• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Considering that Splatoon is one of the most creative Third Person Shooters I've ever seen, and more importantly, ACTUALLY LOOKS COMPETIVELY VIABLE, I don't think it's going to bomb. That would be just plain stupid.
Also, don't let Rule 34 ruin your opinion of a game. Splatoon is going to be awesome. Indecent art and fanfiction is an inevitability: It shouldn't ruin everything about a game.
Being Competitively viable isn't necessary for a games success or failure, I'd say it depends more on the game itself, the marketing, and the install base/consumers. I do agree it looks to be shaping up to be very creative and unique with a lot of strategy and that mature fan works shouldn't factor into whether a game is worth playing or not.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The only plausible way an Inkling could appear in Smash 4's initial roster is if they pulled a Greninja (who was literally included from concept art alone). So maybe Sakurai had some early artwork of Splatoon?

rmw6190

Smash Rookie
The only plausible way an Inkling could appear in Smash 4's initial roster is if they pulled a Greninja (who was literally included from concept art alone). So maybe Sakurai had some early artwork of Splatoon?
Yeah the inklings were not made until development of the game began, as the creators designed the characters to fight the game while making it.(as said during on of the nintendo treehouse live segments). I like the designs, but the development of splatoon didnt start until a year after smash 4's development, which means the inklings werent even close to being ready for smash designs. Also I have a theory that gamefreak made greninja the best starter by far in smash 4 so every one would be pumped about his inclusion in smash.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah the inklings were not made until development of the game began, as the creators designed the characters to fight the game while making it.(as said during on of the nintendo treehouse live segments). I like the designs, but the development of splatoon didnt start until a year after smash 4's development, which means the inklings werent even close to being ready for smash designs. Also I have a theory that gamefreak made greninja the best starter by far in smash 4 so every one would be pumped about his inclusion in smash.
Then they'll pull a Sonic and include them last minute even if it means delaying the game? :troll:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I have a feeling it is either DLC or next time for these guys. You don't know the future and it is good to keep some characters for the next installment that you know will hype people. You never know, it could be like Pikmin where in the next installment it would be the only new IP represented from the last generation or the last notable IP from this generation (I hope not though to both.)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I do find it odd how much promotion and attention Splatoon is getting compared to The Wonderful 101 which was incredibly neglected.

But that's an entirely different topic.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I do find it odd how much promotion and attention Splatoon is getting compared to The Wonderful 101 which was incredibly neglected.

But that's an entirely different topic.
Probably because Splatoon is being developed in-house by EAD. Wonderful 101, even though it's owned by Nintendo, was developed by Platinum. It's also a much harder game to market than a competitive TPS. I don't think a Splatoon character is happening this time, but I'd argue it's a near lock when the next Smash comes around.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Probably because Splatoon is being developed in-house by EAD. Wonderful 101, even though it's owned by Nintendo, was developed by Platinum. It's also a much harder game to market than a competitive TPS. I don't think a Splatoon character is happening this time, but I'd argue it's a near lock when the next Smash comes around.
IF that is a big if splatoon is successful I cant stress this enough that I hope for the franchise to be successful

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I think if the concept was on paper, Splatoon could have had a spot reserved in Smash, like Greninja wasn't on the initial roster plans but had a place holder. Lots of ifs.

Side note I hope Splatoon isn't limited to just multiplayer or just that game type. Hell, we could even see more character types.. I want a campaign and/or other game modes with different objectives. Like Capture The Flag or anything. Lots of potential.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I think if the concept was on paper, Splatoon could have had a spot reserved in Smash, like Greninja wasn't on the initial roster plans but had a place holder. Lots of ifs.

Side note I hope Splatoon isn't limited to just multiplayer or just that game type. Hell, we could even see more character types.. I want a campaign and/or other game modes with different objectives. Like Capture The Flag or anything. Lots of potential.
Reggie himself said that a shooter without a campaign mode or something similar would be "incomplete", so it seems like we'll get one of those. Besides that, you can probably expect other multiplayer modes, as multiplayer modes make a shooter. It's all most people play, after all.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Reggie himself said that a shooter without a campaign mode or something similar would be "incomplete", so it seems like we'll get one of those. Besides that, you can probably expect other multiplayer modes, as multiplayer modes make a shooter. It's all most people play, after all.
Right right, that being said, the demo alone was pretty strong and seemed to be addicting and enjoyable. Very raw. But good. Hopefully they don't ruin it somehow.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Gamexplain has put some new Splatoon gameplay footage from Gamescom but I'm pretty sure it's still the same build that they used at E3, so no new news there.

I support!
I don't think they have much of a chance this smash, but next smash they should defiantly come.
I don't think anyone here thinks that they will be playable when Sm4sh comes out, but hopefully if they add DLC characters the Inklings will be amongst them.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
So. Not a big deal, but how would Inklings hold items? Their guns are kind of two-handed. I know other characters have two-handed weapons in their moveset. I thought maybe they would use their hair tentacles for attacks and an extra set of hands, but that wouldn't work for the "boy" version.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
So. Not a big deal, but how would Inklings hold items? Their guns are kind of two-handed. I know other characters have two-handed weapons in their moveset. I thought maybe they would use their hair tentacles for attacks and an extra set of hands, but that wouldn't work for the "boy" version.
Maybe they'ed put the gun away temporarily, like Megaman's arm buster.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Maybe they'ed put the gun away temporarily, like Megaman's arm buster.
Is it possible for him to use the buster while he has an item? Isn't it only used for standard attacks that double as item throws? I know Dedede could use his down special while holding an item. Or Ike/Snake/Kirby's up specials. So like I said, it's not a big deal. Just something I was wondering about.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Is it possible for him to use the buster while he has an item? Isn't it only used for standard attacks that double as item throws? I know Dedede could use his down special while holding an item. Or Ike/Snake/Kirby's up specials. So like I said, it's not a big deal. Just something I was wondering about.
Yes, it's possible.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
How does Ike hold items? 2 handed things aren't really that much of a problem.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well it really depends on how their attacks work and if they can switch out between he different weapons (Grenade, Sniper, Default Gun, Bazooka, Roller, etc.) because then it wouldn't be odd for them to put it "away" into hammer space or use their guns with one hand. It'd probably be how they throw their grenades in their respective game and when they use a move where they go into the squid form the item is temporarily invisible.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
some of my moveset ideas (and some custom move variations):
B: Splatgun\Sniper Ink Rifle\ Super Tornado Weapon
Side B: Paint Roller\ Paint Grenade
Up B: Squid Spring-up\ Ink corkscrew
Down B: Squid Transformation

dezeray112

Smash Hero

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
So how about that roster leak. The Inklings aren't on it but it seems like it's the only thing that's being talked about in the character threads.
As other people have said it shouldn't be a problem, but I suppose if they wanted to have Squid hair attacks that could just limit it to the girl Inkling being playable (which I wouldn't mind because she has the cooler design) but I doubt they would go that route.

And if anyone is interested, here is a terrible article on Splatoon from IGN.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Wow, that article is stupid even by IGN standards. It always seems that they find a way to blame Nintendo when it's very clearly Microsoft's fault that there aren't any more Banjo-Kazooie games. People always seem to yell at Nintendo to keep churning out sequels then complain that they never do anything new.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
So how about that roster leak. The Inklings aren't on it but it seems like it's the only thing that's being talked about in the character threads.

As other people have said it shouldn't be a problem, but I suppose if they wanted to have Squid hair attacks that could just limit it to the girl Inkling being playable (which I wouldn't mind because she has the cooler design) but I doubt they would go that route.

And if anyone is interested, here is a terrible article on Splatoon from IGN.
I mean we've seen one game mode and they're acting like that's all the game will be. There could very well be a single player mode something like he's complaining about there not being.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Nintendo has confirmed that Splatoon will indeed have a Single Player Campaign mode.

I really hope Splatoon does well. It certainly has the potential of being Nintendo's next best thing.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
Wow, that article is stupid even by IGN standards. It always seems that they find a way to blame Nintendo when it's very clearly Microsoft's fault that there aren't any more Banjo-Kazooie games. People always seem to yell at Nintendo to keep churning out sequels then complain that they never do anything new.
Yeah, it's pretty dumb. I get that the author wants more N64 style platformers, but I don't know why they have to blame splatoon for not being one. The reason that I am so excited for the game is because it's so different from the usual games that Nintendo make.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Yeah, it's pretty dumb. I get that the author wants more N64 style platformers, but I don't know why they have to blame splatoon for not being one. The reason that I am so excited for the game is because it's so different from the usual games that Nintendo make.
Personally I'd just ask Yacht Club Games to make a 3D Shovel Knight to scratch that Banjo itch. It makes a lot more sense than trying to turn a shooter into an open-world platformer.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Personally I'd just ask Yacht Club Games to make a 3D Shovel Knight to scratch that Banjo itch. It makes a lot more sense than trying to turn a shooter into an open-world platformer.
They already mentioned A Hat In Time so it isn't even like there are zero options for them to play. Besides I foresee Collectathon Platformers and Low Poly being the next 'retro craze.'

