• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your MK: Tactics, Theory-crafting, & More!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
You short hop,put in the controller commands for fair,and then fast fall.
Nair*
So basically:
1- Flick the analog stick up
2- Press "A" as soon as the analog stick is at neutral position
3- Press down on the analog stick. Therefore, the Nair should be low enough to hit every single character.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Nair*
So basically:
1- Flick the analog stick up
2- Press "A" as soon as the analog stick is at neutral position
3- Press down on the analog stick. Therefore, the Nair should be low enough to hit every single character.
:metaknight: You have to buffer,but if they are low enough that you cannot hit them you should use Dtilt to raise them up or make them jump to retreat.You should use Fair if it's damage and nair as a high percent kill move.Although at low percents down throw into nair is a good option.

Here's the thing...about killing
Option 1)Down Smash - it's always predicted and you're opponent can just stay in the air but this is where Nair comes in handy.

Option 2)Grounded Shuttle Loop - it kills characters such as :kirby2: and :jigglypuff: early.

but there is another use for Nair (let's say you are on :battlefieldb: and you are facing that Zelda).

If Zelda is on a platform above you you can Uair juggle and Nair finisher.

As for gimping and you are ready to knock them away so you can recover you should use a fresh nair for the following reasons : Fair doesn't send them too far and Dair could accidentally send then the opposite direction (assuming you just went offstage).

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
:metaknight: You have to buffer,but if they are low enough that you cannot hit them you should use Dtilt to raise them up or make them jump to retreat.You should use Fair if it's damage and nair as a high percent kill move.Although at low percents down throw into nair is a good option.

Here's the thing...about killing
Option 1)Down Smash - it's always predicted and you're opponent can just stay in the air but this is where Nair comes in handy.

Option 2)Grounded Shuttle Loop - it kills characters such as :kirby2: and :jigglypuff: early.

but there is another use for Nair (let's say you are on :battlefieldb: and you are facing that Zelda).

If Zelda is on a platform above you you can Uair juggle and Nair finisher.

As for gimping and you are ready to knock them away so you can recover you should use a fresh nair for the following reasons : Fair doesn't send them too far and Dair could accidentally send then the opposite direction (assuming you just went offstage).
I usually down-smash as a punisher (Ex: I use down smash after I shielded the opponent's attacks which have enough ending lagg that they can't shield in time). Honestly, I rarely kill with Nair. I have no idea why, but I rarely use it. I mostly use Nair after a dash attack which end's had hit the opponent, making the opponent right on top of me which is a perfect position to Nair.
Couple of questions in mind:
1- What's the difference between a "fresh" N-air, and just a regular Nair. Does the word fresh indicate the initial startup hitbox of the aerial? Because the term fresh D-air is used to knock Snake out of his Cypher, which has worked in my case.
2- Let's say you're in a Metaknight Ditto MU. One Metaknight is Drill rushing to the edge to grab it, and at the same time you're using Tornado. Tornado's bottom hitbox will outprioritize the Drill rush, which cancels the other Metaknight's Drill rush and gets him damaged by the tornado. Is this correct? Or does Drill rush outprioritize Tornado?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Moves stale when used multiple times in Brawl, making them weaker and weaker the more they are used."Fresh" refers to a move that wasn't used recently (within the last 10 successful Different-input (non-multi-hit) moves).

When people refer to the strongest hitbox, they call it "Sweetspotted".

Priority of Mach Tornado is a pretty bizarre concept, I'm not sure how to describe it, but basically yeah, as long as MK doesn't get hit, an Aerial Mach Tornado will very likely beat other moves.

Oh, and connecting a Dair to an offstage opponent is always good (but pretty difficult to do consistently). If it doesn't right-off kill or definitely gimp, it at least gives you a very good positional advantage.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Moves stale when used multiple times in Brawl, making them weaker and weaker the more they are used."Fresh" refers to a move that wasn't used recently (within the last 10 successful Different-input (non-multi-hit) moves).
Let's say I used an Up-tilt with Snake 7 times in a row without hitting anyone, and then I hit a Metaknight who's ratio is 100% with an uptilt immediately after I used my 7th uptilt. Does that mean that the uptilt will not be able to kill Metaknight? If a move is stale, the knockout potential is decreased by the damage output remains the same, correct? Does a move stale even if it didn't connect to an opponent/item?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Let's say I used an Up-tilt with Snake 7 times in a row without hitting anyone, and then I hit a Metaknight who's ratio is 100% with an uptilt immediately after I used my 7th uptilt. Does that mean that the uptilt will not be able to kill Metaknight? If a move is stale, the knockout potential is decreased by the damage output remains the same, correct? Does a move stale even if it didn't connect to an opponent/item?
Attack decay is caused only by hitting hurtboxes (e.g. characters, pikmin, etc.) and causes both lower damage and knockback. The more recent a move is in the nine slot queue the more it is affected by attack decay.

