• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Second Party companies don't really exist.

Second Party properties refer to stuff developed by third party companies but owned by first party companies. So Fire Emblem is actually a first party property because IS is a full Nintendo subsidiary.

Pokemon is the most prominent 2nd party property for Nintendo, as they own most of the rights to it, but the independent studio Game Freak develops it (and according to Sakurai, he faces quite a bit of conflict when it comes to choosing Pokemon because the other rights-holders will try to exert influence).
Actually some studios are owned only partly by Nintendo and so are their IPs- so they might own 49-50% shares in a company(Like gamefreak for example.)
If you care to read about the differences here's a link for you. It's simply just a category for a dev studio to describe them in relationship as a subsidiary to a larger company.
I don't see how the first/second party discussion is relevant to Inkling's chances of being DLC. Inkling is first party, property of Nintendo. That is about it.
We were discussing how Roy/Pokemon being added before their debuts are not comparable to Splatoon. Everyone knows Splatoon is first party.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
We were discussing how Roy/Pokemon being added before their debuts are not comparable to Splatoon. Everyone knows Splatoon is first party.
Sure, sure : ) Just please don't bite me.

Anyways, who do you people think are Inkling biggest "adversaries"? Which character could possibly get in as playable instead of her?

Comorant

Smash Cadet

Anyways, who do you people think are Inkling biggest "adversaries"? Which character could possibly get in as playable instead of her?
I wouldn't say her "adversaries" are so much characters as they are the challenges of developing a playable character based on a new IP that has yet to actually release a game. You never know if the game will end up changing significantly during development to the point where the Smash Bros character only barely represents the original character, or the game could end up getting scrapped, or if the game itself ends up being a failure.

To put it best, it'd be a bit of a risk because you'd have to be really closely working with the development team and in a phase where massive changes are unlikely.

With that all said, if things all go as planned, I could easily see Sakurai adding in Inklings. They're unique characters coming from a pretty unique new IP that would benefit from the advertisement and have plenty to work with for a moveset. Honesty if the game came out a couple of years ago I'm sure they'd be part of the initial roster easily, because they follow Sakurai's criteria on what justifies being added to Smash in flying colors.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Eh, I prefer nibbling.

I don't think there really is a major mark against Splatoon besides it's release status (And if it flops.) An inkling is almost a given for the next installment of Smash especially if it does well and if it even gets a sequel/expansion pack on the same console. They really are trying to push Splatoon so I am sure it won't disappear from relevancy within the next decade. There are actually several gun users who could possibly make it on the roster next time around.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Inkling has a very strong chance, especially looking at how hard Nintendo pushed it at E3, the problem is how well it turns out by the public. And if DLC is already being planned for currently usable characters and not future games.

Smash 5 is an almost guaranteed though, if the DLC doesn't happen.

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
inkling have a good chance,but i see inkling in SSB5 no in DLC form honestly.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm hesitant to adopt a term like "adversay", even colloquially speaking, because I don't see DLC as a fight for supremacy between equally valid charaters.

That being said, I can't think of any characters that are comparable to Inkling with regards to their current status and potential abilities. I'm confident that, if they don't make it as DLC this time around, we will see them in some form in the future.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Gotta say, I think it's fairly impressive to see Inklings in the Top 10 of the poll I've been running. The only newcomers they're lagging behind are K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie, Impa and Bandanna Dee, all of whom have established fanbases. Whether it's only because of Splatoon hype or not remains to be seen. But, it's interesting nonetheless.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Gotta say, I think it's fairly impressive to see Inklings in the Top 10 of the poll I've been running. The only newcomers they're lagging behind are K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie, Impa and Bandanna Dee, all of whom have established fanbases. Whether it's only because of Splatoon hype or not remains to be seen. But, it's interesting nonetheless.
"What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise."

I'm awaiting the inevitable deluge of Lovecraft-themed Splatoon fanart immediately after the game's release~

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but count me in as an Inkling-supporter! I've grown to really like the idea day after day. I'd assume Nintendo wants to push Splatoon and make it a hit and a must-have game for the Wii U (and by the looks of it, it does look like quite a fun game!), so a little (or big) promotion wouldn't hurt, and having Inkling in Smash would be that at its best. Even the small gameplay clips of Splatoon give a lot to work with when it comes to the moveset for Inkling, so that's there too. It might just be Splatoon-hype at the moment, but if the game is successful and becomes popular, I can totally see a bigger movement happening to get Inkling in Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's because Inklings are the stars of the first core Nintendo EAD franchise since Pikmin.

Reila

I think the fact they are cute the stars of Nintendo's first actual game in the shooter genre helps a lot, too. People are asking for a Nintendo Shooter for ages.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think the fact they are cute the stars of Nintendo's first actual game in the shooter genre helps a lot, too. People are asking for a Nintendo Shooter for ages.
You mean people have forgotten about Metroid Prime, Star Fox Assault, and Kid Icarus Uprising just now?

