• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
Every day, about 6 babies worldwide are given to the wrong parents.

The shortest complete sentence in the english language is "I am."

There are 4 English words with no rhymes: Month, silver, orange, and purple. Circus is not one of them.
this is way in the beginning but orange rhymes with door hinge.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
this is way in the beginning but orange rhymes with door hinge.
Only if you pronounce it a certain way.

Farmers in England are required by law to provide their pigs with toys

Kermit the frog delivered the commencement address at Southampton College located in the state of New York in 1996

Technically speaking, crystal glass is actually a liquid that flows very slowly

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Wait, why don't you just get a piece of paper bigger than an airplane hangar and fold it 11 times? Mythbusters got to 10, so wouldn't a paper even bigger go further?
Lol, that's what I'm saying

-The government is run by outer-space invaders

-Watermelons are mostly, tada, water

-Blueberries are blue....

-Prehistoric bees had a sort of saw blade instead of a stinger, who da thunk it?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Spiders have silk spinning glands called spinnerets, at the tip of their abdomen.

There are more than 30,000 species of spiders.

Tarantulas shed their furry skin as they grow, leaving behind what looks just like another tarantula.

Male spiders are usually smaller than female spiders.(just like with humans lol)

Webs get dirty and torn, so lots of spiders make a new one every day. They don't waste the old one, though--they roll it up into a ball and eat it!

The trapdoor spider spins a web in a hole in the ground, and then catches insects as they walk by.

The tarantula is the largest in the spider family and may live for more than 30 years.

Daddy long legs are not true spiders

Spiders can be f'in creepy, especially those HUGE thin legged ones in hawaii, ugh...

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'm still supporting banning Falco&Victory from the thread

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Ooh, congratz on moderator, when did that happen? Yeah, and I was kind of emo that day, my grandma died ]`=, so I was being a jerk. I had to apologize to about half my friends...

aaaaaaaaaanyway, MORE facts lol

Ferret facts:

Ferrets seldom cause allergies. People who are generally allergic to cats and dogs don't usually have problems with ferrets.

Ferrets seldom cause allergies. People who are generally allergic to cats and dogs don't usually have problems with ferrets.

Ferrets are classified as domestic animals, who are completely dependent on people for their existence. They are commonly mistaken for their distant cousin, the wild Black Footed Ferret, which is now endangered. To compare a Black Footed Ferret to a domestic ferret is like comparing a toy poodle to a wolf or a domestic short haired cat to a mountain lion.

A group of ferrets is called a "business".

A female ferret is called a Jill and a male is called a Hob. A spayed female is called a Sprite and a neutered male is called a Gib.

Ferrets were given as gifts by Queen Victoria who raised albino ferrets.

Ferrets do not claw or chew on furniture and are very quiet animals that do not make much noise.

Ferrets will never give you a dull moment. They are very inquisitive and playful when awake, but sleep most of the day (16 hours), if allowed to. They easily adapt to their owners schedule and will be awake when they are home and attentive.

I'm pro-ferret

Ferrets for US congress!

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
Yes, I see someone watched the mythbusters episode that was on earlier today...Yea, I beleive Adam said that it would take 198 to 205 decibells to kill someone.
haha, yeah. I lol'd when he was taking about the speaker and said something along the lines of "It was so delightfully barbaric and primitive"

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Why the hell would you create a 3.0 when this one still exists? I mean, the only thing that would happen is that every fact that was posted in this threat will also be posted in the new one, and be rechecked for no reason.

So instead, you could try to find some new facts and/or check facts that already have been posted.

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
it hurts to chew tin foil because our body produces it's own electric field, which the amalgam in your fillings taps into and becomes a pseudo battery. then the aluminum foil mixed wet with your saliva acts like the polar end of the battery and sends about a 2 volt shock down the roots of your teeth. You taste metal because of the tin ions released.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Thats why I dont check facts, because to check them you actually have to know things....and besides, why did zook make a second version then???
You can look them up on the intrawebs, but be careful, you should really check if the source you are getting it from is plausible. If you are gonna check on "interesting facts" sites, you'll probably find out there's nothing more then the same fact written again.

