• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Insecurities!

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Link to original post: [drupal=2966]Insecurities![/drupal]

Hello SWFers.

I'm a rather anxious person... and I've always felt anxious and insecure about pretty much everything I do. I try not to show it on the outside, but I have that unending feeling at the bottom of my stomach...

The thing is, I KNOW that my insecurities and anxieties are irrational. I know I should ignore the feeling and just enjoy myself... but as the saying goes... "Easier said than done."

To provide a specific example, I'm insecure about my musical abilities. Currently I'm in a band, and most of the feedback has been positive... however... the few comments that tell me I suck or can't sing sink deep. I always need someone to reassure me that I am indeed a capable musician. Even this is usually not enough though... as I begin to doubt the compliments as mere nice statements made by close friends.

Anyway, I know I should ignore those and accept the compliments with a bit more confidence... though I'm having a hard time. I guess the vast majority of us have insecurities though, which usually appear totally rational to ourselves, and irrational to others.

So tell me... Do you have any insecurities? If so what? Thoughts on the issue?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm pretty insecure about everything, which sucks. Especially considering that I tend to be good at the things that I'm anxious about. Like giving presentations and stuff. I always get extremely nervous before a presentation, even though I know that I'm articulate enough to do at least an adequate job on any given presentation.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, I know exactly how you feel.

I like to draw, but I hate showing people my drawings because I think they're bad even though I know most people who look at them are gonna think they're good. In fact, I actually like criticism too so I know what I need to work on.

But for some reason I still feel insecure when somebody goes through one of my sketchbooks or something.

I even have friends that also draw, and I KNOW I'm a better artist than they are, but I still don't like showing them.

It's really annoying and I wish I could just push those feelings away. ;______;

Underload

Lazy
I'm insecure about the basic stuff. Looks (I'll get a random zit on my forehead and I'll just marvel at it for days until it goes away), speech (at times I'll talk very quickly and not even know I'm doing it. Not like auctioneer fast, but abnormally quick. It's not the norm for me, though), and physical fitness (even though I'm a healthy 6'1" 165 lbs, I feel that I'm putting on too much of that winter blubber).

But the weird one is sometimes I think my voice is a bit too deep. Seems a bit uncharacteristic for a babyface like me. Eh, nothing major.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The weird thing is, I'm an amazing writer. Throughout school, my teachers would always compliment me on it and I'd get invited to writing clubs and stuff, but I never went to them.

I have no interest in writing and therefor, I don't feel insecure if people think it's bad or not.

Apparently if I like what I do and I'm good at it, I get insecure about it. But if I'm good at it and don't care, I'm just fine with it.

Kinda sucks.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I always think my voice is far too soft.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Dude, you're in a band? That's awesome.

I love art class. Everyday is dedicated work and focus to get a project done. I'm in Honors Art 3 so I must be good, atleast average but I feel very insecure about my work. Whenever someone walks by I feel judged even when they give me a positive remark. Criticism is needed but all the negatives drive me crazy with doubts. Hell, then there's the kids who are insanely good at art that seem to have it easy. It's funny though in that they usually judge their art to be bad. They still think like everyone else.

You can't let it keep you down or worry yourself. Determination and dedication will take you far throughout life. If you worry too much about insecurities you're cheating yourself out of possible opportunities. Unforunately, I just did that recently in my life and I regret it.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love art class. Everyday is dedicated work and focus to get a project done. I'm in Honors Art 3 so I must be good, atleast average but I feel very insecure about my work. Whenever someone walks by I feel judged even when they give me a positive remark. Criticism is needed but all the negatives drive me crazy with doubts. Hell, then there's the kids who are insanely good at art that seem to have it easy. It's funny though in that they usually judge their art to be bad. They still think like everyone else.

You can't let it keep you down or worry yourself. Determination and dedication will take you far throughout life. If you worry too much about insecurities you're cheating yourself out of possible opportunities. Unforunately, I just did that recently in my life and I regret it.
Story of my life right here.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah it feels better when you're not alone in being pathetic.

I mean my favourite part of the day is night, my vision in the dark is fantastic because of the amount of time I spend in it, yet I'm actually scared of the dark.