If you would have said Nintendo EAD shooter, you'd be right.

Reila

You mean people have forgotten about Metroid Prime, Star Fox Assault, and Kid Icarus Uprising just now?

If you would have said Nintendo EAD shooter, you'd be right.
Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure.

Star Fox and Kid Icarus Uprising are on-rail shooters (like Panzer Dragoon) and you know well that I wasn't referring to this kind of shooter ;)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure.

Star Fox and Kid Icarus Uprising are on-rail shooters (like Panzer Dragoon) and you know well that I wasn't referring to this kind of shooter ;)
Assault is mostly an on-foot TPS, and Uprising is also half on-foot TPS.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Seeing as their is a Wolly World stage (A stage from a game that was announced E3 2014), and DLC is confirmed, I think Inklings have a pretty good chance.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I think people are giving credence to a lot of factors which don't actually matter in hopes that it will help Inkling's chances. Them having a fair bit of popularity is good, sure, but enough popularity to break precedent? I doubt it.

I'd say the only thing that would get them in Smash 4 is Nintendo going all-out with cross-promotion, which doesn't seem overly likely to me.

I do think their future looks bright, though it does hinge on how much of an impact Splatoon makes.

I would like to see them in Smash some day.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Anyway I hope we get more Splatoon info in tomorrows direct, a release date would be nice, but I'm not expecting one.
I think a new Splatoon trailer is a safe bet. Release date... maybe Q1 or Q2 for 2015, but a hard date reveal seems too soon.

You know what would be a great surprise? An Inkling Amiibo. I would be all over that.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Inklings are cool.

I'd like to see the franchise in Smash, even if it's just for advertising purposes. Lots of fun moveset potential to be played around with.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I love how they're using the ink traversal mechanic to add a lot of awesome platforming elements to the game. This really is shaping up to be one of the most unique shooters I've ever seen.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think the Inklings will end up getting an Amiibo because all playable Smash characters will get one.
Although I don't know if I want Nintendo to make one, I don't really have the extra money but I would still end up buying one.
With how much they're pushing Amiibo I'd be shocked if they didn't make one for Splatoon itself. Forget Smash Bros.

That trailer got me hyped for Splatoon all over again. I liked the new music.

Reila

Trailer for those who haven't seen it yet:

Splatoon will be GOTY 2015. Dat single player mode looks fun as heck. The soundtrack is SO good omg

Quillion

Smash Hero
If they can, an Inkling DLC should come with those enemies for Smash Run.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Trailer for those who haven't seen it yet:

Splatoon will be GOTY 2015. Dat single player mode looks fun as heck. The soundtrack is SO good omg
Where does Nintendo get the drugs necessary to come up with this stuff? This game looks like a trip to the aquarium on acid.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
First, let me say: I SUPPORT!
Secondly, let me say that I've loved the idea of Splatoon ever since it was revealed. The new trailer is awesome looking. That Single Player mode looks epic, and the Greaslings (That's my new nickname for the Octopuses) are really cute, even if they are goths. I especially loved that Roller Coaster level! This is definitely a day one buy for me.
Where does Nintendo get the drugs necessary to come up with this stuff? This game looks like a trip to the aquarium on acid.
I love this stuff! The nice thing about Nintendo is that they don't take themselves too seriously. It's a boatload of fun! Whatever it is, keep taking it!

Last edited:

Reila

But seriously if Inkling gets in as a DLC character I am never touching any other character again

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think it's because it's a new IP that Nintendo is taking seriously. Plus it does look like a fun game.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ok, so when the the trailer was first starting, the hype actually died a bit. Sure, it was more gameplay, but I think it was the main music being reused.

It made it seemed more generic watching it...But then the twist comes!

My god that single player mode was beautiful, all the doubt I had for buying this game is now gone. I NEED this game now. That was a beautiful trailer. The enemies are creative, the music they used was fantastic and makes me want to listen to more, the level design was beautiful.

Speaking of which, did anyone else get a Mario Sunshine vibe from the levels?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ok, so when the the trailer was first starting, the hype actually died a bit. Sure, it was more gameplay, but I think it was the main music being reused.

It made it seemed more generic watching it...But then the twist comes!

My god that single player mode was beautiful, all the doubt I had for buying this game is now gone. I NEED this game now. That was a beautiful trailer. The enemies are creative, the music they used was fantastic and makes me want to listen to more, the level design was beautiful.

Speaking of which, did anyone else get a Mario Sunshine vibe from the levels?
Best part is still the song.

The enemies looked silly at first, but once you watch it again, they are actually great. I'm guessing they are going with Squids vs Octopuses. There also seems to be a light hearted "We are the Octopus. Look how great we are. Don't trust the Squids."

Top Bottom