• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
I love this, support! Just, the characters are chosen early on and Splatoon probobly didn't even have Inkling on paper. Her chances are super slim.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Kind of curious..have any supporters here had the chance to play Splatoon? The only chance was at E3, so I guess not.
It's a shame they won't be bringing it to Comic-Con, they should have an event just for it if you ask me.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Serious question: Is this the most support for Smash that has been given to a character whose first game has not been released yet?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Serious question: Is this the most support for Smash that has been given to a character whose first game has not been released yet?
It might just be because we know they will be added, it's just a matter of when they will be added. Now, as DLC, or in the next installment of Smash.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
It has a lot to do with this being Nintendo's first serious character-based IP in over a decade. The character also happens to provide plenty of potential as a unique Smash character.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
You know, not too many days ago, I had a dream that I was playing Splatoon. Well, I wasn't really playing it, rather I was actually in it. Ever since, I have found mineself really wanting the game. Before that, I was honestly thinking about skipping the game. Funny what your subconscious can do to you.

Though still, I hope they change the title theme--or at least get rid of that squeaky sound in it; that is what really makes me cringe and grind mine teeth.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Well, while we didn't get any new news on Splatoon at comacon, we did get this from Bill Trinen

Yeah...
Still, it's good to see so many people support a new I.P like this, it shows that Splatoon can be popular and bodes well for potential Smash DLC chances in the future.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Random thought, so don't take it as evidence or anything: Smash 4 has three characters that allow you to play as both genders, two of them are primarily promoted as male (Villager and Robin) and one is primarily female (Wii Fit Trainer). We also have the Miis, but those are on their own field since they're a "Play as whoever you want" character.

We only need Inkling to go alongside WFT as the two "Both genders but primarily female" characters to go against Villager and Robin.

Actually, I sort of see Inkling as a counterpart/rival to Villager. I don't know, but it kinda fits.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I'm very excited about Splatoon and I'm confident it'll be a great game. I am a bit concerned that it won't do as well as it should as anything done by Nintendo that isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, or Smash tends to be completely ignored by non-Nintendo oriented gaming media. (who then complain that Nintendo never does anything new) Nintendo needs to do something to make sure Splatoon doesn't become another forgotten gem/cult classic, and putting Inkling in as Smash DLC would be very helpful, in addition to what will hopefully be a competent marketing campaign.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'm very excited about Splatoon and I'm confident it'll be a great game. I am a bit concerned that it won't do as well as it should as anything done by Nintendo that isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, or Smash tends to be completely ignored by non-Nintendo oriented gaming media. (who then complain that Nintendo never does anything new) Nintendo needs to do something to make sure Splatoon doesn't become another forgotten gem/cult classic, and putting Inkling in as Smash DLC would be very helpful, in addition to what will hopefully be a competent marketing campaign.
They seem to be pushing it hard (1/2 the show floor at E3!)- they want to to be Nintendo's answer to shooters in the same vein of mario kart to racers and smash bros to fighters. DLC seems likely if not just music/a trophy.

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
Random thought, so don't take it as evidence or anything: Smash 4 has three characters that allow you to play as both genders, two of them are primarily promoted as male (Villager and Robin) and one is primarily female (Wii Fit Trainer). We also have the Miis, but those are on their own field since they're a "Play as whoever you want" character.

We only need Inkling to go alongside WFT as the two "Both genders but primarily female" characters to go against Villager and Robin.

Actually, I sort of see Inkling as a counterpart/rival to Villager. I don't know, but it kinda fits.
There are male Inkings? I thought they we all female, or genderless and just looked like girls

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
I Support this! Although, there not going to get into smash 4 traditionally, oh no...

I think that they are going to be announced as DLC characters maybe in a Splatoon themed direct, or to be announced at the games release.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
As reluctant as Nintendo usually is to get involved with DLC, it really makes sense to have some for things like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, as these series often have 5-6 years between console releases, leaving plenty of time to create quality content after the fact to extend the game's lifespan, instead of simply cutting content during development so it can be sold for extra money. Smash is also too potent of a marketing tool for Nintendo not to use it, and DLC enables Nintendo to promote games that happen to release after Smash without having to wait another 6 years on a different platform. Inkling for Smash DLC makes too much sense from a business perspective and can be done in a way that benefits the consumer as well. Hey, at least MK8 is getting updates, so maybe this is a sign that Nintendo will be doing more to support Smash 4 throughout its lifespan. Brawl certainly would've benefitted from making Mewtwo and Roy available for $10 in 2009/10 and having a few balance patches starting around the same time period.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm in support of them. I made my explanations clear in the Rate Their Chances today, but I'll put them up here again. I hope you don't mind.
Inkling as Assist Trophy: Want: 100%. While I know this is unusually high to give a character that's so recent a place as an Assist Trophy, I believe it would be a great way to introduce people who are both familiar or unfamiliar with Nintendo's newest IP. Basically, it'll be a bit like Roy:roymelee: from Melee, who was included in Super Smash Bros Melee alongside Marth:marthmelee::marth::4marth: to represent Fire Emblem; giving people a taste of what Fire Emblem is like. Roy was included to promote Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi, (FE6) and it was a clever move by Sakurai. If it worked for Fire Emblem, surely including the Inkling as an Assist Trophy would benefit the upcoming Splatoon game, by showing off the main characters in Smash Bros as an Assist Trophy.

