• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

fluffy

Smash Champion
Isn't it illegal to spit in public in Singapore?
I don't know what the punishment is though...
They get caned. It's also illegal to chew gum without a prescription there.

But look how clean Singapore is. What a glorious country.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
about the birthday thing...do they share the same day, month, and year? or just the day?
Just the day. Only 365 possibilities (the calculations ignore leap years and stuff) and the odds of a collision (the term for two people having the same birthday) rise very quickly. Of course in order to have a 100% chance that you'll have a birthday collision, you have to have 366 people. (The pigeon hole principle).

fluffy

Smash Champion
okay i get it now. next question:

what's so fascinating about that then?????

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Just the day. Only 365 possibilities (the calculations ignore leap years and stuff) and the odds of a collision (the term for two people having the same birthday) rise very quickly. Of course in order to have a 100% chance that you'll have a birthday collision, you have to have 366 people. (The pigeon hole principle).
Fact: I have no clue what this means.....POST 600....YAY FOR ME!

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
How is saying 'buffalo' a bunch of times a grammatically correct sentence?
Well, first off, buffalo is a noun, like the animal, and Buffalo is a place. And, I think, buffalo can be used as a verb, kind of like "to barge through."

That's just what I figured at first glance... I bet there's a lot more to it, though.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
OH! I thought of one I didn't see as I was browsing!

Your neck muscles have the power to twist and break your spine, but your mind won't let you.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
-All goldfish are born boys.
False. I couldn't find anything to support this. I did find an old response from StraightDope that says one species of goldfish was found to be able to change from female to male.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_071.html

"More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes."
False. While this is really impossible to prove, it's extremely unlikely that donkey kicks kill people at all; on the other hand, it might be possible that donkeys hurt or injure more people than are killed in plane crashes.
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/donkey.asp

"A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court."
True. Gold is the most malleable metal, and a small cube with 2.5-inch sides could be pounded and flattened to cover a football field.
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/a1f99aa138b84010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/gold/eureka/funfacts.php

There is a rare sleeping disorder in which, when a person falls asleep, he may stay asleep for days... even months.
True. There's a rare disease called Kleine-Levine Syndrome, or Recurrent Primary Hypersomnia, in which a person might actually fall asleep for weeks at a time. Read more about it in the following articles (about actual people who have the disease), as well as a more technical breakdown of the disease from eMedicine:
http://www.wpxi.com/news/9947112/detail.html?subid=22105244&qs=1;bp=t
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/medical-mysteries/rip-van-winkle-disease
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3129.htm

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Interesting Facts 2.0 Third Thread Awards!

It's been all too long since the last "Interesting Facts" awards were given out! So here are, once again, the members who've helped this thread the most since the last awards were given out. It was hard to pick just a few people from all the posts, so congratulations to the winners and thanks to everyone else. Let's keep this thread going and the facts coming... and you might win an(other) award next time.
Here are the winners in alphabetical order:

AltF4Warrior
: Gold Fact Checker Trophy, Resident Mathematician Award, Platinum Contributor Award, Thread Veteran Pin
Bailey: Gold Contributor Award, Thread Veteran Pin
Best101: Bronze Contributor Award
blowtoes: Silver Contributor Award
Falco&Victory: Bronze Contributor Award, Novice Fact Checker Award, Thread Veteran Pin
fluffy: Silver Contributor Award
Handorin: Bronze Contributor Award, Thread Veteran Pin
Jammer: Interesting Facts Thread Trophy, Platinum Contributor Award, Up-and-coming Fact Checker Award
Keku: Silver Contributor Award
Mr.Lombardi34: Bronze Contributor Award
MysticKenji: Platinum Contributor Award, Thread Veteran Pin

Link to Second Awards
Link to First Awards

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Neat, I got a prize! I'm not quite feeling like I've earned it, but hey, thanks anyway. ;) I'll keep the occasional facts coming.

Oh, here's one: The muscles that make your palm move are in fact located below your elbows and are only connected to the palm with a couple of ligaments. You can try this yourself by watching your arm while squeezing your fist. It's pretty obvious when you do it, but you don't really come to think of it. (Atleast I did not.)

