• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well I mean, the possibilities of the moveset are just too good to pass up in my opinion. Inklings seem like a pretty popular choice when it comes to DLC anyway, so there is little downside to adding this character imo.
I'm going to have to agree with BluePikmin, that kind of stuff is said (and is true) for lots of new IPs, but it doesn't mean they can automatically stack up to series like AC, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, Punch-Out, etc. or any of the other series that already have been included, so really the only way we'd get Inkling imo is if Nintendo insisted on it for promotional purposes, and them pressuring Sakurai over the roster to that extent seems unlikely since he's usually given pretty free reign (at least by them).

And honestly I don't see them being that popular, probably due to most people not really expecting them. Like it always does their popularity will probably spike closer to release of the game, but at that point I doubt Sakurai will still be in the stage of accepting characters for DLC, they'll likely have been decided already. They're probably already decided now. I don't doubt they'll be a definite contender next time around, especially if we get multiple Splatoon games by then, but as for this time... I think they arrived too late to the party.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I'm pretty sure we'll get a Splatoon stage first, similar to how there's a Yoshi's Wooly World stage. Just as a "Hooray, Splatoon is out. Register the game and get the Splatoon stage for freeeeeee".
Then probably once Splatoon has settled, then we get the character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm going to have to agree with BluePikmin, that kind of stuff is said (and is true) for lots of new IPs, but it doesn't mean they can automatically stack up to series like AC, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, Punch-Out, etc. or any of the other series that already have been included, so really the only way we'd get Inkling imo is if Nintendo insisted on it for promotional purposes, and them pressuring Sakurai over the roster to that extent seems unlikely since he's usually given pretty free reign (at least by them).

And honestly I don't see them being that popular, probably due to most people not really expecting them. Like it always does their popularity will probably spike closer to release of the game, but at that point I doubt Sakurai will still be in the stage of accepting characters for DLC, they'll likely have been decided already. They're probably already decided now. I don't doubt they'll be a definite contender next time around, especially if we get multiple Splatoon games by then, but as for this time... I think they arrived too late to the party.
First, I'd like to mention this article. http://www.nintendojo.com/news/sakurai-explains-how-characters-are-chosen-for-super-smash-bros

Here, Sakurai mentions nothing about the prominence of a series besides if they have a future or not. In fact he mentions that they look at series/games that are currently in development. Splatoon is certainly one the games currently in development, meaning that it's entirely possible that it was looked at.

Splatoon is also a game that has had a strange amount of hype behind it based on the fact that it's a brand new IP, something that Nintendo has been trying to squeeze out. While Wonderful 101 was a brand new IP (and was unfortunately ignored by a large amount of people, which is a shame), it wasn't given much of a push besides a Nintendo Direct. If you take Splatoon, which is a game that has some hype going for it, and put it into Smash around the time of release (or announce DLC for the character) the hype gets even more real. If an Inkling is in Smash, people will essentially flock to playing as them. That's how Smash fans are. People like Inklings, get interested in Splatoon, and then Nintendo makes money.

Sakurai goes on to say that they look at what the characters can do and determine if they are different enough. Splatoon itself is an original concept, and Inklings share hardly anything in common with the rest of the roster. Besides this, it just makes so much sense to add them that it hurts.

I don't know a lot about how DLC operates, but @thethirdkoopa knows a bit about that I think. But from what I know about Sakurai's words here, I feel like Inklings have a decent shot.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Splatoon gets a character, it won't be without merit.

The team behind Splatoon will have to convince the Smash 4 development team that a Splatoon character (whether the Inkling or Splatoon Boy/Girl avatar characters) will have to be:
1. A character type like something we've never seen in Smash.
2. A character idea that could work in Smash.
3. A character idea that would stand out in Smash.
4. A character that could be something that would make people more interested in the game, including possibly expanding Smash's audience.
5. A character that is fun to play as.
6. A character with lasting appeal.
7. A character that fits within the confines of the roster without feeling like a boring rehash (this point is far more true for original characters)

If the development team can be convinced that a Splatoon character fits that mold, chances are they're right.

However, ultimately the only opinion that matters is the opinion of the Smash Bros. players/customers.

"The customer is always right" is true in the extent as the customer chooses what product(s) survive, and what product(s) die.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I dunno, prominence could be one of those "lot things". Maybe it was one of the main reasons why :4villager:and :4wiifit:were added in the first place.
You're taking that and it seems like a stretch to me. Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are surely important series. But to say that every single character must be on par with those two is a bit much. As you said, there are many reasons characters are added. Not just that particular one. That doesn't hurt Inklings really in my opinion.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Which is why I said one of the main reasons. :U

Of course it doesn't have to be on par, at most, a series with decent popularity like Xenoblade and Mother got their for different reasons. There's probably more to picking newcomers what he just said in that article you posted. You were arguing that prominence wasn't a part of the newcomer criteria there in the article right? That's why I argued back.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

I'm sure you don't know this, but :roymelee: was actually a promotional character who appeared in Melee before his own game, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.

