• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I wouldn't hope for more than Wolf's trailer, like what Lucas got after Mewtwo in the April 1st direct

After all, we have a tradition now.

:4villager::4megaman::4wiifit:

(:4mii::4miif:) :4palutena::4pacman:

:roypm::4miibrawl: :wolf:
Lucas was already revealed, so he doesn't count towards the "E3 Three". Plus, even if he did, we got, not three, not four, but five in the first Smash-focused Direct: Yoshi, Zamus, Sheik, Charizard, and Greninja. So who knows! POSITIVITY!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Lucas was already revealed, so he doesn't count towards the "E3 Three". Plus, even if he did, we got, not three, not four, but five in the first Smash-focused Direct: Yoshi, Zamus, Sheik, Charizard, and Greninja. So who knows! POSITIVITY!
Expect little and be surprised when the good things happen.

Or feel very vindicated when Roy ends up being what you expected and only take in the bliss that people can stop trying to say "Roy may be changed so Young Link could have a moveset based on Majora's Mask."

Edit: We have the SECOND worst cut back on the roster, but I can take a deep breath that we most likely won't see the first now.
And yes, I'd take Pichu over Roy.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
So I'm about to double down on Inkling votes like I am with Takamaru. We already got the Mii Costumes and Trophy. I think it's safe to say that a good nudge will get them playable.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Guys, I'm honestly becomming a bit worried. ((And I can't say I'm too excited about Roy returning... More swordfighter abundance, yaaay... I'm neutral on Ryu though.)) Honestly though, I want more "unique" characters for Smash Bros. That's what makes it stick out from any other fighting game for me besides being easy to pick up and play.

I mean, we have a Plumber with Fire Power, a Yellow ball with shapeshifting powers, a super speedy hedgehog and a puffball who copies his foes powers. If anything: A girl with a water gun that shoots globs of Ink would make me happy enough to get that DLC PLUS the Mii costumes on both of my systems. Please, Nintendo. Make this happen...

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Guys, I'm honestly becomming a bit worried. ((And I can't say I'm too excited about Roy returning... More swordfighter abundance, yaaay... I'm neutral on Ryu though.)) Honestly though, I want more "unique" characters for Smash Bros. That's what makes it stick out from any other fighting game for me besides being easy to pick up and play.

I mean, we have a Plumber with Fire Power, a Yellow ball with shapeshifting powers, a super speedy hedgehog and a puffball who copies his foes powers. If anything: A girl with a water gun that shoots globs of Ink would make me happy enough to get that DLC PLUS the Mii costumes on both of my systems. Please, Nintendo. Make this happen...
Problem with Roy isn't that he is another swordfighter, its that he is Marth 3.0 with new and improved FIRE. I personally think Inkling will be announced as one of the big characters for Smash 5 since there isn't anyone else that's as big as them now.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
There's no such thing as too many swordsmen.

That said, these characters have no bearing on where DLC was headed post Smash Ballot. They were clearly being worked on in the time between the Ballot's beginning and now to engage the team some and do something cool for fans. Why people prescribe meanings onto these things is beyond me.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Problem is, I don't think Smash 5 will even happen considering what Sakurai has talked about. And even if it does: Splatoon will most likely be forgotten and such...

And yes, There are too many swordsmen honestly... ((And now we have 3 Marth's... Honestly I'd rather have the return of Pichu if anything. ...Yes, I went there.))

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Problem is, I don't think Smash 5 will even happen considering what Sakurai has talked about. And even if it does: Splatoon will most likely be forgotten and such...

And yes, There are too many swordsmen honestly... ((And now we have 3 Marth's... Honestly I'd rather have the return of Pichu if anything. ...Yes, I went there.))
Smash 5 will happen, unless Nintendo doesn't want money. Sakurai may not be the leader of development but it'll still happen. Look at Kirby, Sakurai didn't want to make new sequels, didn't stop Nintendo. SWORDUSERS ARENT BAD AS LONG AS THEY ARE UNIQUE which Roy is not.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Splatoon? Forgotten?

Are you kidding me? It's a Nintendo cultural phenomenon that's posting some wild critical acclaim despite being the absolute newest kid on the block. Every five seconds of time I spend browsing the net, I run into someone else talking about playing the game or making fan art or just enamored by the Inklings. The best part is Nintendo knows this.

