• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok assuming pear and marina are agents 5 & 6, whos agent 7?

probably someone in that trailer

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Is it really that big a surprise that Inklings showed up? Come on.

I mean it's great that they're in, but they were practically guaranteed to be in Smash eventually.

Khao

Smash Lord
Might sound a bit harsh, but you'd have to be delusional if you weren't expecting Inklings to make it! Either way, congrats, supporters! Can't wait to see how they play!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Congrats guys. I mean we all knew this was going to happen eventually but it's still good news for you guys nevertheless.

I'm curious to see what they could bring to Smash.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
The Inklings were among my most wanted characters for Smash, and while they seemed more and more likely as the days went by, I'm glad to see they're officially in the game!

Congrats, fellow Inklings! Today is a day we can truly rejoice and celebrate!

It's been such a long wait since DLC started up. Then the costumes happened and there went all hope

But they're finally in! Still hoping to see a roller and a charger but note expecting one. Hyped to see them in at all! Wonder what the stage will be.
:061:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
It's not surprising but very welcomed as the Inklings represent a new generation of Nintendo heroes and they're pretty popular to boot! Heck, this makes me kinda want to check out Splatoon now.:)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Congrats to my fellow inks!

D

Deleted member

Congratulation on getting Inklings in Smash! Their inclusions were well deserved and the best way to send off sparks for the new game.

PF9

Smash Lord
The next thing Splatoon should get is an animated movie adaptation, DreamWorks is the best studio for it. Maybe they'll surprise us and announce such a thing at E3.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Congratulations kids and squids.

Sure it was obvious, but that doesn't make it any less cool.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Is it really that big a surprise that Inklings showed up? Come on.

I mean it's great that they're in, but they were practically guaranteed to be in Smash eventually.
Why are you such a downer all the time? Just let the fans be happy, damn.

Congrats, everybody! I've been a more silent supporter of Inkling, but I couldn't be more hyped.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm not being a downer. You are interpreting everything I say that way because you have problems.
Yes, it's always the other person who has problems, never you, right?

You are one of the rudest, most argumentative, negative people I have ever seen, and I know for a fact it's not just me that thinks so.

But back on topic...

Final Smash is gonna be Inkstrike, calling it now.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Yes, especially in this particular case. I did not say anything negative to warrant you hounding me, and it wasn't the case that other time in the Speculation thread either. You're just being annoying and interpreting things negatively because you want to fight for whatever idiotic reason. I'm not going to suffer your posts any longer.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, if y'all just used your brains instead of having feelings we could've saved ourself a lot of jubilation.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I think they will play like Mega Man, with gun replacing neutral A.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes, especially in this particular case. I did not say anything negative to warrant you hounding me, and it wasn't the case that other time in the Speculation thread either. You're just being annoying and interpreting things negatively because you want to fight for whatever idiotic reason. I'm not going to suffer your posts any longer.

You are one of the rudest, most argumentative, negative people I have ever seen, and I know for a fact it's not just me that thinks so.

But back on topic...

Final Smash is gonna be Inkstrike, calling it now.
Let’s cool it down. There’s really no reason for either side for calling each other out. There is also a block function and, if either of you can’t have a civil conversation with each other, then I suggest using it. Continuing this “conversation” will result in warnings and/or infractions.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I can't wait to see some gameplay footage of these badboys.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sure, Inklings were the frontrunner. How nice of Nintendo to notice!
Guys, SMASH was announced today. This is literally the only thing we all on this board have in common. Why aren't we having a massive party- the game comes out within months (and a deley is not a guarantee for once!)
! I literally screamed so hard I lost my voice.

The Squids, in actual Nickelodeon orange, showed us a lot of how they will play.
They will still be inking the ground specifically for mobility, so that they can turn into a squid and move faster/more stealth.
The primary weapon is the blaster, with a complimentary splatbomb helping the way.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Inkopolis may be the new smashville/town and city stages,

I really thought they would not make it, because they were Mii costumes.

Last edited:

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Here is what I think the move set for Inkings is going to be and how they will play.
Playstyle: The inkings will play like SSF2 0.9b Mega Man where their neutral b will be able to switch between 4 different weapons each will have a different purpose, but you have a limited time because the longer you take the more endlag there will be on the move. The weapons will be the Roller, Splat Charger, Main Gun, and Dual Pistols in Splatoon 2. The guns will work like Rose's from Elsword. Roller will be used to cover a large portion of the stage with ink in a short amount of time and kill, but its attacks will be slow and will cost a good amount of ink. Splat Charger will be the one primarily used in the neutral thanks to its range, but a large amount of end lag and slower speed. The Main Gun will have a semi-long range with the ability to shoot more with a medium amount of end lag. Finally, the Dual Pistols will be used for comboing with the shortest amount of knockback, endlag, and a medium range. The specials and jab will stay the same with every weapon.
Weaknesses: Inklings will be limited to the amount of ink you have in your tank starting at 100 points of ink that will be displayed by the tank on your back and a gage right above the percentage bar, the ink will be charged overtime, but it will be slow. Inklings will also be the slowest character in the game, and will have a below average jump hight. Also on water stages, Inkings will die automatically if they touch the water and will take more damage if touched by a move that uses water like flud and the ink over time will start to flow off stage at a slow pace, but will be washed away if it is touched by a water move and will be completely washed away if you die.

Jab: Instead of a simple jab, this jab will be a move that recharges the tank at 10 points a second when activated within ink. It can be cancelled into an attack with another press of the A button, Shield with a press of a shield button, spot dodge by pressing down on the joystick, roll by pressing to the sides of the joystick, or can be cancelled into nothing by pressing up on the joystick. However, you need to be standing in ink or else it will do nothing and will suffer a full second of lag.

