• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Where's the dark skinned Villager?
There are no dark skinned villagers in Animal Crossing (you can have a tan, but it disappears after a few days, sadly), but there are dark skinned Inklings in Splatoon. I don't get the comparison. Honestly, if Inklings get into Smash and there isn't at least one dark skinned variation I will be extremely disappointed.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So guys what do you think about this for the ballot:
Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu Inkling, Wolf (name other popular cut veteran here)
Ballot Newcomers: King K. Rool, Isaac, Inkling, and (name popular cut veteran or newcomer here).
I put the Inkling twice because I do think they'll make it in. I'm just not sure if they'll be preballot or actual ballot charcters.

Ask Omni.
Where's the dark skinned Villager?

. . .to counteract my terrible joke a legitimate discussion!

Stages
Inkopolis plaza- has potential as a very basic stage with not too many bells or whistles. Or they could have the squid sisters at intervals perform on stage adding some platforms that doubke as stage lights or something

Octopus valley
either the home base or one of the levels. Plenty to pull from here. A boss stage could also work but the less stage bosses the better imo.

*Urchin inderpass- the first stage ever played by the public.

*Saltspray rig/waleye warehouse- the stages for the testfire. Saltspray just seems more interesting to me with all of the crane stuff.

* i cant think of any offensive hazards here other than inkling attacks. Maybe an inkstrike or seeker or something?

So guys what do you think about this for the ballot:
Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu Inkling, Wolf (name other popular cut veteran here)
Ballot Newcomers: King K. Rool, Isaac, Inkling, and (name popular cut veteran or newcomer here).
I put the Inkling twice because I do think they'll make it in. I'm just not sure if they'll be preballot or actual ballot charcters.
Im pretty sure they arent going to be preballot with the mii costumes existing.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
There are no dark skinned villagers in Animal Crossing (you can have a tan, but it disappears after a few days, sadly), but there are dark skinned Inklings in Splatoon. I don't get the comparison. Honestly, if Inklings get into Smash and there isn't at least one dark skinned variation I will be extremely disappointed.
I will be too at least 1 dark skinned male and female won't hurt maybe I am like this because I'm black.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
To go back a couple pages, I'm a little confused why some said that Inklings didn't need Smashified because of their renders. Wouldn't their renders in Smash 4 be new if they got in? I hope they wouldn't just to a copy and paste with them...

Burruni

Smash Hero
To go back a couple pages, I'm a little confused why some said that Inklings didn't need Smashified because of their renders. Wouldn't their renders in Smash 4 be new if they got in? I hope they wouldn't just to a copy and paste with them...
The art that they have by splatoon already is HD and really fits into the type of artistic design present in Smash Renders. Inklings needed... an HD render that fit Smash's artistic design less than a fair number of other high-request characers to be done by the Smashify artists. That's all people meant. Of course if/when they get in as DLC, the official Smash team would make a new render.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Got the game a few hours ago! Anyone do better than winning by 75.1% to 8.5%? Muahaha~

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I had a though about their move set with the whole ranked unlock thing going on over on Nintendo's social media. The inkling have a limited amount of ink in their tank, which only recharges when they're swimming in their own colour, so what if that was an aspect of their moveset?

One of the problems I've had with making a moveset for the Inklings is that once they've covered the surfaces they'll be practically unstoppable (and possibly too much for the 3DS, but with a slight smash twist of absorbing the ink as you swim through it you could limit the amount of ink the Inkling has on the stage while creating a unique mechanic that has you considering your field control more carefully. The ink would still have to dissipate when they're KO'd to return the game to even, but I think it would be a good way of balancing them both in terms of game-play and technical requirements.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I had a though about their move set with the whole ranked unlock thing going on over on Nintendo's social media. The inkling have a limited amount of ink in their tank, which only recharges when they're swimming in their own colour, so what if that was an aspect of their moveset?

One of the problems I've had with making a moveset for the Inklings is that once they've covered the surfaces they'll be practically unstoppable (and possibly too much for the 3DS, but with a slight smash twist of absorbing the ink as you swim through it you could limit the amount of ink the Inkling has on the stage while creating a unique mechanic that has you considering your field control more carefully. The ink would still have to dissipate when they're KO'd to return the game to even, but I think it would be a good way of balancing them both in terms of game-play and technical requirements.
We've been in debate on HOW to incorporate the aspect of ink.

My stance, because :4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja: don't worry about PP, :4ness::4lucas:about PK Energy, and :4marth::4myfriends::4lucina: about weapon durability, Ink itself wouldn't be a resource (which makes balancing a bit easier) and having one specific special (Side+B, Chargers, in my draft) that lays across ink on the stage and opponents are slower with worse initial jumping while on it while Inklings have the inverse, ESPECIALLY in squid form (their crouch). Ink would disappear when walked over or after ~5 seconds, though.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
We've been in debate on HOW to incorporate the aspect of ink.

My stance, because :4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja: don't worry about PP, :4ness::4lucas:about PK Energy, and :4marth::4myfriends::4lucina: about weapon durability, Ink itself wouldn't be a resource (which makes balancing a bit easier) and having one specific special (Side+B, Chargers, in my draft) that lays across ink on the stage and opponents are slower with worse initial jumping while on it while Inklings have the inverse, ESPECIALLY in squid form (their crouch). Ink would disappear when walked over or after ~5 seconds, though.

But again this leaves the problem of covering the stage with ink and being practically unstoppable. If you get a star KO you'd be able to spray Final Destination before the opponent comes back into play and then the match would be completely one-sided, no? If you don't have any control over the amount of surface which can be covered then they'll completely steamroll after their first successful KO.

