• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

improving match ups (how to cover Sheiks weakness's with some characters)

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I made a new thread cuz I didn't want to have possibly two talks about match ups in the match up discussion.

Now most Sheiks don't agree with some of the match ups in the match up thread. I for one am starting to think that Sheik really doesn't have bad match ups except for IC's. She has the tools to play like a completely different character on people so the way to play certain match ups are to play a different kind of Sheik.

So lets go over the one's that people are calling a thorn in her side.

:olimar:
Now some people say he is a pain in Sheiks side.
Well lets go over what gives him and advantage.

#1 His grab

#2 His camp game

#3 He out ranges us

Now lets go over what tools we have to counter this.

His grab is usually used as an anti approach tool.
So to take care of to problems at once throw Needle's. Spam those Needle's and force him to approach us.
Also, chain camp him.
Get him up a little bit in percentage and camp him. The dude can't get at us (we kill his Pikmin).
Now the match up IMO is in our favor... and really easy.

:pikachu:
k, this dude is annoying.

His CG ***** us.. if he gets a grab at low percents. Now here is the deal, he has horrible grab range.

When the match starts charge your Needle's. From here get about 2 Needle Storms on him (I suggest Needle Boosting for charging since it is safer).
After he gets up damage throw out your chain. His only option is to attack you.. and thus get your percentage up. After you are past CG percents fight him as normal.

:luigi2:
This hasn't been given a ratio but I think Luigi hurts us.....
My solution, the chain. We destroy fire balls with it. Fight him normally, but throw out a chain often.

:popo: and the other guy
Now this is the match up that hurts us... really bad.
So lets look at what the IC's do to us and do they need to do to accomplish their goal.

#1 The CG
Their CG is EASIER to do on us.

#2 They are a they. It is harder to combo them since Nana helps to keep this from happening.

#3 They can desync to grab us.

Now lets go over their camping options.

Blizzard and Ice Blocks
Pretty easy to get around.
So they can't make us approach, so they need to approach us.

How do they get a grab on us?

By desyncing

How do we keep them from desyncing?

Throwing Needle's

So we counter what they can do and they counter what we can do. Only deference is they punish us WAY harder.
So what do we have that counters them?

Chain, at the ledge
Really and truly. They have no options to get them back onto the stage when you chain camp them at the ledge.
So now the idea of this match up is to get them over the ledge.

How can we do this?

Needle get them up damage. However, so does an offensive chain.
People think "chain is a camping tool" or "chain lock is pretty good, good luck getting them into the chain though".
Well the idea at an offensive chain is to try and hit people with the tip at a far range.
We can short hop chain the IC's with no punishment. You might even keep it out there to get them to try and hit you.
Last time I checked the only thing that they have to get us out of the chain is the end hit box of Blizzard. That does I think maybe 3%. Our chain tip does 5%.

So now we can counter what they are doing, if we play smart. If they want to spam grabs we will spam Ninja Tools.

We you can get a carefully placed Bair on them, Needle their second jump if you can and/or chain them at the ledge.

Now what is you opinion on this match up. Mine is that it will take FOREVER, but they shouldn't be able to grab you.

This is not a match up discussion, thus we will not put numbers to these match ups. We will wait until next match up discussion and then apply the counters that have been learned here to that one.

I need opinions, corrections, discussion and maybe even some not flamey debating.
Well, what is you opinion on the above and how to make these match ups more in our favor.

clowsui

Smash Legend
vs. ics the problem with getting hit by anything isn't so much % tradeoff as getting hit out of something and getting grabbed for it.

saviorslegacy

vs. ics the problem with getting hit by anything isn't so much % tradeoff as getting hit out of something and getting grabbed for it.
A well spaced Bair is hard to grab. Thing is, chain is extremely difficult to grab. The only way they could pull this off is if they send Nana out to grab you after the tip of Blizzard lands. During which you will hit Nana if she is sent to soon and if they do space it right and time it right you can retreat> DA their missed grab. Now they are in the air.

Judo777

Smash Master
I actually really like the pikachu idea of trying to rack up safe dmg then chain camping until he gets u over those percents where he can grab. Get him over 50% then camp could work. However didnt much care for the other solutions. Chaining luigi at the ledge is amazing but i have never stopped a luigi fire ball with the chain and thats the way i generally get stopped from camping him off stage i play alot of luigis and if im wrong and we can then that is a good tip too.

However the other two not so big a fan. We CANNOT outcamp olimar if he knows what hes doing needles will hit his pikmin instead. We have to apporach olimar and chain camping doesnt work either cause he can grab us out of it. And concerning the IC's we also have to approach them. Blizzard and Ice blocks maybe be easy to get around but as long as they are spitting out ice blocks we cant hit him with needles quick enough. And they spit them out faster esppecially if desynched, which they can desynch the exact second the match starts and spam ice blocks. we have to approach them no questions about that.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Sadly I've found that the chain does not work well VS Olimar at all since he has all the tools needed to beat it.

