• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So guys, don't we still have the Smash ballot? I'm sure we'll be fine. Right? I mean the Inkling girl has a DLC trophy, doesn't she?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There's no such thing as too many swordsmen.

That said, these characters have no bearing on where DLC was headed post Smash Ballot. They were clearly being worked on in the time between the Ballot's beginning and now to engage the team some and do something cool for fans. Why people prescribe meanings onto these things is beyond me.
This. Just ****int this! When is the fandom finally going to realize that too many swordsman is just an imaginary rule?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Now here is my honest opinion about Splatoon.

I haven't bought the game. When it was first revealed at E3 2014, I was barely paying attention, not feeling the appeal. I tried out the Global Testfire demo and didn't feel it either. I never had the envy to bash on that game just because I didn't "like" it; it wouldn't have made sense. I wasn't even hating it. I could just care less, that's all.

I recently encountered that French Let'splayer who was slowly making his way through the game, alternating between solo mode and online multiplayer modes (since he got a copy of the game like one whole week before the official release, the online wasn't open yet). And I just fell in love with the solo adventure. He compared the levels to a sort of New Super Mario Bros. 3D adaptation that was really freaking unique thanks to the features and gameplay that are Splatoon's own share. I wholeheartedly agreed with him, from what I have seen thanks to him. It helped me figure out that what I wasn't fond of in Splatoon was the multiplayer 4-on-4 "main" mode (what E3 '14 introduced to us as a "main" game mode), however now I am tempted to consider getting the game soon just for the solo courses.

I also think that the universe, characters and the whole concept that revolves around ink and fish was one of the best innovative ideas Nintendo could have ever gotten. Good job. Looking forward to many more interesting IPs from them (not talking about Project Giant Robot and Project Guard though, but that is another topic).

Oh, what's gotten into me? I forgot to mention I fully support the Inkling for Smash 4/5 (either way it's fine with me).

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Holy crap I just achieved the Holy Trinity in Splatoon.
1. Victory
2. Top Score
3. Level up

WITH THE GOD DAMN INK BRUSH
The Ink Brush is legit the best weapon (to me) in the game for scores once you get in a good groove.

Then clearly you only care about Smash's well-being in the next few months as opposed to down the road when remaining viable big name characters become even more of a scarcity.

Your attitudes seem quite short-sighted to me.
But you see, here's the thing. I don't have to consider the future of Smash Bros. since A) Smash will always be made (as long as Nintendo exists and it brings in the money) and B) I'm not a planner, developer or contractor worried about marketing aspects of Smash and their timing. I'm just the consumer. As the consumer, I'm going to let it be known that there is a demand for something that exists now and it's up to them to take or leave it. I don't need to be corralled into thinking one way or bowing out of a discussion when I know I'm not being rude or aggressive but simply saying "hey it'd be really cool if you did this" through the avenue they provided for me. There's no reason for me to be considerate for big ol' multinational conglomerate Nintendo and their development. What's more, this post reeks of a thought process suggesting that Nintendo isn't creative enough to find or cultivate characters people care about enough to see in a future Smash title. The fact that this entire section of Smashboards exists at all is a statement to the contrary however.

TL;DR: Whatever happens, happens when it decides to happen. In the meantime, I'll support who or what I like and people who truly like something should do the same.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It... kinda says something.

When the most reoccuring issue people state with Inklings is "They're TOO GOOD of a candidate and should be held til Smash 5."

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman

When the most reoccuring issue people state with Inklings is "They're TOO GOOD of a candidate and should be held til Smash 5."
That is actually very interesting to think about.

Pre-Release: "They're too new. Their game will probably flop anyway."
Every chracter has its detractors. Ours just dont have the best arguments :p

Although I still think they wont make it but Im a pessemist.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Every chracter has its detractors. Ours just dont have the best arguments :p

Although I still think they wont make it but Im a pessemist.
They're one of the big contenders for the Ballot.

That isn't a sure-win or anything.

But it's a hell of a lot better than some people will state.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
But we should not have to wait another 6 years or so just to play as them in ANOTHER Smash. Besides: What if Splatoon's services are finally over and it doesn't even get a sequel or port to the newer system?

And honestly compared to Geno or Klonoa, This character actually makes sense and Nintendo has a chance to make even more gobs with this honestly.

Burruni

Smash Hero
But we should not have to wait another 6 years or so just to play as them in ANOTHER Smash. Besides: What if Splatoon's services are finally over and it doesn't even get a sequel or port to the newer system?

And honestly compared to Geno or Klonoa, This character actually makes sense and Nintendo has a chance to make even more gobs with this honestly.
1) Please stop throwing out 1st Parties and Ridley. There are PLENTY of other Nintendo candidates of varying chance.

2) Splatoon sold out in Japan. The only series Nintendo has closed is because of the creator being done with the story. Splatoon was done by the people who have made 5 games of :4villager:. It in't going to be one and done.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
The "They should wait until the next Smash Bros. before adding them" argument doesn't work. Sakurai has openly stated that he always develops Smash assuming it's going to be the last entry, so he never saves anything for the next game.

If Sakurai feels the Inkling is worth of being in Smash now, he WILL add the Inkling as DLC.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

You really can't find other games to play during that time. Mate I have a **** ton of games to finish. Nintendo is definitely going to make a sequel to Splatoon. Dude its in the title, Spla2n. Get it. Splatoon 2 too like two nvm. I'll go now.

