• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Threads + Q&A

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have trouble with tap jump but never use it anyway so I have no practice with it. That said, Link's easier to use with tap jump off.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I have trouble with tap jump but never use it anyway so I have no practice with it. That said, Link's easier to use with tap jump off.
Everyone is probably easier with tap jump off. I always used it because I would use it in certain situations.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
lol I find it weird that I alternate from tap jump to X for jumping. I don't know why I do it. I just find tap jump to be useful in certain situations (Like I said earlier).

Also I've been training my Link. Unknown5 and Arizen were right about me spacing and whatnot. Once I started to correct my spacing with Link, I started to get a better advantage over my opponent. Not to mention spamming projectiles is fun. loool

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hey linkz. Just want to ask what specifics you think i should know about your character? I can already do all the tosses, invinci****, and the likes are there any necessary or pretty useful at's i should worry about? Or other general things?

Great vids to watch?

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Hey linkz. Just want to ask what specifics you think i should know about your character? I can already do all the tosses, invinci****, and the likes are there any necessary or pretty useful at's i should worry about? Or other general things?

Great vids to watch?
In general, you need to know what Link can do and cannot do. (Of course, you should know this about all of your mains). Link also seems to take A LOT of time in order to get decent with him. Mainly because he's such a hard character to use correctly. In my opinion I think you should watch your own matches and compare them to other matches from better Link players. Take note of what you're doing wrong in your replays with Link as well. (Basically, check out the video thread that Dyclone linked)

Also, make sure you take advantage of your projectiles. Link can spam his opponents fairly easily depending on how effective you use Link's equipment. Not only that, know which of Link's attacks are the fastest and slowest so you know which move is the best choice in a specific situation.

We know Link is a bad character though. However I believe I speak for some of us when I say that we play with Link because we think he's a cool character and he's fun to use. B-)

Rizen

Smash Legend
LINK IS ALL ABOUT SPACING!!! Tip-of-attack spacing is very important for Link.

He has a billion ATs but only a few are must know. Like:

Anything ledgehop
Zair tether edge hogging
Arrow locks and jab locks + setups.
Jab canceling
Anything involving bombs- including footstool bomb combos and Zair or Fsmash with a bomb in hand.
Quickdraw arrows
Reverse arrows (in the air tap backward then 'B' right after)
Landing reverse jabs (like when you Bair then tap backwards before you land and jab in that direction)
DAC isn't great, like Sheik's or Snake's:glare:, but it is good if used sparingly.

Also make good use of DI because it basically IS Link's recovery. Landing canceling air attacks are a big part of Link's game. Using attacks, like Zair or Nair (but all Link's standard attacks work), to eat weak-medium priority range attacks.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I can already do everything but quickdraw which is mostly timing so i'll have to go find a video. I'll see if i can get some vids next weekend :)

Ya i cry when ganon has better recovery than me :(

Use to having wings or helicopters here. LOL.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I can already do everything but quickdraw which is mostly timing so i'll have to go find a video. I'll see if i can get some vids next weekend :)

Ya i cry when ganon has better recovery than me :(

Use to having wings or helicopters here. LOL.
lol yeah Link's recovery is just bawwwwlllzzzzz.
He was so amazing in Melee. Now he just sucks.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
It makes me sad cuz ik he'd be so damn good with just a better recovery. I mean...even a better double jump would help :( that thing barely moves him =/

But then i couldn't use him for low tiers :awesome:

Rizen

Smash Legend
It makes me sad cuz ik he'd be so damn good with just a better recovery. I mean...even a better double jump would help :( that thing barely moves him =/

But then i couldn't use him for low tiers :awesome:
Link's double jump is the 2nd worst in the game only beating Peach's in height. But Peach can float so it's not a problem for her.
Link's low double jump also make ledge hop attacks have very strict timing and most likely mean death if the player messes up:urg:.

I would say Link's lag is his biggest problem, though.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Link's jabs, Utilt, and aerials (counting Zair) do it well enough for me.

I have a question; what can Link do to cover landings? I want to do more than Dtilt and Dsmash...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have a question; what can Link do to cover landings? I want to do more than Dtilt and Dsmash...
He can:
fast fall Nair so it lands behind the opponent
Drop a bomb so he can PS it as he lands
Throw a bomb down
a lot of tricks involving bombs...
Zair near the ground is a good tactic
quickdraw an arrow if the opponent's far enough away
time a Fair or Bair so the second hit comes out right before Link lands
fast fall an air dodge past the ledge then Zair tether it out of the dodge
If Link has his second jump, act like you're landing then jump and attack from the side or pull a bomb.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Not that it's not appreciated (it really is), but by "cover landings" I meant when the opponent, is landing and I'm trying do something when they land.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Not that it's not appreciated (it really is), but by "cover landings" I meant when the opponent, is landing and I'm trying do something when they land.
I believe you can shoot out an arrow and actually hit them, if you time it just right. Not sure though. I haven't actually experimented with landing punishes.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Bomb can work sometimes.