On the swordsman thing, that's more of an issue of there being too many characters with the same play style which I totally agree with. There is however, no such thing as too many swordsmen unless you can also agree that there are too many brawlers and gunners already.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Me at midnight: hmmm no one's posting, I guess I'll come back tomorrow
Me this morning: Alright let's see-

wtf

I can't ****ing handle all this

awww beat to the punch.
so yeah with a DLC trophy inkling is basically a shoo in for smash 5

roy and ryu ar hype as **** and i cant wait to play them.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
awww beat to the punch.

They can also make Smash 4, and I think the trophy is a bit encouraging honestly. They're getting popped in/acknowledged with work that was already being done without considering any developments from the Smash Ballot. I think they'll actually make it into 4's last half.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
awww beat to the punch.

Please no, I'm not waiting 5 or so more years just to play as someone who deserves to be in now. Them excluding Pac-Man in Brawl was enough to upset me already, and I want more "oddball" characters rather than sword fighters... ((Plus Ryu while I'm neutral... I can already have him fight anyone in MUGEN IMO))

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Please no, I'm not waiting 5 or so more years just to play as someone who deserves to be in now. Them excluding Pac-Man in Brawl was enough to upset me already, and I want more "oddball" characters rather than sword fighters... ((Plus Ryu while I'm neutral... I can already have him fight anyone in MUGEN IMO))
Really not having Pac-Man in Brawl upset you? That's a first. DUDE SWORDFIGHTERS ARE FINE AS LONG AS THEY PLAY DIFFERENTLY which Roy doesn't as I have said above.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Really not having Pac-Man in Brawl upset you? That's a first. DUDE SWORDFIGHTERS ARE FINE AS LONG AS THEY PLAY DIFFERENTLY which Roy doesn't as I have said above.
Yes, it rather did when I found out. ((At least we got Sonic but still...)) And yeah, I know they are fine. I mean: I do like Link and all. But a lot of other RPG characters with swords look either generic to me or whatnot. Plus Roy could have easily just been made into a Marth skin IMO...

I think I need to double down on Inkling votes now. Because if someone like Geno or Ridley get in over her: I'm honestly not going to be happy... (Just saying) ...Don't We have limits how many DLC characters are made?

EDIT: Wonderful engrish... Fixed.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yes, it rather did when I found out. ((At least we got Sonic but still...)) And yeah, I know they are fine. I mean: I do like Link and all. But a lot of other RPG characters with swords look either generic to me or whatnot. Plus Roy could have easily just been made into a Marth skin IMO...

I think I need to double down on Inkling votes now. Because if someone like Geno or Ridley get in over her: I'm honestly not going to be happy... (Just saying) ...Don't have limits do how many DLC characters are made?
We have no known limits.

We have estimates for 2 other pre-ballot choices, one being Wolf most likely.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Next time then.
But I doubt there will be a next time... And if there is it's gonna be another long decade. ((TBH this is probably the only character I really want as DLC at this point. And if she doesn't get in then... well... *Goes to sobbing room* It's gonna be my 2008 experience all over again I guess.))

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Can everyone calm down?.. Two pre-Ballot DLC fighters (one of which is more than likely going to be another clone (considering Lucina those aren't hard to make)) don't spell doomsday for the ballot. In fact, a lot of these fighters seem like they were planned already.

Mewtwo: Melee veteran. Obvious profits. Mewtwo mains would definitely grab em.

Lucas: Brawl veteran. Obvious profits. Many fans were devastated at his seeming deconfirmation. Mother and Lucas fans will definitely pick him up

Roy: Melee veteran. Obvious profits. Roy mains will be glad to see him back.

Ryu: One of the biggest faces in the fighting game industry. DUH profits. (Not only does this one do well for both Capcom, it also brings the possibility for other 3rd party devs to have an additional fighter in if the conditions are right.)

No one should be surprised at this point.. in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we get more pre-ballot DLC confirmations over the next few months leading up to October.

No real limit has been set on DLC fighters. We will all just have to wait until the ballot to see what will be drawn from it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But I doubt there will be a next time... And if there is it's gonna be another long decade. ((TBH this is probably the only character I really want as DLC at this point. And if she doesn't get in then... well... *Goes to sobbing room* It's gonna be my 2008 experience all over again I guess.))
That's like doubting there's going to be another Mario game. No company is just going to stop making a highly highly profitable, triple-A series that spans demographics and acts as a major tool for promotion.

Smash 5 will happen Sakurai or no Sakurai. And yeah, not every character we want will get in this time, welcome to Smash speculation. At least Inklings are pretty much guaranteed for next time.

Why would there not be a Smash 5? That's the real question.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
If we want Inklings in Smash 4 keep campaigning for people to vote for them. We need to make it known that we want the Inklings NOW rather than later.

