• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I am a supporter. Think about the possibility of a beautiful stage that gets colored and inked when the battle goes on. I love colors.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
These guys have jumped into my most-wanted newcomer slot, I've always wanted Bowser Jr. in with his paintbrush, but this is even better and with the possibility of DLC, I'm all for these guys. Supporting.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I thought about this myself two days ago. I'm really hoping they get introduced, though I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Finally, a fun lighthearted shooter worthy of being called a Nintendo IP. I have high hopes that Splatoon will get representation in Smash as DLC.

This Snagret supports.
:shades:

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
If the game manages to keep up this explosive popularity after release, I could definitely see them as a viable DLC candidate. Would love to see it myself.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
They'd make a really great DLC character! I support 100%

It'd be neat if they could actually throw ink on the stage and use it to their advantage. Also a squid form dash attack would be neat!

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I support them! I really hope they do make it in despite being so new into the Nintendo franchise! If not, maybe next game if there is one! Another character with Male-Female alternates!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I support them! I really hope they do make it in despite being so new into the Nintendo franchise! If not, maybe next game if there is one! Another character with Male-Female alternates!
I am not sure if their are male inklings... They all look female to me. Also if you want to get technical this says juvenile squid are impossible to determine their gender and sex linked characteristics of a squid are all internal with males being slightly larger, but they are not real squids so ...idk...

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So many supporters. Splatoon's popularity is impressive.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I am not sure if their are male inklings... They all look female to me. Also if you want to get technical this says juvenile squid are impossible to determine their gender and sex linked characteristics of a squid are all internal with males being slightly larger, but they are not real squids so ...idk...

Pretty sure this inkling's intended to be male.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm a supporter. I just wonder if the game will have a campaign mode with a named inkling.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Pretty sure this inkling's intended to be male.
That could be possible.

Still not 100% sure though. It could very well be a male with a top knot for his tentacles. Also his eyebrows are the flipped compared to the female's and he wears baggier clothes/doesn't have a slight curve to his torso although that may be the costume design. He also has smaller and less colorful shoes... He really could be male but it is hard to tell. It makes sense at least.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
You know, the fact that the Inklings have three pages worth of discussion and probably between 25-50 users supporting their inclusion in the Smash Bros series (note: I did not actually count the number of supporters before I posted this, just guesstimating), even though we've only known about them for literally less than a week - and that's just on Smashboards; on that note, how are other sites like NeoGAF, GameFAQs, etc. responding to Splatoon and the Inklings, especially towards them being in Smash? - just shows that they kinda need to be in at this point.

Well, "need" is a strong word in this case, haha, but they really should get in just because of the possibilities, and the support they've garnered as characters just in five days, and if they're in as DLC sometime in the next year (DLC coinciding with their game release, perhaps?), then I'm all for it. If we have to wait until Smash 6 (3DS&WIIU = 4&5), then the Inklings should be one of the first newcomers, and by the looks of it will probably be one of the most supported as well.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
You know, the fact that the Inklings have three pages worth of discussion and probably between 25-50 users supporting their inclusion in the Smash Bros series (note: I did not actually count the number of supporters before I posted this, just guesstimating), even though we've only known about them for literally less than a week - and that's just on Smashboards; on that note, how are other sites like NeoGAF, GameFAQs, etc. responding to Splatoon and the Inklings, especially towards them being in Smash? - just shows that they kinda need to be in at this point.