They're definitely not afraid of using Smash to promote future games, so there's no reason to not advertise Splatoon this way unless they decide that other characters would be preferable.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think it would be best if they start development on Inkling soon while Splatoon itself is being completed (which is stated to be released "first half of 2015").

Once Splatoon is released, Inkling should be offered as a Club Nintendo registration bonus for a free DLC character initially, then they offer Inkling as a separate paid download afterwards.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
First, I'd like to mention this article. http://www.nintendojo.com/news/sakurai-explains-how-characters-are-chosen-for-super-smash-bros

Here, Sakurai mentions nothing about the prominence of a series besides if they have a future or not. In fact he mentions that they look at series/games that are currently in development. Splatoon is certainly one the games currently in development, meaning that it's entirely possible that it was looked at.
Again, you can take Sakurai's words, or you can take Sakurai's actions. What he says provides a nice guideline, but what he does is what should be used for proof. I feel that people mostly default to the words when there are no actions to back up claims being made, which is the case here. Ofc it's not outside the realm of possibility for Splatoon to be the exception, but while Sakurai says nothing about the prominence of a series, it's clear from all four rosters that have now been made that, excluding some retro characters, all the series taken are among Nintendo's biggest or highest impacting. This doesn't apply to Splatoon, not yet at least.

It seems more like people take Sakurai words for what they want them to mean, ofc Sakurai looks at games being developed in the future, but so far that's all been for content from existing series, or minor content, like trophies or ATs for unreleased series.

And yeah, Splatoon might break the mold, but acting like there's a good chance it will is putting a lot of hope in something that's never happened before, which seems pretty questionable.

Splatoon is also a game that has had a strange amount of hype behind it based on the fact that it's a brand new IP, something that Nintendo has been trying to squeeze out. While Wonderful 101 was a brand new IP (and was unfortunately ignored by a large amount of people, which is a shame), it wasn't given much of a push besides a Nintendo Direct. If you take Splatoon, which is a game that has some hype going for it, and put it into Smash around the time of release (or announce DLC for the character) the hype gets even more real. If an Inkling is in Smash, people will essentially flock to playing as them. That's how Smash fans are. People like Inklings, get interested in Splatoon, and then Nintendo makes money.
I agree that it makes sense and would be a good tool for promotion, and I even said that Nintendo forcing cross-promotion would be the one situation I could see Inkling being DLC, but just because it makes sense doesn't mean there's a good chance it'll happen. Smash has never been a promotional tool for fledgling, unproven series (past minor amounts of content), which doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but doesn't mean it's particularly likely to change either.

Sakurai goes on to say that they look at what the characters can do and determine if they are different enough. Splatoon itself is an original concept, and Inklings share hardly anything in common with the rest of the roster. Besides this, it just makes so much sense to add them that it hurts.
Again I agree, but again that can also be said about a multitude of potential characters.

I'm sure you don't know this, but :roymelee: was actually a promotional character who appeared in Melee before his own game, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.

They're definitely not afraid of using Smash to promote future games, so there's no reason to not advertise Splatoon this way unless they decide that other characters would be preferable.
I'm not sure if you know this, but Roy wasn't chosen by Nintendo or IS, he was chosen by Sakurai, partly because he felt he represented FE well, but mostly because he made for an easy clone of an existing character. Otherwise... it would've been just Marth or Marth and another clone of Marth. That's really not the same thing as choosing a character who would presumably be original for a series that hasn't released yet, which has never happened in Smash before.

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I think the reason Splatoon is getting so much backing from Nintendo compared to something like TW101 is because not only is it a new Nintendo IP, but unlike a lot of other New IP's, Splatoon isn't being made by an outside company but instead is being made in house by Nintendo EAD Kyoto (the same team who make the Animal Crossing games). Reggie talked about at E3 how they wanted Splatoon to be seen as a Nintendo shooter the same way Mario Kart is seen to racers. So I do agree that they have a good chance getting in as a Smash character.