With super armor on his whistle he can effectively cross over and attack from behind with his long range attacks and unless F up can't be gimp by it either. The exception is on his tether recovery but I would hope everyone know that chain ***** tether if done correctly.

The major problem though is that when using a blue pikman he can grab us out of are chain camp. It really makes zero sense we can jab them away but for some reason even while I do a chain lock motion I've been grab out of my chain camp every single time.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
we cant needle spam olimar either since he rakes up more damage on us than we do on him. especially considering we cant jump and use our projectile (well).
I find d-smash is great on IC, it always tends to separate them, since ICs like to spam grab, if we could get in and avoid the grab then d-smash immediately, we can then kill of nana. However this is much easier said than done.

Treat olimar like link, fake your approaches but when you get in, be as aggressive as possible. olimar is very susceptible to f-tilt combos which usually lead to sending him of the stage

EDIT: Reads topic only to find out most of what I have said has already been said. (not everything though XP)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well I might as well make myself useful for a moment and study my data a bit before I read the next chap in class this will also be useful to you guys if you understand it.

According to my data on ftilt nonsense pika and meta knight weight is very similar so ftilt combos works the same so learning their numbers is especially useful because both aren't really good match ups for us. The difference in the numbers is when the usmash can kill and their DI.

A couple notes in my data which you can find in my thread is such things like
Fresh
You can start doing ftilt into jabs at 12%
You can start doing ftilt into dsmash at 21%
You can start doing ftilt into tilts combos and dash attack at 25%
You can start doing ftilt into grab at 30%
You can start doing ftilt into nair at 34%
You can start doing ftilt into Uair, Bair, needle storm at 38%
You can start doing ftilt into fair at 43%
You can start doing ftilt into Usmash at 52%
You can start doing Ftilt into Fsmash at 56% ~ although I would think it would miss.
These's only work if the Ftilt is fresh.

I was bored so I gather some numbers as well
+2 Jab
12% fresh
15 +3%
17 +2%
18 +1%
20 +2%
+4 Dsmash
21% fresh
25 +4%
27 +3%
30 +3%
32 +2%
+5 Tilts and dash attack
25% fresh
29 +4%
32 +3%
35 +3%
38 +3%
+7 Nair
34% fresh
39 +5%
43 +4%
47 +4%
50 +3%
+9 Fair
43% fresh
49+6%
54+4%
58+4%
62+4%
+11 Usmash
52% fresh
59 +7%
64 +5%
69 +5%
74 +5%
+14 frame Usmash
65% fresh
74 +9%
80 +6%
86 +6%
92 +6%

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol fighting Olimar is a lot more complex than "throw needles and the matchup swings in Sheiks favor". You need to get inside of Oli and stay inside of him. If you have a percentage lead you can try to camp him but his aerials are disjointed and a pain for Sheik to deal with so it's wiser imo to just play the matchup agressive most of the time. His grab is slow as **** so as long as you are aware to use fast attacks OoS and not run into any pivot grabs his grab isn't a huge issue.

The key to the Luigi matchup is utilt and a lot of dash shields. Big spacing matchup you should be focusing on a lot of baiting in this matchup. He also kills Sheik too early so you have to be extra careful in this matchup with getting grabbed and watching your spotdodges. one predicted spotdodge could get you firepunched.

Pikachu and Ice Climbers I am just planning on starting with Zelda if I ever run into one so I have nothing to comment on about those matchups.

iLight

Smash Lord
i also disagree with the olimar match up, and with marsulas to some degree.

I think to answer to beating olimar is like saviors said and use needles to trade a little bit of his pikmin damage for a full needle clip. Then as long as you avoid fighting on stages with no platforms, the idea is to camp the platform spamming nairs etc to destroy the pikmin he throws at you. At a certain he point he will have to pause in his pikmin throwing and pull out more, depending on he accomplishes this and his positioning at that point in time. When he starts pulling those pikmin, that's when you play aggressive and get in on him, hopefully with him maybe at most having like half his pikmin out or something. Once close the best option will be to aerial once your in his grab range, since nair/fair beat out most of his smashes and clink with his aerials. Then you follow that with either grab to punish/follow up pressure hopefully leading to a gimp or too big a lead then you just go back to camping the platform for a long time or rinse and repeat =]

