• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Your brain is more active when you're asleep then when you're watching TV. Apparently, the only way you're brain can be less active is if you were dead.
I'd LOVE to see the data on that...

Because I'm willing to bet that it was mindless programming.

I very much doubt that when watching something with a complex plotline and intriguing implications, in other words, something that forces you to think, your brain is going to be less active then when you're asleep. Unless it goes over your head or you're not paying attention.

Heck, with anything if you're not using the show as a crutch I very much doubt that it's less active, so I would think that it has a lot more to do with the style of watching then something inherent in TV.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Yea from now on I am monitoring this thread along with GoldShadow because there is way too much spamming going on. If I see anymore FACT: Brawl will be released in __ days or FACT: I don't have a fact. I will inform a mod. Ok thank you.

FACT TIME:

In the movie 'The Wizard Of Oz', Toto the dog's salary was $125 a week, while Judy Garland was $500 a week.

By partially filling saucers with vinegar and distributing the saucers around a room, you can eliminate odors.

Seaweed is used to thicken icecream.

Nearly 50% of the world’s scientists are assigned to military projects.

A group of kangaroos is called a mob.

India has a Bill of Rights for cows.

A blue whale's aorta (the main blood vessel) is large enough for a human to crawl through.

fluffy

Smash Champion
One in 500 humans has one blue eye and one brown eye.

The G in 'g-string' stand for groin.

The can opener was invented 48 years after the can.

7,000 new insect species are discovered every year.

Martha Stewart became a billionaire while in prison.

No matter how cold it gets, gasoline will not freeze.

Cleopatra wasn't Egyptian; she was Greek.

Apples are 25% air.

Only 1% of bacteria cause disease.

One in five of the world's people live in China.

More than 40 percent of all food produced in America is not eaten.

A peanut is not a nut. It is a legume.

Goat's milk is used more widely throughout the world than cow's milk.

Honey is the only food that will not spoil.

A hummingbird weighs less than a penny.

Your eye expands up to 45% when looking at something pleasing.

The first MTV video was "Video Killed the Radio Sta," by the Buggles.

Broccoli is the only vegetable that is also a flower.

Half of all identity thieves are either relatives, friends, or neighbors of their victims.

The opposite sides of a dice cube always add up to seven.

enjoy!

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
50,000 cells in your body die and are replaced every 3 seconds
you can fit 7 quadrillion Earths in the Star "Canis Majoris"

7 quadrillion = 7,000,000,000,000,000

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
By partially filling saucers with vinegar and distributing the saucers around a room, you can eliminate odors.
except the smell of vinegar? Not tryin to be a smart aleck but wouldn't somethin like Oust or Fabreeze be better? o.O

Fact: The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Oh... so you're saying you think of them every 6 seconds? ;)
Not quite. ;) But my point was that girls keep saying that and I think it's false in almost every possible way, I'll go in further detail if someone here wishes me to.

are you gay?
No, I'm just not perverted!

...by the way, what are you wearing right now?
I'm kidding. :)

Edit: Fact: I thought KrystalRules was a girl whilst writing this post.

Peeze

Smash Master
Where'd you get that from? I work in an ice cream store where we make our own ice cream. The only thing we use is cream-a mix of milk and dairy products- and flavorings(i.e. bananas for banana ice cream, strawberry puree for strawberry ice cream) but no seaweed. Maybe [some] companies use it, do but not all do.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Where'd you get that from? I work in an ice cream store where we make our own ice cream. The only thing we use is cream-a mix of milk and dairy products- and flavorings(i.e. bananas for banana ice cream, strawberry puree for strawberry ice cream) but no seaweed. Maybe [some] companies use it, do but not all do.
He said seaweed is used, not that it's used in all Ice Cream.

It doesn't suggest any portion, merely that at least one group uses it.

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
Not quite. ;) But my point was that girls keep saying that and I think it's false in almost every possible way, I'll go in further detail if someone here wishes me to.

No, I'm just not perverted!

...by the way, what are you wearing right now?
I'm kidding. :)

Edit: Fact: I thought KrystalRules was a girl whilst writing this post.
well you dont have to think of them in a bad way. and you really dont have to realize it. but all guys(straight) think of girls every 3 seconds(prolly on average)

Fact: (3rd person) KrystalRules is a guy.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
well you dont have to think of them in a bad way. and you really dont have to realize it. but all guys(straight) think of girls every 3 seconds(prolly on average)

Fact: (3rd person) KrystalRules is a guy.
Well, I wonder if it means literally every 3rd second or simply 1/3 of the time. The first case couldn't possibly be true (mm, the food is really tasty! - 3 s - breasts), and I really fail to see the truth in the latter one either. Even if it happened even somewhere down in the depths of subconsciousness, it should at some point correlate to the conscious thinking aswell. And to be honest, I haven't really noticed that.

It's hard to accept the whole concept since, firstly, we're asleep rougly 1/3 of our lives. As far as I know, we're thinking about a whole bunch of things when we're asleep, so you can't really count that in. And here as I walk this earth for the 17th year, I haven't noticed myself thinking solely about girls, females, or even sex 1/3 of the time and I'm sure I'm not that abnormal here. This whole "every 3 seconds"-things is just one of those feminist-facts that you keep hearing around.

