• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving Pit's Reputation

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Im glad esca and ravyn (some of the only good pit players)understand that pit is not going to get higher than 9 on the tier list, 8 tops. He isnt a bad character really, but he isnt top tier material, bad match ups and limitations to the character hinder him. We can still learn and become better players, but if people are going to remain bias and say things that arent realistic, the board is going to continue to suck. We can still place well at tournaments, but we arent going to win a national. Saying things like "we need to learn the MK match up" 50 billion times isnt going to change the fact that the mk matchup is bad due to how the game was created! Move on, discuss other things, make the board semi fun to be on.

CaptainPlatypus

Smash Cadet
Im glad esca and ravyn (some of the only good pit players)understand that pit is not going to get higher than 9 on the tier list, 8 tops. He isnt a bad character really, but he isnt top tier material, bad match ups and limitations to the character hinder him. We can still learn and become better players, but if people are going to remain bias and say things that arent realistic, the board is going to continue to suck. We can still place well at tournaments, but we arent going to win a national. Saying things like "we need to learn the MK match up" 50 billion times isnt going to change the fact that the mk matchup is bad due to how the game was created! Move on, discuss other things, make the board semi fun to be on.
Yeah, pretty much. Being one of the top 10 characters or so in the game is pretty good. People need to understand that just because he isn't top 5 or anything doesn't mean he isn't good. He isn't just going to get a lot better all of the sudden. He is what he is. Just worry more about improving your skills, and not about improving the character itself.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
I think Pit's growth is all dependent on overcoming Meta Knight. It's that ultra-important matchup since he's the most widely used character. I've only seen KoolAid play Pit vs MK in teams, but I've seen Masashi do some pretty work against MKs.
Before anyone says, Pit will never be able to beat MK, Pit isn't good enough etc, one thing you've got to factor in is when players see the top players pick MK, they follow suit. I'm sure someone's thinking, those top players pick MK for a reason, and that's true. What I'm saying though is the amount of players who use someone like Pit are gimped by the people who use MK instead b/c they see it as the only way to win. I'm NOT saying Pit is better than MK, I'm saying that Pit will always be slower to develop as a character b/c there's so fewer players using him. Bottom line, if people are able to beat MK with Pit (it will never be consistent don't misunderstand me), then people won't be as terrified to try him and Pit will evolve a lot more.

Coffee™

I need it....
I think Pit's growth is all dependent on overcoming Meta Knight. It's that ultra-important matchup since he's the most widely used character. I've only seen KoolAid play Pit vs MK in teams, but I've seen Masashi do some pretty work against MKs.
Before anyone says, Pit will never be able to beat MK, Pit isn't good enough etc, one thing you've got to factor in is when players see the top players pick MK, they follow suit. I'm sure someone's thinking, those top players pick MK for a reason, and that's true. What I'm saying though is the amount of players who use someone like Pit are gimped by the people who use MK instead b/c they see it as the only way to win. I'm NOT saying Pit is better than MK, I'm saying that Pit will always be slower to develop as a character b/c there's so fewer players using him. Bottom line, if people are able to beat MK with Pit (it will never be consistent don't misunderstand me), then people won't be as terrified to try him and Pit will evolve a lot more.
You do not get it. Pit vs MK is a horrible matchup for Pit no matter how you look at it or say you want to improve it. I've played that matchup a ton and my conclusion was to switch to another character. I also play MK vs Pit instead of the Pit ditto because it's such an easy win once you know the matchup.

As far as doubles are concerned of course its easy enough to better there in the matchup as there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration. As for Masashi I have yet to see him play against any MK that actually knows what they are doing vs Pit.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
You do not get it. Pit vs MK is a horrible matchup for Pit no matter how you look at it or say you want to improve it. I've played that matchup a ton and my conclusion was to switch to another character. I also play MK vs Pit instead of the Pit ditto because it's such an easy win once you know the matchup.

As far as doubles are concerned of course its easy enough to better there in the matchup as there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration. As for Masashi I have yet to see him play against any MK that actually knows what they are doing vs Pit.
Yea I know man I'm trying to be optimistic about this lol. Imo it's 60-40 in MK's favor, possibly 65-35, it just fails that MK dominates so many characters in this game the way he does, virtually eliminating them from tourney play. Btw, who've you been using against MK?

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Almost everyone who plays as Pit knows that Pit vs. MK is a bad match up. But does that mean we should just give up? I would at least keep trying to find something, even if it improves my situation by a little bit.

But, who's matchup is good against MK? Is Marth a good matchup?

