• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Art contest winner:

Edit: A REALLY great Ink brush guide by Etika. (warning: video is very vulgar)

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
I think the Inklings are a shoe-in for DLC. We can look at the success of the game, the promotion by Nintendo, the moveset potential, and the multi-gender avatar that Nintendo likes to utilize (Villager, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Miis).

slambros

Smash Ace
No one is a shoo in. Except maybe Wolf.
I just think that because Splatoon was, I don't know, sold out in Japan and pushing Wii U units up to 10,000 more sold, and with the warm acceptance in America, it would make extremely good financial sense to include an Inkling DLC addition in my opinion.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I just think that because Splatoon was, I don't know, sold out in Japan and pushing Wii U units up to 10,000 more sold, and with the warm acceptance in America, it would make extremely good financial sense to include an Inkling DLC addition in my opinion.
Any DLC makes good financial sense since the people who buy it will buy all of it. (Casuals probably are not even playing Smash anymore) King K. Rool is more popular so technically he would make more sense.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

Looks like Etika made a video giving 5 tips/tricks/facts about the paintbrush... maybe that could help some people? I haven't watched it all yet myself. Just thought I'd drop it in here

Edit:

Alright.. So the brush definitely looks like an interesting weapon. It may not exactly be a perfect weapon for beginners, but to me it seems like a weapon that could really benefit from some of those bonuses.. Maybe some to attack and ink consumption? As those do seem to be it's primary faults. I guess range was a thing too, but I could tell just from looking at it it was going to be more of a close combat type of weapon

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Looks like Etika made a video giving 5 tips/tricks/facts about the paintbrush... maybe that could help some people? I haven't watched it all yet myself. Just thought I'd drop it in here

Edit:

Alright.. So the brush definitely looks like an interesting weapon. It may not exactly be a perfect weapon for beginners, but to me it seems like a weapon that could really benefit from some of those bonuses.. Maybe some to attack and ink consumption? As those do seem to be it's primary faults. I guess range was a thing too, but I could tell just from looking at it it was going to be more of a close combat type of weapon
Only thing that it didn't know about it is that jumping helped its range a slight amount. =/

As someone who uses rollers almost exclusively, this really was a disappointment. I expected it to be definitely weaker than the roller. But I expected it to be less extreme exchange of speed for power. Because I rarely had issues properly chasing down people with a roller nor even killing with its spray.

This... has the niche of being a weapon that can be a decent annoyance and aggro-taker by running interference in someone's base. But beyond that, I don't see much of a usage.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Only thing that it didn't know about it is that jumping helped its range a slight amount. =/

As someone who uses rollers almost exclusively, this really was a disappointment. I expected it to be definitely weaker than the roller. But I expected it to be less extreme exchange of speed for power. Because I rarely had issues properly chasing down people with a roller nor even killing with its spray.

This... has the niche of being a weapon that can be a decent annoyance and aggro-taker by running interference in someone's base. But beyond that, I don't see much of a usage.
Yeah it could definitely serve as a good distraction.. XD

I'd get kinda annoyed too if there was a lunatic running around with a giant paintbrush.. lol

I don't know why but I also have the strangest feeling someone is gonna find some trick that is going to make that weapon crazy annoying.. XD

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised so many people are having trouble with this weapon. I find it to be a lot of fun, and I'm actually enjoying it more than the rollers. Sure I can't squish someone under it, but I can just waltz out of troubling situations without having to worry about getting splattered. XD Plus it can cover soooooo much turf when you swing it.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So... I finally encountered the first...

TEABAG SQUIDBAG

A bad player (a camper with the... Aerospray) who took me offguard. He the proceeded to have an identity crisis without doing anything else. Obviously, he clearly didn't helped his team, and they lost, with 25% only.

But still, it's sad, yet not surprising, to see this.

