• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Before more people upvote my stupid comment, I just want you to all know that it's not true. I'm sorry.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
And now we have 2 new Idol hosts: Pearl and Marina(who is an Octoling!?)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
forget the inkstrike i want that bubble wand special as the final smash

i loved all the new stuff shown, cant wait for that umbrella weapon and that boat stage salmon run looks like itll be real crazy not sure how i feel about the sea slug or the spider crab yet and i dont think off the hook are as good as the squid sisters but im sure they'll grow on me

i cant wait even less now

btw totally team ice cream

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I really like the designs for these two. There's something amusing about Pearl's "bratty princess"-style look, as well as Marina's slightly awkward mannerisms. :laugh:

and i dont think off the hook are as good as the squid sisters but im sure they'll grow on me
Their catchphrase isn't as good, but I'm sure that they'll grow on everybody. They've got their own charm, and much like a "next big thing" band taking the top spot from another popular group in real life, it'll probably take people a bit of time to adjust.

btw totally team ice cream
Yeah, same here! :laugh:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Marina for Smash! Just look at her, what a queen. I wonder what the implications of her being an Octoling are. Are we finally going to get playable Octolings this game now that one is not only good but a celebrity?
Also team Cake, even though I don't have a Switch yet. Ice Cream is good and all, but nothing beats the light fluffiness of sponge cake.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Has everyone who's taking part downloaded the Splatoon 2 Splatfest World Premiere software, yet? Even though the Cake vs. Ice Cream Splatfest isn't until tomorrow next week (EDIT: I got my dates mixed up, sorry!), the demo software for it is available on the Switch eShop now, and you can create your Inkling, set up your controls to your liking, and vote for a team right now.

You can also draw graffiti, but whether or not it appears seems to be a bit confusing, as you get forced to also post to social-media when you choose the "Post" option, and if you back out due to not using that stuff, you're simply told "Post cancelled." - it's very odd.

Still, I drew something - if anyone sees it, please let me know! :laugh:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i guess its about time i had a bash at a moveset, i dont do all the technical stuff so its gonna seem pretty brief

basic combo: shots ink from the splatter shot (similar to megaman)
foward tilt: shot from a blaster
up tilt: blob of ink from a slosher
down tilt: shoots downwards with blaster

dash: rams with splatbrella
forward smash: slams down with roller
down smash: plants an ink mine, cant move until it explodes
up smash: throws splat bomb

pummel: smacks them with gun
up throw: uses roller like a see saw to throw them upwards
down throw: slams them with inkbrush
forward throw: shoots them with splat dualies
back throw: kicks them behind and then throws ink from slosher

neutral air: spins flinging ink
forward air: vertical swing with inkbrush
back air: horizontal swing with ink brush
down air: shoots downwards
up air: shoots upwards

shield: looks like bubbler
dodge: same animation as dualie dodge roll
crouch: turns into squid crawling takes form of moving as squid

neutral special: charge shot, hold down the button to charge a strong shot from a blaster
side special: seeker bomb, throws a seeker bomb
down special: ink wall, inkling drops its ink will deal damage (like pac man fire hydrant)
up special: super jump, shoots into air as squid

final smash: bubble wand, sends large bubbles all over stage, which fill with ink a then explode

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
http://nintendoeverything.com/corocoro-making-a-splatoon-anime/

TIME TO GET LIT. NOW.

What's next, ARMS? Kid Icarus? A NEW Kirby? PLEASE keep it going, Nintendo!
Don't get your hopes up too much - from what I've seen reported, this is literally a web-cartoon version of the manga that's been running in Japan since the first game was released, and it's only going to be published on the website of the publisher of the periodical that it appears in.

That having been said, this is really nice to see - hopefully it'll be nicely-done.

Considering the fact that the manga has been picked up for an official English translation, I wonder if there's some chance that the deal will also cover the animated version of it?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Okay, so Inklings are bloopers, I mean squids.

Octarians/octolings are Octopi.