Well, "need" is a strong word in this case, haha, but they really should get in just because of the possibilities, and the support they've garnered as characters just in five days, and if they're in as DLC sometime in the next year (DLC coinciding with their game release, perhaps?), then I'm all for it. If we have to wait until Smash 6 (3DS&WIIU = 4&5), then the Inklings should be one of the first newcomers, and by the looks of it will probably be one of the most supported as well.
They seem to be very popular on miiverse under the E3 community as well.... I am pretty sure if they keep their popularity up until the wii u smash's release and DLC was possible they might consider them. Though I see any cut characters making DLC first before any newcomers... Plus if they are DLC then I wonder if any gimmick they would have had would be toned down because they are DLC instead of being implemented from the beginning.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Hopefully Nintendo does a good job with this game, both in terms of making it good and marketing it properly, so that it gets enough lasting popularity to warrant representation, either in this Smash via DLC or in future ones. Inklings have tons of potential for Smash.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
They seem to be very popular on miiverse under the E3 community as well.... I am pretty sure if they keep their popularity up until the wii u smash's release and DLC was possible they might consider them. Though I see any cut characters making DLC first before any newcomers... Plus if they are DLC then I wonder if any gimmick they would have had would be toned down because they are DLC instead of being implemented from the beginning.
Somebody mentioned the possibility of having a "Newcomers" DLC pack which included Inkling, Wonder Red, and Henry from Codename S.T.E.A.M. being that they all were introduced after SM4SH started production, too late to be added, but are all fairly popular Nintendo characters despite their newness. If they released in DLC characters in groups, I expect a "Veterans" DLC pack to come up first-thing (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Roy, or any combination of the four, assuming any of all of them don't get in), so I agree with you regarding that.

But, as far as after that, I can see the popularity and unique possibilities of the three new characters above getting them at least considered for possible DLC, and I'd be all for it.

And on the contrary, I'd think that because they'd be working on anywhere between 1-20 characters as opposed to 50, we'd get even more unique gimmicks, because they have more time to spend on each character individually since they'd be working on less at a time, and while I can understand why you say that, considering it's DLC, I don't see Sakurai or Nintendo gimping on the characters simply because they weren't in the baseline roster.

Reila

If the leak about Nintendo planing DLCs is legit, then I am pretty confident Inkling will be added to Smash.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Somebody mentioned the possibility of having a "Newcomers" DLC pack which included Inkling, Wonder Red, and Henry from Codename S.T.E.A.M. being that they all were introduced after SM4SH started production, too late to be added, but are all fairly popular Nintendo characters despite their newness. If they released in DLC characters in groups, I expect a "Veterans" DLC pack to come up first-thing (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Roy, or any combination of the four, assuming any of all of them don't get in), so I agree with you regarding that.

But, as far as after that, I can see the popularity and unique possibilities of the three new characters above getting them at least considered for possible DLC, and I'd be all for it.

And on the contrary, I'd think that because they'd be working on anywhere between 1-20 characters as opposed to 50, we'd get even more unique gimmicks, because they have more time to spend on each character individually since they'd be working on less at a time, and while I can understand why you say that, considering it's DLC, I don't see Sakurai or Nintendo gimping on the characters simply because they weren't in the baseline roster.
I mean if say their gimmick was the ability to lay paint down on walkable terrain and the ability to turn into a squid/move faster on the paint then that is a lot of work for a DLC plus it could cause some issues with debugging since it is an over the top gimmick and they didn't have the foresight to design the engine and textures with it in mind. It might be too much time/work and they'd come up with a less unique or crazy gimmick. I guess it would also depend on if they are paid or free DLC.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
That could be possible.

Still not 100% sure though. It could very well be a male with a top knot for his tentacles. Also his eyebrows are the flipped compared to the female's and he wears baggier clothes/doesn't have a slight curve to his torso although that may be the costume design. He also has smaller and less colorful shoes... He really could be male but it is hard to tell. It makes sense at least.
I'm with you on this. While it would make sense to have a mix of male and female characters as inklings I'd be lying if I said i wasn't a bit excited about having a shooter starring all girls. It'd make the game even more different then standard shooters

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'm with you on this. While it would make sense to have a mix of male and female characters as inklings I'd be lying if I said i wasn't a bit excited about having a shooter starring all girls. It'd make the game even more different then standard shooters
I saw a lot of people actually loving the amount of female representation in splatoon (Especially after Ubisoft's controversial statement at E3 this year)- even if it is 50/50 and that is a male inkling that still is (sadly) more female representation than most games (especially shooters) have.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice

Yes, I'm expecting a Melee Vet pack with Roy, Mewtwo (Or Pichu if he's in) & Dr.Mario/Young Link, a Brawl Vet pack with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Lucas and one or two newcomer packs. I can totally see Inkling, Wonder Red and Henry being New I.P. based DLC and heck, may come to expect it if we hear more on DLC from the actual team.

