• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving Pit's Reputation

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
He isn't top 5, but that statement was somewhat ignorant.
How so? Can you explain to me how the 21st character in tournament placings can even begin to make an argument for a single-digit placement on the tier list, or even being close to one?

The best solution to this thread can be summed up as: start actually placing. There are no other ways to possibly improve his reputation. Right now he's seen as an extremely mediocre character with a terribly overhyped tier placement, and his tournament results are seriously justifying this attitude.

You need to actually have a title before you can defend it.

CaptainPlatypus

Smash Cadet
How so? Can you explain to me how the 21st character in tournament placings can even begin to make an argument for a single-digit placement on the tier list, or even being close to one?

The best solution to this thread can be summed up as: start actually placing. There are no other ways to possibly improve his reputation. Right now he's seen as an extremely mediocre character with a terribly overhyped tier placement, and his tournament results are seriously justifying this attitude.

You need to actually have a title before you can defend it.
I never made any claim for his exact placement. Just because his tournament placings aren't good doesn't mean he isn't good. There are other factors. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I never made any claim for his exact placement. Just because his tournament placings aren't good doesn't mean he isn't good. There are other factors. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.
Like what?

If he doesn't ever place, it doesn't matter how good you say he is. All that matters is proof.

If a top tier character never wins a single tournament, or doesn't even place, what justification does it have for being in top tier?

"Just trust me, bro. This character is good."

???

CaptainPlatypus

Smash Cadet
Like what?

If he doesn't ever place, it doesn't matter how good you say he is. All that matters is proof.

If a top tier character never wins a single tournament, or doesn't even place, what justification does it have for being in top tier?

"Just trust me, bro. This character is good."

???
It would also depend on the amount of players for that character, and how good they are in comparison to the skill of the other players. It's not all reliant on the character itself. You're going completely off of correlations.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
OKay both of guy are right but are getting no where.
Kitamerby says proof in tourny's is the only thing now in that will improve pit. I agree.

Captainplatypus, everyone agrees he can do far better than he is now. But because our perception of vision equals our reality, pit has to place better to prove it. Which is happening =]

CaptainPlatypus

Smash Cadet
OKay both of guy are right but are getting no where.
Kitamerby says proof in tourny's is the only thing now in that will improve pit. I agree.

Captainplatypus, everyone agrees he can do far better than he is now. But because our perception of vision equals our reality, pit has to place better to prove it. Which is happening =]
I know he has to place better in order to receive a better placement. I never said he should just be given a higher placement.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
=_= sigh koolaid... Sagemoon did say something about Vex and Koolaid not representing pit always.
this is bad :( im gonna start practicing even harder. btw does any area tourny count for the tournament placement stats or does it have to be akcknowledged as a legit tournament or something like that?

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I seriously think if we could just commit ourselves just a LITTLE bit more in match ups we DON'T have numbers for, we could improve drastically. Also giving more attention to certain skills and techniques in Pits arsenal would help us improve even more. I still don't get why people put off some moves, such as Arrow Looping, as being insignificant and "just for show". Most of Pits moves are underestimated because 1: Other people don't believe Pits moves to be good and 2:
Which is the Saddest part for me
We agree by saying that some of Pits moves are worthless.

How many of you think Arrows can change the tide of a match?
Do you think special techniques using arrows, such as Arrow Looping, could improve Pit's game?

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
^^this
matchups are REALLY needed right now.

also i dont think people are exploring the full potential of arrow looping.
when people see the arrow start looping, they start sheilding or counting down for whe the arrow will finish the loop, this is a distraction which creates an opening for other attacks. in other words if we learn to "fake arrow loop" we will not only have another AT but also make arrow looping more useful and less predictable

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
/\

This is totaly useless in a tourny match. It can work like hell in friendlies, but believe me. When someone is player like serious business, they won't be catch by such mind game.
You mind game should be up to movimentation an mixing up your atacks. Such as spacing fair and AAA with or without an Dtilt follow up, Dthow to bair, or if doesn't work pivot grab.

