• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intelligence in Smashboards.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
I may have registered now, but I've been browsing these forums for a long time now (around 4 years ago) and there's a little thing that has surprised me about these forums, people here are far more intelligent, wiser, argue better and are actually useful when they need to be. I've always been browsing different forums my whole life, some about technology, some about, science some about crap, and some of video games, and personally I'm very surprised that the smartest community... is a video game community. I know smashboards isn't perfect (you know there are trolls everywhere, and obviously the occasional ignorant person) but I'm frankly quite surprised. People oft criticize gamers as ignorant people (which is why I'm talking about intelligence in this topic), but it really makes me laugh that in truth it's the other way around.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
What is your definition of intelligence and what criteria are you using to measure it?

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
What is your definition of intelligence and what criteria are you using to measure it?
My definition of intelligence is the way a person arguments a situation which has been said, how that person handles it, how a person can cite sources for concrete information, level of helpfulness, overall knowledge of things, etc... it's too much to list everything.

The criteria I'm using to measure such thing, well I'm not measuring, just stating what I see. You could say that I'm stating the aforementioned because of what I've read and because it fills all or some of the above "definition" of intelligence. I , just in case, do not state that people here (including myself) are the smartest ever, just that from what I have seen, it's not bad.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Is English your first language, Jeyfar? This thread is much funnier if it is.

Morin0

Smash Lord
His location says Puerto Rico so no, I don't think so. I don't see how that's relevant or how you're exactly trying to contribute to this thread by asking if English is his first language. Anyways, what exact parts of Smashboards do you view, Jeyfar? The only place that I know of where discussion like that happens is in the Debate Hall and occasionally User Blogs.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Ninja'd :mad:

Anyway, it's hard to contribute to a thread with no real discussion points; the OP is quite literally just saying he/ she thinks people here are smart. Also, while I'm not sure how widely spoken it is, English is one of the official languages of Puerto Rico so it's not unreasonable to wonder if it's his/ her first language.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Ninja'd :mad:

Anyway, it's hard to contribute to a thread with no real discussion points; the OP is quite literally just saying he/ she thinks people here are smart. Also, while I'm not sure how widely spoken it is, English is one of the official languages of Puerto Rico so it's not unreasonable to wonder if it's his/ her first language.
I see. Well, you can still sort of ask why Jeyfar thinks so but it looks like he answered that already. Come to think of it, this thread would better suit the UB.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
well thanx dawg, u kno i'll keep it up 4 u u no my pops once told me a book is tha gateway too a helfhy lifestyle so time to crack dat motha ****a open if ya kno wa meen

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Maybe you mean maturity instead of intelligence, not sure. Also, the fact that all of us are shut-in aspies who do nothing but sit behind the computer all day, aid our cognitive skills.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Don't worry, when SSB4 is nearing release this place'll dumb down a bit. It's certainly not a gamer thing though, I have smaller accounts on other gaming websites and the stupidity on most of them is outrageous.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Smash community (Brawl at least) is probably one of the LEAST mature of all fighting communities.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Calling any video game community mature is pretty stupid to be honest.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Minecraft has a horribly immature community

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Don't you think that makes him more qualified to make that statement?

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
Lol I love to see how this got out of hand quickly, well as I had previously mentioned my understand of intelligence is from what I said. It basically runs down to usefulness and the ability to discuss things from a mature standpoint, basically what I mean by standard definition is like one of the posters said, maturity. And yes this is quite a debatable thread, but it is not my intention to go against other's opinions, I just wanted to say.

In another hand, yes english is one of Puerto Rico's "main languages", however like a 50% of the populace have no mastery or intention to learn it, just as North Americans do with spanish and basically every other language in existence.

And Teran, I'm not quite sure what you wanted to imply with that picture, care to say what are you implying?

Lol I know about the SSB4 thread, **** that ****, the threads I mostly am at (or better said always am) is Character Discussion and general discussions, so may that's why I haven't seen widespread chaos.

As for other boards I did mention they are pretty immature, believe me I've seen (and I'm quite sure everyone here) has seen widespread stupidity at one point in their life.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
And Teran, I'm not quite sure what you wanted to imply with that picture, care to say what are you implying?
I am implying that gay people should be castrated, gassed, and incinerated.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's the perfect complement to a heavy night of drinking :)

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
Heh, people sell kebabs here in Puerto Rico, but they're much smaller than in other places, they taste very good though, but damn you gain weight so easily with those things

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
eh, I don't really get their appeal. No amount of alcohol could make me enjoy a doner kebab.

The inner obese person inside me is more of a chocolate/pizza/chinese/indian takeaway dude.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Not veggie enough for the brown maestro.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
The Minecraft community aren't necessarily and less mature; it's just that you can't build giant penises in Smash Bros.

Edit: Wait a minute... stage creator... oh god!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Remember drawing penises on your friends' exercise books?

Good times.

Who am I kidding, I draw penises on friends' lecture notes.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I actually agree with this. Lot of the discussions I see on here are far more intelligent than i see on other forum sites.

Top Bottom