If your close enough UpB can cover a landing sometimes, along with Fsmash. I've done it before.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I believe you can shoot out an arrow and actually hit them, if you time it just right. Not sure though. I haven't actually experimented with landing punishes.
Usually when I'm trying to punish landings, I'm at least at midrange. The arrow does give a good push. If they jump over my arc of spam, I could use it there to push them back.

Bomb can work sometimes.

If your close enough UpB can cover a landing sometimes, along with Fsmash. I've done it before.
UpB is a rare move for me to use unless I'm trying something, and Fsmash sounds good. Bombs usually send them up, but too low for me to do anything with that. Sounds good, I'll try that

Rizen

Smash Legend
Punishing landings

Arrows do work because all landings have vulnerable lag frames, I'm not sure how many, but since charged arrows are so fast it's difficult to time. Obviously reflector covered landings are immune to arrows.

One mindgame that Ryu pointed out is use bombs and Fsmash. bombs travel relatively slow and explode so even if the opponent airdodges, throwing a bomb right before they land will probably hit them. And bombs launch up so they reset the situation and Link can juggle or try to punish the next landing.
Since Link can Fsmash with a bomb you can fsmash instead for KOs. I've done this with Fox, stand at the tip of Fsmash's reach, holding a bomb, and if they reflector stall then Fsmash them as they land (haha).

Bombs cannot have their movement changed by reflectors if the bomb is traveling strait up or down (up throw/down throw/drop) and explosions hurt everyone. Depending on the platform situation you can jump over the opponent>throw a bomb down>Dair or Nair.

For opponents with bad air mobility, stand where they must land-this is important because many opponents can simply swerve around this and punish- and charge a ground spin attack. The charging and long attack time punishes airdodge landings well even if the stall a little. (This can be good vs roll-behind-you and spotdodge happy players too).
Usmash also works if you're sure you can hit.
Similarly there's bomb slides but they're rarely the best option.

Utilt's probable the safest option in general, it hits farther behind Link than in front and ends relatively fast.

Uair is great for high platform pokes, like the top BF platform. It can KO but is weak enough to juggle too. If you jump high enough to avoid the landing lag you can follow up with a different landing punisher if you miss, like Utilt.
Throw bombs up to force the opponent to move into your uair.
Uair's long reach and constant attack beats almost every Dair in the game or at least clashes with them when spaced right. It's good vs Bowser's DownB.

If you're feeling bold or desperate, Dair has wicked power and 51 strait frames of attack. This is more than enough to punish any airdodge and landing lag. It can be a good but risky option if the opponent is landing on or dropping through a platform above you.
Nair is a wimpier but safe, landing canceling version of this punish method.

Dash attack for a quick surprise attack from a far or DAC if you can hit and not be punished.

If the opponent's attacking as they fall, like Snake's Bair or Nair etc, you can always shield grab after shielding the hit.

Ftilt has good reach above and in front of Link, it can KO, and ends as fast as Fsmash 1 does. I know, Ftilt looks slower but the first hitbubbles appear above Link as he swings 1 frame later than Fsmash starts then they last for 4 frames as Link brings his sword down and the move IASA the same frame Fsmash 1 does, so it's almost as fast.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
That's a lot of information so I have no idea on what to comment on, but I certainly got something from it

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sorry for been a complete noob but what can Link have when he air release's mk?
I'm not sure.
Because Link's grab mechanics, the only times you'll air release an opponent is if they're mashing jump and break free during Link's pummel or if you grab them with the 'grab bubble' that appears on Link's hand when they are not over the ground (like if Snake uses his upB offstage, close to the ledge).
Some stage changes can force an air release too, like on PS1 etc.

So I've never had an air release happen with MK. The only air releases I've seen are grabbing Sonic/Snake/G&W as they upB recover then waiting without pummeling until they break free because they can't jump or use recovery special moves (Snake can still C4 of course) and I've seen Ness/Lucas players intentionally air release by mashing jump as I pummeled them to avoid Link's guaranteed ground release Dsmash/jab.

MasterKurei

Smash Apprentice
What would be a good secondary for Link? Nothing big like DDK or Snake something that you still need to put somework into i like that oh and cool At's :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
What would be a good secondary for Link? Nothing big like DDK or Snake something that you still need to put somework into i like that oh and cool At's :)
(You mean 'DDD'?)
A lot of Links use Martha. Pika covers bad MUs, but then you'll stop using Link. ALSM uses ToonLink and Legen uses ZSS in some tourneys. It's a question of how broken or not broken do you want your secondary to be because Link has mainly bad MUs :urg:.
G&W covers most bad MUs except he has a lot of bad high tier MUs himself.
On the low tier end:
Zelda vaguely covers MUs like DDD and ICs but being in the lowest tier has a disadvantage vs almost everyone.