Side Special: You will turn into a squid and swim in ink moving much faster than usual than you would usually be, swimming at the speed of Yoshi's running speed. The end lag will be moderately short.

Down Special: You will throw a Splat Bomb that will do a large amount of damage, knockback, and set a lot of ink on the stage, but will cost 50 points of ink.

Up Special: This move will be your primary recovery and will bring out an ink jetpack that will work like R.O.B's Up Special, but the more you use it the more ink you will use and the ink will be used at 20 points a second, so use it sparingly.

Now we will get into the different kinds of aireals, tilts, and smashes with the different weapons in my next post.

Now onto the Roller
Purpose: Covering the stage with ink quickly.

Dash Attack: This Dash Attack will be a continuous dash attack that will be controlled by the player, and it will have the roller doing its primary job in the original games, press the attack to stop. Consumption rate 10 ink points per second

Side Tilt: This tilt will be like the Slosher in the original games. Consumption rate 7 ink points per attack.

Down Tilt: This tilt will be like the Ink Brush in the original games. Consumption rate 5 ink points per attack.

Up Tilt: Inkling will swing the roller into the air sending out no ink. Consumption rate 0 ink points per attack.

Up Smash: Pretty much a stronger faster up tilt that sends out ink and has more end lag. Consumption rate 15 ink points per attack

Side Smash: Inkling will smash the roller onto the ground and create a shock wave of ink. More ink will be sent out the longer it is charged. Consumption rate 20 ink points per attack.

Down Smash: The Inkling will spin around with the roller like what players do in the actual game. Consumption rate 15 ink points per attack.

Neutral air: This attack will be designed to be unsafe on hit and low damaging, primarily being used for spreading ink across the stage. Consumption rate 5 points per attack.

Down air: This attack will work like Lucinas down air. No ink will be sent out primarily used to spike opponents who are off stage. Consumption rate 0 ink points per attack.

Up air: This attack will work like Corrins up air, being used for guggling and will send out no ink. Consumptiontion rate 0 ink points per attack

Foward air: A hit in front of the Inkling used to space. Also, will auto cancel and send out no ink, unless you land with it, in that case, it will create a little puddle of ink and have a bunch of landing lag. Default consumption rate 0 ink points per attack. Landing consumption rate 7 ink points per attack.

Back air: Same as Foward air, but a little more powerful and a little more ink when not auto cancelled. Default consumption rate 0 ink points per attack. Landing consumption rate 9 ink points.

Next post will cover the Splat Charger.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

A bit late compared to others here sharing my thoughts on yesterday's news, but HECK YES INKLINGS IN SMASH BABY C'MON LET'S GOOOOOOO!

I'm curious how palette swaps are gonna work. Will each one look like an entirely different Inkling like how Bowser Jr.'s swaps are the Koopalings, and what about the Octarians? Will they get a model swap? I have so many questions about how they're gonna work, lol. E3 can't come soon enough.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm curious how palette swaps are gonna work. Will each one look like an entirely different Inkling like how Bowser Jr.'s swaps are the Koopalings, and what about the Octarians? Will they get a model swap? I have so many questions about how they're gonna work, lol. E3 can't come soon enough.
My best guess would be that they’ll handle it like the Villager: different looks for palette swaps. We’ll obviously have the Splatoon 1 default boy and girl Inkling’s, hopefully the Splatoon 2 defaults will be alts. Maybe ones based on Agent 3 & Agent 4? They’re semi-important in the single player campaign of Splatoon. The others may just as well as be random (maybe take colors from that one alt colored amiibo set). I doubt Octolings will be alts though.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Imo Inklings are a solid addition: deserving and unique.

However, the way they were announced was less than ideal: the initial disappointment of seeing even more Splatoon news (because of the order of the news in the direct) fed the idea of this being a port, which colored the rest of the teaser. Even playing the teaser backwards would have been better, lol.

Not the fault of the Inklings, but I could have been way more hyped about them and (the possibility of) Sma5h "if it hadn't been for those meddling kids".

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm really happy that the Inklings from Splatoon 1 were the ones Nintendo decided to showcase for the trailer as I see them (Orange Inkling Girl in particular) as sort of the mascots for Splatoon. I really hope that Pink Inkling Girl and Green Inkling Boy are added as costumes.

As for moves I'd love for them to have the Roller as it is my main weapon in Splatoon (I don't own a Switch so, I don't have Splatoon 2).

I wonder if Callie and Marie could be costumes? They either could be costumes or Assist Trophies.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
My irrational hope: Varisty Jacket plus N-Zap costume:

Because if I can't get Captain N in Smash, at least let me cosplay as him.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So what do we think their stage will be? I'm thinking Inkopolis Plaza, with a Splatfest version featuring the Squid Sisters.

In addition, I'm gonna say I expect a Marina & Pearl assist trophy functionally similar to Barbara in Brawl.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ayyy, this was kind of a no brainer(I mean how many other really successful new IPs have Nintendo made recently?) but regardless I'm pumped the Inklings are going to be in!

I wish we'd seen a snippet of gameplay from them, but I assume the Splat Bomb must be in from it's appearence in the scuffle between the two Inklings.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i imagine the inkling will have different looks for each alts, perhaps including the two main ones for splatoon 2

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm really happy for Inklings in Smash. I was thinking this ever since Splatoon 1.

Now that both Smash and Inklings both are confirmed.
Could we get Octolings as alts?

Also, please let this track be in the game! It's really lit.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
There's so many weapons and subs, Octolings could easily be there own character. Not that I'm trying to force it or anything, honestly I'm just happy we'll finally get to use them in Splatoon.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Agreed. I would not mind the Octolings as an alt clone. As long as there is something, I would be very happy either way!

Top Bottom