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
the tourney where i used gnw,icies,and mk was a scrub tourey <___________<

Esca

Smash Champion
Kool Aid... I've played against Takeurlife2, Broly, RoyR, and Mikehaze to name a few. Stop being an idiot.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Sorry esca, but i cannot agree with the statement that the MU Pit x Marth is in pits favor.

CaptainPlatypus

Smash Cadet
Sorry esca, but i cannot agree with the statement that the MU Pit x Marth is in pits favor.
I've never had any trouble with Marth. I mean I've never played a really good one, but I don't consider myself really good to begin with. I'd say I was playing Marths on the same level, or atleast close to the same level, as me.

Esca

Smash Champion
I can't really explain but I beat Broly at Whobo in a mm and I have never lost to a marth in an actual set.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
I can't really explain but I beat Broly at Whobo in a mm and I have never lost to a marth in an actual set.
It's pretty even from my experience, I've never got the chance to play against Esca though. I'd play ya at phase man but I won't be able to make it this month.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
pit v marth is even on most stages, in marth's favor on BF and yoshi's, and in pit's favor on other stages.

most people who feel its just in marth's favor arent very good

deathbygoten

Smash Cadet
i would like to know if there are any really good pit players that are young
im 13 and i think im alright i can keep up with corrupt fate sometimes
and he says im really good at looping arrows

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i would like to know if there are any really good pit players that are young
im 13 and i think im alright i can keep up with corrupt fate sometimes
and he says im really good at looping arrows
my step-bro is legit
his arrow looping is really effective and put up a good fight against some of utahs best like
__X__ :sonic:
plus he's only 13!

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
why does it matter how old people are? im 16 and i chill with people of all age groups. and my pit is...... acceptable

btw props for being young and playing in tournaments. i know people might have given you crap already. so i respect you for staying in the game :)

dualseeker

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter how old people are. If you want to play against someone, their age does not matter. I'm just surprised because I rarely hear of people that young doing well in tournaments. Congratulations on winning all those tournaments Death!

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter how old people are. If you want to play against someone, their age does not matter. I'm just surprised because I rarely hear of people that young doing well in tournaments. Congratulations on winning all those tournaments Death!
From my own personal experience I noticed a BIG difference in my overall gaming ability when I went through the ages 15-19 stage. Mind games increase a lot, you just become smarter, not necessarily just from experience but b/c you just grow and your mental capacity increases.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
From my own personal experience I noticed a BIG difference in my overall gaming ability when I went through the ages 15-19 stage. Mind games increase a lot, you just become smarter, not necessarily just from experience but b/c you just grow and your mental capacity increases.
It depends on the person really. My friend Sleeh, whos an olimar and 2nd in Norcal, is 13 years old and is top level in gaming ability.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
my little brother plays mk and he is 10 years old and hes at a pretty high level. scrubs of all ages are always coming to me saying, "i wanna rematch your brother!"
XD

but i think allbrex is right, he would be better if his mind was more developed

dualseeker

Smash Ace
It is true that as you get older, your mind does become more tolerant to more information. But, even kids who may be younger than you may know more. young people can be as good as older people, but it may take longer for them to understand things about the game, and maybe longer to understand things such as mindgame.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
It depends on the person really. My friend Sleeh, whos an olimar and 2nd in Norcal, is 13 years old and is top level in gaming ability.
Kira! Why don't you post more often here? I see you getting consistent top 2 placements @ the Arizona tournaments. Don't be afriad to post your thoughts and advice here.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
I will start, only up till recently was I completley oblivious to using the boards But now I just want to start communicating with my fellow pit Nigg'as.

Damien = God

Smash Cadet
So not sure where to post something like this; the Pit boards seemed a good idea.

A local game store was going to hold a Brawl Tournament awhile ago, got postponed (due to a break-in) until this most recently past Friday. The turn out wasn't great, with only...16 entrants, I want to say. I hadn't even heard of the new date until less than a week before hand, so it's my guess that a lot of people just hadn't heard about it. But this is all beside the point. I ended up winning, using Pit. Was Me vs. Wolf for the semi-finals; then vs. a Falco for the finals. They were actually brothers. They played beautifully and almost completely neutralized all my arrow effectiveness. Twas a wonderful game.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
nice! falco is a tough matchup for pit. and space animal deflectors are annoying. and yea this is probably the best place to post this. anyways nice job on wining the tournament. keep representing :)

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I secondary Pit but this thread makes me want to double main as him and wario.

Near impossible though, considering I find Wario's bike infinitely more enjoyable than my favorite tactics as Pit (air camping, perfectly looped arrow shots, and multi-hit combos that remind me of Llyod)

Top Bottom