trick room set), keledo (calm mind), zapdos (bulky one to counter tornadus and to a lesser degree thundrous), and fortress

Edit: zapdos is new to my team and still in a trial period, but he seems to be working very well atm

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I run almost exclusively weatherless.

It's easily the best strat in the metagame right now. Weather is overrated atm.

Sand is fine though since TTar kicks ***.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Lets see, i am using genesect (classic scarf one), landrous t(double dance one), reuncules(think i miss spelled but not looking it up) (trick room set), keledo (calm mind), zapdos (bulky one to counter tornadus and to a lesser degree thundrous), and fortress

Edit: zapdos is new to my team and still in a trial period, but he seems to be working very well atm
You're lacking in both Water and Fire resistances (Keldo is the only one who resists both), which means you have no answers for common sun/rain threats like Specs Keldo or Venusaur. This is why F/W/G cores are so vital on non-weather teams. Without it a lot of weather abusers will run train on your team unless if you're going for hyper offense.

TR Renic looks a bit counter-productive since most of your team is so fast. I'd personally replace it with another bulky Psychic type: Slowbro. It's UU but it's a freaking beast in the metagame believe me. You'll be able to handle physical beasts like Garchomp and Terakion much easier and you'll also have something else that can take Fire/Water attacks.

I'd also try to fit some sort of Shed Shell Heatran somewhere on there because there really aren't any better Sun counters out there for non-weather teams.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
The thing about tr renic is he counters a lot of set ups (he can turn a game around in a second) . Oddly sun teams so far have not been an issue for this team, i have ether been able to set up tr or get a rock polish off b4 saur could get a growth sweep on me. That being said i do agree i could use more water/fire resistant pokes.

What slowbro set would u run? Out of curiosity b/c i might want to try him out (gen1 love)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'd personally go for something like this:

Slowbro@lefties w/ Regenerator (awesome ability btw)
Bold 252HP/@252Def/4SpA
- Scald
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off/Thunder Wave (depending on if you'd rather go to the more defensive or offensive route with him)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
hey so i plan on making a new ou team based on a w/f/g core any ideas/suggestions for this team? I am thinking celebi, heatran, slowbro but i have some alts in mind such as jellicent and maybe that sporing pokeball looking guy, or breloom if i want more offense

Also i have an idea, how about as a group we make a team or 2 (2 just b/c there might be to many ideas to fit into just one team) by comittie and then we can all go out and test these teams? We could discuss what type of team we want (weather, no weather/ stall, pure offense ect) and as a group see if we can create some kind of monsterous team. Just a thought if people are against this or dont want to do this that is fine as well

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
celebi heatran slowbro is still a really legit core imo

slowbro best tkon counter 2013
celebi best breloom/keldeo/thundurus-t counter 2013
heatran bess genesect counter 2013

slowbro also takes outrages reasonably well because regenerator

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i just thought about a community team b/c i have some friend who play as well and i find it fun to make teams with them then play matches by committee

edit: plus are teams are awesome 8{) (happy teddy roosevelt)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
celebi heatran slowbro is still a really legit core imo

slowbro best tkon counter 2013
celebi best breloom/keldeo/thundurus-t counter 2013
heatran bess genesect counter 2013

slowbro also takes outrages reasonably well because regenerator
This was actually the exact trio I had going for a good while. But then I got tired of getting ***** by Tyranitar with Pursuit, Crunch, and Superpower, so I swapped Celebi for specially defensive Breloom. Its worked surprisingly well, but it makes Specs Keldo a problem.

But overall yeah I can say from experience that this is a beastly defensive core with proper team support.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I was using a hit and run LO set with Leaf Storm so every time I killed something T Tar would always come in and Pursuit me.

Plus I needed something that could properly punish the blobs.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
wtf I stop checking for a day and this thread explodes with "PR gets out of 2009 and into modern times". Are you guys just trying to **** with Firus again?

Kyu-W is still a top 5 Pokemon in the entire game, though.
That's really questionable. Being weak to Steel and Fighting and only having 95 Speed is a big deal and really hurts him. I mean yeah he still has a strong Draco Meteor, but he's only going to get to use it once if your opponent knows how to play around it.

I just accidentally joined a random battle and killed a Skarmory with something called a Pidove.
LC pokemon are top tier in random battle.

I've played exactly 0 matches so far wherin my opponent had no weather user. Literally every single team had either a Politoed or a TTar. Granted very rarely were the TTar teams actually SS teams but you get the idea.
This is one of the reasons why I stopped playing OU. With all the weather wars, it's basically turned into Ubers only without the good pokemon.

Oh, and OHKO clause was removed in Ubers.
mfw

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Turns spent asleep reset upon switching out. So basically you have to spend all of your "Herpaderp is fast asleep" turns in a row.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Someone needs to start up another tourny for old times sake.

Maybe people would actually finish their matches on time.

Maybe.
You know what I really liked? The weekly mini-tournaments where we'd announce the format on a Sunday, have all week to build teams, and then have the actual tournament on Friday. I always had a lot of fun with those, especially the random pokemon tournament, and since it was only 16 people we all got our matches done on time! If anything, we should do one of those. We could coordinate matches using...you know...

Or an LC tourney. Apparently I'm good at LC. I guess.

Top Bottom