I agree that it makes sense and would be a good tool for promotion, and I even said that Nintendo forcing cross-promotion would be the one situation I could see Inkling being DLC, but just because it makes sense doesn't mean there's a good chance it'll happen. Smash has never been a promotional tool for fledgling, unproven series (past minor amounts of content), which doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but doesn't mean it's particularly likely to change either.
But this is the first time Smash has had DLC and they can add new characters close to the release of their games so I don't think we can really say that this would follow conventional Smash character patterns. (Plus if Sakurai has proven anything over the past year is that he doesn't follow any patterns).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But this is the first time Smash has had DLC and they can add new characters close to the release of their games so I don't think we can really say that this would follow conventional Smash character patterns. (Plus if Sakurai has proven anything over the past year is that he doesn't follow any patterns).
Or that the few consistencies that do remain are, if not unlikely to change, then unlikely to change just because Nintendo is releasing a new IP.

I mean it could happen, but just because it could happen isn't a very good reason to believe there's a good chance of it actually happening. We've no proof that DLC characters don't have to meet the requirements other characters have had to, one of which is, unless you're a retro, coming from a fairly important/impacting/successful/etc. series.

People keep mentioning all of Sakurai's requirements for character inclusion saying Inkling fits them (which she does - but so do many), saying that all of those still apply to DLC characters, yet the precedent of series not getting representation until they've proven themselves at least a little somehow no longer applies because it's DLC. It's like picking and choosing what's now relevant and what's not. If Sakurai/Nintendo don't include brand new series for promotional reasons in the main roster (and never have) why are they so likely to do it with DLC?

EDIT: And I don't mean to be raining on Inkling's parade, I do think they'd be a cool character who could work well, and if they are well-received and especially if they get another title I can definitely see them as top contenders for next Smash, but this time around I just don't see much of a reason to think they're likely to be DLC.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Especially when Sakurai said the prominence of the Miis came into mind when they were deciding the Miis, you can find the statement at the Digital Event easily. There's more factors in newcomer inclusion than Sakurai tells you in that one article. :U
(My point here is mainly focused on more things regarding Sakurai's newcomer choices.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
probably not my job to butt in but i do expect some type of Splatoon DLC.I see a stage and some music.I don't know about a character.I think that would be a lot pushing for a game we know little about.Not to say i'm against the idea of having the splatoon boy/girl or even inkling as playable.Just i feel they would be out place seeing are there just so recent.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Just i feel they would be out place seeing are there just so recent.
Because that totally stopped :roypm: from being in Melee

Recency means absolutely nothing. Greninja debuted in 2013, Robin and Lucina debuted in 2012, Dark Pit in 2011, etc.

Reila

True, that does mean Inkling will be a DLC.

That said, if people can hope for certain cut veterans to come back, I don't see what is wrong with hoping for Inkling to be a DLC character for Smash. :smash:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
If I like Splatoon, I'll support this character.
If I don't like Splatoon, I'll support this character.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I see Splatoon being treated like Pikmin (And animal crossing in non-Japan regions) were in Melee with getting a few references thrown in like trophies, but nothing major. Roy and the Inklings are on totally different grounds since ROY/the FE reps are like Pokemon- They have a rotating cast, they are second party IP's so the choice isn't 100% Sakurai's, and they are established series with the knowledge the next game will feature new characters. The main thing is that FE and Pokemon are very successful (FE in Japan at least) and established series where new characters come in a constant stream. Splatoon is an entirely new franchise- give it some time to grow and I am sure Inklings will be among one of the first newcomers for the next Smash.

Either way, I am not complaining. They seem almost 100% likely to make it in sooner or later depending if they keep their popularity up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The current title of this thread is very misleading... it almost implies that Inkling DLC is confirmed.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I see Splatoon being treated like Pikmin (And animal crossing in non-Japan regions) were in Melee with getting a few references thrown in like trophies, but nothing major. Roy and the Inklings are on totally different grounds since ROY/the FE reps are like Pokemon- They have a rotating cast, they are second party IP's so the choice isn't 100% Sakurai's, and they are established series with the knowledge the next game will feature new characters. The main thing is that FE and Pokemon are very successful (FE in Japan at least) and established series where new characters come in a constant stream. Splatoon is an entirely new franchise- give it some time to grow and I am sure Inklings will be among one of the first newcomers for the next Smash.

Either way, I am not complaining. They seem almost 100% likely to make it in sooner or later depending if they keep their popularity up.
Wait they are second party, I need a source. :U

Looks like they are being made by Nintendo EAD Group No. 2.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Or Sakurai can confirm the Inklings as DLC and then we wouldn't have to change the title :3
Even still, I can see why some may be confused in thinking that Inkling as DLC is confirmed. Not a lot a few.

