• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oooooh, yea. I've seen that color illusion thing before. It blew my mind, I had to tear it apart in paint to believe it. Those two blocks really are the same color.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Did anyone see that Jesus illusion thing? Where you starr at the weird picture and then look at a wall? That is awesome.
It's simply inverting the colors of a picture. Stare at the white text of my post, and then look at a wall. You'll see Blackish-bluish text. It's simply how the eye works. The light is temporarily burned into the eye.

Peeze

Smash Master
Flea's can jump 130 times higher than their own height. In human terms this is equal to a 6ft. person jumping 780 ft. into the air.
Snakes are true carnivorous because they eat nothing but other animals. They do not eat any type of plant material(ON PURPOSE)
There are no poisonous snakes in Maine.
The ears of a cricket are located on the front legs, just below the knee.
Chimps are the only animals that can recognize themselves in a mirror.
The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I think F&V is just trying to annoy us....or get banned again.

It's really not worth my time to argue with him.

If you put all the streets in New York City together in a line, they would reach to japan.
Haha, I'll test it out myself!
I will survive the fall... just not the landing!

Oh, and that color square thing is an example of your brain simply refusing to interpret that image as 2D, even though it is.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
So a person who isnt average would die?

EDIT: Go back and check your post if you got confused.
some people have heart attacks and die while falling. =/ sucks for them

-Ken just brought it in the Bowser boards spam thread
-A dog's sense of smell is 50X stronger than a humans, in average
-Losing one sense strengthens your other senses

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
People already die falling out of ten story buildings. How does an average person survive that kind of fall?

Woodpeckers tap on trees not only as a way finding food but also as a way of communication.
Woodpeckers have to peck at their trees at exactly the right way or they shatter their beaks and die.
Woodpeckers dont dig into holes for insects, but usually for tree sap. (grubby, little insects are just a plus)
Woodpeckers are cool.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Anyway, the average human could survive a 20,000 foot fall, even with sharp rocks at the bottom =p
Somewhat true. Depending on how the person lands, they may just break their legs. Although, to live, you would have to be going with your legs strait down underneath you. Otherwise, you will almost certainly die.

Anyone know who the 'trademark' Proomers are nowadays? Skywalker, Duke, and Dibs a rarely seen anymore.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you can solve any rubiks cube in 17 moves

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Somewhat true. Depending on how the person lands, they may just break their legs. Although, to live, you would have to be going with your legs strait down underneath you. Otherwise, you will almost certainly die.

Anyone know who the 'trademark' Proomers are nowadays? Skywalker, Duke, and Dibs a rarely seen anymore.

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND?
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the landing :p
mindgamed

you can solve any rubiks cube in 17 moves
Not sure on this one, probably true though. I bet I could mess up a rubix cube horribly though

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Can we ban people from this thread?

Please?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
They're the ones who 'Rule the Pool.' People everyone know. Sometimes for being witty, othertimes for their master-of-spam powers.

Cheney is a robot. The reason he goes to the hospital so often is to get his circuits rewired.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Not sure on this one, probably true though. I bet I could mess up a rubix cube horribly though
It's true. No matter how "messed up" you make it, it can easily be rearranged into another pattern using algorithms and then just finishing it off. I can solve Rubick's Cube, and my friends always swore up and down I wouldnt be able to solve it because they could mess it up "bad." All just simple patterns...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Zook, you should change the title of this thread to the "Post fake facts, then see how long it takes someone to correct you" thread.

Agenie04991

Smash Cadet
I thought 26 quarter turns was the current 'guaranteed solution' algorithm. If I'm not mistaken (which I very well could be) the number was recently lowered to 26 from 27 and it was some super big deal for the Rubik's Cube community.

On an unrelated interesting fact note, honey never spoils.

Also, would anyone happen to know how a car speedometer works? I'm always too lazy to look it up.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Also, would anyone happen to know how a car speedometer works? I'm always too lazy to look it up.
:ohwell:

Fact.

It just cost you more time, energy, and effort to type that up in SWF than it would cost you to type that same question into google and click "I'm feeling lucky."