Exdeath

Smash Master
A detailed example on a the slots of a decaying move, and regarding stale attacks in general.
Knockback is affected by the damage of the attack.

Attack A does 10%, then 9%, then 8%... 7%, 7%, 6%, 6%, 6%, 6%

Attack B does 10%, 9%, then 8%, then 8%, then Attack A does 8%.

As far as I know there is not a known formula that is universally applicable, so I can't really tell you how to predict it. Most guides have a list of the stale moves (for example, MK's Ftilt hardly stales at all).

The most important aspects of this that of clashing, and a specific example that comes to mind is that once DK Ftilts MK twice, it won't break through MK's Neutral B anymore and MK can just space with it to bully DK into being hit and then juggled or being off-stage.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
The more recent a move is in the nine slot queue the more it is affected by attack decay.
Sorry, this is actually wrong. It's just how often the move is. If d-smash is in the queue once as #1 or once as #8 it's the same decay.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
So a move should never be spammed in order for it to not stale. Does a move stale even if it hits an opponent's shield? Or does it actually have to connect with the opponent hurtbox and apply damage in order to stale? Assuming a character used Attack "A" five times and it stales. If the character waits 10 seconds and uses Attack "A" again, will it be fresh again? Or should the character use attacks other than Attack "A" in order to remove Attack "A"'s stale?

Exdeath

Smash Master
So a move should never be spammed in order for it to not stale. Does a move stale even if it hits an opponent's shield? Or does it actually have to connect with the opponent hurtbox and apply damage in order to stale? Assuming a character used Attack "A" five times and it stales. If the character waits 10 seconds and uses Attack "A" again, will it be fresh again? Or should the character use attacks other than Attack "A" in order to remove Attack "A"'s stale?
Moves don't stale if they hit someone's shield. Most multi-hit attacks only count as one move slot. The only ways to clear slots are to end the stock or to fill the slots with another move, thus filling the move slots.

Some attacks are better when stale because they allow for more combos (e.g. Lucario's Fair, Sheik's Ftilt, etc.).

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Moves don't stale if they hit someone's shield. Most multi-hit attacks only count as one move slot. The only ways to clear slots are to end the stock or to fill the slots with another move, thus filling the move slots.

Some attacks are better when stale because they allow for more combos (e.g. Lucario's Fair, Sheik's Ftilt, etc.).
Logically, a Metaknight who used 10 D-smashes in a row and damaged Snake up to 150% shouldn't rely on D-smash to kill Snake and should go for other options such as grounded SL or SH Nair etc.. Correct?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Logically, a Metaknight who used 10 D-smashes in a row and damaged Snake up to 150% shouldn't rely on D-smash to kill Snake and should go for other options such as grounded SL or SH Nair etc.. Correct?
At neutral, no, and that is the general answer to your question.

With that said, Brawl is a very dynamic game and it depends on the context (e.g. at the edge of a blastzone or if it causes a stage spike).

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
At neutral, no
A D-smash is a good option to kill even though it's staled, but other options line Nair and Grounded SL have a higher chance of killing Snake due to D-smashes staleness.

Exdeath

Smash Master
A D-smash is a good option to kill even though it's staled, but other options line Nair and Grounded SL have a higher chance of killing Snake due to D-smashes staleness.
If your opponent has good DI and is good at landing, heavy weights in general shouldn't die before 160% with Dsmash fresh. Depending on how stale it is, I have had it not kill past 200%. Conceptually speaking, Meta Knight does not kill Snake outright at neutral, but rather by putting him in a position that allows him to be hit near a blast zone with a mobile kill move such as Uair, Dair, Nair, or Up-B. Depending on how you play the match-up, Neutral B is as valid a kill move as Dsmash.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Sorry, this is actually wrong. It's just how often the move is. If d-smash is in the queue once as #1 or once as #8 it's the same decay.
How is this true when D3's infinite on Mario and co is dependent on d-throw's positioning in the queue.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
If your opponent has good DI and is good at landing, heavy weights in general shouldn't die before 160% with Dsmash fresh. Depending on how stale it is, I have had it not kill past 200%. Conceptually speaking, Meta Knight does not kill Snake outright at neutral, but rather by putting him in a position that allows him to be hit near a blast zone.
Alright, thanks for the assistance.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
As I recall, DDD's infinite relies on the ability to keep less than six Dthrows in the move queue.
No, you can have 6 in the queue as long as they're #2, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8 (or is it #2, #4, #6, #7, #8, #9...)

