• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Another point to consider is since we now have an influx of sword users in Super Smash Bros. Sakurai may try and balance it out with gun users (which we have lack of), this includes Inklings, along with Andy (possibly), Captain Flemming, Brigadier Betty and others. But as I said before, these guys will most likely be DLC.

D

Deleted member

I support! And if we don't get Inkling this Smash, at least we have Splatoon Linkling :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Another point to consider is since we now have an influx of sword users in Super Smash Bros. Sakurai may try and balance it out with gun users (which we have lack of), this includes Inklings, along with Andy (possibly), Captain Flemming, Brigadier Betty and others. But as I said before, these guys will most likely be DLC.
Remember he doesn't like realistic guns so they have to be more fantastical like Splatoon, the NES Zapper, The guns of S.T.E.A.M., maybe make the War's series only use sprite based summons with guns, etc.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I just hope that Sakurai could find a way for their Ink mechanic to be used in the game without any technical difficulties, but having them in would be a dream come true since:

1. It shows that Nintendo still makes more IPs that have no relation to their existing ones.
  2. An entirely original moveset that does not function like any other in the game.
  3. Promotes Smash Brothers as a series that celebrates both the New and Old Generations of the Nintendo Family.

Last edited:

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Remember he doesn't like realistic guns so they have to be more fantastical like Splatoon, the NES Zapper, The guns of S.T.E.A.M., maybe make the War's series only use sprite based summons with guns, etc.
If I remember correctly there maybe some third person shooting in S.T.E.A.M, so that might be where you control the COs. Plus (if I'm correct again) S.T.E.A.M is set in a SteamPunk universe, so not only will the characters look unique but so will the weapons.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
If I remember correctly there maybe some third person shooting in S.T.E.A.M, so that might be where you control the COs. Plus (if I'm correct again) S.T.E.A.M is set in a SteamPunk universe, so not only will the characters look unique but so will the weapons.
S.T.E.A.M is one of the Franchises I listed in what you quoted that doesn't have realistic guns like the advance war guns (at least in promo art). The guns of S.T.E.A.M. are very exaggerated and stylized steampunk with eagle crests and stuff (From what we have been shown so far.)

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Hey look at that, we are on the 8th page. Pretty impressive for a character that we have only known about for a few months and who hasn't had a game yet.

I do think Smash could go for some more gun heavy characters ( especially ones that aren't arm cannons), and the Inklings fill that spot without feeling out of place in the Smash universe.

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
Please Sakurai, we need Inkling DLC.
It's kind of funny how a character we've only seen in short clips has sooo much moveset potential.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
It's funny how Splatoon was considered originally towards being a Mario-universe game, but how they realized that if they made it about Mario, they'd lose the chance to create a new IP out of it. Now it's probably one of the most hype upcoming games, with an awesome new character/characters that are full of uniqueness, both in their design and in their abilities, that have been welcomed with open arms and mega popularity since their introduction.

Funny how this could've been just another Mario game. I think it's obvious the developers and Nintendo made the right choice.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
It's funny how Splatoon was considered originally towards being a Mario-universe game, but how they realized that if they made it about Mario, they'd lose the chance to create a new IP out of it. Now it's probably one of the most hype upcoming games, with an awesome new character/characters that are full of uniqueness, both in their design and in their abilities, that have been welcomed with open arms and mega popularity since their introduction.

Funny how this could've been just another Mario game. I think it's obvious the developers and Nintendo made the right choice.
It is sad soem fans still /wish/ it was a mario game... and even worse it probably would have sold better with mario's name and face slapped on the front. I hope it does well because it really is creative and fresh.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
It is sad soem fans still /wish/ it was a mario game... and even worse it probably would have sold better with mario's name and face slapped on the front. I hope it does well because it really is creative and fresh.
Well obviously it would have sold better, there's a certain benefit to having such name-brand recognition as Mario. But, as you said, it's creative and fresh, and it would not have been that if it was just Mario characters rather than the Inklings, so while it would have sold better, it would've just been another Mario game.

This way, it has the chance to become a Nintendo game, and possibly one of Nintendo's greats, and we might get a new Smash character and a bunch of cool items, trophies, and maybe a stage out of it!

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
Roster is final, set in stone, blah blah blah.
Now is the time of the Squid Girls.
Inkling for DLC!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Hope lives once again! Mewtwo's been taken care of, so now we just need Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Inkling and K.Rool and we'll have everything I could ask for.(except maybe Shovel Knight and Bomberman, but I guess that's really pushing it)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh my god I missed this thread so much.

Inkling's still at the top of my DLC character wishlist. I daresay they've got a strong chance of making it in as soon as Splatoon's released - let's hope the game lives up to its already stellar reputation!

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
So, during the lock era, a leak stated that once Splatoon is out, a patch will add a Splatoon stage, an Ink Gun item, and "maybe a new challenger".

Note how the 3DS stage select and Item Switch each have one slot left.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
So, during the lock era, a leak stated that once Splatoon is out, a patch will add a Splatoon stage, an Ink Gun item, and "maybe a new challenger".

Note how the 3DS stage select and Item Switch each have one slot left.
I love the sound of that. If not a character, then at least a stage would be nice to show off Splatoon when it releases. I need to see more on that game now.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I so want Inkling.

S/he'd be the second Future Release character in the series, and the first Future Release character who isn't a clone in the series.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure this is going to happen. It'll be cool. I'm also psyched to play Splatoon.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
all of a sudden Inkling is on the front lines!

Think about it, most really popular characters already appear in the game, so this could totally happen!

....possibly.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm very curious as to how Sakurai views Splatoon and the Inklings.

Sakurai might see adding the Inkling at Splatoon's release as a risk. Unlike Roy, the Inklings don't come from an existing franchise and at least Shulk had some time to pick up a following. Splatoon is completely untested.

