• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inception

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Okay so I saw it again and this is what I think...

Everything after Mombasa is somebody using Inception on Cobb. The part at the end with the Totem doesn't matter because Cobb clearly said that they only help you find out the truth in somebody else's dream. They don't work if somebody knows the weight of the Totem, and Cobb knows the weight of his Totem. So the twist ending is entirely a red herring, and the rest of the movie works like that. That's why James and Phillipa looked exactly the same at the end and were the exact same age, and that's also why towards the end of the movie, the scenes were starting to lack any real transition... they just suddenly changed like a dream.

Also keep in mind the old man that pretty much foreshadowed the ending - he told Cobb that dreaming was his reality. The people in Mombasa are heavily sedated, which is enough for the theoretical fourth layer that Cobb would have gone on if everything after Mombasa was a dream.
Except:

The weight wasn't important in Cobb's totem. The weight was important in Arthur's totem, the loaded die. The only important aspect of Cobb's totem was that it would spin indefinitely in a dream.

James and Phillipa wore slightly different clothing at the end. Also, unlike the dreams, they turned around. Also, unlike the dreams, Cobb did not wear his wedding ring.

I don't think the scenes lacked transition. They were waking from multiple dreams during different time lines.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Alright, same rule still applies - Cobb is the only one that knows about how his totem works, so that's why it might not work how it's supposed to in his own dream. And James and Phillipa totally wore the same clothes... I'm going to a third viewing soon though, so I'll double check on that, and look out for the wedding ring thing.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Uh, do you burn your clothes after wearing them once? And
How can you tell all these details about the children when they don't even show their faces until the last minute of the film? You're also mistaken about the transition thing. The part with Cobb going back home is one of the only parts in the movie where Cobb is shown getting off the plane, getting accepted by immigrations, getting picked up by the Michael Caine character, and going to the house. For the bulk of the film, Cobb is just there, wherever he's supposed to be but this isn't the case with the ending.

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
If only the inception technology was real.

Christopher Nolan has made my greatest director of all time list. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and now Inception. This guy can do no wrong. However, Spike Lee still holds the crown!
Also, Memento, Insomnia, and The Prestige,

Pretty much everyone of his movies are excellent, and really worth checking out.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I had a dream about inception. I basically had a lucid dream and i could control everything. It's pretty boss. And for the last 2 nights, I've had 2+ dreams that I can remember. ****ING AMAZING! :D

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I've been more aware of my dreams lately.

In the past, I have kept a dream journal. It got to the point where I was able to remember 3 or more dreams a night. I've even had lucid dreams before.

Dream recall is very cool and can give you insight into yourself and is also a great form of entertainment. If you are going to spend a third of your life asleep, you might as well enjoy it to the fullest!!! :)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
It's great. I think if I put more thought into dreaming, I can remember them more often.

And lucid dreaming is amazing. I love it, I should try to get them every single time.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Did not like it...at all.
Overhyped.
Insightful!

I heard you throw around the "overhyped" word somewhere around here before. You might want to seperate a piece of art from the hype/audience. That way you get more enjoyment out of things, and also you don't look like a pretentious buzzkill. Saying something is over-hyped is not at all a valid criticism. What didn't you like, specifically?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I really wanted to say I did but I just didn't enjoy it.
It felt gloomy, slow, and never really got the point - and when it did I wasn't like "ohhhh" or "oooo" I was just bored.

The movie didn't explain itself AT ALL. Effect but no cause.
An example "If you plant this idea into someones mind I'll just magically allow you to go to see your children", it didn't get into the characters (emotionally).. I didn't even care for their names. I predicted the end, and besides Decaprio's role the actors seemed pretty terrible or not convincing as well as the special effects. I mean it wasn't a TERRIBLE movie but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be...then again I don't like action movies. I actually thought this one would have a decent plot (I was wrong).

Basically... when Rottentomatoes gives a movie 89%+ I'm more than sure I will come out smiling, sadly I did not.

We are talking about American History - X, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile status...

I would write out a huge review.... but this one hits it spot on.
I have nothing against Christopher Nolan, and really enjoyed the Dark Knight but imo this was a huuuuugeeee step back. I would go see The Dark Knight THREE more times, I wouldn't even bother seeing this again.

(Just my opinion)

http://nymag.com/movies/reviews/67155/

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman

An example "If you plant this idea into someones mind I'll just magically allow you to go to see your children", it didn't get into the characters (emotionally)

Completion of Saito's assignment allowed for Cobb to be able to go back the the US to see his kids because Saito is a man powerful enough to make criminal charges disappear

the film got into cobb emotionally but i agree that the other characters lacked emotional depth and instead they each had their own "special skill"

regardless, it was an incredible movie. I for one don't really care about emotional depth when i'm being presented with a world where anything is possible and everything is awesome

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
... that proves my point exactly.
Anything is possible and everything is awesome....because?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It felt gloomy, slow, and never really got the point - and when it did I wasn't like "ohhhh" or "oooo" I was just bored.