As for you're question, the original Interesting Facts thread was I believe over a year old. Or at least, old enough to not bump it and start a new one.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Seed of Sorrow said:
it hurts to chew tin foil because our body produces it's own electric field, which the amalgam in your fillings taps into and becomes a pseudo battery. then the aluminum foil mixed wet with your saliva acts like the polar end of the battery and sends about a 2 volt shock down the roots of your teeth. You taste metal because of the tin ions released.
I'd always wondered why tin foil hurts to chew, very interesting.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Fact: I just read through 14 pages (40 posts per page) of GoldShadow being 12 times as gangster as anyone else to have posted in this thread, including myself.

12 times is not an approximate, it is exact.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
A couple old ones (I want to work my way up... and I'll probably skip a bunch in the process. Oh well):

Humans have 46 chromosomes, peas have 14 and crayfish have 200.

True. It is true! It's important to remember not to mix up complexity of an organism with chromosome number.
http://morgan.rutgers.edu/morganwebframes/level1/page2/ChromNum.html
http://www.ben.edu/TitleIII/Mitosis.ppt

A healthy person has 6,000 million, million, million hemoglobin molecules.
True. That's about 6 x 10^21 molecules of hemoglobin. In a human, one red blood cell can bind to about 10^9 (that's 10 billion) oxygen molecules... each hemoglobin binds to 4 oxygen molecules. There are about 5 billion red blood cells per milliliter of blood, and a healthy adult human has about 5 liters of blood. That's a ton of hemoglobin! By the way, my source for this is my animal physiology textbook and professor.

Organisms can live in temperatures up to 133 centigrade.
True. Certain bacteria, known as thermophiles, can survive temperatures of up to 140 degrees Celsius.
http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/extreme/extremeheat/

Any 1 of a 1000 viruses can cause the common cold.
Somewhat True. The common cold is most frequently caused by a rhinovirus, which is an RNA virus. This means that it mutates very quickly, and basically every single cold virus that someone gets is a different one. In that sense, any of several billion or any of an infinite number of viruses can cause the common cold.

The human brain is 2% of the body's weight but uses a hungry 20% of its energy.
True. The electrical activity of the brain requires 20% of the body's energy.
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/16/10237

If more than 23 people gather in a room there is a better than 1 in 2 chance that at least two of them will share the same birthday.(think about it)
False. There's better than a 1 in 2 chance that they share the same birth month, not day.

Polar Bears cannot be detected by infrared cameras, due to their transparent fur.
False. This is pure nonsense. Fur color and heat signature are completely unrelated; every organism gives off heat, especially mammals.

It typically takes twelve years and close to billion dollars to develop a new medicine.

True. Sometimes more than a billion dollars, and often a few more years. I had a short stint as an intern at a pharmaceutical company and learned a few things about how hard it really is to make these drugs.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Oh, I wasn't sure if that polar bear one was BS or not, and my google is blocked, hehe

23 people gathering in a room, with statistics of most common birth month and such, there is a fairly high chance of two people sharing a birthday, but it's probably like 1/5

In a class of 20 students 4 kids share the same birthday in my science class

fact: unbanninated, YES

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
A few more older ones!

Salmon can jump as high as 6 feet.
True. Depending on the type of salmon, of course. Some as few as 1 foot. But some atlantic salmon have been known to jump up to 12 feet high!
http://www.fws.gov/r5crc/fish/salmon_fact_sheet.pdf
http://www.atlanticsalmontrust.org/salmon_facts/salmon_biology.html
http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/PRIVATE_FORESTS/docs/fp/RdStrmCrossRestorGuideA.pdf

It is possible to see a rainbow at night
False. A rainbow is made possible by the way sunlight is reflected by water. Moonlight and starlight are not enough to make this possible.

anyway this called my attention:

"MySpace has more than 40 billion page views a month"

That server's processor is really working!
True. Not that I really need to "prove" this one, but it's pretty interesting. In fact, in August it received over 67 billion pageviews.
http://blog.compete.com/2007/09/11/facebook-third-biggest-site-page-views-myspace-down/

Top Bottom