Burruni

Smash Hero
But again this leaves the problem of covering the stage with ink and being practically unstoppable. If you get a star KO you'd be able to spray Final Destination before the opponent comes back into play and then the match would be completely one-sided, no? If you don't have any control over the amount of surface which can be covered then they'll completely steamroll after their first successful KO.
The ability to be "unstoppable" is very subjective here and depends on the severity of the speed alteration. Is :4robinm: overpowered by a screen-wide strong projectile that they can get a full charge off of in similar time? No.

Because the ink will disappear if Inkling runs over it, they'd have to play very campy to try to keep such a drastic control of the stage.

Plus, the balance of charge time and length of Charger weapons. I wouldn't have them go more than half of the length of FD. Say you get in the center and cover both directions in full. Congrats, you're not standing in dead center of the stage with the ability to better run away and try to get a counter attack... often being an attempt of another projectile. And thus it really becomes little more of an issue than :4falco:'s speed and lazers.

Any character with a strong projectile moveset can be subject to being toxic by overly campy players. Rolls, aerial approaches, and power shielding are often the best techniques to counter.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The ability to be "unstoppable" is very subjective here and depends on the severity of the speed alteration. Is :4robinm: overpowered by a screen-wide strong projectile that they can get a full charge off of in similar time? No.

Because the ink will disappear if Inkling runs over it, they'd have to play very campy to try to keep such a drastic control of the stage.

Plus, the balance of charge time and length of Charger weapons. I wouldn't have them go more than half of the length of FD. Say you get in the center and cover both directions in full. Congrats, you're not standing in dead center of the stage with the ability to better run away and try to get a counter attack... often being an attempt of another projectile. And thus it really becomes little more of an issue than :4falco:'s speed and lazers.

Any character with a strong projectile moveset can be subject to being toxic by overly campy players. Rolls, aerial approaches, and power shielding are often the best techniques to counter.
Swimming through the in rather negates the projectile issue as you'd be halfway under, and shorter than a ducking Kirby. They try and out camp you and you just swim up to them at speed and attack close up; unless you give them utterly terrible frame-data they'll have a push combo using the ink anyways that will take a low % character forwards which they can repeat with the ink's swim speed buff (the opponent is slowed down in the ink, so it's pretty much inevitable). Then they just take you off-stage, splat you with ink and go back to covering the field while they recover... D3 is the only counter I can think of thanks to his projectile's arc and his multiple jumps... Of course you could balance this, but it would leave you incredibly weak when you don't have ink at your disposal or make the ink pointless to put down anyway (ie. a long transition from swimming to attacking)...

It wouldn't be the first time smash made the primary aspect of a character useless (sing, anyone?) but I don't want the inklings in if they don't bring a usable ink mechanic.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Swimming through the in rather negates the projectile issue as you'd be halfway under, and shorter than a ducking Kirby. They try and out camp you and you just swim up to them at speed and attack close up; unless you give them utterly terrible frame-data they'll have a push combo using the ink anyways that will take a low % character forwards which they can repeat with the ink's swim speed buff (the opponent is slowed down in the ink, so it's pretty much inevitable). Then they just take you off-stage, splat you with ink and go back to covering the field while they recover... D3 is the only counter I can think of thanks to his projectile's arc and his multiple jumps... Of course you could balance this, but it would leave you incredibly weak when you don't have ink at your disposal or make the ink pointless to put down anyway (ie. a long transition from swimming to attacking)...

It wouldn't be the first time smash made the primary aspect of a character useless (sing, anyone?) but I don't want the inklings in if they don't bring a usable ink mechanic.
Like I said, it's a hot topic when it comes to trying to make balances.

I don't doubt the Smash team would find a great way to manage it when they get in Smash, either as 4 DLC or 5 newcomers.

Also :4jigglypuff:'s sing is by far the most accurate move in the entirety of the Pokemon moves in smash. You never see it land!

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
After actually playing Splatoon, which by the way, is a phenomenal game, I want the Inklings in Smash more than ever.

...but K. Rool needs to happen first. x:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Does anyone else like the idea of octoling as an alt costume?

For either game.
Our kind of idea has been 3 Inkling Male outfits, 2 Inkling Female, the Squid Sisters, and Octoling.

Boy: Blue, Purple (with dark skin), Yellow (possibly a more middle complexion)
Girl: Orange, Cyan (middle complexion?)
Marie: Green
Callie: Pink
Octoling: Purple

In a way to still incorporate all 8 Ink colors into the 8 alts.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
Where is the dark skinned inkling damn? Sorry mods double post please take down.

guys guys here is your dark skinned inkling

got it

Spyro839

Smash Cadet
So, since Omni done a Smashified version of the Inklings for Smash, even though he didn't have to do it because the inklings official design would've transferred into Smash art style really well, but with the game officially released and it seems like the game is getting many positive reviews for the most part and the Inklings are still getting voted for in the ballot despite the costumes, do you guys think it'll be enough to let them be in Smash as official charcters? Especially since this is the one franchises many people want to get represented for in Smash now rather than later.

PS: I would love to have Splatoon for handheld 3DS come please Nintendo. Though I can also understand if they don't do a handheld version of the game.

For some reason I have this feeling that another Smash leak maybe on our horizon wouldn't be suprised especially with E3 coming just around the corner.
I feel you brother/sister for wanting splatoon on 3ds

Last edited:
Top Bottom