Salmonoids are Salmon.

I've seen urchin people. And prawns (pre fried). And jellyfish. Horsehoe crabs, spider crabs, anemones, sea slugs... and to a lesser extent clownfish and crayfish...

I want more than just inklings playable.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
31 and 19 for my last 50 according to splatnet. Could be better, could be worse. Feeling pretty fresh.

So given the vast array of weapons and sub weapons at the inkling's disposal, plenty are going to get left out. Unless of course Smash keeps custom moves, in which case less will be left out but they will have the moveset variety of Palutena.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
team ketchup for me
I will squeeze your team dry on the ink filled field of battle in the honor of mayonnaise.

So earlier I posted that I wanted the other species playable...

I've expanded on that in my imagination, it breaks down like this:

Inklings and Octolings play the same. That's your neutral.

Urchins and jellyfish take less damage before they're splatted, but splatting them causes damage to the splatter.

Horseshoe crabs and spider crabs have lower swim speeds, but increased strafing speed when not swimming.

Salmanoids and Crusty Prawn types have incrased swim speed, but decreased strafing speed when not swimming.

Anemone's and Sea Slugs have lower swim and movement speeds, but increased weapon ranges and strengths.

Clownfish and crayfish remain unplayable as they're tiny hat living pets in the game.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I will squeeze your team dry on the ink filled field of battle in the honor of mayonnaise.
Good going, fellow Team Mayo player - show those Ketchupites what-for even before we meet on the splattlefield!

Clownfish and crayfish remain unplayable as they're tiny hat living pets in the game.
Can't we have them as obnoxious little sidekicks that add power to a certain ability whilst shouting random rudeness at opponents like they do in the shops? :laugh:

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Inklings are a great idea, they are technically mascots at this point. Lots of cool moves and colourful designs, there could be alts similar Wii Fit (male and female with different colours).

Definitely support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok mayo boys and girls, save it for the splatfest

edit: there's a new stage exclusive to splafests "shifty station" and it may even change from splatfest to splatfest

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The first part of the animated version of CoroCoro's Splatoon manga has been posted online.

As was fairly clear from the original announcement, this is literally an animated web-version of the manga, and it's not especially animated at that - it moves less than an early-2000s Flash cartoon.

I hope that nobody is left too disappointed after a bunch of places reported this as being an anime in the sense of the Western loanword, and not in the Japanese sense of the word simply meaning "animation".

Still, for what it is, it seems to be well-done. There's no word on any fan-translations at this time, though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so how's everyone finding the splatbrella? i love it

to bad i may actually be the worst splatoon player in the world

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo of America has announced a Walmart-exclusive Splatoon 2 bundle. It will be released on September 8th for $379.99, and includes the Switch console and Dock, one Neon Green and one Neon Pink Joy-Con, a Splatoon 2-themed carrying case, and a download-code for the full version of Splatoon 2.

http://i.imgur.com/NBOlCl0.jpg

If you're after a fresh-looking Switch for Splatoon 2 and, of course, Smash, once that shows up, this might be the one that you want. ;)

Incidentally, speaking of Smash in relation to the Splatoon series, I received a Nintendo UK survey about Splatoon 2, recently, and this was one of the early questions in it;

http://i.imgur.com/8rJPdT4.jpg

Since Smashboards' image-proxy is yet again broken at the time of writing, it asks "Which of these games, if any, have you owned and played?", with checkboxes for the following options;

"Any game from the Super Smash Bros. series"
"Any game from the Mario Kart series"
"None of these"

They appeared in that order.

No doubt it's just a demographics-related question, but I found it mildly interesting nonetheless.

not sure my self, flight i think
I will reign inky destruction from above! Flight for me.
Yay! We'll be on the same team! :laugh:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Team Ice Cream

Team Mayo

Team Flight

Also I don't own Splatoon 2. :p
Well, even without it, of the ones that have already taken place, you've been on both of the winning teams so far. :laugh:

EDIT: Nintendo UK has just announced the Splatoon 2 UK Championship!

