• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Grab Break Discussion

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Those weren't instant grab breaks though. The Instant breaks are so fast that basically the character grabs you and immediately drops you. If you look at it closely, he just escaped really fast when Dedede hit him with a Jab. They were all at lower %'s too, which leads me to believe that he just got out the normal way, but really fast.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Those weren't instant grab breaks though. The Instant breaks are so fast that basically the character grabs you and immediately drops you. If you look at it closely, he just escaped really fast when Dedede hit him with a Jab. They were all at lower %'s too, which leads me to believe that he just got out the normal way, but really fast.
Anywhere under 50 percent you can escape from a ddd grab if he tries to pummel you once.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
Zelda can get an easy sweetspot from the grab release... I don't think Fox can do it though o_O
i wouldnt post it for no reason i got ***** by a fvcking NOOOOB player in my pool at fast1 who somehow knew to counter my wario with a fox....he took both games off me by doing this lame bull**** infinite stuff by grabbing, letting it naturally relesase, and then smashing me or grabbing me or whatever it was so lame...

as for the futile vid umm he was able to escape bc of the other players fault, not bc he is god

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
Well I found out(unlike what Dr. Mario Guy said) that you can tap down repeatedly to break out on the ground with Ike, Marth, and Wario(even though they make Wario dangle above the ground). It requires a spotdodge to avoid getting regrabbed though. Also this does not work on Yoshi.

Hey, now the Wario vs. Wario matchup is no longer 9:1 in Wario's favor. (just kidding)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Anywhere under 50 percent you can escape from a ddd grab if he tries to pummel you once.
That's what I was trying to say, it wasn't instant, even though Futile got out fast. He just rotated the control stick/mashed buttons really fast and got out.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Well I found out(unlike what Dr. Mario Guy said) that you can tap down repeatedly to break out on the ground with Ike, Marth, and Wario(even though they make Wario dangle above the ground).
After doing some testing with this I'm gonna have to say: vids or it didn't happen. The same thing goes for the whole instant grab release thing sadly. I knew when I was getting grabbed (I was the one grabbing me) and pressing A didn't do anything for me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Seriously, we can avoid it with Marth? That would be huge.
IDK, I have tested this on a lot of characters and Wario by just using Down DI, By mashing buttons, by using the C-stick, and various combination's. I didn't find anything noteworthy.

I have not tried that on Marth though, I'm more concerned about Dedede, Yoshi, and the characters that can infinite/semi infinite you, like Ganon or Bowser.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Sounds like a chalenge. Just you wait Wario, we'll figure this out. There's no way this will bring Wario down.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wario can do fine against Meta, IMO. You just gotta be patient, punish their dsmashes and tornado attempts (I have no problem DIing out of it now) and then either clap or fart their glide attack attempts. Fsmashing through their dsmash can also net you a KO at around 85% depending on the stage.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Well I know that by DIing and smash DIing up very quickly, you can force an air escape even on short chars, which is why i dont understand why Ness's have such a hard time, but I haven't tested it with breaking to the ground yet. (And btw, ive done the air escape against a pummeling lucario in tournament.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
meta destroys wario no matter what.

wario only has weight over him, and that's it.

if mk is more patient he will win. dont assume every mk player is a total idiot

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm not assuming every mk player is an idiot, ability to kill MK early is huge for Wario. After you've played enough MKs, you know when the shuttle loops are coming, and that's his most dangerous move. The more patient he plays, the longer you have to build up multiple farts.

Shell, at least, agrees that Wario can do fine... sooo... don't come proclaiming your inability to cope with a character as a fact for everyone.

Ace55

Smash Lord
meta destroys wario no matter what.

wario only has weight over him, and that's it.

if mk is more patient he will win. dont assume every mk player is a total idiot
Mew2King vs reflex was pretty close, and I wouldn't exactly call M2K a total idiot when it comes to MK.

I really believe Luigi and nowadays Dedede are Wario's worst matchups. Metaknight is just hard.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Game and Watch as well... holy god, a Game and Watch than can space is nearly impossible. But aside from those three, it's really fair game imo.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I'm not assuming every mk player is an idiot, ability to kill MK early is huge for Wario. After you've played enough MKs, you know when the shuttle loops are coming, and that's his most dangerous move. The more patient he plays, the longer you have to build up multiple farts.

Shell, at least, agrees that Wario can do fine... sooo... don't come proclaiming your inability to cope with a character as a fact for everyone.
i didnt even imply i had trouble with mk

shuttle loop isn't mk's only killing move. dsmash is extremely strong, glide attack can be used out of up b, nair is good for killing, dair sends at a low angle.

The more patiently he plays the harder it is for him to get ***** by wario's ****. I would rather let wario have a strong move than just rush in and get beat.

Also I disagree with alot of what shell says. what's with referencing individual matches/sets anyway? people always ignore player skill for some reason.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Guys, we all agree MK is a hard matchup, how hard he is is of no consequence. You should play against him as such.

What happened to the community's interest in instant grab releases? :p

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Well I know that by DIing and smash DIing up very quickly, you can force an air escape even on short chars, which is why i dont understand why Ness's have such a hard time, but I haven't tested it with breaking to the ground yet. (And btw, ive done the air escape against a pummeling lucario in tournament.
Ness has trouble ONLY against Marth and Charizard because their grab's have big range and they are fast. If Marth/Charizard had a slow pummel, Ness could air escape the Death grab.

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
After doing some testing with this I'm gonna have to say: vids or it didn't happen. The same thing goes for the whole instant grab release thing sadly. I knew when I was getting grabbed (I was the one grabbing me) and pressing A didn't do anything for me.
Sorry I can't provide vids but tapping down will allow you to avoid the Usmash because Wario breaks out on the ground. It works the same against himself and Ike(I haven't tested it on other characters though)Also tapping any button does help as long as you press it really fast.

Seriously, we can avoid it with Marth? That would be huge.
I tested it several times with a human player and it appears so. However, more testing by other people would be nice just to verify this.

Taxi

Smash Cadet
Sorry I can't provide vids but tapping down will allow you to avoid the Usmash because Wario breaks out on the ground. It works the same against himself and Ike(I haven't tested it on other characters though)Also tapping any button does help as long as you press it really fast.

I tested it several times with a human player and it appears so. However, more testing by other people would be nice just to verify this.
It seems a bit dubious, but if it works it will be a great tool for Wario. Thanks for the tip.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I have yet to see this happen on someone being grabbed at a very high percent. I've seen characters break seemingly instantly, but it was always at low percents. Honestly, I believe it is just mashing buttons like mad. I have been able to escape a FThrow to charged USmash on Ice Climbers before the USmash launched, just by rotating the control stick, flicking the C Stick and mashing L and R all at the same time at 129%. That's not instant, but pretty **** quick for that percent.

Someone provide me a video with a character escaping above 100% instantly and then I'll be convincing to start investigating this. Otherwise I suggest you guys just start training those fingers of yours.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I have one on replay but I'm away from my wii as in I won't get back to it for 7+ days (on vacation) so I can't post. But I was Marth and I get grabbed by Ike on FD and we weren't near the edge.

I was nair'ing while moving towards Ike and I believe I get shield grabbed but for some reason as soon as he grabs me I go into an aerial grab release animation as Marth.

This proves on it isn't just mashing buttons as I was only pressing A. It shows instant grab release exists. However even then it might not be good news for Wario b/c when I did it, I went into an aerial grab release. And when Ike grabs Marth, Marth's feet do not dangle. So this may show that even if you do it, you are just asking to be screwed by characters that normally can't abuse Wario's animation. (such as Lucas or G&W)

Funny thing is I did it against a cpu. Why do all the weird things happen against a cpu?

Anyway I think first before anything shouldn't people discover the requirement for when this occurs? Even now nobody knows. I'm leaning towards pressing A the instant you are grabbed b/c that was the button I was pressing. Any other ideas?

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
Do you have wifi? Could you send a replay to someone?
I do have wifi but this was in training and I can't make a replay because I don't have an SD card. I'm going to try and get Fiction to replicate it. So he can post a vid for me.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Don't get your hopes up you guys, this can only happen within the very FIRST grab, you cna't break a chaingrab after the first grab throw or w/e. I know this is true, but I cannot prove it, it's gonna be found out later on tho. If you have amazing reaction time, good.

This has happened to me when i grab some opponents at 90ish percent, its instant, and all the time it happens I notice they are in the middle of jabbing or something like that, you cannot jab or during a chaingrab

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Which instant grab break are we talking about? There is one where you instantly break out the moment they grab you. They grab, you hear the sound for grabbing, and then you immediately break out, and I've had this occur without any of that you were near the ledge and stuff like that.

There is also one I believe where a person breaks out of a grab at an unnatural speed for the % he is at.
It happened to me a couple of times. I was CG'ing with DDD, and at a high %, I jabbed my opponent once, but he got out immediately after I jabbed him. Really surprised me, this is probably just spamming buttons though.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I remember in melee if you timed a jab perfectly, it would do what you guys are talking about. I'm pretty sure thats the only way...

EDIT: Although I don't even know if that would work in brawl, since sometimes when you hit someone grabbing you they take damage, but still get the grab in. Brawl is wack.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
Which instant grab break are we talking about? There is one where you instantly break out the moment they grab you. They grab, you hear the sound for grabbing, and then you immediately break out, and I've had this occur without any of that you were near the ledge and stuff like that.

There is also one I believe where a person breaks out of a grab at an unnatural speed for the % he is at.
It happened to me a couple of times. I was CG'ing with DDD, and at a high %, I jabbed my opponent once, but he got out immediately after I jabbed him. Really surprised me, this is probably just spamming buttons though.
Yes this one we talk about since if you let Wario Jump Break some char can get easy follow up such as :Zelda Lightning kicks

Top Bottom