Chance: 20% However, Splatoon has only just come out of Nintendo's delivery room of IPs, and really brought to the attention of gamers since E3 2014. Whether or not Sakurai has seen the development of Splatoon, I don't know. Perhaps it's a bit too recent to be thinking about them in Smash Bros. Not to mention, there's been no sign of them having any involvement so far, so it's a little uncertain.

Inkling as playable character: Want: 40%. While this is significantly lower than my Assist Trophy hypothesis, I'd be happy if they made the Inkling as a playable character. Like I said, she'll be representing her future game like Roy :roymelee:, and that would be a good choice. I believe most of what the Inkling can do in her upcoming future game can be translated into Smash, so here's my move set for Inkling:

She's predominantly a projectile and camping based character, relying on her paint weapons to slip up her opponents on the ground, but she is a weak fighter up close, relying on her projectiles like the Mii Gunner.
Move-set

:GCB: Neutral Special: Paint Shot: The Inkling prepares her paint gun and charges up a projectile made of paint. The longer you charge up the attack, the more damage it does. While it's being charged, the Inkling can aim her paint gun up or down for different effects, with the upwards version being an effective anti-air weapon, while aiming downward causes more paint to splatter on the ground in front of her, which makes it easier for her enemies to slip and follow up with combos when they are down.

:GCR: or :GCL::GCB: Side Special: Squid Rush: The Inkling quickly morphs into her squid form and dashes along the ground, spreading a trail of paint in her wake. It has short range, but it can be used to get around foes quickly and deals minor damage to them. It's very quick, and allows for a brief escape from enemy attacks.

:GCU::GCB: Up Special: Paint Rocket: The Inkling shoots pressurised paint from her paint gun, shooting her upwards like a rocket. It has very little horizontal recovery, but it allows the Inkling to quickly gain altitude.

:GCD::GCB: Down Special: Dissolve: This move can only be done on a paint splatter she made - Inkling quickly dives into the ground, able to avoid damage for a brief period of time, however, she can only move around in the space that she has coated in paint, so she can't move very far if she hasn't coated much of the ground in paint.

Final Smash: Paint Barrage: The Inkling takes out a massive paint bazooka and fires giant globs of paint around the stage, able to coat more of the stage in paint than her Neutral Special. It deals a lot of damage, but can easily be avoided.

Chance: 10%. The challenge here is how recent she is, and if Sakurai is aware of Splatoon. He may or may not want to represent it, but given it's such a recent concept and won't be released until 2015, I'm guessing it may be too late to add them in now. Those are my doubts about Inkling as a playable character.

These are my views on the Inkling for Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. If she doesn't make it this time, and if Splatoon eventually becomes a successful product for Nintendo that they are willing to continue, I'd say that Inkling has a good chance of appearing in Super Smash Bros in some way. It may not be in these games, but I'm in full support for Inkling.

rmw6190

Smash Rookie
I want them in the game. I, for one, dont care if nintendo promotes a future game in smash 4. I actually would like them to do so, especially wii u games like the wonderful 101 and splatoon. (Yes I know wonderful 101 is out but it still needs support). The problem i am seeing, is splatoon is way to late. the development didnt start until this time last year and smash was already about halfway through the development cycle at that point. All I know is when smash 5 comes around we will have a plethora of new ips characters to choose from and the inklings will likely be at the top of my list.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Splatoon looks.... addicting. I cannot wait to try it! And honestly, I love the inklings designs and they could easily be a really cool character in smash. I don't expect them, but I think it would be cool if they got in.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Does this Thread document its Supporters? If not, then it should and by the way, I support Inklings if that was not stated earlier.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I find splatoon to look like a very interesting game but people are already ruining it for me with indecent drawings and I also think their availability to be in smash will be determined by a variety of factors like relevancy or popularity which I think are 2 key important things that you need to qualify for smash I am rooting for the success of splatoon but if it isn't successful it will be all for naught in the efforts

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I find splatoon to look like a very interesting game but people are already ruining it for me with indecent drawings and I also think their availability to be in smash will be determined by a variety of factors like relevancy or popularity which I think are 2 key important things that you need to qualify for smash I am rooting for the success of splatoon but if it isn't successful it will be all for naught in the efforts
Indecent drawings shouldn't ruin a game for you, just ignore them. Sadly, pictures like that are made for practically every female video game character.

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Inkling seems pretty impossible as anything more than a Trophy in Smash 4, sadly. Hold out hope for Smash 4 fellas! Even if the game sells bad, they could be the next Olimar!

