• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Ok, so when the the trailer was first starting, the hype actually died a bit. Sure, it was more gameplay, but I think it was the main music being reused.

It made it seemed more generic watching it...But then the twist comes!

My god that single player mode was beautiful, all the doubt I had for buying this game is now gone. I NEED this game now. That was a beautiful trailer. The enemies are creative, the music they used was fantastic and makes me want to listen to more, the level design was beautiful.

Speaking of which, did anyone else get a Mario Sunshine vibe from the levels?
Now that you mention it, I am getting a serious Super Mario Sunshine vibe off the levels. Which isn't a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, far from it, actually. It's incredibly fitting for a game like Splatoon, and I'm loving the "ruined world" level theme. It's almost like it's your job to go around a brighten it up. Also, anyone else notice the murky, almost inky, sky? It's a nice touch.
And I agree, the enemies are extremely original. I'm looking forward to that turret, as well as that zip line of ink. I'm also curious to as to that Ink Shield at the beginning and the fact that certain Inklings start with Super Weapons.
I like the enemy design, especially the kamikaze robots and that strangely creepy robot with one glinting eye and tentacles in its head.
The Single Player mode blew what I expected out of the water and into orbit. It's extremely fun looking, and could be the game's main focus, if it were that type of game. Very polished, and extremely a awesome looking. When you take into consideration online multiplayer, a very fun, apparently "sniper oriented," local multiplayer, and multiple game modes, and you've got easily the best shooter of 2015. The great part is that it's silly, and it doesn't take itself seriously. It fun and kid friendly. I foresee high sales, and will pick this up on day freakin' one. My hype is at full throttle right now:colorful:!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I supported (although I never posted here) already because the Inklings looks cool.

Now I support because the game will be awesome. That solo campaign!

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
That trailer got me so hyped. Splatoon is setting up to be my GOTY next year.

I support plenty of characters for Smash DLC, but it's time to change my avatar to the character I support the most.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would like to see Inkling in Smash. But at this point it's Olimar in Melee... Slightly too soon. A definite (if the game does well) for Ssb5 but it's probably not gonna happen this time

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
DLC wasn't a thing back when Melee was released. Also, Olimar was nowhere near as popular as Inkling. Plus, lets not forget Roy.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
A DLC is a serious possibility. Excluding veterans, it's one of the most plausible characters to me, considering that Nintendo is really betting on it.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I would like to see Inkling in Smash. But at this point it's Olimar in Melee... Slightly too soon. A definite (if the game does well) for Ssb5 but it's probably not gonna happen this time
Roy was in Melee before his game was even released.
Greninja was decided to be in Smash 4 before XY was even revealed.
"Too new" is no longer a valid argument. It's been ignored far too many times to be a viable argument.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
DLC wasn't a thing back when Melee was released. Also, Olimar was nowhere near as popular as Inkling. Plus, lets not forget Roy.
I know DLC wasn't a thing but that's not my point.

Roy is still part of a series that is classic and established though, Not the same cat

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
We also must not forget that Yoshi's wooly world is also a stage in this game. Not only that, we didn't even get any new footage of it, so it will probably come out even later then splatoon. Meaning Splatoon is sooner then Wooly world.

Reila

I know DLC wasn't a thing but that's not my point.

Roy is still part of a series that is classic and established though, Not the same cat
A series which wasn't a classic back when Melee was released. In fact, it was a Japan-exclusive series back in the day.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
My point isn't necessarily for Inkling, more for Splatoon.

Wooly World is a Yoshi game, Roy is a Fire Emblem character and Greninja is a Pokemon. All are proven and established franchises already. Splatoon may be a flavor of the week and that's it, it'd make more sense to be ssb5.

Reila

Listen, we all know we shouldn't assume Inkling is going to be a DLC character and that it is perhaps more unlikely than likely

It is just that the "it is too soon" argument isn't valid at all

Also... Roy didn't even exist in Fire Emblem when he was added to Smash. So he wasn't even an established character.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Listen, we all know we shouldn't assume Inkling is going to be a DLC character and that it is perhaps more unlikely than likely

It is just that the "it is too soon" argument isn't valid at all

Also... Roy didn't even exist in Fire Emblem when he was added to Smash. So he wasn't even an established character.
This is asinine. The Too Soon argument does exist with franchises completely.

