• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
A lot of 3DS and Wii U games have digital manuals, which are as good if not better than physical ones.
So.
I had to stop playing because my right hand started to cramp after too many hours on the gamepad.

Got to Lv8 for Turf War and am up to the Final Boss of Campaign with every secret scroll obtained.
How's everyone else shaping up so far?
Level 11 here. I am close to finishing the single player mode, but I only have like 5 scrolls so far. I will play it all over again looking for the scrolls eventually.

Burruni

Smash Hero
A lot of 3DS and Wii U games have digital manuals, which are as good if not better than physical ones.

Level 11 here. I am close to finishing the single player mode, but I only have like 5 scrolls so far. I will play it all over again looking for the scrolls eventually.
A tip: They like putting them behind/under those metal grate platforms that you can sink under as a Squid.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Well I like to physically have the manual also cuz I like the art in it. Plus I think its easier to look through a physical manual than digital. Also Pikmin 3 had a physical manual.

Reila

A tip: They like putting them behind/under those metal grate platforms that you can sink under as a Squid.
Well I like to physically have the manual also cuz I like the art in it. Plus I think its easier to look through a physical manual than digital. Also Pikmin 3 had a physical manual.
Cool. I don't like having physical stuff (I am always throwing away stuff I don't use anymore), so anything game-related for me is digital if possible.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Also? What has been your best moment so far?

I ran with the Krak-On Roller because I do best with a Roller and Kraken is amazing.

Saltspray Rig.

I go charge down to take care of that narrow point at the south with the one major bridge in and out of.

Three of their team spring out from the ink, thinking they have the upper hand.

I go Kraken. Triple Kill and sweep up the territory.

And you all are lucky there's no voice chat.

Because the entire time I screamed out

GIGA

DRRRIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRU

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN!!!

Reila

The one match I played the charger and completely dominated, both in points/ink coverage and kills. Charger is such a great weapon, but it's also really hard to play well even with the gyro controls, so that match's result took me by surprise. Another great moment was when I managed to avoid a kraken which was coming directly towards me, then follow and kill them thereafter.

Last edited:
Also? What has been your best moment so far?

I ran with the Krak-On Roller because I do best with a Roller and Kraken is amazing.

Saltspray Rig.

I go charge down to take care of that narrow point at the south with the one major bridge in and out of.

Three of their team spring out from the ink, thinking they have the upper hand.

I go Kraken. Triple Kill and sweep up the territory.

And you all are lucky there's no voice chat.

Because the entire time I screamed out

GIGA

DRRRIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRU

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN!!!
While a double kill with one charger shot vs 2 submerged enemies was great it would probably be realizing callie and marie have their own location in the plaza a huge comeback from losing for the entire match but snealing out as a squid and taking their turf from behind with the 52 gal.

Seriously sneak attacks can do so much work.
The one match I played the charger and completely dominated, both in points/ink coverage and kills. Charger is such a great weapon, but it's also really hard to play well even with the gyro controls, so that match's result took me by surprise. Another great moment was when I managed to avoid a kraken which was coming directly towards me, follow and kill them thereafter.
just checking but you know you can turn off gyro controls right? I know you're on squidboards so i would assume you do.

Last edited:

Reila

just checking but you know you can turn off gyro controls right? I know you're on squidboards so i would assume you do.
I am aware, but I have gotten used to them. The game seem to have been built around playing with gyro on, actually.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I am aware, but I have gotten used to them. The game seem to have been built around playing with gyro on, actually.
God bless you but I don't feel that way, personally. Maybe it's because horizontal camera panning is still bound to the 2nd Control Stick if you are using gyro.

Reila

God bless you but I don't feel that way, personally. Maybe it's because horizontal camera panning is still bound to the 2nd Control Stick if you are using gyro.
I think it is probably because doing horizontal movement solely with gyro would be really bad. It is good for vertical camera and having an extra way of adjusting the camera is really helpful. That said, if you (or someone else) feel like playing without gyro is better, that is perfectly fine.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
My only complaint is the motion control camera. Thankfully it's fixed by the ability to put it on the second analogue stick.

So what would be the Inkling's final smash? There's three possible choices from what i've seen. (Have not finished the story yet) The kraken, that sound cannon, or the orbital ink strike. lol

Although one is too similar to Smaus' and Mii Gunner's respective Final Smashes.

Reila

I love the Killer Wail, so naturally I'd love it to be Inkling's FS. Although it would be better off as an item.

The inkstrike and the kraken seem to be the best 2 with the inkzooka as something like a huge buff at a close third.

While the inkstrike just sounds more fun i think releasing the kraken is the way to go.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I agree with Reila that the Killer Wail would be a neat new item.

It gets set up by being tossed like the Sentry Turret from Kid Icarus, but just lets out that one massive turbine that hits like a fully charged ROB beam before breaking.

Kraken is best Final Smash, though.

Basically a ground based :4charizard:/:4yoshi: Final Smash but with the kind of massive knockback that :4pacman:'s has?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The kraken would definitely be unique in the sense of it being a ground based version of Charizard's, and Yoshi's, final smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The kraken would definitely be unique in the sense of it being a ground based version of Charizard's, and Yoshi's, final smash.
A transformation Final Smash with minimalized controls (in this idea, you retain your Jump but A/B causes a quick horizontal dash. You only have possible damage when doing either of these).