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

Inklings are the kids from the recently revealed Splatoon. The extreme unlikelihood of getting this game represented aside, this character could present an interesting gameplay concept. Splattering the ground with paint and maintaining stage control could enable the character to utilize his/her squid form and move much faster. The character could use squid form, paint splatter and paint bombs as specials and use paint to positively impact your own mobility while hindering that of your opponents. This could result in a unique playstyle and help promote the new game. What do you think?
Moveset ideas:
B: Squid swim - Turns into Squid form and can move along ground. Fast if traveling through own ink, slow otherwise. Can be canceled. Can change direction.
B side: Paint roller - Pulls out paint roller to attack. Leaves a trail of paint behind.
B up: Super jump - Launches self high into air. Can attack afterward.
B down: Ink grenade - Pulls out Ink grenade that splatters ink everywhere. Functions similarly to Link's bombs.
Final Smash: Ink nuke - Covers stage in ink while dealing damage to anyone caught in the blast radius.
Jab: Ink shot - Shoots a glob of ink that arcs downward similar to Link's arrows. Can be rapid-fired. All globs of ink can be eliminated by attacking them, and also disappear after a set amount of time. Globs slightly reduce opponents' movement speed and increase own speed.
F-tilt: Ink shot while moving, like Megaman
U-tilt: Upward tentacle swipe
D-tilt: Downward tentacle swipe
F-smash: Sniper shot - Shoots sniper rifle forward towards the ground. The scope moves away from the Inkling along the ground as it is charged
U-smash: Bazooka Launch - Fires paint mortar upward before coming back down, like Snake's U-smash
D-smash: Bazooka Blast - Fires bazooka downward to splatter paint on both sides of the Inkling
N-air: Ink shot in air
F-air: Forward tentacle strike
B-air: Backward dual-hit tentacle strike
U-air: Upward flip kick
D-air: Downward tentacle slam. Spikes.
Dash Attack: Squid Strike - Turns into a squid and dives along ground. Goes much farther over painted area.
Maybe as a future DLC.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Cut veterans will probably take precedence over newcomers when it comes to Smash DLC, so the more of them there are, the less likely Inkling is for Smash 4. We're probably not getting anything, sadly.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I think Inkling is probably 100% for the next smash, we all know that much. Its being worked on by miyomoto and has no obvious barriers in adding her. Inkling DLC + Shulk & Robin would make this the best smash ever, I wouldn't even care if it was stupidly slow, or whatever, those 3 = awesome

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
where did you hear that?
Miyamoto is overseeing the project, but he isn't directly making it. The core team working on it is actually the EAD group who's previous work was Animal Crossing New Leaf.

That reminds me, Miyamoto was recently talking about how there was internal debates at Nintendo on whether or not Splatoon should be a Mario game before they decided to go with the Inklings. And I'm glad that they didn't go with Mario. I'm so sick of Mario being in everything from Nintendo and I do like the squid kid's design.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Miyamoto is overseeing the project, but he isn't directly making it. The core team working on it is actually the EAD group who's previous work was Animal Crossing New Leaf.

That reminds me, Miyamoto was recently talking about how there was internal debates at Nintendo on whether or not Splatoon should be a Mario game before they decided to go with the Inklings. And I'm glad that they didn't go with Mario. I'm so sick of Mario being in everything from Nintendo and I do like the squid kid's design.
Honestly, the designs are what hooked me on the idea of the . If it was just another mario game, i would have probably not given it much of thought.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Inkling's been near the top of my potential wishlist for good long while now and Wonder Red but that's neither here nor there and the idea of her being DLC excites me in every conceivable way. Not to mention the myriad of doors it could feasibly open up for other latecomers or under-appreciated heroes like my sweet darling Will Wedgewood.

See, this is what I love about Nintendo. I can't think of any creator that has such a vibrant, extensive mythos ranging from space opera sci-fi action about a woman in a power suit fighting an evil purple alien dragon to little astronauts fighting gigantic absurdities and collecting treasure with an army of tiny wee flower people. Splatoon has so much potential and it's refreshing and intriguing to see Ninty do something so brilliantly unexpected ans gloriously out of left field.

Last edited:

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Anyone make an 'Inkling for SSB4' signature icon yet??
I would wait till Super Smash Bros roster gets revealed, then we can add SSB4DLC in the bottom right corner.

On another note I support. I don't believe Inklings will make the initial roster but I can see later in 2015, a DLC pack consisting of new Nintendo IPs with Inklings, Wonder Red (I think it's high possibility that we will see him as DLC) and Captain Flemming (might of got the name wrong but it's the guy from the upcoming game, Codename S.T.E.A.M).

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I would wait till Super Smash Bros roster gets revealed, then we can add SSB4DLC in the bottom right corner.

On another note I support. I don't believe Inklings will make the initial roster but I can see later in 2015, a DLC pack consisting of new Nintendo IPs with Inklings, Wonder Red (I think it's high possibility that we will see him as DLC) and Captain Flemming (might of got the name wrong but it's the guy from the upcoming game, Codename S.T.E.A.M).
If anything, this is probably the most feasible DLC pack we could possibly get, aside from a Cut Veterans Pack and maybe a 'Royal Guardians' pack with Toad, Bandana Dee, and Impa. They all have 75-100% chances of getting into Smash 5, though!

I love me some Toad, but in all honesty if the Inklings were the first and/or only DLC character, I wouldn't even be [that] mad, because they're awesome, would be wholly unique in comparison to the rest of the cast, and the great reception they've garnered for themselves since their reveal basically guarantees them a spot in the next game even if Splatoon as a game doesn't live up the hype it's generated (which, albeit, is unlikely for various reasons), so why not add them now, especially if DLC ends up on the cards after the 3DS and/or Wii U versions or SM4SH are releases.

Top Bottom