NUK PR - Introducing the Splatoon 2 UK Championship!

Welcome, Inklings of all style and skill, to the Splatoon 2 UK Championship! Following the launch of Splatoon 2 on Nintendo Switch, this is our search for the best Splatoon 2 squid squad in the UK!

Whether you’re a well practised quartet or a solo player hungry to dive into more competitive play, the Splatoon 2 UK Championship offers a number of ways to get involved in the splatting fun, from local* multiplayer community events up and down the country to online** qualifiers that will allow you to team up with those that might live a little further afield.

In short, through the methods detailed below, a total of eight teams of four players will qualify for a grand final to be held at EGX 2017. These top eight teams will then compete in a tournament, broadcast via the Nintendo UK Twitch page from EGX 2017 for all to see, to find the UK’s top troupe of turf troopers!

The winning team will not only receive the adoration of Splatoon 2 players the UK over, each team member will also receive a trophy, a Splatoon 2 fan-bundle full of Splatoon merchandise, and an exclusive champion’s jersey to commemorate their achievement.

For more details on the qualification routes, please see below:

Qualification Route 1 – Insomnia61 Splatoon 2 Tournament
Announced last week, a tournament will be held on Saturday 26th August at Insomnia61. The winners of this tournament will be the first team to qualify for the Splatoon 2 UK Championship Grand Final. For information, click here.

Qualification Route 2 – ESL Online Qualifiers
ESL will host online qualifiers on three dates, Saturday 2nd September, Wednesday 6th September and Saturday 9th September. Once you have created an ESL account you will be able to either create a team with other ESL members and enter a tournament that way, or enter as a solo player and let ESL put you in a team for the online event. For specific details, and to sign-up for these tournaments, please visit the ESL sign-up page by clicking here.

Qualification Route 3 – Nintendo Players UK Community Events
Local Nintendo fan groups affiliated with the independent Nintendo Players UK community are hosting a number of events around the country with a goal to find two teams to represent the Nintendo Players UK community at EGX 2017. For more details on these events, and to help you find local Splatoon players in your area, please visit the Nintendo Players UK website by clicking here.

Qualification Route 4 – Nintendo Life League Battle Pair-up
We’ve partnered with our friends at Nintendo Life to find a pair of practised cephalopods to join the best two players from Nintendo Life’s staff at EGX in the Splatoon 2 UK Championship Grand Final! To be in with a chance you’ll need to team up with a friend and play in the 19:00-21:00 League Battle on Wednesday 30th August as a pair and, after the battle, share a screenshot of your record with @NintendoLife and #UKSplatChamps on Twitter showing your pair’s highest league power. The pair with the highest league power will join Nintendo Life at EGX 2017! For more information, please visit the Nintendo Life website by clicking here.

Qualification Route 5 – EGX 2017
There will be a last-chance qualifier at EGX 2017, held at the Nintendo Switch Tournament Area on the day of the Grand Final. For more information about this tournament, please keep an eye on the Splatoon UK Facebook page and Nintendo UK Twitter account for future EGX announcements.

So shout your loudest ‘Booyah’, gather your team, consider your gear wisely and get practising! Your skills will need to be at their freshest if your team wants to be crowned the winners of the Splatoon 2 UK Championship!

Good luck and, when in the midst of battle, just remember these words: don’t get cooked, stay off the hook!

Splatoon 2 is available in shops and as a downloadable version from Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch now. The Neon Green/Neon Pink Joy-Con Pair are also available now in stores.

*Local multiplayer requires one console and one copy of the software per player.

**Internet connection required during online play. The registration and linkage of Nintendo Account and acceptance of the Nintendo Account Agreement and Privacy Policy are required. Online services require a Nintendo Account. Starting 2018, some online services will also require a paid subscription. Paid online service availability may be limited based on location. Find out more about the paid online subscription service.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it seems that ship stage seen in the splatoon 2 direct is to be out on friday its called the manta maria

Top Bottom