• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Agenie04991

Smash Cadet
Some futuristic facts:

-Scientists can store information in the DNA of bacteria. Compared to computer storage, this technology could allow information to be stored for thousands of years.
-IBM says they can use the magnetic field of individual atoms to represent 1's and 0's as in computer storage. Processors the size of specks of dusts could lie ahead.
-Scientists have a working model of a refrigerator that runs on magnets instead of electricity, making them ultra-quiet and ultra-environment friendly.
-If the current rate of overfishing continues, the world could run out of seafood within 50 years.
-Scientists are building a giant storage freezer in the arctic to store seeds from plants and crops from all over the world just as a backup in case of an armageddon.

Heh, now that I have an award, I'd better start acting like I deserve it...:laugh:

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
Some futuristic facts:

-Scientists can store information in the DNA of bacteria. Compared to computer storage, this technology could allow information to be stored for thousands of years.
-IBM says they can use the magnetic field of individual atoms to represent 1's and 0's as in computer storage. Processors the size of specks of dusts could lie ahead.
-Scientists have a working model of a refrigerator that runs on magnets instead of electricity, making them ultra-quiet and ultra-environment friendly.
-If the current rate of overfishing continues, the world could run out of seafood within 50 years.
-Scientists are building a giant storage freezer in the arctic to store seeds from plants and crops from all over the world just as a backup in case of an armageddon.

Heh, now that I have an award, I'd better start acting like I deserve it...:laugh:
Wow.

Wow because not only are they VERY interesting(if true, lol) but its improvements in technology that we really need for a better world in the future. *cough*globalwarming*cough*

Florida

イーグランツ
Something I've recently learned:
The Japanese language (as well as others) has no curse words included. If they do curse, then they'll use the English language to do so.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
No one feels like researching my facts? Why not guys?
There's far too many.

More facts, this time about colors.

-Crayola has about 150 different colors.
-The color 'Alice Blue' is named after Theodore Roosevelt's daughter.
-Every town and city in the original Pokemon games were named after colors except Pallet Town
-There are over 20 variants of Lavender.
-The color Zinnwaldite is often referred to as beige.
-The Hooloovoo, a fictional race in the 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series, is described as a sentient shade of blue.
These are true

-H.P. Lovecraft wrote a short story called 'The Color Out of Space', which was about an indescribable color.
Semi-true. It's really about a surveyour from Boston, but the toxic substance of indrescribable color is important

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
There's far too many.
If I took the time to find them somebody can take the time to study them

An indescribable color is a scientific impossibility, as the brain can only create a certain range of colors. Some humans can see a slightly wider spectrum, but there is still no way to create a new color that humans can see.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Falco&Victory, despite what people say, no one wants to check your facts because you post knowingly wrong facts just to see if people check them. You spam the topic, you do no research, you're completely useless. This isn't a "Check the facts!" thread, it's an "interesting Facts!" thread. You should not post stuff and then wait for someone to tell you your wrong. Get attention elsewhere.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
This is off topic but I was just reading pages 1-20 so I could catch up, and I saw a connection between interesting facts I just couldn't ignore given that I deplore the state of rule in my own country.

The U.S. had better start lining up some skilled generals, because the world's greatest chess player, Gary Kasparov, is going to be running for office in Russia. If he gets in, we'd better watch our backs. Because his bishops are gonna take us Queen-side, if ya know what I mean.

Hahaha! So true. Everything is in such disarray there. It's not even really news about Kasparov. I just find the thought of Russia's leader being a chess grand master, while he have... well... It's a funny thought.

An IQ (Intelligence Quotient) of ~100 is about average.

Higher than 146~150 places you in the "Gifted" range. Higher than 171~176 puts you on the intelligence level of a genius. Now for the other end of the spectrum. Less than 50~54 puts you at "********". A score less than 10~16 would make you a "Profound Moron". A score of under 4~10 would leave you classified as an "Idiot".

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

The chart makes a mildly amusing read. I like their word choice.

So Russia's Savant vs. U.S.A's Profound Moron?

CHECKMATE SON!

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Falco&Victory, despite what people say, no one wants to check your facts because you post knowingly wrong facts just to see if people check them. You spam the topic, you do no research, you're completely useless. This isn't a "Check the facts!" thread, it's an "interesting Facts!" thread. You should not post stuff and then wait for someone to tell you your wrong. Get attention elsewhere.
??? You can't just post facts and expect people to believe them, someone else has to research them. That's why goldshadow is such a great person.

And Is the chess-playing champ really running for office? He beat the world's best chess algorithm, what the hell are we going to do? He can think hundreds of moves ahead, we're dead if he goes hitler on us!

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
??? You can't just post facts and believe people to believe them, someone else has to research them. That's why goldshadow is such a great person.
I don't mean to be rude, but do you even read what you type?

fact:

the purpose of this thread was to post factual information with credible sources, the fact that goldshadow went around proving weither stated "facts" were right or wrong was his own individual choice.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Oh, sorry for the grammar error, I'm on my wii and you can't see what you type that well.

Something I've recently learned:
The Japanese language (as well as others) has no curse words included. If they do curse, then they'll use the English language to do so.
True, doesn't mean that insults do not exist though.

You know what... EDIT: Sorry for being a jerk, just going through a lot of every kind of drama right now. Relationship issues, family issues, combined with school stress and you have one pissed teenager.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Fact: We don't care.

Also:

-It is impossible to fold a piece of paper more then 10 times. Mythbusters only got to 10 using the thinest paper, and it being huge

Bailey

Smash Hero
No paper can't be folded infinitely it is impossible to do. 10 was with a piece of paper the size of a airplane hanger I believe and the thinest type of paper and they only got 10.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Fact: One little piece of pure chocolate a day, keeps the doctor away.

A little piece of pure chocolate is good for you. The cacao in it prevents clogging up your arteries if I recall correctly.

Milk chocolate on the other hand, isn't that good for you.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
No paper can't be folded infinitely it is impossible to do. 10 was with a piece of paper the size of a airplane hanger I believe and the thinest type of paper and they only got 10.
But If you had a larger piece the weight of the paper would make it fold upon itself, it's a question of exponential growth. Who says they can't get a piece of paper that was 2 or 3 times larger? Not likely to happen, but it is possible.

Pure chocolate is good for you, but I don't like the taste

Sandy

Smash Champion
101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan (Wendy) are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die throughout the movie.

315 entries in Webster's Dictionary will be misspelled.

A cow produces 200 times more gas a day than a person.

A shark can detect one part of blood in 100 million parts of water.

A walla-walla scene is one where extras pretend to be talking in the background -- when they say "walla-walla" it looks like they are actually talking.

There is a town in Newfoundland, Canada called Dildo.

The state of Florida is bigger than England.

The condom - made originally of linen - was invented in the early 1500s.

The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "Its A Wonderful Life".

Texas is also the only state that is allowed to fly its state flag at the same height as the U.S. flag.

Los Angeles's full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula" and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its original size: "L.A."

In the 1940s, the FCC assigned television's Channel 1 to mobile services (two-way radios in taxicabs, for instance) but did not re-number the other channel assignments. That is why your TV set has channels 2 and up, but no channel 1.

Einstein couldn't speak fluently when he was nine. His parents thought he might be ********.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Texas is also the only state that is allowed to fly its state flag at the same height as the U.S. flag.
False, there is no law or reasoning that states Texas is allowed to fly it's flag the same height as the U.S. Flag. We just do because our goverment is a bunch of egotistical *******s who like to piss people off. I mean, ****, not only do we have a "State pledge" we have to recite daily with the american pledge, but the legislators decided to add "Under God" in it this year, just to piss people off. What an amazing body of leaders.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan (Wendy) are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die throughout the movie.
False. 'Mulan' kept both parents alive throughout the whole movie. The couple in 101 dalmations weren't parents.

315 entries in Webster's Dictionary will be misspelled.
Wrong. Misspelled is but a single entry, not 315. :p

Yes, I know that's not what he meant.

