• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Depth Examination of Bair

Chaco

Never Logs In
Bair has many qualities that can be taken advantage of, but are not used. So this thread is going to be used for the full examination of bair.

As of right now I have a few things I'm going to test. I think the first two hits of bair, when SHd to FF can be used as inescapable to Fsmash. I'm not quite sure. But if not, it's pretyy hard to dodge. Since it sends you down to the ground and the slide makes you follow them so the fsmash is right there.

So use this thread as a discussion for bair, and what it's true potential is.

People gonna need to help me test.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Uhm a luigi main i face spams fireballs in his approach making my grabs virtually worthless so i find bair perfect for fanning the flames away and setting up comboes

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
The first hit of a B air can lead to an up smash as well. Best seen at like 105% on Falco. B air as close as you can while at like your max aerial acceleration then time the B air to hit right before you land fast fall if you have to then up smash right way you'll slide toward falco due to landing momentum and up smash him. Seems inescapable at least at 105%.

bigman40

Smash Master
You are correct about that. I'm messing in training mode and starting from 70% on mario, Bair -> Usmash/Utilt will almost always connect and give me the "combo" on the consecutive meter

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
As of right now I have a few things I'm going to test. I think the first two hits of bair, when SHd to FF can be used as inescapable to Fsmash. I'm not quite sure. But if not, it's pretyy hard to dodge. Since it sends you down to the ground and the slide makes you follow them so the fsmash is right there.
Thanks for putting up my combo heeheehee :chuckle: :chuckle:

Just Kidding, but yeah, the SHBair fastfalled to fsmash is almost guaranteed when you get the first two hits. Really useful in all situations and can lead to a kill out of nowhere.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Lol, no problem. But I think it might be unavoidable.

And the third hit of bair I think has special qualities.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm not going to recommend training mode to test stuff.

From what I've been reading, but have yet to confirm, is that training mode numbers conflict with numbers in the actual multiplayer Brawl mode. At least, if you're going to use training mode, try to use the multiplayer Brawl mode, as well.

bigman40

Smash Master

From what I've been reading, but have yet to confirm, is that training mode numbers conflict with numbers in the actual multiplayer Brawl mode. At least, if you're going to use training mode, try to use the multiplayer Brawl mode, as well.
There's only small aspects that you can use from the actual training mode, and since this was mainly about Bair, I used the first two hits of the Bair to see what I would get. Something like that won't matter as much as looking for a combo like Fair -> Usmash.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero

I use the SHBair FF -> Fsmash in multiplayer enough to know that it does work. I agree with Shiri on using multiplayer mode.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Shiri is right. In terms of damage, it does a little less damage in training mode. Moves do not stagnate in training mode. I found something odd though.

Training / Versus(fresh)

Up smash(charged) 22% / 23%
Fsmash (charged) 22% / 23%
Dair 33% total / 34% total

What's weird is that the differnce is hardly noticeable, almost as if the damage is a decimal like 22.5% and training mode rounds downwards and versus mode rounds up.

What is affected most is knockback.

Kill % against Mario on Top platform of Battlefield with No DI . The CPU in training mode set to Control.

Usmash(Charged) 71% / 65%
Usmash(not Charged) 111% / 104%
Uair 104% / 98%/

Chaco

Never Logs In
There's only small aspects that you can use from the actual training mode, and since this was mainly about Bair, I used the first two hits of the Bair to see what I would get. Something like that won't matter as much as looking for a combo like Fair -> Usmash.
I was playing earlier and used the first hit to usmash quite a bit, and two hits to fsmash.

Sharky

Smash Master
ff bair -> pivot-grab -> CG -> u-smash? Only for characters that apply, of course, but any testers?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I do agree with Chaco on something.

The third hit of back air does seem pretty different from the others. I find that it tends to lift characters off the ground more than the other hits, which is why I specifically aim for the latter part of this move when I'm fighting characters like Snake who I want off the ground and why I am for the earlier part of the move when I'm fighting characters like Meta Knight, who I don't want sent into the air.

Airborne

Smash Lord

The third hit of back air does seem pretty different from the others. I find that it tends to lift characters off the ground more than the other hits, which is why I specifically aim for the latter part of this move when I'm fighting characters like Snake who I want off the ground and why I am for the earlier part of the move when I'm fighting characters like Meta Knight, who I don't want sent into the air.
hmm... that sounds like it could be of great significance among different match-ups. i know this is going to sound stupid but the bair's first 2 hits go back as far as the third after a while, starting around 110 or 115% i think....

Sharky

Smash Master
YoshiIslander, I'm pretty sure there isn't enough hitstun for that to work. For comparison's sake, you need very precise timing to keep up the banana lock on Diddy Kong, and the tripping animation is longer than that of being hit by the bair. I hope that's a satisfactory answer. =)

EDIT: I will try it out, for your sake, however. :yoshi:

Chaco

Never Logs In

Exactly, using different hits of the move will cause different results. Starting with the third makes them go higher because of the way you hit them, when using the first two hits then the third I believe it keeps it in check to make it a multi hit move. Sooo, therefore using seperate hits can reap a huge benefit.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Bair to pivot grab is like my new favorite thing.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I need to start doing this more. My back aerial setups are starting to get stale. I need more grab setups.

Sharky

Smash Master
lrn2dr lol jk, I can't do it yet, either. =P

and wowzers, my bair->pivot grab idea actually caught hold, noice! =D

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah, it really is a nice set up. They don't expect it. Lol.

Top Bottom