An example "If you plant this idea into someones mind I'll just magically allow you to go to see your children", it didn't get into the characters (emotionally).. I didn't even care for their names. I predicted the end, and besides Decaprio's role the actors seemed pretty terrible or not convincing as well as the special effects. I mean it wasn't a TERRIBLE movie but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be...then again I don't like action movies. I actually thought this one would have a decent plot (I was wrong).

Basically... when Rottentomatoes gives a movie 89%+ I'm more than sure I will come out smiling, sadly I did not.

We are talking about American History - X, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile status...

I have nothing against Christopher Nolan, and really enjoyed the Dark Knight but imo this was a huuuuugeeee step back. I would go see The Dark Knight THREE more times, I wouldn't even bother seeing this again.

(Just my opinion)

lol. American History X is lame, pandering crap.

The Saito character was incredibly powerful and had connections. He could make a phone call and erase Cobb's murder rep. I dunno why that's so hard to swallow, given the entire plot of the film.

It didn't "get into the characters" because literally the only character that mattered to the narrative was Cobb. Personally, I felt a lot for Cobb's story and was very happy with the way they ended it. I can't speak for other people or convert you on something you just didn't feel, but you are seriously being unnecessarily harsh.

Also, what the hell does "it never got the point" mean? Inception is all about thematics, more than plot or story or characterization. What is the "point" that it apparently missed?

sorry you didn't like it!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion

lol, enjoy The Expendables.

But
I think some of you guys might be adding a bit too many layers to the ending. The way it ended seemed to me like more just practicality of story telling.

The audience wants it to not be a dream because Cobb deserves reality in what he sees in the ending, and Christopher Nolan (imo) knows this. But he also recognizes his piece as an action-thriller and knows that letting us see the top fall would be a little sappy. I think Nolan simply trusts the audience to believe that all the protagonists' efforts finally brought what they were fighting for, while allowing him to end the story in a way that he knew still fit the general mood of the movie.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
What makes this movie such a success and so much fun to debate about is the fact that there really is no "true" ending. Nolan brilliantly ended the movie so that the rest is just up to our imagination. All we can do is speculate and theorize.

Oh and it look like Inception will settle firmly as the #3 movie of all time on IMDB... Right behind Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather. This makes me happy. :)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I liked the movie, but I didn't feel like it lived up to all the hype it got.

I'm staying away from theories until it comes out on dvd and I can rewatch it over and over.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I find the top movies list on Rottentomatos to be a bit more odd.... IMO.
I don't read Rotten Tomatoes but there is a difference. Rotten Tomatoes is a professional-review aggregator. The in that case would mean the most critically revered films of all time. I'm not saying any professional critic is perfect, but I think they are a little more "on-the-money" than IMDB, because IMDB is full of people of all ages and intelligence. It's also full of fanboys and nerds, so many of the scores there are completely arbitrary and untrustable. most people either vote 1 or 10 and often rate movies badly just because they are popular/critically loved/etc. and not reflecting the actual quality of film.

Again, I'm saying all of this without actually looking at RT's list but I still feel I'm right on general principle.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Someone is no more reliable a critic than anyone else just because of their position. You just have to find someone that you seem to agree with the most, despite whether they're just some average guy or a professional critic.

De gustibus non est disputandem.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I guess so. I don't really read reviews too much these days aside from an occasional Roger Ebert review/article. I never read reviews to decide on what to watch either so I can't speak for people who do. When I do read one, it's usually to find out someone else's insight into the film. It's refreshing to see someone with different taste be able to communicate why.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
What, you've guys have never watched something, thought it made sense, then watched it again and realized it didn't? Guess you guys never watched WTF Pokemon!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

(Just my opinion)

David Edelstein is a hack. He basically hates Christopher Nolan movies (hated Batman Begins and Dark Knight but loved Fantastic Four 1 and 2). Essentially, any movie that requires looking behind the surface, he hates.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
TDK is relatively "deep" for a comic book movie, I think. That's not saying a whole lot though. I don't think it's that amazing of a movie, really, but there is a certain complexity to the character arcs that I think puts it above Ghost Rider and Hulk and Fantastic 4, et al.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Haven't seen Hulk yet, I stay far away from Nicholas Cage so I haven't seen Ghost Rider, but yeah, its more complex than Fantastic 4, which is a shame, because Dr. Doom is one of the few comic book villains I actually like. I mean, he should have been a lot more complex than he was, especially compared to The Joker, perhaps the most shallow villain of comic book history, but they completely failed in that regard.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Haven't seen Hulk yet, I stay far away from Nicholas Cage so I haven't seen Ghost Rider, but yeah, its more complex than Fantastic 4, which is a shame, because Dr. Doom is one of the few comic book villains I actually like. I mean, he should have been a lot more complex than he was, especially compared to The Joker, perhaps the most shallow villain of comic book history, but they completely failed in that regard.
How exactly is the Joker shallow(i dont read the actual comic series, just graphic novels, so he may be different than how i see him in the actual series)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Nic Cage is one of my favorite working actors. booyaaa

As for Joker, I dunno if he's shallow, but his portrayal throughout the years is so inconsistent that it's hard to think of him as anything more than a crazy paradox

Top Bottom