• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Even though they're unlikely, I support. Also, this is a moveset I could see realistically being used.
B:Shoots ink with her gun. Also, all floor that it touches gets splattered with ink. Opponents slip on the ink. After a while, the ink will start to disapear, though, so you have to keep running around and inking everything.
Side B: Throws an ink grenade. It also splatters the floor.
Up B: Turns into a squid and jumps up. Has the animation of the gamepad 'warp to another player' thing.
Down B: Squirts the ground right below her with ink. If you use it while standing on ink, you will go into the ink. After a few seconds, though, you have to come back up. Also, people can hit you out of the ink.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The fact that this already has 64 supporters shows just how much people are excited for Splatoon. Sakurai needs to make this happen. If not DLC, I think Inklings will be frontrunners for the next Smash game.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I hope so. I'm stoked for the game. I just hope it actually lives up to hype... Other games (like W101) may have been good but just didn't get the sales or popularity. I'm hoping Splatoon does because it has real potential to be a baller franchise and Smash character

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's ironic that the Inklings' high uniqueness actually practically ruins any chance they have of being playable in Smash 4. Yeah there's DLC in the future, but I doubt a character as potentially complex as Inkling's, well, ink mechanic would make it as extra content. The only real chance they have is if Sakurai pulls a Roy and added them from the very beginning.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I'd be down with the Inklings, Splatoon is crazy fun. Support.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
You Inklings can certainly pull off Sporty Punk looks
But all this Ink will ruin my clothes

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I've been slowly gaining more and more hype for Splatoon, and thusly it has increased my hopes for the inklings to make it in, even though it seems about as unlikely as my other character I would like to see, Lip... But I'll be hoping for the best!
Maybe they could be one of the final unlockables to help advertise the game, as Roy was in Melee to advertise the new Fire Emblem coming out... Fingers crossed!

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I hope so. I'm stoked for the game. I just hope it actually lives up to hype... Other games (like W101) may have been good but just didn't get the sales or popularity. I'm hoping Splatoon does because it has real potential to be a baller franchise and Smash character
It's an EAD game, and the first "character-based" new one since the double-whammy of Pikmin and Animal Crossing 13 years ago. I have a feeling Nintendo will pull out the stops to make sure this game gets some love. I just love that "3rd Person Multiplayer Shooter" is now a genre with an official Nintendo take.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would love for Splatoon to include some cameo stuff, or stuff that's just inspired by other things from around nintendo.
Like a blooper or something.
Or even like a shadow mario colour scheme as an alt costume for your inkling.
Or even the brush making a cameo, as a special item or something.

There's lots of squid/ octo pokemon but maybe that's too far.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I really hope Splatoon does well. It could be a glorious new IP for Nintendo... They have to have more original games like this fo sho.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I would love for Splatoon to include some cameo stuff, or stuff that's just inspired by other things from around nintendo.
Like a blooper or something.
Or even like a shadow mario colour scheme as an alt costume for your inkling.
Or even the brush making a cameo, as a special item or something.

There's lots of squid/ octo pokemon but maybe that's too far.
I believe there's a Blooper poster on the walls of the arena that was playable at E3. It was sort of shown off too in one of the Treehouse streams.
If someone could help and provide an image if possible. I'd do it myself but I've had a really long day and just don't want to go looking around at the moment. I was at AX in Los Angeles if anyone's wondering.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I propose that there be unlockable Pokemon themed hats for our inklings.

tentacool, tentacruel, octillary, Inkay, and malamar.

special edition smeargle hat with tail.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I propose that there be unlockable Pokemon themed hats for our inklings.

tentacool, tentacruel, octillary, Inkay, and malamar.

special edition smeargle hat with tail.
Hey, if Bayonetta can do the thing, why not Splatoon

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Thinking about replacing one of my support pictures for Inkling...

Probably going to, actually...

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Double Post Warning Received
Is it.. is it different from the one already there?
*checks OP* Oh! Well, how derp of me.

Well, I noticed that you are able to turn into a squid and move around as one without standing in ink. I guess we have their crouch and crawl animations covered, then.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OTchqsOZT0M