...:glare: the way Brawl is, even with MK banned, it's hard to counter high tiers without picking another high tier:urg:. Most mid to high tier characters will be better at most MUs than Link and low tiers usually suck at most MUs besides a few so picking a secondary is hard to say. Go with someone you like is my advice. Maybe other Link mains can shed more light on the subject.

My Link's way better than my other characters but even so some of my secondaries have such better MUs that they do as well vs certain characters.
I use G&W or Zelda for chain grabbers like DDD, Wolf for space animals, Olimar and MK and Link for everyone. But there's no good logic to who I play besides I like them.

Sorry for such a vague answer.

MasterKurei

Smash Apprentice
Lol i mean DiddyKong,and no dont worry i like how you explain this to me lol but i dont know maybe a i might just go all Link lol.But going Zelda is not bad since DDD really does **** Link. But again i dont know lol.

Capuchon

Smash Cadet
I have a question (and i will try to say that english, so, tell me if you don't understand).

I wonder if for link, is better to "camp" with all his projectiles when the opponent don't have projectiles, or coming to melee, and use the projectiles but sometimes ?

I hope not to make any mistakes in English xD.

Thanks ´

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have a question (and i will try to say that english, so, tell me if you don't understand).

I wonder if for link, is better to "camp" with all his projectiles when the opponent don't have projectiles, or coming to melee, and use the projectiles but sometimes ?

I hope not to make any mistakes in English xD.

Thanks ´
Link can camp for a short time but the opponent will approach him soon. For the most part, Link's projectiles are used for spacing and to start attack chains. Link should always make use of his projectiles but he ends up fighting at mid-range while moving, usually in short hops. Link's sword attacks are slow and projectiles help him land hits.

Force approaches by camping using all 3 projectiles and switch to a mix of melee attacks and projectiles when the opponent comes close.

Capuchon

Smash Cadet
Another question,

How can we use the arrow of Link ? Edgeguard ? Spacing ? Camp ?

I don't know how use it, however, how to better use it.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Another question,

How can we use the arrow of Link ? Edgeguard ? Spacing ? Camp ?

I don't know how use it, however, how to better use it.
Tough one... Arrows are probably my favorite projectile against Fox and Snake.

Arrows are best used when far from the opponent, this is because of the how laggy the arrow is. You want to be at mid-range with Link, for this reason, arrows are not used much.
For arrows I'd say use them when you are forced to camp from afar. Arrows are pretty good to use against a landing opponent due to the speed, low trajectory and decent knockback. These tactics require a little charging to reach the opponent.

When using arrows in the air, try to use the arrow in a way that doesn't limit you to landing. For example, when you jump, you can buffer an arrow and have these options: jump, land and/or use the move of your choice. If you use the arrow before you land, you would be limited to landing and being unable to do anything until the animation ends. Use arrow cancels if you want, though.

Because of the arrow's infinite charge, you can use the arrow to pressure and stall for a short time. I wrote something on this, but I don't feel like copying and pasting it (or showing it:urg:).

While edge guarding, I feel it's best to not try too hard with the arrow, but it's a good move to use on characters with slow or predictable recoveries (Lucas/Falco(UpB and SideB)), momentum based recoveries (Link/Bowser) or recoveries with little ^vertical or <-horizontal gain (DK/Ike). I didn't list them all, these are just some. I think if you want to edge guard, it's best to go offstage to do it.

Tell me if you don't understand, I'm not good with these sort of things.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Adding to what Dyclone said:

Arrows can and usually should be used in combination with Link's other projectiles; this way you can spam the most projectiles at once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...feature=player_detailpage&v=_CbZL2ndUI0#t=97s
5 seconds
Arrows are Link's fastest projectile and can be used when holding a bomb so you have the bomb saved for later. Also for a quick lag punisher like at 2:39.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUBlc1aYEJlv6Kcq6gbC1K7w&feature=player_detailpage&v=_CbZL2ndUI0#t=151s
2:31-2:40 (that won't link to the specific time for some reason)
They're quick and curve down as they fly so arrows will cover the area in front of and slightly below Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=Yz5K2DGfzlk#t=105s
4 secs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=JpFb2s2H7OY#t=297s
Like Dyclone said, arrow canceling or 'quickdraws' cover landings if the opponent is a little too far to Zair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=Yz5K2DGfzlk#t=219s
3secs
Arrows are timed to work with Links other projectiles and can help edgeguard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=Yz5K2DGfzlk#t=303s
They stop Space animal's sideB recoveries and others. If an opponent falls and has a wobbly bounce motion and is hit by an arrow they will be arrow locked and not be able to do anything except a forced stand up which gives Link a free hit. The easiest way to do this is fire an arrow right after hitting the opponent with a boomerang, if they don't teck and you're fast enough you will arrow lock them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=0dc7PgH3Tz8#t=223s
Arrows can be follow-ups to side launches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=4InFm8LOJLY#t=242s
Long range camping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=taoCm0JbV_4#t=282s
Arrows can be used to cancel other range attacks, like Pika's jolts, TL's boomerang, Samus' missiles, Ness/Lucas' PK thunder (at the head) and several other weak-medium priority attacks.
Using arrows, bombs and boomerang together Link can stop every planking character in the game.