I could continue this list on and on.
Some one should start possible followups for each atack.
Ganons Boards does with gerudo follow ups and that helps a lot G players.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
This is totaly useless in a tourny match. It can work like hell in friendlies, but believe me. When someone is player like serious business, they won't be catch by such mind game.
I think the problem is that people use Arrow Looping a bit too much. I don't think you should uses Arrow Loops every time; I think it should be used sparingly and at the right moment. If you use it too much, you'll be open to attack and punishment. But I think you should still use it, but use it conservatively; and even more so in tourney matches.

You mind game should be up to movimentation an mixing up your atacks. Such as spacing fair and AAA with or without an Dtilt follow up, Dthow to bair, or if doesn't work pivot grab.
I totally agree with you on this. Mixing up your attacks is a vital part of Pit's differentiation amongst the other characters. There are some combos you can use that involve Arrows. Arrows also help EXTEND your combo; of course, you have to be precise with this. In my opinion, Pit's Arrows are the Soul of Pit's game.

I could continue this list on and on.
Some one should start possible followups for each atack.
Ganons Boards does with gerudo follow ups and that helps a lot G players.
I absolutely agree with you. I have been thinking of doing something like this, but I'd have to watch even more combo videos and research combos more than I have. But I think I've come up with some clever combos. I completely agree with you that a list of combos should be created. Maybe we could create one?

Varnithis

Smash Rookie
I tried Pit randomly not long ago (previous experince with him limited to single player) and frankly, It took two games for me to love his feel.

Along with Lucario he's my new main, and I wanted to put my opinion on his rep in this thread.

I think he is underrated, after watching some videos and examining his moveset. Top 5? Eeeeeeh. He's high in Japan and some other countries, but American's in general tend to have a very "Second place is first loser" mentality, and that tends to lend to bandwagon jumpers and trends even int he best players.

So I think much of his rep problem is entirely comunity driven. Even the really good Pit players shy away form him in Tourney's because they subconciously don;t want to place bad and get a Rep hit. And I can't blame players for it either. It's something we grow up with.

I overall agree with the sentament though that nothing can be proven until we get some quality Pit rankings in tourney's.

Oh, and Arrow Looping was cool looking but it took me about five seconds to decide it was impractical as can be. Trix are for kids. :p

Yes. I know I can't spell.

Sorry to say, but you can never improve pit's reputation through results alone. MK has tournaments results, but still gets a bad rep. This kind of things transcend results alone. Moving along though.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Oh, and Arrow Looping was cool looking but it took me about five seconds to decide it was impractical as can be. Trix are for kids. :p
Thats everyones problem with arrow looping. You don't know how to use it in a fight. Your just looping and hoping to hit.

There's safe ranges where we shoot arrows similar to us curving it for the loop.

Arrow loop was denied long ago and never really discussed on improving the basics of our arrows alone.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Thats everyones problem with arrow looping. You don't know how to use it in a fight. Your just looping and hoping to hit.

There's safe ranges where we shoot arrows similar to us curving it for the loop.

Arrow loop was denied long ago and never really discussed on improving the basics of our arrows alone.
I agree with this. People usually use it too many times and are open for punishment. People also use it at the WRONG time more often.

For the sake of not starting another argument, I'm just going to say that Arrow Looping has been denied and is almost non-existent (except in combo vids).

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
Well i dont like using arrow looping unless the opponent is at a position where i need to loop the arrow and hit them but arrow looping being as a "distraction" shouldnt work on top players since you can hit pit while he is arrow looping anyway but yeah personally i think pit is really good and i dont rlly care too much about his rep personally i mean i think it sounds bttr to be called the best pit player instead of having him be a good character. ^_^ He is def. really good and has a lot of potential

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Sorry to say, but you can never improve pit's reputation through results alone. MK has tournaments results, but still gets a bad rep. This kind of things transcend results alone. Moving along though.
No, amazing results = amazing reputation. MK has a bad rep because he's so good and always places high. It's not the other way around where Pit is viewed as a bad character, but is in fact a top 10 character...we just need results to prove it.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if the other mid tiers characters think about the same.
Will it really lead to some improvement?

