• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out how to deal damage as well.

One of the best things about the boss is that it isn't gimmicky, but a test of everything you learn during the single player.
I just wish I spent more orbs getting Hero Shot to Lv3 instead of upgrading my explosives to tier 2 & 3. You NEED that high fire rate towards the end... I was having to do things with a quarter of a second of leeway.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I just wish I spent more orbs getting Hero Shot to Lv3 instead of upgrading my explosives to tier 2 & 3. You NEED that high fire rate towards the end... I was having to do things with a quarter of a second of leeway.
True. My firing rate was at Lv2 and in the last section of the boss, I had to shoot while walking backwards, otherwise it would hit me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Finished piece for those curious.

It's a bit redundant since the Inklings already fit Smash's art style with official renders, but nice piece nonetheless.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Here is a better transparent render from Artsy Omni's Deviantart.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Read that in Squid Girl's voice. What is wrong with me today?
Today, you're a squid, not a kid.

The smashified art is awesome, although it wasn't really needed in the first place (the original artworks already fit in Smash).

But hey, it shows even more popularity. It can help having them.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I got to play multiplayer after rebooting my modem, I played until I reached Level 4.
Tip: Being a sniper on Walleye Warehouse can either go really well or go horribly wrong.
I managed to get 1st to 2nd each match thanks to the single player AKA multiplayer training mode.
I'm having a lot of fun and can't wait to play again.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I'm gonna avoid this thread for about a week until I get me copy of Splatoon

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So, since Omni done a Smashified version of the Inklings for Smash, even though he didn't have to do it because the inklings official design would've transferred into Smash art style really well, but with the game officially released and it seems like the game is getting many positive reviews for the most part and the Inklings are still getting voted for in the ballot despite the costumes, do you guys think it'll be enough to let them be in Smash as official charcters? Especially since this is the one franchises many people want to get represented for in Smash now rather than later.

PS: I would love to have Splatoon for handheld 3DS come please Nintendo. Though I can also understand if they don't do a handheld version of the game.

For some reason I have this feeling that another Smash leak maybe on our horizon wouldn't be suprised especially with E3 coming just around the corner.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not sure if the 3DS would handle a game like Splatoon, unless it was heavily gimped down. Not sure if want. Maybe for the next handheld, the 3DS is ~5 years old, it won't take long for the next one to be announced (my bet the NX is the next handheld).

Anyways, yes I think Inklings have a high change of becoming DLC characters. It is rare for a new character to be as popular as Inklings are. If not, they will definitely be playable in the next Smash.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I can't support this character because the commercial is so obnoxious. I was gonna buy the game until I heard "you're a kid now, you're a squid now."
#shootyourselfwithaninkgun

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Okay.
Why bother coming in here to tell us?
I was kinda hoping the faithful would rise up and show me how ignorant I am for NOT supporting them. I mean, they shoot ink from a squirt gun and turn into a squid to swim through said ink, that just has Smash Bros splattered all over it. Am I doing it right?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I was kinda hoping the faithful would rise up and show me how ignorant I am for NOT supporting them. I mean, they shoot ink from a squirt gun and turn into a squid to swim through said ink, that just has Smash Bros splattered all over it. Am I doing it right?
Well everyone has there own opinion. No need to come on to a support thread for a certain character to tell the supporters that you don't support them.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The game's great. Great enough that Japan is struggling to meet the demand.
If the memetic stupidity of the commercial is enough to hold you back, I don't know what to say.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Well everyone has there own opinion. No need to come on to a support thread for a certain character to tell the supporters that you don't support them.
You're right. Everyone should respect each other's opinions. It's not like anything good ever came from people having varied stances and expressing them. I mean, discussions should be like-minded people agreeing with how right they are, and people that don't agree should only associate with people that share the same views. Otherwise people would have to critically evaluate their stance when contrasting their beliefs with others, can you imagine the horror?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You're right. Everyone should respect each other's opinions. It's not like anything good ever came from people having varied stances and expressing them. I mean, discussions should be like-minded people agreeing with how right they are, and people that don't agree should only associate with people that share the same views. Otherwise people would have to critically evaluate their stance when contrasting their beliefs with others, can you imagine the horror?
Why are you trying to get a angrier response from us?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
You do know not every charcter has a rabid fanbase right? There are some fanbases that could be very peaceful. We don't always have to jump on someone to get them to support a charcter. Besides if you want a charcater, you want a character you don't have to support it if you don't want to. It's not like we're going to force you or change your mind.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm not trying to incite anger, I'm trying to facilitate character discussion. I don't personally understand the want for a character that has only been out for a day that revolves around shooting ink from a water gun. But hey, I'm an open-minded guy and Smash can take plenty of creative liberties, and I'm sure they could make an Inkling work. My question to all of you is "why?" Do you support it just because the Inkling is the new thing? Do you REALLY think the Inkling deserves to be in Smash or do you want them in because why not? I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm challenging you (and by you I mean the support base as a whole) to have enough faith in your character to present me with reasons why the character should be in Smash, and if you can't then why DO you think the character should be in Smash? I'm just curious in hearing your opinions (again, your referring to all of you).

slambros

Smash Ace
I got the game today, but I'm away from my Wii U this weekend. I'm excited to dive in as soon as I can.

