• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interest for a Large Tournament in the UK?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Yes, but on the other hand a larger community will bring about: More prize money, bigger turnouts (0% chance of losing money on venue costs), cheaper venue fee, better venue, more competition. That's a LOT to gain. You can still have the small/friendly focus at smashfests, anyway.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Yes, but on the other hand a larger community will bring about: More prize money, bigger turnouts (0% chance of losing money on venue costs), cheaper venue fee, better venue, more competition. That's a LOT to gain. You can still have the small/friendly focus at smashfests, anyway.
exactly this is why I want to get into contact with baron mack and we'll try find a venue

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Well if it's succesful then that's good....

I think the only way we can impress NeoEmpire enough is if we advertise it around here enough and get a really good turnout.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Spoken to Fuzzy... He doesnt think a 120-standing, 80-seated venue is big enough :s

gonna try to make a viewing (with Fuzzy if possible) on like the 9th of January for all the venues. This is probably gonna be the last event at Barkingside with the way things are going. Fuzzy steppin it up.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
.......Why wouldn't that be big enough lol :confused:

Unless you meant 80 People seated or 120 standing, instead of both of them combined.

You should def check regardless and if it's the same size as London Monthlies venue then I hope you get it

B.Mack

Smash Ace
it will be at least the size of the Barkingside venue. I expect larger though. if they can agree to store TVs then we are sorted.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Then if it's that size I don't see why Charles thinks it won't be fit for a Tournament when he does one with a similar size lol...anyway I hope it goes good and obviously hope you make a good ruleset for Melee.

Im guessing this will obviously be held in Birmingham though right?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
it will be at least the size of the Barkingside venue. I expect larger though. if they can agree to store TVs then we are sorted.
that would certainly be big enough. The monthlies place has had some monthlies/tournaments with a very large attendance and has managed just fine. hope this all goes well

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Then if it's that size I don't see why Charles thinks it won't be fit for a Tournament when he does one with a similar size lol...anyway I hope it goes good and obviously hope you make a good ruleset for Melee.

Im guessing this will obviously be held in Birmingham though right?
I wont be doing the Melee ruleset, Fuzzy will.

it will be held in London unless there is a miraculous venue at Bham (huge, cheap, TVs and housing available)

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Hmmm I thik if this tournament goes ahead then we need to try and act a bit more responsibly as well. The way some of us have conducted ourselves at tournaments has been quite shocking at times and is pretty ungreatful to the host who is going to a LOT of trouble to set up the event.

This has been talked about before but I think we need to get a bit stricter in tournaments to fix this. I think a warning system would be a good idea. One or two warnings and then you're disqualified. I think people should be on hand just to ensure matches are played and there aren't any other problems.

Jolteon

Well if it's succesful then that's good....

I think the only way we can impress NeoEmpire enough is if we advertise it around here enough and get a really good turnout.
They seemed happy enough at Rebith, and according to Charles one of the guys over there still wants to help host smash.

Hmmm I thik if this tournament goes ahead then we need to try and act a bit more responsibly as well. The way some of us have conducted ourselves at tournaments has been quite shocking at times and is pretty ungreatful to the host who is going to a LOT of trouble to set up the event.

This has been talked about before but I think we need to get a bit stricter in tournaments to fix this. I think a warning system would be a good idea. One or two warnings and then you're disqualified. I think people should be on hand just to ensure matches are played and there aren't any other problems.
I think the general behaviour is OK. Like, maybe people could be more responsible with litter and sometimes pay more attention to their bracket/listening to Charles better (it's a weak mic -_-) but you can't expect everyone to act perfectly, so in that sense it's not really bad since nothing goes missing, there are no arguments and the event always gets done on time.

I guess if we could all just generally be more efficient though it'd be really cool since we could finish a LOT earlier (I still think the best way to do a tournament is to turn up at like 11-12am and finish at 6-7pm, with time for friendlies/side events afterwards).

I've spoken to Charles before about adding in a solid warning/DQ system (specifically Magus' DQ system) but he never really seems to pay attention to me lol ~_~

j3ly

Smash Champion
he is one of those people... suggesting advice automatically mutes the option to him :p

whats the MDQ system?

Jolteon

Ya. ;-;

2 Minutes Late=Warning
4 Minutes Late=Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late=Loss of set

/e nvm it's "Mage's DQ rule" lol not Magus'

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
They seemed happy enough at Rebith, and according to Charles one of the guys over there still wants to help host smash.

I think the general behaviour is OK. Like, maybe people could be more responsible with litter and sometimes pay more attention to their bracket/listening to Charles better (it's a weak mic -_-) but you can't expect everyone to act perfectly, so in that sense it's not really bad since nothing goes missing, there are no arguments and the event always gets done on time.

I guess if we could all just generally be more efficient though it'd be really cool since we could finish a LOT earlier (I still think the best way to do a tournament is to turn up at like 11-12am and finish at 6-7pm, with time for friendlies/side events afterwards).

I've spoken to Charles before about adding in a solid warning/DQ system (specifically Magus' DQ system) but he never really seems to pay attention to me lol ~_~
I hope the DQ system offoicailly goes in order.

Even though the tournaments always finish on time, people delaying stuff always stops time for any extra events after the tounrmanent and it's always a rush to leave which is gay....so I think this rule should be strictly stessed when the tournamnent is on and strictly under work.

Also this tournament should test the New Stage List...meaning the addition of
Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Ride
And I think there's one more but can't remember lol.