Stop worrying man, its not healthy. Nintendo will keep making sequels to successful franchises you know, unless they want to go out of business like a certain other company *COUGH COUGH CAPCOM WITH MEGAMAN AND KONAMI WITH SILENT HILLS AND THE BUTT TON OF OTHER FRANCHISES THEY HAVE LIKE CASTLEVANIA*

Burruni

Smash Hero
You really can't find other games to play during that time. Mate I have a **** ton of games to finish. Nintendo is definitely going to make a sequel to Splatoon. Dude its in the title, Spla2n. Get it. Splatoon 2 too like two nvm. I'll go now.

Stop worrying man, its not healthy. Nintendo will keep making sequels to successful franchises you know, unless they want to go out of business like a certain other company *COUGH COUGH CAPCOM WITH MEGAMAN AND KONAMI WITH SILENT HILLS AND THE BUTT TON OF OTHER FRANCHISES THEY HAVE LIKE CASTLEVANIA*
Bomberman.
The most easy to rehash game and still be enjoyable.

And they haven't touched it since like 2010.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I guess I really shouldn't worry since practically I still get Inkling in my roster either way.

But if the costumes don't change the Gunners special effects to ink I'm going to be disapointed.

yeah I want Bomberman in Smash.
Same, Honestly. Too bad Konami doesn't give a **** about him anymore... Honestly I say after killing him off they deserve to be going bust.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Your last reason is exactly why I fear Smash 5 won't happen lol. I've seen plenty of good series just disappear. XD

Anyways, I'm going to start thinking that Inklings deserve to be in Smash now, but they will be a shoe in for the next if they don't make it this time.

Oh also, does Splatoon's trophy have it's own category like Nintendogs and Balloon Fighter?

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Your last reason is exactly why I fear Smash 5 won't happen lol. I've seen plenty of good series just disappear. XD

Anyways, I'm going to start thinking that Inklings deserve to be in Smash now, but they will be a shoe in for the next if they don't make it this time.

Oh also, does Splatoon's trophy have it's own category like Nintendogs and Balloon Fighter?
Here's the difference. Nintendo isn't stupid. Capcom and Konami are.

Are people really saying this because there is a trophy in the game? You know who also had a trophy.

(BTW, that trophy is right from Splatoon which is likely why they added it)
Devils advocate. Inkling trophy was added as DLC. Different situation.

Also the japanese smash ballot straight up says the data will be used for FUTURE installments. There will be more smash.
Here's the difference. Nintendo isn't stupid. Capcom and Konami are.
and yet f zero is dormant. Kid icarus might go dormant too :urg:

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Also the japanese smash ballot straight up says the data will be used for FUTURE installments. There will be more smash.

and yet f zero is dormant. Kid icarus might go dormant too :urg:
F-Zero, yes, is sadly dormant. But they do want to make another one. I wouldn't worry about Kid Icarus just yet. its been 4 years, unlike F-Zero's nearly 10.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
People now:
Inklings won't make it because of the Mii costumes.

People if/when they get revealed:
AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! The costumes didn't deconfirm them!

Pretty much how it is with an "iffy" character that people aren't sure about.

People shouldn't be so quick to assume stuff. They'll eventually get proven wrong in the end. We try to predict what Nintendo and Sakuari would do but we just can't because it ends up being wrong. Most the stuff is speculation not really concrete it's just stuff that the community think is right. Fan stuff shouldn't really be taken all that seriously until confirmation from Nintendo and Sakurai themselves. It's fine for people to have opinions and theories but just don't assume that it's the real reasoning behind certain situations.

Everyone should just calm down and wait for official announcements.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
If the Inklings get in I hope their chant is INK-KAH-LING!

Not SQUID KID, SQUID KID!

Even though I'm not really bothered by the meme as much as other people, I know people would despise the character because of that.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
they're killing me.
They could also pull a Mario Party 10, in that game the Smash versions of Wario and Rosalina were used in Amiibo Party instead of having their own Mario Brand Amibo, or they could have two different versions but allow both to be compatible with Smash.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
They could also pull a Mario Party 10, in that game the Smash versions of Wario and Rosalina were used in Amiibo Party instead of having their own Mario Brand Amibo, or they could have two different versions but allow both to be compatible with Smash.
Yeah but if they do both versions and the Smash one has a cooler pose (most likely) I'll have to buy it.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
After watching the Smash Direct this morning, I'm starting to really doubt Inklings for actual playable characters...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Also the japanese smash ballot straight up says the data will be used for FUTURE installments. There will be more smash
Your splinting hairs here. Why does it matter that the trophy was DLC? Its still just an ingame model.

Keep in mind the ballot characters wont be decided until after October 3rd, so they likely wont even start working on new characters till after then. The trophy is in no way a signal that the character wont be playable, and it was likely done to reference the game and it was easy to do.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
cause of couple of costumes and a trophy?
No, the way the mii costumes were addressed. During the review, they didn't say "Inkling boy and Inkling girl COSTUMES". They just said "Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl", like they did with all of the mii fighter costumes, while also being grouped with new fighters

Mario123311

Smash Ace
No, the way the mii costumes were addressed. During the review, they didn't say "Inkling boy and Inkling girl COSTUMES". They just said "Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl", like they did with all of the mii fighter costumes, while also being grouped with new fighters
*Sighs* Can you please stop saying things like this now? Things like this are what makes me more worried. Plus now, I am willing to bet Nintendo would realise they would make LESS if they didn't include them. ((At least I hope they realize that))

Top Bottom