I support the Inklings for smash. Didn't vote for them, but I don't think I'll even need to.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm not trying to incite anger, I'm trying to facilitate character discussion. I don't personally understand the want for a character that has only been out for a day that revolves around shooting ink from a water gun. But hey, I'm an open-minded guy and Smash can take plenty of creative liberties, and I'm sure they could make an Inkling work. My question to all of you is "why?" Do you support it just because the Inkling is the new thing? Do you REALLY think the Inkling deserves to be in Smash or do you want them in because why not? I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm challenging you (and by you I mean the support base as a whole) to have enough faith in your character to present me with reasons why the character should be in Smash, and if you can't then why DO you think the character should be in Smash? I'm just curious in hearing your opinions (again, your referring to all of you).
Ok, well I support the Inklings because I think they'd be interesting. They'd be a gimmicky character of sorts traversing around the stage by shooting ink in human form and then swimming in it as a squid. They could use other weapons from their game like the Splat Charger (sniper rifle equivalent), Splat Roller, and Ink Brush. I do believe they deserve to be put in Smash since their game sold well in both America and Japan in literally 1 day. It sold out it Japan actually. It was out for one day. Plus the game is fun and might be a system seller.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can't support this character because the commercial is so obnoxious. I was gonna buy the game until I heard "you're a kid now, you're a squid now."
#shootyourselfwithaninkgun
That's like hating The Legend of Zelda because of this commercial:
Like, kinda silly, don't you think?

I've been supporting Inklings since almost immediately after the reveal of Splatoon. Not because "they're the new thing" but because I immediately saw the infinite potential of the character and Splatoon in general.
And honestly, if you want to just discuss the character, starting by openly dismissing them because of a lame commercial everyone already knows about is not the best way to go about it.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Not "Inkvade the Battle!"

0/10 you gotta be squidding me.
I actually liked the one that Omni came with.
Well, I support them because, the Inklings as a charcter in Smash would have something we've never seen before. They'd be interesting and unique. This is something Sakurai looks for in a character. They would have a very fun and creative moveset. They could be customizable by using that as their alternate costumes or color swaps, like the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Robin. Can easily have a customizable moveset, even though Mewtwo doesn't have custom moves as of yet it could be upgraded in a balance patch. They could have their squid jumps as their recovery. They could also turn into a squid form when in battle as apart of one of their specials. They have tons of final smash possiblities.

The Inklings would be fun and interesting character. The game sold out in Japan and it selling pretty well here in America, mind you this was just in one day. This has yet to happen to any Wii U game up until now, when the Wii U first launched. Not to mention this is a franchise that doesn't have a universe representation in Smash. People like when both old or new franchises gets representation in Smash in some way, shape, or form. Just because Splatoon has one annoying commercial that you or other people may not like shouldn't be the reason why it should be dismissed from Smash. There are tons of Nintendo IPs that have annoying commercials at times and they made it into Smash.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Ok, well I support the Inklings because I think they'd be interesting. They'd be a gimmicky character of sorts traversing around the stage by shooting ink in human form and then swimming in it as a squid. They could use other weapons from their game like the Splat Charger (sniper rifle equivalent), Splat Roller, and Ink Brush. I do believe they deserve to be put in Smash since their game sold well in both America and Japan in literally 1 day. It sold out it Japan actually. It was out for one day. Plus the game is fun and might be a system seller.
I can accept the moveset potential, but I don't accept the notion that just because something is popular that it's good. Many, many, MANY things are popular but are bad. Plus, Wii Fit was insanely popular and so much of the fanbase is ecstatic that the Trainer made it in, right?
I guess what really piques my interest is that I doubt that the Inkling is your favorite Nintendo character. If all of your favorite characters are already in Smash then congratulations (and I hate/envy you), but if you have an old favorite that didn't make it in, would you throw the vote to the Inkling or the character you wanted before you knew the Inkling existed?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can accept the moveset potential, but I don't accept the notion that just because something is popular that it's good. Many, many, MANY things are popular but are bad. Plus, Wii Fit was insanely popular and so much of the fanbase is ecstatic that the Trainer made it in, right?
Speak for yourself, friend. :4wiifit:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I guess what really piques my interest is that I doubt that the Inkling is your favorite Nintendo character. If all of your favorite characters are already in Smash then congratulations (and I hate/envy you), but if you have an old favorite that didn't make it in, would you throw the vote to the Inkling or the character you wanted before you knew the Inkling existed?
Of course I'd rather have Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Samurai Goroh, etc. but that doesn't mean I still can't support the Inklings. They are fun and unique and is a new IP, something Nintendo has been making an effort to do since everyone who hates them always bring up that they do the same things over and over *COUGH COUGH CALL OF DUTY FANBOYS CAN'T SAY SH*T*.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If you have multiple online devices, you have multiple votes. Nobody's forcing you to SHUN anyone that you like in favor of Inklings.

But that's not what you said.

You said you didn't support them solely because of the commercial. Not because it would somehow force you to not support someone else.

Splatoon's a great title and the most innovation we've seen from a 1st Party IP since.... :4olimar:.

I tossed a vote to Bandana Dee and K. Rool before Inklings, of course.

But you can support Inklings without even voting for them.

Discussion on Social Media, Miiverse Drawings, making others aware of the game and characters. To support means you want them in Smash and will do little things to promote them.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Of course there are older characters that I'd like to see get into Smash, such as King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Sammi, Krystal but there is nothing wrong with wanting to support new characters like the Inkling. I'm sure Nintendo is probably pleased that we already want to see this character in Smash. Besides the game Smash Bros is about celebrating Nintendo's history both past and present.

Last edited:
Top Bottom