That's why I think Sakurai might leave deciding on their fate until the last minute (near the end of the dlc development cycle) in order to gauge how popular they become.

Of course I'm banking on dlc not becoming a marketing with characters just to promote new releases. (I don't think they'd do that)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Inkling is a cool character, but I think there should be a little more in her case than just being a new IP before she gets in Smash...

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
The Inkling would be a good choice, but first we have to see if Splatoon is itself a popular game. Even so, I wonder how they would mix in Smash Bros.

I don't even want to theorize over this because we know so little about Splatoon, we wouldn't even know where to begin.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm not going to believe that Inkling's chances are high until I see how successful the game becomes. He already has the moveset potential, but doesn't have the success as other franchises. As of right now, I think they are very low.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
The first thing I thought when I saw the Splatoon trailer was: "aww man this could have been a good character for Smash Bros.". I knew it wouldn't happen since the game is going to be released post smash bros. but with DLC it is definitely a possibility now.

It would be good marketing to do something like a character & level pack free if you buy Splatoon.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Well, the Mewtwo DLC is coming in spring 2015, likely after the release of Splatoon, so by then Inkling will likely have her good share of fans.

Nice to see we're back to discussing potential characters.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Reaaaaaaaaaaally hoping we get newcomers as DLC instead of cut veterans and that one of the characters is Inkling. It is quite clear that Smash Bros works as a advertising, so Nintendo might as well put a character from its newest home console IP in Smash Bros. Obviously, the people interested in Smash outnumber the people interested in Splatoon by a massive margin, so Inkling being playable in Smash would most definitely help Splatoon a lot, specially if the DLC characters are released for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS too (the 3DS player base is like 10x bigger than the Wii U player base).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It makes so much sense to add Inklings it's not even funny. They're one of my most wanted characters for sure.
I'm not going to believe that Inkling's chances are high until I see how successful the game becomes. He already has the moveset potential, but doesn't have the success as other franchises. As of right now, I think they are very low.
Here's the thing. Putting a character/New IP in Smash Bros. basically solidifies good things for that series. Fire Emblem exploded after Melee, and now look at it. Basically, Inkling/Splatoon + Smash= Lots of $$$$ for Nintendo. Sounds good to me.

Inkling is a cool character, but I think there should be a little more in her case than just being a new IP before she gets in Smash...
Well I mean, the possibilities of the moveset are just too good to pass up in my opinion. Inklings seem like a pretty popular choice when it comes to DLC anyway, so there is little downside to adding this character imo.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That's because FE was very popular in Japan to warrant a character and it wasn't an upcoming IP being released.

If Splatoon does decently and becomes a popular franchise (Or has great merits like Xenoblade), then I could see it happening

Well I mean, the possibilities of the moveset are just too good to pass up in my opinion. Inklings seem like a pretty popular choice when it comes to DLC anyway, so there is little downside to adding this character imo.
Those same statements were said for Wonder Red and Dillon (and were new IPs_, and look what happened to them, they had a form of popularity and uniqueness. There's more to than just those two piece of criteria.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That's because FE was very popular in Japan to warrant a character and it wasn't an upcoming IP being released.

If Splatoon does decently and becomes a popular franchise (Or has great merits like Xenoblade), then I could see it happening

Those same statements were said for Wonder Red and Dillon (and were new IPs_, and look what happened to them, they had a form of popularity and uniqueness. There's more to than just those two piece of criteria.
...Wonder Red is still eligible for DLC. Dillon is an AT. Just because a character has those qualities doesn't necessarily make them in "for sure", but it makes them a good choice. I'm simply stating that those are good qualities to have for a prospective addition.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
They are good qualities for a character, but they don't make those kinds of characters very likely, there's also marketing and other things (iconicness for example) to consider to determine a newcomer's chances.

Reila

If iconicness truly mattered, at least ten or more of the characters present in Smash 4 wouldn't be playable :p

Anyways, I think there is a big difference between the Wonderful 101/Dillon's Rolling Western and Splatoon: The former games aren't popular. They weren't popular before the releases and they still aren't after. Splatoon, on the other hand, is already considerably popular and the game isn't even close to be out yet. Just compare the support Inkling gets to the support for Wonder Red and Dillon, the amount of fanart, etc.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
The thing about Smash is that its like a hub for Nintendo franchises to promote themselves. Splatoon will become a instantly more popular series if Inkling becomes a DLC character. Its a win/win scenario. Fans get to play as a new character, while Splatoon awareness is amplified. Anyway, I support Inkling.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, iconicness is only one of the things that can benefit their chances, it's not required, if you have other things like the franchise being popular, uniqueness, etc. you can get it. It depends really, that's about a percentage of the newcomer process IMO. :p

The thing about Smash is that its like a hub for Nintendo franchises to promote themselves. Splatoon will become a instantly more popular series if Inkling becomes a DLC character. Its a win/win scenario. Fans get to play as a new character, while Splatoon awareness is amplified. Anyway, I support Inkling.
Whether or not Sakurai wants to showcase the new IP is really up to him, it's really up to Nintendo, I'm probably going to bet no. If I were part of the Nintendo marketing team, I would wait till the franchise starts booming in popularity when the game is released before advertising hardcore (Like how Pokemon boomed in everywhere when it first released).

Reila

I dunno, Sakurai still works for Nintendo at the end of the day. If they say "put Inkling in Smash", Sakurai has no choice other than put Inkling in Smash. I am not saying Nintendo said/will say that, perhaps Sakurai himself thought it would be a great idea to put Inkling in Smash, given that she has quite the unique character design (compared to other Smash characters), as well as having potential for an unique moveset. That is, if Inkling was chosen for a DLC character, of course.

Top Bottom