• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Edgehog - an impractical, yet interesting fact

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Every character has the ability to instant edgehog. While it's not as easy as Yoshi's, it works (but it's very impractical.)

Explaining it is the simple part: If you are at the very edge of a ledge during your point of pivot on a dashdance, you'll slip off and still turn around to immediately grab the edge.

Putting it in your gameplay? Impossible.

Eggm

Smash Hero
A player around here warrior of zarona does it very well and often in matches with his fox its sexy.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, this is a known technique. Like any frame-perfect extension of an otherwise basic skill (edgehogging), it's phased out by the vast majority of players.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
"Smash Sovereigns" (like yours truly) can easily pull this off in battle. Even aganst veteran Smash players.
I'd have to see it to believe it. Having perfection on that precise of a level and being able to put it to use would imply that your reaction time is infinitely faster than everyone elses.

1/60th of a second timed perfectly to be on one tiny coordinate while still being aware of what's going on in the game (and not to mention do it on purpose).

Lightshade

Smash Ace
I'd have to see it to believe it. Having perfection on that precise of a level and being able to put it to use would imply that your reaction time is infinitely faster than everyone elses.

1/60th of a second timed perfectly to be on one tiny coordinate while still being aware of what's going on in the game (and not to mention do it on purpose).
Yes. You're not going to be using that technique frequently. The chance of that happening is very rare, and is impossible to use it on purpose.

EDIT: Having seen the movie, it's not changing my interpretation of the move. You can't predict when it will happen.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
Umm putting it into gameplay is really easy
its easyer than short hop to edge
I use it with Captain Falcon
although it depends on character
but characters its really easy to do in battle

MrMojoRisin

Smash Apprentice
You could get the timing down with characters if you went the same speed onto the ledge everytime, but it would still be hard to pull off.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
If you can learn the timing it can be pretty useful, but it is harder for certain characters. It mostly depends on the character.

andrewg

Smash Apprentice
I will use this. I'm extremely good at timing things accurately. I dont know about this, but i'll try it out sometime.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
frame by frame stuff isnt as hard as is sounds, such as SWD. i might try this out.

btw, this works best with chars that have less traction.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Well its almost impossible but it can happen
Although I think its better to use a backwards wavedash

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't compare SWD to the instant edgehog. For one, overshooting the instant edgehog puts you off the stage facing away, instead of edgehogging as intended. It isn't worth the risk of flubbing an edgehog unless there's no other way to get to it in time.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
hmmm this is the type of thing where the majority of players will say it is too risky.
then... we will get new bombsoldier vids in which he does it perfectly every time
and within like 2 months everyone uses it.

pdk

Smash Lord
protip: there's only one factor to the timing with SWDing, this depends on how far away you are from the ledge during the first dash, which character you are, whether the platform you're on is level, etc

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
protip: there's only one factor to the timing with SWDing, this depends on how far away you are from the ledge during the first dash, which character you are, whether the platform you're on is level, etc
doesnt matter how far away you are i dont think... it should be the same frame that you want to turn. the timing shouldnt change.

true... most people will only practice this on a flat level, since most edges are flat, unless you're at YS or... anything else (besides ******** stages)?

depends more on runspeed... must as PC chris shows us, itd probably be most safe to do from a walk. however... from a dash itd be more useful... but much harder.

pdk

Smash Lord
that's exactly the problem, when you want to turn depends on how far you're standing from the edge (i.e. how long you'd have to wait before turning)

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I put a bit of research into this. It's much easier to do it out of a walk, since you get more turnaround frames (instead of only one in the pivot). Characters with less friction have a much easier time doing it, since they slide farther when turning. Luigi was the easiest for me.

Still impractical, I'd say, unless it's an absolute must to get on the ledge for the edgehog.

Myztek

Smash Ace
It's also possible to wavedash straight at the ledge and turn-around near the end of the wavedash to edge hog. I've done it several times with Marth. I don't know how hard it is, or if it's even possible, to do with other characters.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
The technique depends heavily on the character you are using. For example, it's going to be much harder to use with fox, (mainly because he falls fast) than it is to say, jigglypuff. Different characters have different attributes and will have a different effect when trying to use this.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
if you wavedsh forwards to a ledge, than turn around, it is pretty easy to edge hog, as long as you use someone like marth, mewtwo of luigi. others are iffy.

i_eat_fried_worms

Smash Cadet
it's not that hard to put into gameplay, it can be used if you can't use WD well but can pivot(i know it's not a great rebutle, i'm bored)

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
it it definatly an interesting fact.

with the speed of the metagame... and playing against players like mew2king (which i do from time to time), FAR from impractical!!

i never knew about this, thanks for the tip.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
The technique depends heavily on the character you are using. For example, it's going to be much harder to use with fox, (mainly because he falls fast) than it is to say, jigglypuff. Different characters have different attributes and will have a different effect when trying to use this.
This is not true, the weight has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Basically what it comes down to is the amount of traction a character has. If a character is rather slidy (marth, luigi, etc) it's much easier to do this, while if a character has high traction (peach) it becomes a lot harder to do.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
This is not true, the weight has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Basically what it comes down to is the amount of traction a character has. If a character is rather slidy (marth, luigi, etc) it's much easier to do this, while if a character has high traction (peach) it becomes a lot harder to do.
In a simliar way, but if you're playing a heavy character (say bowser) if you screw up the slightest bit you will miss the edge and fall. The faster your character falls, the more precise you have to be when grabbing the edge.

Top Bottom