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
PIT IS NOW A RESPECTED CHARACTER IN THE RGV!!!!!!!!!! I PLACED PRETTY HIGH FOR THE FIRST TIME AND I DIDNT HERE A SINGLE NEGATIVE COMMENT!!!!!!!! HAHA ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!

*excited*

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
give some examples, i'm curious
things like, "Pits jabs are broken" and "Pits close up game is underrated." lol i never thought i would here that!

Videos please?
:/ i only played on random wiis so idk who has the videos :(

Oh My. No negative comments ^__^. Congrats on your win, Don. Let this be the start of not being considered a low character ^__^.
haha thx. i got 5th or 6th. ive never placed that high before so this is all kinda new to me! XD

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
things like, "Pits jabs are broken" and "Pits close up game is underrated." lol i never thought i would here that!

:/ i only played on random wiis so idk who has the videos :(

haha thx. i got 5th or 6th. ive never placed that high before so this is all kinda new to me! XD
post the results in my thread ^_^

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
RESULTS!!!!!!!

Singles:

1: Magik (MK/Diddy/Falco/PT) $88
2: Broly (Marth) $25
3: Shlike (ZSS) $12
4: Syodous (MK/DDD)
5: vorguen (Snake)
6: Don Guero (Pit)
7: CG (DK)
7: Andilex (Diddy)
9: Rei-gun (Marth)
9: Derk (G&W/Pikacho)
9: Abert (Diddy/DDD)
9: Kilik (Sheik/Falco)
13: Stevie (Snake/Olimar)
13: Bomchu (Wolf)
13: Murder (Snake)
13: Shank (Lucario/Wolf/Wario/Falco)
17: Mikey (Marth/Peach)
17: Nothx (Marth?)
17: RS (Diddy)
17: Jacob (???)
17: Drizzle (Snake/Falco)
17: Gator (G&W)
17: Sama (Pikachu/Wolf)
17: Bokkie (Kirby)
25: Jonothan (Ness)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219725&page=472

Esca

Smash Champion
WOW. That's pretty good considering how many Marth's were there. Keep up the good work ^__^!
Marth vs Pit is Pit's favor.

Anyway, I just read this thread.

There's no way Pit can ever win a national. He's not top 5 material at all. He's 9th best in the game and he will stay there. He's a 1 trick pony.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Marth vs Pit is Pit's favor.

Anyway, I just read this thread.

There's no way Pit can ever win a national. He's not top 5 material at all. He's 9th best in the game and he will stay there. He's a 1 trick pony.
Well then, I guess the match threads are misleading because last time I checked, Marth had more points than Pit. Although, Pit does have things he can do better than Marth.

And why are you saying that Pit has to stay at 9th? At least have a little faith that he can go higher.

Coffee™

I need it....
Pit won't get higher than 9th and will not win a national. His bad matchups are just so common at the higher levels of competition that the odds are seriously stacked against him.

You can definitely a Pit player at top 10 in a regional but as a stand alone character he will not win one.

Also Marth isn't bad for Pit. Not sure whose advantage it is but at a very minimum its even.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
its all about representation. if we can improve our skill then the character will move up. we cant just think that our skill is limited to the character because there are so many different styles of play. i dont believe that you can only get to a certain level with pit and just stop there. its pretty easy to say that a bad character will always be a bad character. but i choose to better yself every day and not give myself any limits whatsoever. i think more people should do the same...... in brawl and RL but thats besides the point

Coffee™

I need it....
its pretty easy to say that a bad character will always be a bad character. but i choose to better yself every day and not give myself any limits whatsoever. i think more people should do the same...... in brawl and RL but thats besides the point
When you get better you realize limitations. You can't just think because you yourself are getting better that the character will as well.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
It is true that Pit has Limitations. But there are probably ways to work around them if you look hard enough. I would just try to find more and more and more ways to work around them and IMPROVE. I think that is the goal that everyone should try to reach.

Top Bottom