Victory Theme and Victory Poses @ 5:32. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Sakurai's definitely been focusing on Nintendo's most recent highlights in terms of representation, rather than going back and picking up classic Nintendo characters, as all of the first-party newcomers outside of Villager either originated in the Wii generation or later, or were rebooted during said time period. This is very different compared to Brawl and Melee, which tended to place greater emphasis on established characters. (except for Fire Emblem/Pokemon) This trend seems to bode well for the Inklings, whether it's as DLC or in Smash 5.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Sakurai's definitely been focusing on Nintendo's most recent highlights in terms of representation, rather than going back and picking up classic Nintendo characters, as all of the first-party newcomers outside of Villager either originated in the Wii generation or later, or were rebooted during said time period. This is very different compared to Brawl and Melee, which tended to place greater emphasis on established characters. (except for Fire Emblem/Pokemon) This trend seems to bode well for the Inklings, whether it's as DLC or in Smash 5.
The DS/Wii era was like a renaissance for Nintendo and their first home console to outsell its predecessor. They focused on an untapped market that previously many thought was unmarketable and unprofitable. Also Sakurai mentioned he disliked how Olimar was the only newer/newest IP/character in brawl (Lucas was planned for Melee and Lucario is mentioned in the gen 3 mystery dungeon games.)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Inkling's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Inkling's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I hate classifying things like that, but it could easily be considered Trickster with the movesets people are speculating.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Definitely Ranger-Trickster.
This. My proposed moveset was primarily based on Snake and Megaman, mainly Megaman's projectile oriented moveset combined with Snake's stage control and setups. They're vulnerable in CQC, but very difficult to approach or catch as long as they've got enough ink down.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This. My proposed moveset was primarily based on Snake and Megaman, mainly Megaman's projectile oriented moveset combined with Snake's stage control and setups. They're vulnerable in CQC, but very difficult to approach or catch as long as they've got enough ink down.
So according to the types that would give Inkling the most trouble would be the Bruisers, Resistors and Speedsters correct? If so, what about Puppeteers?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768

Ranger. Just... anyone with a gun is automatically a ranger.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
So according to the types that would give Inkling the most trouble would be the Bruisers, Resistors and Speedsters correct? If so, what about Puppeteers?
Yes, although some of the slower Bruisers like Ganondorf might have trouble getting in on them. Puppeteers are an interesting case because Inklings would have the ability to go on the offensive with Squid form and attack the puppet master directly if they can get enough ink down. It would depend on the puppet master's ability to exert pressure and prevent this from happening. These types of matchups would probably be fairly even, but would require playing the MU different than most.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yes, although some of the slower Bruisers like Ganondorf might have trouble getting in on them. Puppeteers are an interesting case because Inklings would have the ability to go on the offensive with Squid form and attack the puppet master directly if they can get enough ink down. It would depend on the puppet master's ability to exert pressure and prevent this from happening. These types of matchups would probably be fairly even, but would require playing the MU different than most.
How would Inkling fare against Speedster/Rangers? Mainly those that play like: :4tlink:?

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
How would Inkling fare against Speedster/Rangers? Mainly those that play like: :4tlink:?
Keep in mind that I'm envisioning Squid form in ink as having close to Sonic-level mobility, so trying to counter-camp Inkling would require being disruptive enough with projectiles to prevent this kind of setup. Ink would also hinder opponents trying to retreat, so such a matchup would probably slightly favor Inkling. The kinds of characters that would likely serve as bad matchups would either be a rushdown character like Fox, who could both exert constant pressure and reflect projectiles, or an aerial character like Jigglypuff, who could largely ignore ink setups and abuse her aerial mobility to get in close.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that I'm envisioning Squid form in ink as having close to Sonic-level mobility, so trying to counter-camp Inkling would require being disruptive enough with projectiles to prevent this kind of setup. Ink would also hinder opponents trying to retreat, so such a matchup would probably slightly favor Inkling. The kinds of characters that would likely serve as bad matchups would either be a rushdown character like Fox, who could both exert constant pressure and reflect projectiles, or an aerial character like Jigglypuff, who could largely ignore ink setups and abuse her aerial mobility to get in close.
So Inkling would struggle most with Juggler type fighters like :4luigi:, correct?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
So Inkling would struggle most with Juggler type fighters like :4luigi:, correct?
Inkling struggles most against speedsters and fast bruisers like Falcon that can get in close before it can put down its ink. Jugglers are a problem once they get in, but not all of them will be able to do so easily. Only ones like Jigglypuff and Peach, who are able to stay in the air for extended periods of time are particularly problematic. Luigi specifically would probably have a fairly neutral to slightly disadvantageous matchup, depending on how good he is at approaching.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I don't care if it's as DLC or as a newcomer for Smash 5, I want these kids in Smash Bros. at some point. They lend themselves near perfectly to Smash.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This kinda goes without saying, but I think the possibility of Inklings for DLC hinges completely on what amount of effort the team will put into said prospect.

If all we see are cut veterans returning and/or clones then there's basically no hope for playable Splatoon representation in Smash 4 since an Inkling would need a totally unique moveset with complicated mechanics (if the movesets we're speculating are anything to go by) in order to be presented properly.

Top Bottom