And even with Roy... He was a clone. They take much less development time and so they threw him in because why not

Inkling would have to be original or it'd be a waste

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Splatoon is really young, but it seems already fairly popular, while Marth in Melee was a "Who?" character for most americans and europeans.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Splatoon is really young, but it seems already fairly popular, while Marth in Melee was a "Who?" character for most americans and europeans.
This may be true but the game is made by the Japanese... No sense omitting a character just because other countries wouldn't recognize him

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
This may be true but the game is made by the Japanese... No sense omitting a character just because other countries wouldn't recognize him
If I recall well, Marth and Roy were planned as japan exclusive characters, but some guys at NoA found them cool, so they were in the western versions as well.

By the way, I'm sure that Fire Emblem is in Melee because of it's japanese popularity. There's always been a japanese point of view on Smash on various things (which is really logical, considering Sakurai IS japanese :awesome:)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
:joyful:Who cares!? That trailer was so hype! Who cares about "too soon"? You know what's too soon? Ebola jokes. And I just made one :crazy:
*slap*
Ehem, yes I suppose it's too soon to tell how Splatoon will do as a franchise but first (and second) impressions are extremely promising. I hope Nintendo really pushes this game. At the very least I want a Splatoon stage when the game releases perhaps with some Amiibo action or for registering the game or something. Or if it's a hidden stage ala Wooly World that'll be cool too. (Not saying that Wooly World is hidden, just that it's new.)

BRB, gonna watch that trailer like 6 more times.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Inkling would be an INCREDIBLE, unique character in Smash, representing a brand new IP. The problem is, Smash shows absolutely no history of shoehorning in representatives from franchises that have yet to become an established piece of Nintendo history. Fire Emblem was already established when Roy was put into Melee.

Not to mention, a lot of people would complain over the fact that it'd be an obvious marketing ploy.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Splatoon looks really cool and I support their possible Smash inclusion.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Evil octopus loli character looks interesting too.

Could be an alt, since I'm guessing they could act as "the bad guys" in multiplayer. Either way, trailer really solidified my hopes for the game! And there were more HATS!! Get hyped for hats!!

Oh and, they added new artwork for the Inkling first shown in the Solo-Campaign mode. Could this be the new main Inkling?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Could be an alt, since I'm guessing they could act as "the bad guys" in multiplayer. Either way, trailer really solidified my hopes for the game! And there were more HATS!! Get hyped for hats!!

Oh and, they added new artwork for the Inkling first shown in the Solo-Campaign mode. Could this be the new main Inkling?
Hmm...Who's design would they choose for Smash?

The more casual Multiplayer design, (also seeming to be more used with orange)?
Or the more scientific and and action oriented Single player design?

I think they would go with the multiplayer design myself as the multiplayer is still probably the main focus of the game and so that design would be more recognizable.

On the other hand, I could see Sakurai seeing the single player version as the "main" Inkling and probably could consider her more.

I'm personally favoring the mulitplayer design at the moment, but I need to see more of the single player design.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I've been supporting these guys since E3, they would be great DLC additions.

Splatoon is up there as one of the games I'm looking forward to most next year, along with Majora's Mask 3D.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Anyone else noticed the Bloopers and the Octoroks in the Splatoon trailer?

Last edited:

Reila

Must... resist... changing avatar...

Gosh, my hype for Splatoon and Majora's Mask 3D is so high

Staarih

Smash Master
I just re-watched the new Splatoon trailer and I'm so hype about the game! I'm pleased with what we see of the single player mode and glad that I won't have to rely on multiplayer to play the game. I really hope the game is successful, the world, characters and music just go together so greatly and are very unique, I'd hate it to flop and end something which looks so promising.