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
I mostly have facts related to video games, but meh.

-Atari's "Adventure" was both the first action-adventure game, and the first known game to include an easter egg.
-Pong wasn't the first video game; Tennis for Two was.
-The video game "Megaman" was originally an Astr Boy video game.
-R.O.B., the gaming peripheral, was the reason we still have video games today. After the Video Game Crash, retailers wouldn't carry video games anymore. Including R.O.B. allowed Nintendo to pass off the NES as a toy.
-The Pokemon "Kirlia" is actually named after a famous ballet dancer.
-The top three best selling game franchises are Mario, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy, in that order.
-Atari originally didn't credit their programmers.
-Atari was given partial rights to the original "Donkey Kong", but decided against keeping them.

Now, something not video game related:

-The longest word in any language is actually a fricassee recipe mentioned in a play, "Lopadotemakhoselakhogaleokranioleipsanodrimypotrimmatosilphiokarabomelitokatakekhymenokikhlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptokephalliokigklopeleiolagōiosiraiobaphētraganopterýgōn" It is, in fact, one word, the space is just because my computer's screwy.
-A turkey's neck turns bright red when it is embarrassed.

Feel free to prove/disprove.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Humans have 46 chromosomes, peas have 14 and crayfish have 200.

Each person sheds 40lbs of skin in his or her lifetime.

A healthy person has 6,000 million, million, million hemoglobin molecules.

A thimbleful of a neutron star would weigh over 100 million tons.(theoretically, of course)

The largest dinosaur ever discovered was Seismosaurus who was over 100 feet long and weighed up to 80 tons.

90% of those who die from hurricanes die from drowning.

A neutron star is 15 miles across and weighs more than the Sun.

Organisms can live in temperatures up to 133 centigrade.

The biggest shark species has the smallest teeth. The 12 meter long whale shark has more than 4,000 teeth, each only 3mm long.

At just 12 weeks the human fetus can scowl and squint.

Any 1 of a 1000 viruses can cause the common cold.

The oceans contain enough salt to cover all the continents to a depth of nearly 500 feet.

The human brain is 2% of the body's weight but uses a hungry 20% of its energy.

If more than 23 people gather in a room there is a better than 1 in 2 chance that at least two of them will share the same birthday.(think about it)

It takes the Earth exactly 365.242199 days to orbit the Sun - and that is why every four years we need a leap year.

Polar Bears cannot be detected by infrared cameras, due to their transparent fur.

By 2150 there will be 10 billion humans. In 2000 there were 6 billion.(if there are no wars or whatever of course)

The largest group of insects are the beetles with over 400,000 different species.

Spider web filaments were used in gun sights as the 'cross hairs' until the early 1960's.

Up to 15,000 dust mites can live and thrive in just one gram of dust.

The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint - no two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.

Amongst the many words that Shakespeare invented are assassination, bump, lonely, bloodstained, leapfrog and mountaineer.

The weight of air in a milk glass is about the same as the weight of one aspirin tablet.

75 percent of people who play the car radio while driving also sing along with it.

According to a poll, 58 percent of those responding admitted that they had falsely called in sick to get a day off from work.

A drop of water may travel thousands of miles between the time it evaporates into the atmosphere and the time it falls to the Earth again as rain, sleet, or snow.

A green flash is sometimes seen just as the sun sets or rises. This occurs because green light is bent most strongly by the atmosphere. So the green is seen before other colors at sunrise, and after the other colors have vanished at sunset.

A green flash is sometimes seen just as the sun sets or rises. This occurs because green light is bent most strongly by the atmosphere. So the green is seen before other colors at sunrise, and after the other colors have vanished at sunset.

365 different languages are spoken in Indonesia.

There is no one who does not dream. Those who claim to have no dreams, laboratory tests have determined, simply forget their dreams more easily than others.

A survey of 1,023 children aged 10 to 13 showed the number who felt uncomfortable talking with their parents nearly doubles when they turn 13.

Over fifty billion aspirin tablets are taken worldwide each year.