About the Inkbrush, I personally like it. It's clearly not a killing weapon, but it's the love child of the roller, the aerospray and Sanic. As someone who wasn't fan of the rollers, I personally enjoy the brush a lot.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So... I finally encountered the first...

TEABAG SQUIDBAG

A bad player (a camper with the... Aerospray) who took me offguard. He the proceeded to have an identity crisis without doing anything else. Obviously, he clearly didn't helped his team, and they lost, with 25% only.

But still, it's sad, yet not surprising, to see this.

About the Inkbrush, I personally like it. It's clearly not a killing weapon, but it's the love child of the roller, the aerospray and Sanic. As someone who wasn't fan of the rollers, I personally enjoy the brush a lot.
Why would you ever camp. It does nothing besides maybe securing a small area. Plus killing people doesn't even give you that many points.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Got something to show you guys. I wanted to do some cool work out of Splatoon's Final boss... of course, due to the fact that 1. The game only came out like a few days ago, and 2. I don't want to completely spoil what the boss looks like, I had to think of a way to do it... I think I have made a cool thing of it, that shouldn't spoil what the boss looks like for anyone.

Just in case, I'll hide it behind spoilers! XD

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Got something to show you guys. I wanted to do some cool work out of Splatoon's Final boss... of course, due to the fact that 1. The game only came out like a few days ago, and 2. I don't want to completely spoil what the boss looks like, I had to think of a way to do it... I think I have made a cool thing of it, that shouldn't spoil what the boss looks like for anyone.

Just in case, I'll hide it behind spoilers! XD

YOOKA LAYLEE CONFIRMED FOR SPLATOON!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I wish they would actually do a shout out like that.. lol. (THIS IS WHY WE NEED DANG AMIIBO CROSSOVER SUPPORT >_<)

Anyways.. I made a larger version of that image I posted a few minutes ago, as the other was kinda small... lol. Once again, it will be in spoilers

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Ok sooo... random Theory time..:

Turf wars are secretly held to train the unknowing young inklings in the event of a large scale inkvasion of neighboring hostiles. I mean come on. Who needs a military when like 80% of your population's youth fight each other on a day to day basis? XD

Last edited:

Spyro839

Smash Cadet
It could be (I have it as the forward tilt in my set I posted earlier), but now I'm thinking about how it could work as a custom special (to the roller, of course). It would be faster and more efficient on Ink than the roller, but deal less damage and have a different "tap/mash" attack.
I had it as a custom side special too

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Back from a full day of Splatting, I finally reached level 10 and used Ink Brush the whole day following Etika's guide, it's really fun, more people need to watch that video, because it's amazing distracting the opponent thus letting your teammates break in to start spreading their love, or your teammates could Squid Jump to you and start splatting from the inside.

I think Blaster would be a cool neutral b custom move, it might suck though, cause it would probably have a lot of lag.

Heh.png

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Inkstrikes on the last second kill 20 puppies per minute.
#OnStrikeAgainstLastSecondInkStrikes2015

(Sarah McLachlan's Angel playing in the background)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Ah, the last second inkstrike.
Should it count as a "performed before the timer" action? Or should all Ink stop right after the timer?
Basically, the answer depends on if I have the inkstrike or not.

I admit that I don't really like it. BUT I can use it, and if I don't, others will, so...

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I believe I used to chat here some, but I don't appear to be on the Supporters list, so I figured I'd drop by and say that I fully support the Inklings as playable characters in Smash Bros. I just got Splatoon a few days ago, and I'm absolutely loving it! Spyke is my favorite character.