It makes no sense.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I'm confident for the most part. I have the looks, I have the personality, and gifts to go far. The thing that I am very insecure about though is my introverted nature. Conversations are a rather difficult thing for me to keep going, and some 1 on 1 situations can be awkward, which is why I like being with groups of people. Also, when I have solos for trombone, I get awful stage fright at times. I was probably the best musician at my school, 1st chair all the time, but when it came to solos, it either had to be perfect, and when I failed a note or something, everything else fell apart. I had some embarrassing moments up on stage. :(

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm incredibly insecure about my acne. Whenever I see it coming up I always feel like people are gonna stare at it. So I kind of hide my face a lot. >_>''

I'm also reeeeeeeeally insecure about my work. At least as I'm doing it. I hate it when people watch me as I write a paper, or something. Makes me feel so nervous. D:

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I'm incredibly insecure about my acne. Whenever I see it coming up I always feel like people are gonna stare at it. So I kind of hide my face a lot. >_>''

I'm also reeeeeeeeally insecure about my work. At least as I'm doing it. I hate it when people watch me as I write a paper, or something. Makes me feel so nervous. D:
You are exactly like me D: Those are two things I hate.

When people watch me as I work (one reason at sports practices I mess up when my coach is watching me).

And a lot of people like me are like that with acne. Nothing like waking up to bright red zit on your nose amiright? :D

HQ5

Smash Apprentice
Hell, then there's the kids who are insanely good at art that seem to have it easy. It's funny though in that they usually judge their art to be bad. They still think like everyone else.

QFT because it's funny how even the best of us think we're bad, which just goes to show you everyone is insecure about something no matter how good (or bad) they are at -insert life function/activity/whatever here-.

I used to be really insecure about my art as well (insecure art people ftw..? xD) before I realized my insecurities would never stop as long as I let them go on. I know insecurities and anxiety aren't exactly things you can easily control consciously, but I kept telling myself that as long as I tried my absolute, absolute best, I would be happy. And it worked, for the most part.

I knew I was far from being the best artist out there, but I also knew that I wasn't the worst. I've got my entire life ahead of me to improve, so I didn't see a need to worry overly much about it while I was (am, lol) still young and learning. And if people judge me, that's their prerogative to do so.

My prerogative is to not listen to or care about their opinions if I don't want to accept whatever they have to say about me.

I don't care whether or not I'm deluding myself when I tell myself I'm a good artist/brawler/whatever. Whenever I'm doing my best, I'm doing well and that's all that matters to me.

Life is way too short to worry about being the best or even being really good at -insert life activity- at all. Most smashers will probably never get to be as good as M2K, Ken, Isai, Ally, Azen, etc. in their whole lives, but so what? Life is more about the journey rather than the destination. Lighten up a little, laugh a lot, and count your blessings, I always say.

Most importantly, though, accept yourself. If you don't even like yourself, who will?

/preachy long post, lol.

Hope this helped a little, TigerWoods. :)

Wumbologist

Smash Rookie
Well, recently I developed a stress-induced twitch. When I'm talking with a group of people or when I feel slightly nervous my head starts shaking. It was kind of funny at first when I didn't know what it was (I even made jokes about it with my friends and had a good time) but now I don't know how to get over it. I've been buying and playing fun games to ease my stress but when I think I'm doing fine I end up shaking. Any....uhhh....suggestions?

bobson

Smash Lord
I hate you people. You go on and make this amazing stuff and then say "Oh, I didn't really like it, it's kind of crappy," while us here at the bottom rung who actually can't draw or sing or write or program or whatever are sitting here comparing our chicken scraps that we tried so hard for days to make look good to your "kind of crappy" masterpiece that you did in an hour and crying.

If you're cognizant enough to realize that you might be bad you will never become the jackoff who can't sing yet sings to everyone, and any efforts specifically toward not becoming that guy are more than likely just holding you back.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Haha Wumbo I used to do that during presentations. But since I play in a jazz band frequent improv solos helped me get over my fear, since you cant play the sax standing up with a shaky leg. Just relaxe and what I did was just keep doing it no matter how much it nerves you. Eventually youll get used to the situation and it will pass.

Wumbologist

Smash Rookie
Well, I guess I'll just hang in there and keep on truckin'. Hmm, you play sax? I'm going to guess a tenor or a soprano?

Anyways, thanks for the advice. At least I know it's not just me and that I can fix it by repeating my actions. I appreciate it.

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of insecure about my inability to flirt, as shallow as that may seem. Although, as irrational as our insecurities may seem, it doesn't really matter how illogical we think they are because emotions can only be controlled as much as the circumstances that evoke them.

Top Bottom