Reila

Yes, I'm expecting a Melee Vet pack with Roy, Mewtwo (Or Pichu if he's in) & Dr.Mario/Young Link, a Brawl Vet pack with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Lucas and one or two newcomer packs. I can totally see Inkling, Wonder Red and Henry being New I.P. based DLC and heck, may come to expect it if we hear more on DLC from the actual team.
You are expecting to be disappointed, then.

Personally, I would rather have DLC for new characters only, not cut characters. Mewtwo should be in Sm4sh without the need for DLC, also.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
These adorable and badass little squid kids have huge potential for Smash, and I'm totally a supporter for their inclusion as DLC. At the very least, I hope they're included as trophies.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I really liked seeing them in action at E3. Even though their chances of getting in at this point are very slim, I'd still like for them to make an appearance in this game somehow.

But hey, maybe we can hope that they become DLC.

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think a trophy is the best we can possibly hope for, but even that is unlikely this late into development. If there is DLC though, Inkling is a very possible choice, especially seeing as a lot of the newcomers in this game are from recent games.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah, I think a trophy is the best we can possibly hope for, but even that is unlikely this late into development. If there is DLC though, Inkling is a very possible choice, especially seeing as a lot of the newcomers in this game are from recent games.
Isn't that because Sakurai said somewhere after he got done with Brawl that it made him sad the most recent character was Olimar & the Pikmin? Maybe that is why he is more focused on the newer characters and adding in previously unrepresented franchises this time around.

N0ble1

Smash Rookie
Been meaning to post this for a while as it's relevant, finally got around to doing it,

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
You are expecting to be disappointed, then.

Personally, I would rather have DLC for new characters only, not cut characters. Mewtwo should be in Sm4sh without the need for DLC, also.
I don't get dissapointed easily. If it doesn't happen then I'll get over it within seconds, that said, I think Vets are a bit more likely than newcomers as DLC. At the very least I wouldn't be surprised if Roy, Mewtwo (Again, if he's not in), Squirtle and Ivysaur.

That said, the comment was made about an hour before a major exam. I needed some optimism. :p, If I were to reiterate that comment, I would say I'd think one of the three were likely as newcomers (DLC).

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I can see Splatoon getting something in Smash 4 - a stage would be cool but more realistically a trophy.

Smash 5 on the other hand... I can see already that Inklings will be on many peoples rooster lists. That moveset potential is just too good to pass up on.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
They would be awesome and a prime DLC candidate if their popularity continues to skyrocket. I support !

My favorite design is the female one with tentacle hair, she's really neat.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I mean, the one with the really long hair. Basically your profile picture, lol. Unless there are two female Inklings with long tentacle hair ?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This game has become so popular and it wasn't even known about a mere week ago. There's no doubt in my mind Sakurai would consider them for DLC if their popularity keeps up.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Without even playing the game and from the little I have seen, I really hope Splatoon takes off as Nintendo's next big IP. I would absolutely love to see an Inkling as a DLC character (maybe coming out around the time of Splatoon?). It's crazy, I don't like supporting something unless I have a good grasp of the item in question, but with these characters you can just sense the creativity. Plus the potential for a Splatoon based level is just too good.

Id love it if the roller was somehow incorporated into the characters move set. Or at the very least a splatoon based item would be cool too.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
It'd also be nice to see that fat cat in their victory pose similar to how lil mac got Doc Louis.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't see them getting in until Smash 5. I imagine Sakurai/whomever takes over the series in the event this is his last time with us, will probably want to save some of these new potential characters for Smash 5.

That said whether we get them in DLC or Smash 5? Give me them. They'd be so fun and unique.

Top Bottom