A cow produces 200 times more gas a day than a person.
Possibly. I know they release a lot of gasses through burping, not sure of the amount, though.
A shark can detect one part of blood in 100 million parts of water.

A walla-walla scene is one where extras pretend to be talking in the background -- when they say "walla-walla" it looks like they are actually talking.
False. I've tested this out myself; Saying walla-walla doesn't make you look like you're talking. I believe you're thinking of 'Rudebaker Watermelon'

There is a town in Newfoundland, Canada called Dildo.
True.

The condom - made originally of linen - was invented in the early 1500s.
False. Heiroglyphics in Ancient Egypt have shown men wearing condoms. The earliest known condom was made of animal intestine.
That's all I've managed to research so far.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
F&V, this is a facts thread, not a logical guessing thread.
Everyone is over intepreting, it is NOT impossible to fold a piece of paper more than 10 times. Where's GoldShadow or AltF4 when you need them?

In a survey, most women would rather have chocolate than sex

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A quarter of the world's plants are threatened with extinction by the year 2010.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The fastest speed a falling raindrop can hit you is 18mph.(assuming there are no winds)

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The mortality rate if bitten by a Black Mamba snake is over 95%.[/FONT]

Bailey

Smash Hero
It is impossible to fold a piece of paper more then 10 times. You just can't do it. Dude if your so certain you can record yourself doing it and putting it on youtube then.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
What about Lady and the Tramp? Those parents stay together.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
It is impossible to fold a piece of paper more then 10 times. You just can't do it. Dude if your so certain you can record yourself doing it and putting it on youtube then.
I'm done with this argument until Goldshadow comes back, it's just common sense. They even explained on the mythbusters episode why this was true. So if they had only been able to fold a slightly smaller piece of paper 9 times I bet you would think no one could fold a piece of paper more than that, right?

Facts:
Playing bass drum is killing my back, seriously, I can't walk after wearing it :(
Japanese took there writing characters from the Chinese
The Japanese character for 'day' means 'sun'
The Japanese character for 'moon' means 'month'

Bailey

Smash Hero
I'm done with this argument until Goldshadow comes back, it's just common sense. They even explained on the mythbusters episode why this was true. So if they had only been able to fold a slightly smaller piece of paper 9 times I bet you would think no one could fold a piece of paper more than that, right?

Facts:
Playing bass drum is killing my back, seriously, I can't walk after wearing it :(
Japanese took there writing characters from the Chinese
The Japanese character for 'day' means 'sun'
The Japanese character for 'moon' means 'month'
Um why would I say you couldn't fold it 9 times if they say they could? Way to fail

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Epic ban, that's sig worthy
And I don't remember the exact quote. But they even explained that the exponential growth of the thickness of a piece of paper meant you would have to at least double the size of a piece to be able to create another fold. The one they did ended up being about 3 feet thick.

Wounds infested with maggots heal quickly and without spread of gangrene or other infection.

The risk of being struck by a falling meteorite for a human is one occurrence every 9,300 years.

To escape the Earth's gravity a rocket need to travel at 7 miles a second.

Our oldest radio broadcasts of the 1930s have already traveled past 100,000 stars.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I was scrolling through Hiemie's Rules, and I found this prophocy...

Varuna said:
Rule # 9 One day if the Proom ever gets so bad that it is absolutely untolerable to even see it listed under general disscusion, Crimson_King will descend upon it as tongues of fire and kill everyone who inhabits it. This event is preordained as the fourth purging
Is it just me, or has this actually happened?!?

There is no naturally blue food. Besides blueberries.

Sanjuinuthus

Smash Apprentice
Wait, why don't you just get a piece of paper bigger than an airplane hangar and fold it 11 times? Mythbusters got to 10, so wouldn't a paper even bigger go further?

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Zook said:
There is no naturally blue food. Blueberries are purple.
False.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry
Wikipedia said:
Blueberries are one of only a few human foods that are naturally colored blue.
And I might as well add some more facts...

If you’re over 100 years old, there’s an 80% chance you’re a woman.

World’s heaviest primates: morbidly obese humans. After that: gorillas at 485 lbs.

Drivers kill more deer than hunters.

Top Bottom