I agree with marsulas on the luigi matchup other than that u-tilt is the key, u-tilt doesn't neccesarily have the right priority to prevent luigi from doing a lot of his aerials to you, better option i think is the approaching fair>jab>f-tilt>nair which is virtually unpunishable by luigi. Also idk how many times i have to say that i love to bait people into trying to punish the f-tilt "spam" by buffering a sheild out of an f-tilt which = auto powershield then you get to punish however you want.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
his pikmin pull is incredibility fast though. and most good olimars mix pull into their game meaning they will only ever be pulling 2 pikmin max and even then they will have pikmin at the ready to punish as soon as you come in.

saviorslegacy

Lol fighting Olimar is a lot more complex than "throw needles and the matchup swings in Sheiks favor". You need to get inside of Oli and stay inside of him. If you have a percentage lead you can try to camp him but his aerials are disjointed and a pain for Sheik to deal with so it's wiser imo to just play the matchup agressive most of the time. His grab is slow as **** so as long as you are aware to use fast attacks OoS and not run into any pivot grabs his grab isn't a huge issue.

The key to the Luigi matchup is utilt and a lot of dash shields. Big spacing matchup you should be focusing on a lot of baiting in this matchup. He also kills Sheik too early so you have to be extra careful in this matchup with getting grabbed and watching your spotdodges. one predicted spotdodge could get you firepunched.

Pikachu and Ice Climbers I am just planning on starting with Zelda if I ever run into one so I have nothing to comment on about those matchups.
You are missing that what you are saying is a part of what Light and I are saying (or at least me).
Force the sucker to approach and then he in close where we can do damage to him.
i also disagree with the olimar match up, and with marsulas to some degree.

I think to answer to beating olimar is like saviors said and use needles to trade a little bit of his pikmin damage for a full needle clip. Then as long as you avoid fighting on stages with no platforms, the idea is to camp the platform spamming nairs etc to destroy the pikmin he throws at you. At a certain he point he will have to pause in his pikmin throwing and pull out more, depending on he accomplishes this and his positioning at that point in time. When he starts pulling those pikmin, that's when you play aggressive and get in on him, hopefully with him maybe at most having like half his pikmin out or something. Once close the best option will be to aerial once your in his grab range, since nair/fair beat out most of his smashes and clink with his aerials. Then you follow that with either grab to punish/follow up pressure hopefully leading to a gimp or too big a lead then you just go back to camping the platform for a long time or rinse and repeat =]

I agree with marsulas on the luigi matchup other than that u-tilt is the key, u-tilt doesn't neccesarily have the right priority to prevent luigi from doing a lot of his aerials to you, better option i think is the approaching fair>jab>f-tilt>nair which is virtually unpunishable by luigi. Also idk how many times i have to say that i love to bait people into trying to punish the f-tilt "spam" by buffering a sheild out of an f-tilt which = auto powershield then you get to punish however you want.
Better idea for BF IMO.

u-tilt= anti air move
Luigi= air.. head
his pikmin pull is incredibility fast though. and most good olimars mix pull into their game meaning they will only ever be pulling 2 pikmin max and even then they will have pikmin at the ready to punish as soon as you come in.
He has no protection during Pikmin pull. Thus a full Needle Storm (18%) will hurt him. We can also try and follow up with DA or DACUS to put him in a bad position.

Olimar is simply a camper. To win play his game or he will win (unless he like sucks).

On a side note.... we have Saltus combo on him. I wouldn't attempt it unless you are really good at it, but then again that is him at 30% > death.
You can perform Saltus on BF BTW. Just fall through the platform. It makes a hard combo harder though.

Judo777

Smash Master
I have to disagree u can't out camp olimar. He can safely pull out pikmin with no fear of punishment because when he throws a pikmin and its coming back it will take all of the needles so as long as he plucks while one pikmin is coming back u cant hit him with needles. U can try and jab and nair the pikmin off but every time he throws the purple u get a solid 10 dmg with knock back. Plus u have to be careful jumping cause a good olimr gets a free grab if u jump within range. The only way i can see u punishing his pikmmin pluck is if your fast enough to DACUS on reaction and if u mess up he gets a grab. If you are in DA range then you are close enough that he doesn't need to jump to throw which mean he can block

iLight

Smash Lord
i would show more what i was talking about, but my matches vs zori wern't recorded

just some things i would like to say, is needles work more often than you think in that match up, not often, but sometimes, and also if the olimar doing the camping both you and I are describing you can fairly easily predict him. So you "force" him to do that camping by first camping yourself, then very carefully approach, read his attack then jump in and aerial to start your combo

Judo777

Smash Master
Oh i completely agree with u on the aspect of doing certain things to make is camping more predictable like using needles to force him to spam more. I was merely stating that u really can't force olimar to approach. But u can force him to do certain things that give u openings ofc.

Top Bottom