Reila

Not to mention, a lot of people would complain over the fact that it'd be an obvious marketing ploy.
I would argue that is one of the main reasons Shulk is in Smash 4, to promote Xenoblade Chronicles X and the Xenoblade Chronicles port for the N3DS. If Xenoblade stayed as a stand alone game, I have my doubts Shulk would be playable in Smash. Besides, the fact Nintendo links the sites of the characters respective games in their pages in the official site, clearly shows Nintendo uses Smash to market its games (and I don't see what is wrong with that, to be honest).

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
This is the guy I was talking about. He looks awesome! The glinting goggles and the tentacles on his head just add to the creepiness. Very original! I must say, though, the Kamikaze enemies are gonna have to take a backseat to this guy. He's awesome.
I'm not sure if its just me, but, seeing as the levels have Sunshine vibe, is anyone getting a Megaleg or a Snifit vibe from the Kamikaze enemies? Their face just seems so familiar.
I'm actually glad this game is taking so much from the Mario series, particularly the 3D ones. They seem to have taken the best parts of it, and then blended it with a new style. It's perfect. Makes sense when you think about, considering how Splatoon was almost a Mario game.
I would argue that is one of the main reasons Shulk is in Smash 4, to promote Xenoblade Chronicles X and the Xenoblade Chronicles port for the N3DS. If Xenoblade stayed as a stand alone game, I have my doubts Shulk would be playable in Smash. Besides, the fact Nintendo links the sites of the characters respective games in their pages in the official site, clearly shows Nintendo uses Smash to market its games (and I don't see what is wrong with that, to be honest).
I have no problem with Nintendo marketing their series with Smash as long as they do it in moderation. Prime example: Mega Evolutions. I feel as though Mega Evolutions were added not only because they represent power, but to market them as Pokémon's new gimmick. There's nothing wrong with that, but now every Pokémon with a Mega Evolution uses it as a Final Smash. It's a little stale and boring, and its my worst fear for Mewtwo now. I'd rather see him use Psystrike.

Reila

I think the octopus character in the .gif is a girl.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I think the octopus character in the .gif is a girl.
Well, technically speaking, since it appears to be mainly robotic with minimal organic parts, it can be assumed to lack sex organs. Therefore, it would be sexless, and therefore an "it." This makes it androgynous. However, because it is grammatically correct to refer to an androgyne as "it," "he," or "she," we are all correct, regardless of what gender-specific pronoun we use.

Last edited:

Reila

Well, technically speaking, since it appears to be mainly robotic with minimal organic parts, it can be assumed to lack sex organs. Therefore, it would sexless, and therefore is an "it." This makes it androgynous, and therefore an "it" as well. However, it is grammatically correct to refer to an androgyne as "it," "he," or "she," we are all correct, regardless of what gender-specific pronoun we use. So, we are both correct.
You say that but yet you call Mewtwo "he", when it is canonically a genderless creature. :4dedede:

But seriously, the design is quite feminine, so it is natural that a lot of people will call the octopus by feminine pronouns. It is what happens to other genderless (or with unconfirmed genders) characters like Fi (Zelda), Jigglypuff or even Greninja. I am fine with the octopus being male, female or genderless, it doesn't matter for me. Gender is such a pointless thing anyways

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm getting a strong impression that the Inklings will be playable in Smash Bros at some point. It's just a question of when.

It is important to note Xenoblade Chronicles was just one game. Even if there was a second game in development. If dlc characters are still being added in 2016/2017 I could definitely see the Inklings becoming playable.

Nintendo ended the direct with Splatoon. I think that speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Reila

Yes, but a lot of people would disagree with that (Xenoblade is not only a niche game, but it also isn't universally loved like some believe). Baten Kaitos, Eternal Darkness, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, The Last Story, etc. Great games with merit to get playable characters. Where are they? Nowhere to be seen. Why? Because there is no future for those games/franchises. It is clear as a crystal that Shulk isn't in Smash solely because "merits".

It is also clear that Nintendo wants Splatoon to be a big hit.

Top Bottom