Reila

The title is a bit misleading, so I support the change.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I've changed it. I'm sure you guys know what I meant was that DLC for Smash was confirmed, not necessarily that Inklings specifically were Smash DLC.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Inklings are the playable characters in Nintendo's newly announced third person ink shooter Splatoon. They're half human, half squid people with great mobility and a variety of ink laying weapons. Not much more is known at this time as the game is not yet out!

Let's not pretend this is realistic, but this is the thread to discuss and support the inclusion of Inklings from Splatoon in SSB4.

Why support Inkling?
Nintendo are clearly promoting this game, and it's not as if we haven't had characters from unreleased games before in Smash. If Inkling made it into Smash it would become and even bigger hit and become a major new franchise for Nintendo. Moreover they would represent a very popular, and currently unrepresented, genre of video-gaming!

What can they do?
Well, that's a good question... We don't know everything just yet but we are aware that they can shoot ink out of guns, turn into a squid, throw grenades and use a bazooka like super weapon. Their fat movement, stealth and small size as a Squid would make them very nimble ranged fighters, able to weave out the way and shoot the enemy. Their Ink is also harmful to members of the oposite team, slowing them down when they walk through it; this could be represented in smash by leaving ink behind on a stage which is stick and slows anyone walking in it to walking speed... though obviously it will have to wash off on it's own.

What are the chances of Inklings getting in?
In the initial release? practically none, but they'd be cool if they did, so feel free to support, but don't get your hopes up! In DLC, not terrible, if the game goes over well, and by the looks of it it will, they could become popular a Nintendo franchise, and warrant a moveset... which'd be awesome!

HeavyLobster
The Driller Juggernaut
Saberwuf238
legendofrob1
L. Lawliet
Fogbadge
Sobreviviente
Zzuxon
BluePikmin11
Altais
Wanderer from Roseyard
Cheezey Bites
RyanCE
sunshinesan
N0ble1
Pacack
Inawordyes
Brickbuild101
Kamiko
egaddmario
Headcrab Jackalope
EchoesOfRain
Raeteh
The Cero Kelvin
Reila
Oracle_Summon
GM_3826
Davidreamcatcha
greenluigiman2
KenithTheGatherer
Really Shy Guy
WonderSmash
Mamp
Yoshi-Thomas
TCT~Phantom
Smashiny
R.O.B
Dezeray112
9Volt
andimidna
Mega Hawlucha
Yuchi
WingedSnagret
Weeginji
Maraphy
Nintendotard
TORNADO BUS DRIVER
Spazzy_D
BeatNninja
Armlesspuppeteer09
Mamp
Chauzu
Princess Toady
Homelessvagrant
Rosalina
Crap-Zapper
woopyfrood
Flaxr XIII
Banjo-Kazooie
Moon Monkey
Jave
YoshiadnToad
Chromvoy
Kevandre
RadRedi
dimensionsword64
The Salamander Within
Itty Bit
Put me in on dat support yo. I've wanted to see an Inkling since initially seeing Splatoon during E3.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wait they are second party, I need a source. :U

Looks like they are being made by Nintendo EAD Group No. 2.
Pokemon and Fire Emblem are owned by second party devs GameFreak & Intelligent Systems, respectively.
Unless you meant Splatoon, which in that case it is a first party IP. I think you misunderstood what I said.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Second Party companies don't really exist.

Second Party properties refer to stuff developed by third party companies but owned by first party companies. So Fire Emblem is actually a first party property because IS is a full Nintendo subsidiary.

Pokemon is the most prominent 2nd party property for Nintendo, as they own most of the rights to it, but the independent studio Game Freak develops it (and according to Sakurai, he faces quite a bit of conflict when it comes to choosing Pokemon because the other rights-holders will try to exert influence).

Last edited:

Reila

I don't see how the first/second party discussion is relevant to Inkling's chances of being DLC. Inkling is first party, property of Nintendo. That is about it.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Idk, there are many valid points from boths sides here, but here's the way I see things.

Unlike Dillon, Wonderful 101 and such, Splatoon has that certain aura about it that says Nintendo really wants to get it up there among the big boys of their fold. It's still too early to tell, but I foresee Nintendo really pushing this IP once release day draws near. They've already attempted new IPs on the struggling Wii U with less then satisfactory results, so I imagine Splatoon will get extra care to ensure things go better for it, especially given the fact that the franchise is an in-house deal.

Sure there's general marketing, but Smash takes things on a whole different level. Yes Roy's shtick was different with an established franchise and all, but I feel that, if Nintendo's very serious about giving Splatoon the very best possible start, they'll go to the very best place to spread the word. The place where all of Nintendo's greats gather.

Top Bottom