It is estimated that 60 percent of home smoke detectors in use do not work because they don't have a battery in them, or the battery has run out.

Rabbits cannot vomit.

One in every ten people in the world live on an island.

The petals of the world's largest flower are 1.5 feet long.

The average person receives eight birthday cards annually.

A single second of video tape contains about 22 megabytes of data, the very rough equivalent of about thirty copies of a 200 page book.

In 1973, scientists discovered receptors for opiates on neurons in several regions of the brain that suggested the brain must make substances very similar to opium.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
Quicksand is formed when sand, clay, and water are mixed in just the right way, with a surface that seems solid until you step on it, and it suddenly becomes liquid!
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

The machine to win the first flying prize in 1901 was an airship.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As many as 80 percent of men experience enlargement of the prostate, a gland at the base of the bladder that produces fluid needed to transport and nourish sperm. While the problem does not generally affect sexual capacity or enjoyment, it causes more frequent or difficult urination.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It typically takes twelve years and close to billion dollars to develop a new medicine.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Boomtown Rats, whose lead singer was Bob Geldof, biggest hit was inspired by a female random killer whose excuse was 'I don't like Mondays'.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Two of the greatest writers who ever lived, William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes (who wrote Don Quixote), both died on 23rd April 1616.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. This number is a multiplier that tells you how much longer you can remain in the sun without burning when wearing a sun block. For instance, if you can usually tolerate the sun for 10 minutes without a burn, an SPF 15 will provide you with 15 times that, or 150 minutes of protection without burning.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Rice plants may have up to 55,000 genes.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since perfume scent retains longer on oily skin, apply a layer of petroleum jelly (eg, Vaseline) onto your skin before putting on perfume.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As women age, there is a general thinning of head hair. But many older women experience an increase in hair elsewhere: an estimated 40 percent of women over the age of 80 are likely to be troubled by excessive facial hair.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Johannes Kepler used the recorded movement of Mars to formulate his three laws of planetary motion in the 17th Century, which laid the foundation for modern Astronomy.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The 'Red Planet' isn't really red at all, NASA photographs indicate that it is more of a tan or butterscotch color.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The word “Jeep” comes from “GP” which is short for General Purpose.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epilepsy can start at any age and can result from inheriting a mutant gene.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Research has shown that the sun impacts our productivity at work and school. Workers in offices with constant sunlight and large windows have been shown to be both more efficient with their time and more accurate in completing their tasks.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The speed of sound in water is approximately 1500 m/s while the speed of sound in air is approximately 340 m/s. Therefore, a 20 Hz sound in the water is 75 m long whereas a 20 Hz sound in air is 17 m long.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Smell and taste are both intimately related. More than 90 per cent of a meal's flavor - apart from the four basic tastes of sweet, sour, bitter and salty - is actually fragrance, which rises up from food during chewing and is forced across the olfactory epithelium through the nasopharynx at the back of the throat.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Of the roughly 6500 languages now spoken, up to half are already endangered or on the brink of extinction. Linguists estimate that a language dies somewhere in the world every two weeks.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Talking machines really hit the commercial mainstream in 1978, when Texas Instruments released Speak and Spell, the first device in which the human voice was electronically duplicated on a single chip.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The average human brain consumes just 12 Watts of power - about one-tenth of what it takes to burn an ordinary light bulb.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The human retina is made up of about 120 million rod cells.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]About five percent of the fathers of non-autistic children are employed in some kind of engineering, compared with about twelve percent of the fathers of children with autism.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The UK National Lottery says that 27% of female winners keep the winning ticket in their bra.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Walter Diemer, an accountant for Fleer, invented modern bubble gum, in 1928. Pink was the only coloring nearby when he made the first batch and so the trend was set. The gum was named Dubble Bubble.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A poll of 1,004 Americans for TIME and CNN in 1996 found that 82 percent believed in the healing power of prayer, and 64 percent that doctors should pray with their patients.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In 2000, across the global economy, travel and tourism accounted for around 11 per cent of world exports, goods and services, surpassing trade in food, textiles, and chemicals.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]60.8 million Americans have some form of cardiovascular disease, ranging from congenital heart defects to high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There is a medical condition called Anosmia, where the sufferers have no sense of smell at all. They can still sense sweet, sour, bitter and salty tastes; but flavor, which is virtually all smell, is totally gone. So that for example they would not be able to savor fine wine, or enjoy lemon meringue pie. Hell indeed!