You can test it yourself, after the 1st five (or four, my memory's foggy) you only need to pummel once between each d-throw to keep the infinite going.

/but D3's d-throw is set-knocback so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some other factor affecting that, but my intuition still opposes what NickRiddle claimed

Edit: Blegh my original numbers were wrong because I was saying d-throw stales itself on the same action which it obviously doesn't, fixed.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Let's say you hit a peach with down smash (fresh) it will do more damage and send them further but if you do a missed Dsmash 6 times and hit them with the 7th it won't send them as far as the first.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Let's say you hit a peach with down smash (fresh) it will do more damage and send them further but if you do a missed Dsmash 6 times and hit them with the 7th it won't send them as far as the first.
I thought just missing the D-smash won't stale. Exdeath stated that the attack must connect with the opponent's hurtbox in order to stale:
Attack decay is caused only by hitting hurtboxes (e.g. characters, pikmin, etc.) and causes both lower damage and knockback. The more recent a move is in the nine slot queue the more it is affected by attack decay.

Exdeath

Smash Master
This is incorrect.

I thought just missing the D-smash won't stale. Exdeath stated that the attack must connect with the opponent's hurtbox in order to stale:
This is partially correct, except that it can also stale on things with hurtboxes like Diddy's peanuts.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
This is partially correct, except that it can also stale on things with hurtboxes like Diddy's peanuts.
Does this also apply to Capsules, Crates, and items in general? It is also effected by Pikmins I presume.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Yeah, have been doing that lately, but once I hear my opponent mash his controller I try D/B-throwing asap.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey guys, I have two important questions.
1. I see Mew2king using D-air instead of Up-air when he momentum cancels vertically, but most Metaknights would use Up-air. What is better to use in the end regarding vertical aerial MC, is it Up-air or D-air?

2. What is the best thing to do against a Diddy Kong who throws a banana at you and then D-smashes or grabs immediately?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Hey guys, I have two important questions.
1. I see Mew2king using D-air instead of Up-air when he momentum cancels vertically, but most Metaknights would use Up-air. What is better to use in the end regarding vertical aerial MC, is it Up-air or D-air?

2. What is the best thing to do against a Diddy Kong who throws a banana at you and then D-smashes or grabs immediately?
It's better to use U-air. Top-level players tend to pick silly options when they're playing for no discernable reason. I've seen players do no MCing on kill moves they could've easily lived.

What situation is the banana getting thrown at you? Does it hit your shield? Hit you in the air? Hit you on the ground and make you trip?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It's better to use U-air. Top-level players tend to pick silly options when they're playing for no discernable reason. I've seen players do no MCing on kill moves they could've easily lived.

What situation is the banana getting thrown at you? Does it hit your shield? Hit you in the air? Hit you on the ground and make you trip?
Hits you on the shield

TKD

Smash Lord
Hits you on the shield
I'm guessing he's glide tossing a banana peel into your shield and ending up close enough to execute the grab/dsmash.

If your opponent is being that one-dimensional about his approach, a simple spot-dodge counters either of those options.

You could also try rolling forward as soon as you block the banana and baiting him for any action or immediately assaulting him.

I'm also confident that upb from block will hit him before his cool-down frames are over, at least if he used a smash- or side-toss (I think they can standing toss out of glide for lower cool-down).

Also, you could maybe full hop while catching the peel, toss it down at him and improvise; but I haven't played enough lately to confirm this as a valid counter.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Actually I'll argue that tap jump off is better if you're playing MK. Mainly because you get more precise Up Bs which can make a big difference in your gameplay.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I personally have no problems in executing a precise shuttle loop, played smash a lot to mix an UpB with a jump :p

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
hey guys I have recently figured out that I am naturally good at mk so good I get tech skill and tips and trick from you guys:metaknight:

Last edited:
Top Bottom