Just to throw my hat in the ring on the Inkbrush, I definitely enjoy it, and I'm not usually a fan of the Rollers. I think I'll stick to the .52 Gal, but I like using the Inkbrush, too.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Ok sooo... random Theory time..:

Turf wars are secretly held to train the unknowing young inklings in the event of a large scale inkvasion of neighboring hostiles. I mean come on. Who needs a military when like 80% of your population's youth fight each other on a day to day basis? XD
I think the inclusion of turf wars are because teenagers enjoy shooting games, and it's pretty obvious because of all the western culture the game takes in, when you scan in a boy or girl amiibo they sound like the average "hip" and "cool" 14 year old, and hell, it works! More pre-teens I've seen on and off-line are talking about the game, wearing squid hats, and think the game is cool, you know why? They relate to it! They like the theme! They love the genre! It works! Nintendo found a way to sell a game to the current demographic still having that Nintendo charm! And that's amazing! (sorry, I got off-topic, but cool theory)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I think the inclusion of turf wars are because teenagers enjoy shooting games, and it's pretty obvious because of all the western culture the game takes in, when you scan in a boy or girl amiibo they sound like the average "hip" and "cool" 14 year old, and hell, it works! More pre-teens I've seen on and off-line are talking about the game, wearing squid hats, and think the game is cool, you know why? They relate to it! They like the theme! They love the genre! It works! Nintendo found a way to sell a game to the current demographic still having that Nintendo charm! And that's amazing! (sorry, I got off-topic, but cool theory)
Yeah, that is probably the thing behind the irl aspect. Mine sorta referred in game wise mostly. I mean it's a given for the young inklings to think that way (I mean they wouldn't know whats actually going on). I sorta assume the stuff is managed/held by the higher ups.. like Judd, the Squid sisters, Etc. Thats probably just me though.

Especially when you find out who agents 1 and 2 are..

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Yeah, that is probably the thing behind the irl aspect. Mine sorta referred in game wise mostly. I mean it's a given for the young inklings to think that way (I mean they wouldn't know whats actually going on). I sorta assume the stuff is managed/held by the higher ups.. like Judd, the Squid sisters, Etc. Thats probably just me though.

Especially when you find out who agents 1 and 2 are..
Hmm all of them are popular with the Inklings, but we're forgetting who could possibly be the most interesting character.

Just think about it, look at this from the tumblr.
This is Jelonzo, the charismatic clerk that runs the clothing shop. With his uncanny sense for the hottest trends, he’s viewed as a fashion god of sorts by all the young squids in town. He hails from distant waters and has a strange way of speaking that can make it difficult to understand him, but that may be one of the secrets of his success.
and this
You may notice some jellyfish wandering among the Inklings in the plaza. Jellyfish are the second-most common creature in the city, but they can’t speak the Inkling language. “Oh yeah? Then why can Jelonzo speak Inkling?!” you might ask, rather annoyingly. Well, Jelonzo is a special jellyfish from distant waters. No one knows how he learned Inkling, but the way he botches the language is kinda cute!
Jellyfish may be looked down upon by the Inklings, cause they don't speak their language and can't produce ink. Jelonzo used his gift to become popular among the Inklings, and join the higher ups by the creating the level system, the Inklings follow tons of trends so Jelonzo made a system in which you can't have the latest clothes unless you perform better in turf battles, other sea creatures (sea anemones and shrimp, maybe sea urchin) may have come from neighboring countries and found work using the leveling system, or we're over-thinking it.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hmm all of them are popular with the Inklings, but we're forgetting who could possibly be the most interesting character.

and this

Jellyfish may be looked down upon by the Inklings, cause they don't speak their language and can't produce ink. Jelonzo used his gift to become popular among the Inklings, and join the higher ups by the creating the level system, the Inklings follow tons of trends so Jelonzo made a system in which you can't have the latest clothes unless you perform better in turf battles, other sea creatures (sea anemones and shrimp, maybe sea urchin) may have come from neighboring countries and found work using the leveling system, or we're over-thinking it.
Jelonzo speaks Engrish.

Burruni

Smash Hero

and this

Where you went wrong

1) You went to tumblr.

taoxadasa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
taoxadasa
3DS FC
2251-5157-5936
I finally got around to playing Splatoon yesterday.

The Inklings need to be playable in this, seriously.

Top Bottom