I personally don't see a Smash 5 happening. Either that, or it'll take a really long time to make another one. And I'd rather not wait that long for a character that is hot and would sell.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They might as well stop making Mario Kart while they're at it too then. :rolleyes:

I think you guys need to look at the long term a little more, Inklings benefit Smash more in the next title than this one.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
That's like doubting there's going to be another Mario game. No company is just going to stop making a highly highly profitable, triple-A series that spans demographics and acts as a major tool for promotion.

Smash 5 will happen Sakurai or no Sakurai. And yeah, not every character we want will get in this time, welcome to Smash speculation. At least Inklings are pretty much guaranteed for next time.

Why would there not be a Smash 5? That's the real question.
Well, It moreso has to do with things I read as well as while I remembered hearing in the article during Sakurai's (original) departure stating "Kirby will continue to strive under Nintendo but for his beloved Smash Bros. is unknown." And even if it does happen I have a feeling it's going to not have any of the stuff that has made Smash 4 a hit. ((Hell, I'm somewhat scared they would drop the 3rd party characters for some reason... Even if that sounds stupid))

If we want Inklings in Smash 4 keep campaigning for people to vote for them. We need to make it known that we want the Inklings NOW rather than later.

I personally don't see a Smash 5 happening. Either that, or it'll take a really long time to make another one. And I'd rather not wait that long for a character that is hot and would sell.
*(Hugs immensely)*

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, It moreso has to do with things I read as well as while I remembered hearing in the article during Sakurai's (original) departure stating "Kirby will continue to strive under Nintendo but for his beloved Smash Bros. is unknown." And even if it does happen I have a feeling it's going to not have any of the stuff that has made Smash 4 a hit. ((Hell, I'm somewhat scared they would drop the 3rd party characters for some reason... Even if that sounds stupid))
Right... and there have been two (or three, depending on how you look at it) Smash games since then...

There's also no reason to randomly drop third parties, they're big draws. They're only expanding the amount of third-party content in Smash... I think your "feeling" may be a bit unfounded here.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

*(Hugs immensely)*
I guarantee Nintendo will make more Smashs. Sakurai doesn't have to be there. Look at Mario. Miyamoto isn't as involved in the newer games as he was before and the series is going nowhere. Unless Nintendo doesn't want money they won't stop making Smash. It isn't Sakurai's decision to keep Smash going because at the end of the day, Nintendo owns the franchise, not Sakurai. Plus the next Smash is going to be out on the next home console Nintendo produces.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Again, Thank you all for helping me out there... I am someone who just, well... Tends to worry a bit too much if you understand.

But with that said, Let's go out and make our voices heard. We might just be pushing them to put her in now.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how this works honestly, but would the Inklings technically have a model that could be rigged due to the trophy?

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
They might as well stop making Mario Kart while they're at it too then. :rolleyes:

I think you guys need to look at the long term a little more, Inklings benefit Smash more in the next title than this one.
Sounds like defeatist attitudes to me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sounds like defeatist attitudes to me.
Then clearly you only care about Smash's well-being in the next few months as opposed to down the road when remaining viable big name characters become even more of a scarcity.

Your attitudes seem quite short-sighted to me.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Then clearly you only care about Smash's well-being in the next few months as opposed to down the road when remaining viable big name characters become even more of a scarcity.

Your attitudes seem quite short-sighted to me.
If you don't mind me asking, who do you think stands as a big name contender, like the Inklings, for Smash 5?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you don't mind me asking, who do you think stands as a big name contender ,like the Inklings, for Smash 5?
Characters that have mass recognition among the average consumer of Smash and not just the more dedicated fanbase such as us.

ie. not characters from niche series or b-tier characters from b-tier franchises.

Characters like Dixie, some of the remaining Mario characters, some third-parties, etc. would be relatively big names.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Characters that have mass recognition among the average consumer of Smash and not just the more dedicated fanbase such as us.

ie. not characters from niche series or b-tier characters from b-tier franchises.

Characters like Dixie, some of the remaining Mario characters, some third-parties, etc. would be relatively big names.
But honestly, Don't we have [if not more than] enough Mario characters? They should add some from different franchises now.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman

But then the ballot character/DLC would have to be from a niche series or b-tier franchise. Wouldn't you want a big name to sell DLC?

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Now in English I guess?
We’ve received some new video in the run up to next weekend’s Splatfest. This track is the hottest thing in Inkopolis right now, and it’s sung by the legendary squid sisters!

Top Bottom