Jolteon

I think that was it.

Oh, and the FoD -> PS switch, depending on how the community feels about it.

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol jolteon slowly pushing forward his agenda... slowly... in increments

PS being neutral is kinda bs, but its done now thats how we play smash. metagame will develop and some other shiz will replace it, camping and saving a fresh usmash on yoshis or some crap. why take PS off neutrals when it's always always been a neutral.

Jolteon

lol jolteon slowly pushing forward his agenda... slowly... in increments

PS being neutral is kinda bs, but its done now thats how we play smash. metagame will develop and some other shiz will replace it, camping and saving a fresh usmash on yoshis or some crap. why take PS off neutrals when it's always always been a neutral.
charles said this before but I don't really get why it makes a difference, imo the only thing that matters is which stage is the best neutral. I mean like imagine if we still were doing random for 1st stage, and someone suggested stage striking and someone else says "why bother? we've always done random." how much sense does that make? lol.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I agree on keeping PS...it's always been that way plus on average FoD has more disadvantages and advantages throughout the general rooster of matchups then PS.

Plus I main fox....lol jokes obviously

And like any other stages to specific characters, you just ban them if the stage is not in your favour :)

Jolteon

oh btw it's not really my personal agenda, I just think it's fairest. If it was me *personally* I'd really want:

BF
DL64
Yoshi's
PS
FoD

Obv since you can ban them yeah it's not a big diff, but it does make a slight difference in what stage you end up on. It kinda sucks in some match-ups where they have like 3 good stages and you have 1 lol.

Tamoo

Smash Master
course you don't want fd, but not having fd as a neutral is pretty crazy.

as for the fod ps debate, I used to feel strongly for fod, now I don't really care that much, they're both equally crap :/

Jolteon

yeah I know that's my point, I'm not doing this cause of my own bias or w/e lol

B.Mack

Smash Ace
oh God, Melee has taken over. lets keep it to THIS tournament discussion guys and not melee rule discussion.
thanks.

smakis

Smash Ace
If I'm still in ireland (until summer) and melee is included I will be there =D

Jolteon

lmao no fd for neutral whats wrong with you

anyway keep it on topic guys
OK all I'm saying is that if I was really being biased with a neutral stage list, that would be it (because I hate FD and it's boring). I really thought it was an easy to understand concept but apparently I was wrong. :confused:

VA

Smash Hero
lol I was thinking about hosting a tournament in brighton around easter too. ***z.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
lol I was thinking about hosting a tournament in brighton around easter too. ***z.
I SERIOUSLY hope you do, it would be sick and I would undoubtably attend.

I think I remember you saying something about it before, I honestly think you should atleast look into doing it, espesh for someone special like me, but on the contary would you really want to host a tournament and then me just come along and win it, I don't want you to feel like Charles did at his tournament :ohwell:

VA

Smash Hero
It wouldn't be about me winning lol.

I think if I held a tournament I would be able get some interest that others may not, i.e I've spoken to Z who said he would come to my tournament.

Also there would be a problem of hosting. If it ran, it would likely be one day only, and people from London and nearby areas would have to travel there and back the same day.

I can house people obv, but only those that REALLY need it. Seeing as I usually make a journey to East London and back during days of London tournaments, I think everyone else would be able to do this.

Also I know if I was running it, it would finish early.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
lol Yh I know it wouldn't be about you winning, that last part was just for the trashtalk.

The London travelling back thing is gay though im VERYYYYYY sure you would lose a hardcore of potential people through thih and some people would not go on one day or not return on the other day.....you would get a focus of the good popular people coming but the majority of other people who fill up the tournament from London wouldn't travel twice IMHO!

VA

Smash Hero
No, I would only run a one day tournament. I wouldn't ask people to travel to brighton and back twice, that would never work. It would juts be a one day thing, we don't even have enough events to fit into two days.

Basically I always go to tournaments in London the same day. And actually I'd probably host it on my uni campus, and there is a train you can easily get there either from brighton station or even from clapham.

I think it could work. I'd have to look into it more though.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Posting to post count snap VA

Oh and I'd really like a brighton tournament, need to get the tournaments out of london for a bit imo, even if it means travelling there and back same day, not too much trouble.

VA

Smash Hero
lol, omg you *******. I will get you back for this someday....

If I host, expect good things. I can't say it will happen, but by the end of January I will have researched it.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
No, I would only run a one day tournament. I wouldn't ask people to travel to brighton and back twice, that would never work. It would juts be a one day thing, we don't even have enough events to fit into two days.

Basically I always go to tournaments in London the same day. And actually I'd probably host it on my uni campus, and there is a train you can easily get there either from brighton station or even from clapham.

I think it could work. I'd have to look into it more though.
Oh yhhh that will definitely work then and London people going back on the same day, just hope we can get in a decent amount of gaming time and stuff so prob get a late train back

Posting to post count snap VA

Oh and I'd really like a brighton tournament, need to get the tournaments out of london for a bit imo, even if it means travelling there and back same day, not too much trouble.
I agree with the tournament out of London thing, would be nice for a change of scenary and host and just general atmosphere and perhaps new people coming to an event....but obviously the result will be the same with me winning :)

B.Mack

Smash Ace
all is lost. may as well close the thread -_-

Brawlers you suck.

would people have issues with accomodation? I need to know if I'll have to sort that out as well.

j3ly

Smash Champion
all is not lost! whats the score and why do u think it is all lost?

Top Bottom