Just to elaborate this idea to people.

I may draft up a moveset soon enough.

Anyone who has seen my movesets should know I try to be creative and in depth.

Have items even been discussed yet?

Sprinkler (dont know official name): shoots off both sides dealing damage to any enemy hit. If it hits the ground instead of an enemy, enemies walk slower over affected areas.

Wall: deal damage to any one who walks into it and blocks enemy projectiles (but not allies)

Seeker and ink grenades could be cool but thise would probably be in the inkling moveset.

Seeker is just a bombchu with a trail anyway. . . .

Callie and marie assist trophies

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Happy launch day. Just got home after work, so I finally get to play Splatoon. Hope everyone is having fun so far!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Have items even been discussed yet?

Sprinkler (dont know official name): shoots off both sides dealing damage to any enemy hit. If it hits the ground instead of an enemy, enemies walk slower over affected areas.

Wall: deal damage to any one who walks into it and blocks enemy projectiles (but not allies)

Seeker and ink grenades could be cool but thise would probably be in the inkling moveset.

Seeker is just a bombchu with a trail anyway. . . .
Sprinkler is the official name. It should be able to stick to floors and ledges like Remote-Sensor Bombs, Bumpers, and Sticky Bombs.

I aggree for all of the Inkling Bomb arsenal, since they're used pretty interchangably in the Octo Valley anyways. Edit: That's... the single player campaign, for anyone who didn't know.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think if Inklings have an ink-based moveset then they would only have a limited amount and ink would actually dry up if you spray new ink or alternatively if a certain amount of time passes.
This would be a balance measure, as Inklings would have a massive advantage on a part of the stage where they have ink.
Thoughts?

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
So.

How's everyone else shaping up so far?
Well . . . I beat the single player BUT MY INTERNET IS ACTING UP RIGHT NOW SO I CAN'T PLAY A SINGLE MATCH OF THE MULTIPLAYER WITHOUT IT GETTING A COMMUNICATION ERROR EITHER AT THE BEGINNING OR THE LAST SECOND EVEN THOUGH IT WORKED FINE DURING THE TESTFIRES.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think if Inklings have an ink-based moveset then they would only have a limited amount and ink would actually dry up if you spray new ink or alternatively if a certain amount of time passes.
This would be a balance measure, as Inklings would have a massive advantage on a part of the stage where they have ink.
Thoughts?
I say only have one special which creates the ink trail, probably the charger for it being one linear shot, On ink, Inklings have increased speed (particularly in Squid Form, their crouch) while opponents have minorly but noticable slower speed and somewhat reduced initial jump height.

Inklings would reabsorb ink when they ran over it and it would disappear after ~5 seconds either way.

Not exactly the most accurate, but it fits a balance perspective and still represents them.

Edit: Honestly the decisions over how to balance how Ink works for a Smash moveset in general would be the most important too their kit. Either having a reserve tank which is placed over their % like Mac's KO Meter that recharges slowly over time but faster when in Squid form over Ink which makes them have more of a "limited usage" type of circumstance than even :4robinm::4robinf: or making it a limited part of their kit as I first described.

Last edited:

Reila

I had a lot of issues (communication errors, the connection is unstable, etc). I ended up buying a new modem and it works fine now.

Well, except for the fact the modem loves to reboot by itself when it feels like.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Game's amazing.

Going to go on the hunt for an Inkling amiibo 'cos I really want that schoolgirl set.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
You guys think I should change my avatar with my SquidBoards one?

I like them both equally but I don't like getting into fights with a smile on.
I think I'll just stick with my current one for now but I still want your thoughts.

Burruni

Smash Hero
End: Splatoon Day 1.

Online Level: 9

1P Campaign Progreess: 100% Levels & Scrolls, Tier 2 Hero Shot. Tier 4 Ink Tank. Tier 2 Splat Bombs. Tier 2 Burst Bombs. Tier 3 Seekers.

Why does the campaign require thousands of Power Eggs more for the upgrades than any sane person would accrue in even 2 playthroughs?

Was it worth $60? Certainly not yet but I've really been enjoying my time.

Last edited:

Reila

The final boss is the best thing holy sheeit

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
What happens when you lose all your lives? Do you start from the beginning of the level? I got through the whole campaign without losing all of them. Those Octoling levels were a close one though.

Last edited:

Reila

What happens when you lose all your lives? Do you start from the beginning of the level? I got through the whole campaign without losing all of them. Those Octoling levels were a close one though.
You are transported back to Octo Valley

Burruni

Smash Hero
The final boss is the best thing holy shieet
The quotes are what make that boss, for me.

Though I spent like a good 15 minutes trying to figure out how you even damage them at the very start, because of how the bosses before were moreso "Avoid their attacks then retaliate on the weakspot."

It was a nice change and the best of that "structure" of a boss that I've seen Nintendo do, despite it being a classic.

Reila

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out how to deal damage as well.

One of the best things about the boss is that it isn't gimmicky, but a test of everything you learn during the single player.

Top Bottom