I'd like to hear some arguments from you too, KrystalRules. ;)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
True. Well, not seaweed itself, but an extract from seaweed known as carrageenan gum is used in most brands of ice cream (and other foods) to help hold it together.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-03/952033216.Ag.r.html
http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/findsci.html

A group of kangaroos is called a mob.
True. And a group of unhappy kangaroos holding weapons and torches is called an angry mob.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngkids/amfacts/amaz4.html

India has a Bill of Rights for cows.
False. But most states in India have banned cow slaughter, due to the predominant hindu belief that holds cows sacred.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2945020.stm

A blue whale's aorta (the main blood vessel) is large enough for a human to crawl through.
False. This one came up a while ago; a blue whale aorta is 9 inches in diameter, too small for most humans; but maybe not for a tiny child.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2709967#post2709967

One in 500 humans has one blue eye and one brown eye.
Probably True. One old study found that there was approximately of 1 in 400 chance of having heterochromia (eyes of different colors), and another study found that brown-blue heterochromia was even rarer.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-1809.1966.tb00524.x
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/485098

The G in 'g-string' stand for groin.
Possibly. It's actually not known where the "G" in "G-String" came from, and there are several theories, ranging from "girdle" to "groin" to just describing its shape.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_296b.html
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE5DF173CF937A3575BC0A967958260

Apples are 25% air.
True. See http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2707787#post2707787

at .01 degrees H20 will go through all 3 of its phases at once.
Partially True. The point at which any substance is present in its three phases at once (solid, liquid, gas) is called the "triple point" of that substance. It has to be at a certain temperature and certain pressure (ShadowLink got the temperature but not the pressure). For water, it is 0.01 degrees Celsius and 0.006 atm of pressure.
http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094_NoteBook/96ClassProj/examples/triple.html

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
Well, I wonder if it means literally every 3rd second or simply 1/3 of the time. The first case couldn't possibly be true (mm, the food is really tasty! - 3 s - breasts), and I really fail to see the truth in the latter one either. Even if it happened even somewhere down in the depths of subconsciousness, it should at some point correlate to the conscious thinking aswell. And to be honest, I haven't really noticed that.

It's hard to accept the whole concept since, firstly, we're asleep rougly 1/3 of our lives. As far as I know, we're thinking about a whole bunch of things when we're asleep, so you can't really count that in. And here as I walk this earth for the 17th year, I haven't noticed myself thinking solely about girls, females, or even sex 1/3 of the time and I'm sure I'm not that abnormal here. This whole "every 3 seconds"-things is just one of those feminist-facts that you keep hearing around.

I'd like to hear some arguments from you too, KrystalRules. ;)
dude it doesnt have to be about sex. and it doesnt have to be about a specific girl! it is a girl crosses you mind every 3 seconds(3rd 2nd 1st it still happens) and i said it may be on average. I.E. think of a girl on the first second and then the third second and eventually averages out to 3 seconds! lol (and the food thing was a joke! i think of food alot thats why i said that)

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
- there's an island called Vommit island.
- some trees on vommit island get killed because of all the birds crapping and vommiting on them

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
True. Well, not seaweed itself, but an extract from seaweed known as carrageenan gum is used in most brands of ice cream (and other foods) to help hold it together.
If you didn't confirm that I totally would have. I learned in biology last year that Carrageenan is used in lots of things. Look at a carton of chocolate milk and theres probably some in there.

-Onyx

MysticKenji

Smash Master
"The warmest temperature ever recorded on Antarctica was 3 degrees F."

"A group of frogs is called an army."

"The chemicals indole and skatole, which help to account for the particular smell of human feces, are used as ingredients in perfume"

"The first alarm clock could only ring at 4 a.m."

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
- in a certain state in the United States of America(i forget which) English isnt the official language, American is.

-in Texas there is a law stating "that if two trains meet each other on the same track going opposite directions both trains must come to a complete stop and neither of them may move unless the other one does.

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
- in a certain state in the United States of America(i forget which) English isnt the official language, American is.

-in Texas there is a law stating "that if two trains meet each other on the same track going opposite directions both trains must come to a complete stop and neither of them may move unless the other one does.

LMAO.

And I thought it was stupid that having a ice cream cone in your pocket was illegal in Kentucky.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
dude it doesnt have to be about sex. and it doesnt have to be about a specific girl! it is a girl crosses you mind every 3 seconds(3rd 2nd 1st it still happens) and i said it may be on average. I.E. think of a girl on the first second and then the third second and eventually averages out to 3 seconds! lol (and the food thing was a joke! i think of food alot thats why i said that)
I understood perfectly what you meant, but you can't seem to support your view. :p

fluffy

Smash Champion
well i know that he was raised in a muslim school and his father was raised muslim

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
well i know that he was raised in a muslim school and his father was raised muslim
... It was a public school.

Sekolah Dasar Nasional (SDN) Menteng 01) aka State Elementary School Menteng 01 is a public elementary school.

Well he's black, aint he?
And how many African-Americans are Muslims?

As I remember, a greater number of them are Christians. Furthermore, that wouldn't be proof, he's a self-identifying Christian.

Top Bottom