• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

International Players at Non-Victorian Tournaments

Basty

Smash Ace
This has been floating around in my head for a few weeks now
I really want to know why organizers of tournaments like ACL, Buttonsmash or anything SA,WA or ACT related, don't get international players over
Now hear me out before you say something like, "Victoria is the Smash Capital of Australia!"
The Aussie smash scene has had very few international players come over in its years of existing, sure OOS players go to said VIC tourneys but there are many players (Mostly players who have been in the scene for less than a year or players who can't afford flights to a tournament) who have not have not met these players, which for many is very disappointing if one of their favourite players had come to that tournament. One of the main reasons (from what I've noticed at least) is that some, if not most tournament organizers are going to say something like "Well we don't have enough money to bring these players out!" Well I'm pretty sure Redact didn't have enough money to pay for both Lucky and Armada's flight. Most Tournament Organizers are most likely not going to ask for money because they think it won't work, but look at what happens in the USA, players like OverTriforce and Javi have gotten out to places like Apex and EVO.

And I reckon that there will be many arguements so here are some arguements against those arguements

"Victoria is the Smash Capital of Australia!" Well yes, but as SSV proved Victorians aren't the best at every game, I have a feeling that Perth might want a PM player over like Pink Fresh or ZeRo, but this doesn't happen.

"To much money" As I have said before, fundraisers work pretty damn well, and have gotten players like Armada to SSV

"Not every player could make it to these tournaments in other states with international players" Not everyone could make it to SSV could they?

"There won't be as much attendance!" International players could give these tournaments more attendance, I'm pretty sure most Australians want to meet international players who haven't been to Australia!

Please don't kill me

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
The biggest thing is that simply no one has tried, like its possible but someone needs to step up and organize it for their own state/tourney.

Also its funny you say javi and overtriforce, because I paid for both of them to make evo lol.

Last edited:

Meredy

The Busterina
"Victoria is the Smash Capital of Australia!" Well yes, but as SSV proved Victorians aren't the best at every game
Half of the top 8 in melee, including the top non-international player were Victorian (Dekar, SD, Splice and Redact).

Gords

Smash Champion
regarding Sydney/NSW and ACL
This year Sydney had ACL which was done on short notice, rushed and were lucky to be a part of. However this was the first Major Sydney has had in a long time. Not only that but when M2K was in Australia he also attended a tournament in Sydney. (I think Oats/Havok/Hall also came to Sydney at that time as well) Its not like Sydney hasnt seen international players.

I am more than happy to organize fundraisers for international players to come to Sydney Majors and is something I intend to look into for future events.

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
Half of the top 8 in melee, including the top non-international player were Victorian (Dekar, SD, Splice and Redact).
That's a numbers game, I think. Same reason the home country of the Olympics usually wins a bunch more medals than expected.

S.D

Smash Master
The biggest thing is that simply no one has tried, like its possible but someone needs to step up and organize it for their own state/tourney.

Also its funny you say javi and overtriforce, because I paid for both of them to make evo lol.
This is the biggest factor. The only reason Armada and Lucky came to Victoria is because a Victorian TO stood up and made it happen (Redact). Anyone has the capacity to do this.

PS I'm not Victorian, I just happen to live here. Proud New South Welshman.

S.D

Smash Master
Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope
Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope

Jamwa

Smash Champion
"ah hi pinkfresh this is jamie i'd just like to know if you want to come to darwin in australia for our 15 man tournament? thanks for listening ill hear from u soon"

Splice

Smash Hero

Basically this, Redact only lives in Victoria so we get all the International players

Tin Man

Smash Hero
On my end with ZEAL/ACT, I actually tried to get aMSa to come down but he was busy with work. Beyond that, contacting an international proved to be more difficult than I initially imagined and seems to require more time than I currently have, hence I changed my plans to accomodate a more nation wide audience which I don't mind because at this point I'm cool with exposing the ACT to the rest of the country while declaring "social independence" from NSW in the eyes of AUS Smash.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Amsa a working man now, 6 day work weeks and the japan work standards = no more amsa for a while outside japan lol

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
because at this point I'm cool with exposing the ACT to the rest of the country while declaring "social independence" from NSW in the eyes of AUS Smash.
ACT.... separate, from NSW?

But... but... we ENGULF you! What is this blasphemy!? :D

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
Maybe instead of getting international players we get enough money from every state to perform a satanic ritual to bring harry ponting back to life

Top Bottom