Jammer

Smash Lord
Jammer: Interesting Facts Thread Trophy, Platinum Contributor Award, Up-and-coming Fact Checker Award
Is the Interesting Facts Thread Trophy the biggest award? If so, I'm flattered. Well, I'm still flattered if it's not. Man, I always think it's silly when people get excited about getting awards over the internet, like the Wikipedia Barnstars, that cost nothing and are not in any way official, but when I get some, it makes me feel warm and gooey inside.

Or maybe that's just the chocolate I ate.

But I would like to give GoldShadow the awards he deserves:

GoldShadow: Transcendent Fact Checker Trophy, Platinum Contributor Award, The Order of the Scholar Enlightened Judgement Award, Thread Veteran Pin

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer

Jammer

Smash Lord
Fact: All Mammals(including us) have the same amount of vertibrae in our neck
I believe that manatees (sea cows) have one less vertebra than other mammals. I seem to be having trouble finding proof of this on the net, though.

Also, it's spelled "vertebrae", not "vertibrae". Just so we all know.

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
I believe that manatees (sea cows) have one less vertebra than other mammals. I seem to be having trouble finding proof of this on the net, though.

Also, it's spelled "vertebrae", not "vertibrae". Just so we all know.
sorry i accually said that wrong it was sopposed to be all land animals. some sea animals do not.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
All mammals have mammary (sp?) nipples.
Mostly True. A more correct statement would be "all mammals have mammary glands", because not all mammals have nipples. In the platypus and echidna, the mammary glands just secrete milk without a nipple, so it kind of just leaks out of the fur :ohwell:

Fact: All Mammals(including us) have the same amount of vertibrae in our neck
Mostly True. Nearly all mammals have 7 cervical (neck) vertebrae. Like Jammer said, the manatee does not; it has 6 vertebrae in its neck. However, neither does a land animal, the sloth, which also has 6 vertebrae in its neck!

http://whale.wheelock.edu/archives/ask97/0341.html
http://8e.devbio.com/article.php?ch=&id=115
http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/vertebral_variation_hox_genes_development_and_cancer/

Handorin

Smash Hero
Mostly True. A more correct statement would be "all mammals have mammary glands", because not all mammals have nipples. In the platypus and echidna, the mammary glands just secrete milk without a nipple, so it kind of just leaks out of the fur :ohwell:
I thought that was it, but I couldnt remember how to spell mammary, so I just put nipples. XD

Fact: I'm really lazy.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Well I won again I rocks. Also this thread delivers.

GoldShadow I would give you an award but I suck at making up cool titles. So, uh you rockz harder lol.

MyReincarnation

Smash Cadet
NNID
Theoriginal87
In the part of a nintendo power issue where it says the volume there are part-pictures that hint upcoming releases. Stacking the nintendo power issues vertically in correct order shows the hints.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Yea I just subscribed to this now to lol.

Fact time to keep my title:

More than 400,000 Americans die from diseases related to cigarette smoking each year. More than 150,000 Americans die of alcohol abuse each year. But in 10,000 years of usage, no one has ever died from marijuana.

There are 10 towns named Hollywood in the United States.

A Boeing 747 airliner holds 57,285 gallons of fuel.

About 1 in 30 people, in the U.S., are in jail, on probation, or on parole.

Mosquitoes prefer children to adults, blonds to brunettes.

Every U.S. president with a beard has been a Republican.

A survey reported that 12% of Americans think that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife.

One cubic mile of seawater contains about 50 pounds of gold.

The great warrior Ghengis Khan died in bed while having sex.

ChemicalJustice

Smash Cadet
I dunno if these were already mentioned, but...

Your brain is more active when you're asleep then when you're watching TV. Apparently, the only way you're brain can be less active is if you were dead.

Female horses are the only mammals other than female humans that have a hymen.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I call BS. that seems like a verry large generalization.

perhaps this is true of when you are watching commercials, but I have found myself verry engaged with TV if it is a good show. you cant tell me that when LOST fans watch LOST their brain is asleep.

fluffy

Smash Champion
super smash brothers brawl is the longest delayed game

i thought it might be true...

Top Bottom