They're not as useful as Link's boomerang or even more-so bombs but Link does benefit from using arrows.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
They're not as useful as Link's boomerang or even more-so bombs but Link does benefit from using arrows.
The boomerang is overrated IMO.
The arrow and the gale both have their uses, but I wouldn't say one is better or has more uses than the other.

escro

Smash Ace
i'd say it depends more on your playstyle and how you manage to utilise each projectile into it
i agree with your statement that neither is better than the other, but imo i think the boomerange is "better"
for me at least.

on that note, ive noticed that i always (and sometimes only) use the boomerang when im right in front of my opponent, like a SH to boomerang in face.
just wondering if this is an ok way to use the boomerang, or if not, tips on how to use properly?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link needs to use all his projectiles. I use the boomerang more than arrows so I said it was more useful. One player who excels at using arrows is Kirinblaze; anyone who likes arrows should watch his videos. Or watch them anyway because he's so good.
i'd say it depends more on your playstyle and how you manage to utilise each projectile into it
i agree with your statement that neither is better than the other, but imo i think the boomerange is "better"
for me at least.

on that note, ive noticed that i always (and sometimes only) use the boomerang when im right in front of my opponent, like a SH to boomerang in face.
just wondering if this is an ok way to use the boomerang, or if not, tips on how to use properly?
It can be okay but only if you're in a situation where you will successfully connect. The boomerang has good hitstun and a 50% chance of tripping the opponent, provided they're grounded and don't teck. Great for setting up locks and attack chains.

The downsides are it has a laggy start, catch animation if you don't preform another action as it returns, and it's out-prioritized by several attacks. If the opponent shield-dashes they'll probably punish you. They could also attack through it, like Wolf's Bair, Ganon's dash attack, MK's tornado, and many aerial attacks will eat the boomerang and continue to hit Link. Sonic's spin dash is a real pain.

A good alternative is SH Zair, which has great priority and starts on frame 10. Fair is another option.

Capuchon

Smash Cadet
I think, a arrow full charged, can edguard many characters like Marth, (Vertical Recovery) or, moderately charged if the opponent is a little closer. I just an idea, but it seems to work =3.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
As I said, I only listed some.

On that note, I've noticed that I always (and sometimes only) use the boomerang when I'm right in front of my opponent, like a SH to boomerang in face.
Just wondering if this is an ok way to use the boomerang, or if not, any tips on how to use properly?
Lol. I just had to.

You don't want to be using such a laggy and punishable move up close, that's kind of a waste of the gale's potential IMO. Doing this is fine as long as you don't overdo it since you'll probably end up getting punished if it misses or gets blocked, plus the gale is a projectile after all.

The gale to me, is a great anti-spacing move as I say it. The wind effect is great against zoning opponents or opponents that just completely out-range us since the opponent either has to avoid it or try to use it.

Sometimes with the gale, you have to aim to miss. You have many options for where you should throw the gale. Aim behind the opponent, at the opponent, or behind you. Plus you have angles to work with.
You can use the gale as a wall against weaker projectiles due to the wind effect

Try to experiment with the gale a bit and see how the opponent tends to react to it. It's a really good gimmick if the opponent tends to go out of their way for it since it's usually a free attack. It's also good if you know how to keep the opponent in the air if they jump.

You can use the Boomerang as a sort of followup or something. For example, after a Short Hop Bair, you can buffer a gale to catch an opponent off guard.

These are just some quick ideas I came up with.
I'll explain in more detail if necessary.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Boomerang is a better projectile than arrows.

If it hits up close and the opponent doesn't tech it it can set up a jab lock. I wouldn't go short hopping into an opponent's face to set that up though. It's better trying to bait an opponent into chasing you and throwing it at them. I don't really feel like the wind effect is really that big of a deal. It's more of a gimmick that doesn't really seem to bother good players all that much.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Why am I alone on this?...
Honestly, the gale isn't that good and doesn't have much to work in it's favor.
What Huggles stated doesn't make the gale sound much better either.
I guess I enjoy each hit more...

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well, you're not alone in it, just right now and here. I also prefer the gale, it's my favourite projectile by far, though I spam all three and love arrows to edge guard and stop tech chasing when possible.

Top Bottom