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The average cup of coffee contains more than 1000 different chemical components, none of which is tasted in isolation but only as part of the overall flavor.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The largest known Nebula (cloud of gas and dust) is the Tarantula Nebula, named for its shape.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A Martian day is surprisingly similar in length to one on Earth (24 hours and 37 minutes), but a Martian year is nearly twice as long (687 days).

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Laser stands for 'Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation'. A laser beam is produced when light bounces back and forth between two mirrors with a special medium (gas, liquid, or solid) between them. As it bounces, the light triggers energized atoms in the medium to release more light, some of which leaks out through one of the mirrors to produce the laser beam.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Quicksand is formed when sand, clay, and water are mixed in just the right way, with a surface that seems solid until you step on it, and it suddenly becomes liquid![/FONT]

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
A lot of your facts, F&V, have to do with weight in space. I'm just curious how you, or they (whoever researched this) know the weight of a gaseous mass in the vacuum of space. Density would make much more sense.

I just might not know though.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
A lot of your facts, F&V, have to do with weight in space. I'm just curious how you, or they (whoever researched this) know the weight of a gaseous mass in the vacuum of space. Density would make much more sense.

I just might not know though.
It's based on theory and average density, and so on. Hard to really prove or disprove them

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Interesting Facts 2.0 Second Periodic Awards!

I'm happy to present to you, the Second Interesting Facts Thread Awards! These are members who've considerably helped this thread since the last set of awards. Many thanks to all of them! And thanks to everyone who didn't make the list as well; keep posting facts, and keep checking facts, and next time you might get some awards.

Agenie04491: Silver Contributor Award, Novice Fact-Checker Award
AltF4Warrior: Platinum Fact-Checker Trophy, Gold Contributor Award
Bailey: Thread Support Pin
Drab Emordnilap: Fact-Checker Certificate
Eorlingas: Humor Trophy, Bronze Contributor Award
Falco&Victory: Platinum Contributor Award, Intermediate Fact-Checker Award
Handorin: Bronze Contributor Award
HeadISBAgent: Fact-Checker Medal, Silver Contributor Award
Lixivium: Advanced Fact-Checker Award, Bronze Contributor Award
Mr.Lombardi34: Gold Contributor Award, Thread Support Pin
MysticKenji: Gold Contributor Award
Ripple: Bronze Contributor Award
Schweppes: Advanced Fact-Checker Award
Zook: Humor Pin, Bronze Contributor Award

If you'd like to see the first Interesting Facts 2.0 Awards, click here.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Too bad you're not a mod, then you could put some sort of medal like the BRoomer grimer or the writers pen.

Anyway, I edited in more facts. HAVE FUN!

Goldshadow: Platinum award maker

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Yaaaay!!! Gold contributer! What exactly is the support pin? Oh well, glad to have it anyway! Thanks for the dedication goldshadow!

LOL I just went to get snapple to celebrate (Which is the OFFICIAL drink of Interesting facts 2.0) exept I already posted the fact on it :). Oh well.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
More facts, this time about colors.

-Crayola has about 150 different colors.
-The color 'Alice Blue' is named after Theodore Roosevelt's daughter.
-Police cars used to be painted black and white; this was believed to contribute to police brutality. In order to remedy this, police cars were painted white and baby blue.
-Every town and city in the original Pokemon games were named after colors.
-There are over 20 variants of Lavender.
-The color Zinnwaldite is often referred to as beige.
-The Hooloovoo, a fictional race in the 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series, is described as a sentient shade of blue.
-H.P. Lovecraft wrote a short story called 'The Color Out of Space', which was about an indescribable color.

Top Bottom