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
I wish all of Nintendo's upcoming games had "Pic's of the day". I hate that we will have to wait so long for more information on Splatoon or other games like Zelda U.
Indecent drawings shouldn't ruin a game for you, just ignore them. Sadly, pictures like that are made for practically every female video game character.
Yep, if we disregarded potential Smash characters because people will draw creepy fan art of them, then we wouldn't have any characters left to chose from. Just try to ignore it.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I wish all of Nintendo's upcoming games had "Pic's of the day". I hate that we will have to wait so long for more information on Splatoon or other games like Zelda U.
I think Nintendo is more afraid to show an incomplete game than anything else. SSB4 is getting Pic of the Days, but that is because Sakurai is at the Helm of operations.

Kind of like how we got some information on Star Fox Wii U, but all we got was a blurry image because Nintendo does not acknowledge it to be complete enough to show off.

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
but pikmin was an overall successful series not Mario successful but successful
It really isn't. I love Pikmin as much as the next guy, but I think the main reason Pikmin 3 even exists is because it's a passion project, much like Mother 3 (except Pikmin doesn't try to convey an overarching message and the series isn't axed off for good).
The point I was getting at is that Olimar went from being a character who only recently existed at Melee's release and was a trophy in it to playable in Brawl and onward. Inkling will very likely be the same case, getting a trophy and then a playable slot

mark welford

Smash Ace
It really isn't. I love Pikmin as much as the next guy, but I think the main reason Pikmin 3 even exists is because it's a passion project, much like Mother 3 (except Pikmin doesn't try to convey an overarching message and the series isn't axed off for good).
The point I was getting at is that Olimar went from being a character who only recently existed at Melee's release and was a trophy in it to playable in Brawl and onward. Inkling will very likely be the same case, getting a trophy and then a playable slot
I can argue about this but I can also put out facts for my statement to back it up

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
I think Nintendo is more afraid to show an incomplete game than anything else. SSB4 is getting Pic of the Days, but that is because Sakurai is at the Helm of operations.

Kind of like how we got some information on Star Fox Wii U, but all we got was a blurry image because Nintendo does not acknowledge it to be complete enough to show off.
Oh I know, I just want to hear more about the game. I hope we at least don't have to wait till next e3 for more news.

Anyway as an inhouse Nintendo I.P whose characters have a lot that they could offer for a Smash moveset, I think as long as Splatoon sells somewhat decently and builds a dedicated fanbase, the Inklings will be a shoe-in for the next Smash game.

That being said, the game could still bomb and be forgotten about 5 years down the line. I'll admit my fear of this happening is one of the reasons that I want the Inklings to be in this game, since it will help to keep the Inklings relevant.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Oh I know, I just want to hear more about the game. I hope we at least don't have to wait till next e3 for more news.

Anyway as an inhouse Nintendo I.P whose characters have a lot that they could offer for a Smash moveset, I think as long as Splatoon sells somewhat decently and builds a dedicated fanbase, the Inklings will be a shoe-in for the next Smash game.

That being said, the game could still bomb and be forgotten about 5 years down the line. I'll admit my fear of this happening is one of the reasons that I want the Inklings to be in this game, since it will help to keep the Inklings relevant.
you put your point right on the money relevancy and popularity is a big factor in determining the availability of a character in smash and this is the first completely new Nintendo franchise in a decade and some change since pikmin that is why I say if it is successful which im rooting for we will see a representative if not we wont and if some of you did not notice melee came out the same year as pikmin

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Hey in some footage I saw an Inkling use a giant paintroller on the ground while running. I figure that would be a good Dash Attack.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Considering that Splatoon is one of the most creative Third Person Shooters I've ever seen, and more importantly, ACTUALLY LOOKS COMPETIVELY VIABLE, I don't think it's going to bomb. That would be just plain stupid.
Also, don't let Rule 34 ruin your opinion of a game. Splatoon is going to be awesome. Indecent art and fanfiction is an inevitability: It shouldn't ruin everything about a game.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I remember back when everyone thought we'd get a character from Miyamoto' new IP (until we saw those new IPs) and with the large amount of focus on Splatoon, the chance is there for them making it into Sm4sh.

Splatoon better do well so that they have a chance at DLC or 5mash.

I support nonetheless. Not sure if painting the entire stage will be a mechanic they can work in easily.

I do like the two puddle mechanic that Vaporeon uses in Super Smash Land...

And covering the whole stage would be cool if they could work it, or just as a final smash. Could make other players slow down and get stuck, swim around as a squid and pull people under krakken style. Haha.

If they are in this game, the squid transformation can't be a true transformation. Though I think it would be cool if squid form could dash under people to trip them, and have grab moves.

And I'd imagine each color swap would be a different ink color.

No matter how you look at it, the have HUGE moveset potential.

Besides Mario Kart and Smash Bros, Splatoon is my third most wanted Wii U game, and then Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom