• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Threads + Q&A

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Important Threads + Q&A
(For lack of a better title)

Table of Contents:

I. Introduction
II. General Information/Rules
III. Important Threads/Hyperlinks
IV. Biographies

I. Introduction:

Welcome to the Link Boards! Our goal is to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible. This thread will contain rules/guidelines for posting, information about the boards, frequently asked questions, and biographies of all of the people that post here in the Link Boards. Sit back, relax, and enjoy- and don't forget to introduce yourself!

II. General Information/Rules:

Before I say anything, there are some words/acronyms you may see that you should be aware of. Here is a list of common vocabulary used in conjunction with Smash:

[collapse=Terminology]

Stuff to get out of the way before proceeding/Miscellaneous:

SSBB – Lol. I’m just kidding. Calm down.
BTT – Break the Targets
Spacies – A stupid name for Fox, Falco and Wolf
AT – Advanced Technique(s)
John - Johning is a broad term. To "be a john" or "to john" just means to make excuses about how you're playing poorly on a certain day/match/etc. I.e. "Dude, the only reason I'm loosing is because I got two hours of sleep last night and I can barely move my right hand." is an example of being a John, or Johning. No Johns just means no complainers/people who make excuses.

Basic Terms:

F, U, or D followed by smash, as in fsmash, denotes a characters directional smash move. Fsmash is forward smash, usmash is up smash, and dsmash is down smash.

F, U, or D followed by tilt denotes a characters directional tilt move. Otherwise, same as above.

F, U, D, B, or N followed by air denote a character’s aerial move. Fair denotes forward aerial, etc. bair denotes back aerial (the direction your character is not facing) and nair denotes neutral air (the control stick is in the neutral position).

F, U, D, or B followed by throw denotes a character's throw and the corresponding direction.

General Terms:To allow for easier searching of terms, use CTRL+F and thentype in the word your looking for (this lets me be lazy and not have to alphabetize things
)

Mindgame(s) - Any tactic involving trickery, deceit, intimidation, etc. Any tactic that can only be used on a human opponent to "fake them out", or the like, in order to get them to make a mistake.

DI - Directional Influence. There are many threads on this that will prove helpful to understanding this concept. I do not wish to go into it now.

SDI - Smash Directional Influence. Inputting your DI during hitlag. See above.

SH – Short Hop. Lower than a normal jump. This is done by pressing and releasing the jump button quickly.

FF – Fast Fall. After a character has reached the peak of his jump (they’re falling back down), hold down on the control stick and they will fall faster. Also called small jump.

AD – Air dodge

Sex Kick - Another somewhat stupid name but in common use. An (aerial) attack which has a constant hitbox over time. An example would be Luigi's N-air. Some sex kicks have animations despite the hitbox not moving. (It's called Sex kick because it starts off hard, ends up soft, and winds up ****ing everything.)

Tripping - A random effect that happens while dashing. The character trips, falls on his arse, and onto the ground. Its not fun.

Lag - The downtime after a move. After performing a attack, the character that performed it experiences "lag", and cannot perform another action until the lag period has ended.

Hitlag - The time between you get hit with an attack and the actually knockback occurs. Noticeable with very powerful attacks.

Stun - Refers to a period of time where the character cannot move. The best example of a stun occurs when a character's shield is broken and is immobile or "stunned" for a short period of time.

Hit-Stun - Any brief period of immobility after an attack is landed on a character. Hit-stun simply refers to the fact that, after an attack, the character that received the blow is "hit-stunned", or unable to input actions or commands until the hit-stun wheres off. In Melee, where there existed a higher "hit stun" than Brawl, combos where more easier/existed because one could attack an opponent again during their hit stun.

Shine, Shining - Simply refers to using a reflector as an attack.

Combos - A sequence of attacks that land on your opponent. In Brawl, comboing is difficult (some say impossible, since the opponent can technically DI out of any combo), due to the lack of hitstun necessary to continue attacking without the opponent responding. Because of this, combos have been thought of as only possible through mind-game techniques.

Natural Combo - Any combo that is implicit in the game, such as Mario's standard neutral AAA jab (pressing A three time consecutively is an example of a natural combo). Marth's Side B is also an example of a natural combo.

Universal Advanced Techniques:

Auto-Canceling - Refers to some aerial moves being "automatically canceled" when the character performing them hits the ground before finishing the move, effectively canceling all the landing lag with the move.

SHFF – Exactly what you think. A short hop followed by a fast fall.

FFAD – Fast fall, air dodge. All in one jump.

SHFFAD – short hop, fast fall, air dodge. All in one jump. Presumably causing you to hit the ground faster.

RAR, RARing – Reverse Aerial Rush. Basically if you’re dashing, tap back on the control stick right before you jump and you’ll continue in the initial direction while jumping, but facing the other way. This can also be done by B-Sticking and using using the C-Stick in the opposite direction of your dash to quickly get you off the ground facing the other direction. Particularly useful for characters with good bairs.

Tech, Ukemi – Simply means hitting L/R before hitting the ground. It allows your character to recover from the impact quicker and get to their feet.

B-Stick, B-Sticking – Setting the C-Stick to use specials. Very useful. I’m not going into it here.

Foxtrotting – Basically using the initial frames of the dash animation over and over. Just keep tapping the control stick (takes some timing) in the direction you want to go. Some characters move faster this way.

Platform Drop Cancelling - A technique that involves using a character's aerial move to remain on a platform immediatley after dropping through. Examples of this are Toon Link's Dair and Snake's Bair.

DAC, Dash Attack Cancelling, Snakedashing, Boost Smashing etc – I’ve heard a bunch of different ways of describing the same thing. Basically, this involves canceling the dash attack with a usmash or utilt, making the character slide as they charge their usmash. Only a few characters can do this. Most notably, Snake.

DLX Hit Cancel - Similar to the Dash Attack Cancel, but you let the dash attack connect, and then cancel it, getting in your dash attack and your usmash. The effect is different, as well.

Shutter Step, Stutter Step, Shutterstepping – Using the intial dash animation to increase the range of your fsmash. You basically cancel the dash with the fsmash before your character begins dashing. You can do this multiple ways, depending on which direction you begin the dash. You can dash backwards and still smash forwards with extra range, or just dash forwards and smash forwards.

FJ, Footstool Jump – Footstool jump. Basically jumping on someone’s head by pressing the jump button near their…well…head.

Glide Toss, Gliding Toss – Shield, hit a direction, and the c-stick while holding an item and the rolling animation will cancel, while still going the distance. During which time, your character will throw the item in hard and have a chance to attack while it's in the air. Not every character is capable of this.

Shield Cancel Dash, Dashing Shield Cancel, Dash canceling, Dashing Shield etc. – Plus any derivation of Dashing, Shield and Cancel you can come up with. Basically you can cancel a dash by hitting the shield button while dashing. This makes it easier to do non-dashing moves while still almost dashing.

Shield Cancel Grab, Dashing Shield Grab, etc – Dash Canceling with a shield and then immediately grabbing your opponent afterward.

Hyphen Smash, Usmash Dash Cancel, Dashing Usmash, etc – You can cancel a dash and go directly into a Usmash by well…Usmashing from a dash.

Jab Cancel, Jab Faking – Cancelling a jab, mid jab ‘combo’ by crouching/shielding. For characters that have three jabs (neutral attacks on the ground) in succession, you can cancel the last jab at any time by crouching/shielding.

Pivot Grab, Turn-around grab – Pass your opponent, quickly press the control stick towards your opponent and the grab button. Allows you to pivot and grab quickly. Has longer range than a normal grab.

JC Throw, Jump Cancel Throw, JC Toss, etc – Basically you can cancel your dash to throw an item in any direction by jumping then quickly throwing. Normally, you can only throw in the direction of your dash.

PS, Perfect Shield, Powershsielding – Perfect shield or Powershielding. Its covered in the manual…>_>. Basically, shield right as your opponent attacks. You will take no damage and have a chance to counter.

Hugging – Running off the edge and immediately press towards the stage to quickly grab the edge. Useful for edgeguarding.

Sweeping - Using moves that have tripping properties. These may cause your opponent to trip. Examples are Mario and Luigi's dtilt.

SRJ/ISRJ - Using an ariel attack that ends one frame before hitting the ground, resetting the second jump counter. This technique has no lag. Most ariel A attacks are capable of this with extremely precise timing.

Wavebouncing – A technique originating from B-Sticking. See B-Sticking.

[/collapse]
Now that that's out of the way... the Link community is a relatively young one, In the past, there were complications that caused a once thriving community to crash and burn. Recently, the Link Boards went through a period of revival. As a now thriving community, there are a few rules to keep in mind to ensure that history does not repeat itself.

--All SWF Global Rules still apply here. If you have any questions concerning these rules, please contact Scabe or me, and we will be glad to offer what help we can.
--Spam, a common offense from newer members, is no joke. Posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand should not be published. Some threads are more "loose" than others- please scroll down to Section IV for more information on strictness of threads.

III. Important Threads and Videos:

Threads Format:
Thread title (click to visit).
---Thread description.
How helpful the thread is (* is not helpful,***** is very helpful)
How strictly the rules are followed (* is not strict, ***** is very strict)
How complex or advanced a thread is (* is not complex or advanced, ***** is very complex or advanced)

General Discussion Thread
---The general disussion thread is a casual thread where you can post anything and everything that relates to Link. It is the place to go if you just want to hang out with other Link Mains and have some lax discussion.
Helpfulness: *
Strictness: *
Complexity: *

Hitbubbles Thread
---A complete compilation of Link's hitbubbles (the attack zones of his attacks) can be found here in both image and video form.
Helpfulness: ****
Strictness: ***

Match-Up Thread
---In the match-up thread, we evaluate how well Link does against other members of the cast. You can find out how to deal with tough enemies here.
Helpfulness: *****
Strictness: ****
Complexity: ****

Problematic Move Discussion Thread
---Discuss how to deal with enemy moves that give you issues. One move will be discussed at a time.
Complexity: ***

Question and Answer Thread
---Ask any questions related to Link's gameplay here. Remember to run a search before asking a question to avoid being redundant.

The Tournament Results Thread
---This thread is a place where you can submit and view tournament results for Link.
Helpfulness: **
Complexity: **

The Triforce of Courage
---This is currently the only complete and updated guide to Link's gameplay.
Helpfulness: ****
Strictness: **
Complexity: ****

Video Critique Thread
---Get videos of your Link critiqued here- remember, all criticism is constructive.
Complexity:**

Wi-Fi Thread
---Regular events, Link Boards members' friend codes and locations, and friendly matches are all found here.
Helpfulness: *
Strictness: *

Videos Format:
Video Title (click to visit direct link)
---Video Description
[Embedded Video]

Things you should know: Directional Influence
---This is an easy-to-understand video concerning Directional Influence (DI). It will teach you everything you need to know in order to DI and Momentum Cancel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo

IV. Biographies:

AfroTwist ShadowPie:
Hi, I'm AfroTwist BlueBerryPie a Link main from Norway. I'm pretty well known for my Link in my area and bla bla bla.
I'm not here much. I'm pretty active in the other Link community.
Although, I use this site for lots of other information

I'm also in the chat Waffz linked earlier alot.

Anonano:
I'm Anonano, a smasher from Utah.

Used to be a mod here, but I resigned a couple months ago because it's only a couple weeks from this post that I get my Mormon mission call, meaning that I leave these boards for at least two years.

...But I still have a few weeks left here. :p

I alt Lucario and Wolf, while I still keep my old Melee secondaries, Pikachu and Falco, pretty good in Brawl. Mostly play a lot of WiFi.

Anyways, I'm still available to help out while I'm still here.

Anonymous24:
Hello my name is Anonymous24, Even thought I use every character in the game Link was the one who started it all for me when I first started playing SSB. Ive come to learn and respect the game through him and have fun. Basically I like dealing good combos and doing mind tricks with link. I can use any costume really. Its just pretty sad that Link is one of the most underrated characters in the game. To those that are new to link I say good luck in mastering him because theres alot to learn about him especially since hes very unique and to those that are link veterans continue having fun out there

Avenger7x:
Hey guys. I'm a smasher from Florida, in between Tampa and Orlando. As you can tell by my post count, I don't actively post too often. I mainly just lurk around reading up on stuff. I haven't been to any Brawl tournies but was a little more active during the Melee years. I main Link of course and second Wolf. I recently got back into Smash after taking about a two year break (not a mormon mission call, lol) and now I'm trying to get better at Brawl.

blu link
I'm blu link, and I've been part of the Link community for more than 2 years =) I use Link because he's underrated and as a Phillie native, that's kind of a draw (Rocky, etc). I've created a Link stage discussion in 2009(?) which has honestly been one of my only contributions =/ I've also got a lot of vids up of different linked moves or uses for ATs. I'm very on and off with Smash and the community so bare with me. I don't know most players now (almost a year of inactivity xD) so I'm very old school. I hope we can furthur Link's metagame and our experience with Super Smash Brothers Brawl. :D

Huggles828:
Howdy, I'm Huggles! I've been playing video games for almost 20 years, from messing up my Dad's perfect Legend of Zelda file to beating Super Mario Bros. I've been playing Super Smash Bros. since it first came out. Link's always been one of my favorite characters.
I first tried Link in the original, but ended up selling out for Kirby and then for Pretty Pink Falcon in Melee. I decided enough was enough and picked Link back up in Brawl, although I love playing as Pretty Pink Falcon and Oldmanondorf, and pretty much anyone except Pikachu, Olimar if he's using Pikmin, and Meta Knight, who I won't play on a matter of principal (haha, I play a pretty nasty Pikminless Olimar, considering). I've never been to an actual tournament before, but I play against people who regularly attend tournaments, and hope to attend one before too long (using Link exclusively, of course, hahaha).

I'm from South Carolina. I don't know all of the terminology very well, and I'm more of an instinctual player ("I don't know how I just spiked you with Boot of Shame, I just sorta knew it would!"), but I think I know a good bit and I'll try to help with what I can.

When I'm not playing video games or confined to the campus library studying all day and night, I love to play racquetball, ultimate frisbee, and football (tag or flag, I wouldn't survive tackle football with my 160 lb. frame, haha). I also love the NFL. Dallas Cowboys for the Super Bowl in 2010!

G.i.R.
hello. my name's G.i.R. (yes that robot from Invader Zim) i've been on SmashBoards for a while, but i decided to introduce myself. i live in MN and i have been maining link since Melee. i don't play melee anymore (yes its sad) actually... i started playing again, and i fail at it:urg: i'm working to get my skills bak up in melee as well as improving my link in brawl. im a big LoZ fan, so that's where i started with link., i've been to local tournies near my town, but not to any pro tournies. i'm also trying to help my friend improve his Tink... that's pretty much it about me. i'm not a big talker either, so don't be surprised if i don't post anything.:laugh:

MooseLink93
hey guys im mooselink93 nd link is my fav caracter to use becuz he has a hookshot that he can use 4 combos like hookshot to sliding upsmash in izaws combo video. i dont like torneys because all thoz guys are bad nd i can do better on wifi. izaw is my hero nd if he comes here i would love 2 wifi him. i heard about some of you to expecially those ppl in believe the legend that vid was sick lol. my wifi code is 309367604545 nd i would like to play you guys. srry bout grammer but i dont like typing formal unless its 4 skool or somethn so yea.

Ndaydaddy:
From Michigan here, pretty close to Ann Arbor etc. I haven't attended any tournys or anything, I just mostly hang around on the boards and do what's needed of me. That said, I've been here since after the Link boards migration to AiB and have attempted to help this place since...well, now it's more then a year. So yeah.

I'm just mostly in touch with the community.

Pulse131:
alright, my real name is ryan p scott. uhm, ive played brawl basically since it came out and played melee the last few years before this game. uhm, ive used link(blue) for a good year or so now, im not a link fanboy, i just like links playing style for brawl. i live in colfax california, or, a member of norcal and i represent and am the best link in my community.
ive made all kinds of textures and applied alot of music on my wii, so its very unique in that area. ive made a combo video semi recently called blue elf, containing all kinds of link combos from freindlys and tournys.
i secondary mario and wolf, and between the 3 i have select opponents in which i use each one (opponent as in character not person).
im currently in charge of the wolf community video and am hoping to be part of the 4th mario and second link videos. im also currently making a crew video including combos from all smashers in my colfax area.
ive never wified, and porbably never will, i hear its lag makes it terrible. but any irl playing i am happily eager to play anyone anytime.

most importantly i love to help people out so if your in need of anything im available just as much as any one else here.

Red Ryu:
Hi, I'm Red Ryu. I'm a smasher in WI and travel to IL for tournaments. I main Link and Lucario, I secondary Peach, Falco, and Sonic but in tournament I pretty much only use Lucario and Link.

I may not be a pure Link main being a dual main, but I will rep both when I can. I've learned a lot from playing with the people in my area which got pretty diverse character wise.

I'll do what I can to help, so feel free to PM me if you have any requests pertaining to these boards.

Ryos4

I usually go by Negi (someone took that name in this forum). Let's see, I'm from Hawaii. SSBB is probably my favorite Wii game. I've been playing Link as a secondary ever since the original. SSB64 Ness main, SSBM Young Link main, and SSBB as a Pit main. Link has always been the character i play for fun. I'm not really a competitive player, mostly because i don't like having to do w/e it takes to win. eg. edge hogs, camping, and just overall playing defensive bore me. I avoid top tier characters like the plague, and Pit will probably be as high as i ever go. Also i tend to disappear from brawl for long lengths of time due to college.

I had a video thread before, but it is full of super old stuff only. Most of which can be found on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryos4

Scabe:

Hello fellow Link mainers, my names Scabe and I come from Australia. I've been maining Link since Brawl came out. Lately I've been going to tournaments and have been placing pretty well (usually top 8). So it just goes to show that if you put enough time and dedication into a character that you can place well no matter what.

I choose to go all out Link in tourney matches meaning I don't have any secondaries to rely on. Now even though some of my other characters are better than my Link, I still choose to go all out Link because I find him really fun to use and I enjoy the challenge of using a character that requires alot of skill to use.

Also, I consider myself generally nice and helpful so if you need any help feel free to message me! :link:

You can find some vids of my Link here: [URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/SatraKien[/URL]

SharkAttack:

Greetings and Salutations! My name is Sharkattack and I reside in NW Ohio. I just picked up Link near the end of April 2010 as my main character after going from Diddy in 2008 and Yoshi in 2009. I needed a character who I wasn't so predictable with and it turns out Link is my best character at mixing my game up.

I've only attended 3 tournaments in my career and went all Yoshi all three. I have no idea when my next tournament will be; but if I train with Link here and there on a consistent basis I'm hoping I can perform well in it.

Terywj
Hi, I'm Terywj but everyone calls me Tery.
Although I've been straying away from Brawl, I was more of a Melee player. That aside, I still play casually and hope to further my abilities in Link. I alternate between Link, Sheik, and Marth, which were my Melee mains. I created the Twilight Heroes - Smashboards' Brawl Link Clan and headed the clan on a separate forum I created, pretty much leaving Smashboards to work with my clan. The Twilight Heroes are noted for working heavily with Aethercide, an Ike Clan from BrawlCentral, and the first Brawl Clan ever created. After expansion and disbandment in late 2009 I returned to Smashboards and am now a dedicated PokeCenter member, leading multiple projects. My current goal is to become the youngest and first non-important member in the top 20 posters. It's silly, but that's me for ya.

Thunder of Zeus:

I'm Thunder of Zeus- but you can call me Zeus, ToZ, Tozzie, or Thunder. I'm the founder of the LBR and a moderator here at Smash World Forums. I main Marth and second Link. I've been smashing since the N64 and have never attended a live tourney in my life. I live in South Virginia. In addition to Smash, I play tennis, swim competitively, play the french horn, and have an interest in visual art. Hit me up if you need anything.

Wafflez:
'Sup. I'm WaffleZ.

I'm a Washington Smasher, living just across the mountain range from Deva n' Chip. I started in August '08 and I play Blue Link. Like most Link mains, I also make textures.

Some of my work:

I'm the creator of Project Link, or as you guys might know it more famously, "Believe the Legend". I'm also the guy responsible for the Link Boards Tier List and indirectly, the migration of the entire SWF Link community over to AiB. (Oops)

I drop by SWF every so often to check up on how things are going. I'm also a moderator at the Link Chat room over at Xat, feel free to stop by sometime. It's a link-up where all the Link mains can talk and get to know one another. You can find it here: xat.com/LinkBrawlers

One thing I feel everyone should know. Each Link main develops their own quirk over time. For instance, ShinTwist_ScreamPaste is best known for his pen-fifteen, which Mage had the unfortunate oppurtunity to see.

Yeah, don't ask.

Anyways, I might be around here once in a while so hello, follow the rules and don't forget to wax your doorknobs.

***MORE COMING SOON***

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Might as well get you started.

'Sup. I'm WaffleZ.

I'm a Washington Smasher, living just across the mountain range from Deva n' Chip. I started in August '08 and I play Blue Link. Like most Link mains, I also make textures.

Some of my work:

I'm the creator of Project Link, or as you guys might know it more famously, "Believe the Legend". I'm also the guy responsible for the Link Boards Tier List and indirectly, the migration of the entire SWF Link community over to AiB. (Oops)

I drop by SWF every so often to check up on how things are going. I'm also a moderator at the Link Chat room over at Xat, feel free to stop by sometime. It's a link-up where all the Link mains can talk and get to know one another. You can find it here: xat.com/LinkBrawlers

One thing I feel everyone should know. Each Link main develops their own quirk over time. For instance, ShinTwist_ScreamPaste is best known for his pen-fifteen, which Mage had the unfortunate oppurtunity to see.

Yeah, don't ask.

Anyways, I might be around here once in a while so hello, follow the rules and don't forget to wax your doorknobs.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I drop by SWF every so often to check up on how things are going. I'm also a moderator at the Link Chat room over at Xat, feel free to stop by sometime. It's a link-up where all the Link mains can talk and get to know one another. I'll post a link if the mods allow so.
Feel free.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm Anonano, a smasher from Utah.

Used to be a mod here, but I resigned a couple months ago because it's only a couple weeks from this post that I get my Mormon mission call, meaning that I leave these boards for at least two years.

...But I still have a few weeks left here. :p

I alt Lucario and Wolf, while I still keep my old Melee secondaries, Pikachu and Falco, pretty good in Brawl. Mostly play a lot of WiFi.

Anyways, I'm still available to help out while I'm still here.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
2 years. Wha.
Guess I'll do this.

From Michigan here, pretty close to Ann Arbor etc. I haven't attended any tournys or anything, I just mostly hang around on the boards and do what's needed of me. That said, I've been here since after the Link boards migration to AiB and have attempted to help this place since...well, now it's more then a year. So yeah.

I'm just mostly in touch with the community.

Zeus, I don't know if you're going to add intros to the OP or something, but if you do, use collapse tags like these! Yeah.

Avenger7x

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I'm a smasher from Florida, in between Tampa and Orlando. As you can tell by my post count, I don't actively post too often. I mainly just lurk around reading up on stuff. I haven't been to any Brawl tournies but was a little more active during the Melee years. I main Link of course and second Wolf. I recently got back into Smash after taking about a two year break (not a mormon mission call, lol) and now I'm trying to get better at Brawl.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Welcome to the boards Avenger7x! Hopefully we can help you with your Brawl Link, and seeing as you played Melee before you'll do fine! :bigthumbu

And what's this about Ano leaving? :cry:

Also what else is going to be added in this thread? Are you going to put some important thread lists in here?

Biography:

Hello fellow Link mainers, my names Scabe and I come from Australia. I've been maining Link since Brawl came out. Lately I've been going to tournaments and have been placing pretty well (usually top 8). So it just goes to show that if you put enough time and dedication into a character that you can place well no matter what.

I choose to go all out Link in tourney matches meaning I don't have any secondaries to rely on. Now even though some of my other characters are better than my Link, I still choose to go all out Link because I find him really fun to use and I enjoy the challenge of using a character that requires alot of skill to use.

Also, I consider myself generally nice and helpful so if you need any help feel free to message me! :link:

You can find some vids of my Link here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SatraKien

AfroTwist ShadowPie

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I'm AfroTwist BlueBerryPie a Link main from Norway. I'm pretty well known for my Link in my area and bla bla bla.
I'm not here much because the Link community moved from here and the information here is pretty outdated. I'm pretty active in the real Link community because all the best Link mains are there and I learn alot from them.
Although, I use this site for lots of other information

I'm also in the chat Waffz linked earlier alot.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░▲
░░░░░░░░░░░░▲ ▲
░░░░░░░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲
░░░░░░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
░░░░░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
░░░░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
░░░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░░░░░░░▲
░░░░░▲ ▲░░░░░░░░░░░▲ ▲
░░░░▲ ▲ ▲░░░░░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲
░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲░░░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲░░░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲░░░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲░▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
░░░░░▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓
░░░░░▓▓▓░████████░▓▓▓
░░░░░▓▓░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█░▓▓
░░░░░▓▓░░░██░░██░░░▓▓
░░░░░▓▓░░░▓▓░░▓▓░░░▓▓
░░░░░▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓
░░░░░▓▓▓██░░▓▓░░██▓▓▓
░░░░░░▓▓███░▓▓░███▓▓
░░░░░░▓████████████▓
░░░░░░░████████████
░░░░░░░████████████
░░░░░░░████▓▓▓▓████
░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓
░░░░░░░████▓▓▓▓████
░░░░░░░████████████
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hi, I'm Red Ryu. I'm a smasher in WI and travel to IL for tournaments. I main Link and Lucario, I secondary Peach, Falco, and Sonic but in tournament I pretty much only use Lucario and Link.

I may not be a pure Link main being a dual main, but I will rep both when I can. I've learned a lot from playing with the people in my area which got pretty diverse character wise.

I'll do what I can to help, so feel free to PM me if you have any requests pertaining to these boards.

pulse131

Smash Ace
alright, my real name is ryan p scott. uhm, ive played brawl basically since it came out and played melee the last few years before this game. uhm, ive used link(blue) for a good year or so now, im not a link fanboy, i just like links playing style for brawl. i live in colfax california, or, a member of norcal and i represent and am the best link in my community.
ive made all kinds of textures and applied alot of music on my wii, so its very unique in that area. ive made a combo video semi recently called blue elf, containing all kinds of link combos from freindlys and tournys.
i secondary mario and wolf, and between the 3 i have select opponents in which i use each one (opponent as in character not person).
im currently in charge of the wolf community video and am hoping to be part of the 4th mario and second link videos. im also currently making a crew video including combos from all smashers in my colfax area.
ive never wified, and porbably never will, i hear its lag makes it terrible. but any irl playing i am happily eager to play anyone anytime.

most importantly i love to help people out so if your in need of anything im available just as much as any one else here.

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
Hello my name is Anonymous24, Even thought I use every character in the game Link was the one who started it all for me when I first started playing SSB. Ive come to learn and respect the game through him and have fun. Basically I like dealing good combos and doing mind tricks with link. I can use any costume really. Its just pretty sad that Link is one of the most underrated characters in the game. To those that are new to link I say good luck in mastering him because theres alot to learn about him especially since hes very unique and to those that are link veterans continue having fun out there

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Howdy, I'm Huggles! I've been playing video games for almost 20 years, from messing up my Dad's perfect Legend of Zelda file to beating Super Mario Bros. I've been playing Super Smash Bros. since it first came out. Link's always been one of my favorite characters.
I first tried Link in the original, but ended up selling out for Kirby and then for Pretty Pink Falcon in Melee. I decided enough was enough and picked Link back up in Brawl, although I love playing as Pretty Pink Falcon and Oldmanondorf, and pretty much anyone except Pikachu, Olimar if he's using Pikmin, and Meta Knight, who I won't play on a matter of principal (haha, I play a pretty nasty Pikminless Olimar, considering). I've never been to an actual tournament before, but I play against people who regularly attend tournaments, and hope to attend one before too long (using Link exclusively, of course, hahaha).

I'm from South Carolina. I don't know all of the terminology very well, and I'm more of an instinctual player ("I don't know how I just spiked you with Boot of Shame, I just sorta knew it would!"), but I think I know a good bit and I'll try to help with what I can.

When I'm not playing video games or confined to the campus library studying all day and night, I love to play racquetball, ultimate frisbee, and football (tag or flag, I wouldn't survive tackle football with my 160 lb. frame, haha). I also love the NFL. Dallas Cowboys for the Super Bowl in 2010!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wouldn't survive tackle football with my 160 lb. frame, haha). I also love the NFL. Dallas Cowboys for the Super Bowl in 2010!
DI out of tackles (lol).
Someone named Squid made a terminology list:

Disclaimer!:
Squid does not encourage the use of acronyms/lame terminology or the
creation of new acronyms/lame terminology. He is just trying to help
people who are new and/or don’t care about remembering every single
strange name people come up with for every little thing in the game.

Note: This is a preliminary list. There are definitely things I forgot.
I’m just putting them down as they fall out of my head. Please help me
complete this by posting more that I haven’t listed. Forgive the typos
and grammatical errors, I put this together rather disjointedly.

Stuff to get out of the way before proceeding/Miscellaneous:

SSBB – Lol. I’m just kidding. Calm down.
BTT – Break the Targets
Spacies – A stupid name for Fox, Falco and Wolf
AT – Advanced Technique(s)
John - Johning is a broad term. To "be a john" or "to john" just means to make excuses about how you're playing poorly on a certain day/match/etc. I.e. "Dude, the only reason I'm loosing is because I got two hours of sleep last night and I can barely move my right hand." is an example of being a John, or Johning. No Johns just means no complainers/people who make excuses.

Basic Terms:

F, U, or D followed by smash, as in fsmash, denotes a characters directional smash move. Fsmash is forward smash, usmash is up smash, and dsmash is down smash.

F, U, or D followed by tilt denotes a characters directional tilt move. Otherwise, same as above.

F, U, D, B, or N followed by air denote a character’s aerial move. Fair denotes forward aerial, etc. bair denotes back aerial (the direction your character is not facing) and nair denotes neutral air (the control stick is in the neutral position).

F, U, D, or B followed by throw denotes a character's throw and the corresponding direction.

General Terms:To allow for easier searching of terms, use CTRL+F and thentype in the word your looking for (this lets me be lazy and not have to alphabetize things
)

Mindgame(s) - Any tactic involving trickery, deceit, intimidation, etc. Any tactic that can only be used on a human opponent to "fake them out", or the like, in order to get them t
o make a mistake.

DI - Directional Influence. There are many threads on this that will prove helpful to understanding this concept. I do not wish to go into it now.

SDI
- Smash Directional Influence. Inputting your DI during hitlag. See above.

SH – Short Hop. Lower than a normal jump. This is done by pressing and releasing the jump button quickly.

FF – Fast Fall. After a character has reached the peak of his jump (they’re falling back down), hold down on the control stick and they will fall faster. Also called small jump.

AD – Air dodge

Sex Kick - Another somewhat stupid name but in common use. An (aerial) attack which has a constant hitbox over time. An example would be Luigi's N-air. Some sex kicks have animations despite the hitbox not moving. (It's called Sex kick because it starts off hard, ends up soft, and winds up ****ing everything.)

Tripping - A random effect that happens while dashing. The character trips, falls on his arse, and onto the ground. Its not fun.

Lag - The downtime after a move. After performing a attack, the character that performed it experiences "lag", and cannot perform another action until the lag period has ended.

Hitlag - The time between you get hit with an attack and the actually knockback occurs. Noticeable with very powerful attacks.

Stun - Refers to a period of time where the character cannot move. The best example of a stun occurs when a character's shield is broken and is immobile or "stunned" for a short period of time.

Hit-Stun - Any brief period of immobility after an attack is landed on a character. Hit-stun simply refers to the fact that, after an attack, the character that received the blow is "hit-stunned", or unable to input actions or commands until the hit-stun wheres off. In Melee, where there existed a higher "hit stun" than Brawl, combos where more easier/existed because one could attack an opponent again during their hit stun.

Shine, Shining - Simply refers to using a reflector as an attack.

Combos - A sequence of attacks that land on your opponent. In Brawl, comboing is difficult (some say impossible, since the opponent can technically DI out of any combo), due to the lack of hitstun necessary to continue attacking without the opponent responding. Because of this, combos have been thought of as only possible through mind-game techniques.

Natural Combo - Any combo that is implicit in the game, such as Mario's standard neutral AAA jab (pressing A three time consecutively is an example of a natural combo). Marth's Side B is also an example of a natural combo.

Universal Advanced Techniques:

Auto-Canceling - Refers to some aerial moves being "automatically canceled" when the character performing them hits the ground before finishing the move, effectively canceling all the landing lag with the move.

SHFF – Exactly what you think. A short hop followed by a fast fall.

FFAD
– Fast fall, air dodge. All in one jump.

SHFFAD – short hop, fast fall, air dodge. All in one jump. Presumably causing you to hit the ground faster.

RAR, RARing – Reverse Aerial Rush. Basically if you’re dashing, tap back on the control stick right before you jump and you’ll continue in the initial direction while jumping, but facing the other way. This can also be done by B-Sticking and using using the C-Stick in the opposite direction of your dash to quickly get you off the ground facing the other direction. Particularly useful for characters with good bairs.

Tech, Ukemi – Simply means hitting L/R before hitting the ground. It allows your character to recover from the impact quicker and get to their feet.

B-Stick, B-Sticking
– Setting the C-Stick to use specials. Very useful. I’m not going into it here.

Foxtrotting – Basically using the initial frames of the dash animation over and over. Just keep tapping the control stick (takes some timing) in the direction you want to go. Some characters move faster this way.

Platform Drop Cancelling -
A technique that involves using a character's aerial move to remain on a platform immediatley after dropping through. Examples of this are Toon Link's Dair and Snake's Bair.

DAC, Dash Attack Cancelling, Snakedashing, Boost Smashing etc – I’ve heard a bunch of different ways of describing the same thing. Basically, this involves canceling the dash attack with a usmash or utilt, making the character slide as they charge their usmash. Only a few characters can do this. Most notably, Snake.

DLX Hit Cancel
- Similar to the Dash Attack Cancel, but you let the dash attack connect, and then cancel it, getting in your dash attack and your usmash. The effect is different, as well.

Shutter Step, Stutter Step, Shutterstepping – Using the intial dash animation to increase the range of your fsmash. You basically cancel the dash with the fsmash before your character begins dashing. You can do this multiple ways, depending on which direction you begin the dash. You can dash backwards and still smash forwards with extra range, or just dash forwards and smash forwards.

FJ, Footstool Jump
– Footstool jump. Basically jumping on someone’s head by pressing the jump button near their…well…head.

Glide Toss, Gliding Toss – Shield, hit a direction, and the c-stick while holding an item and the rolling animation will cancel, while still going the distance. During which time, your character will throw the item in hard and have a chance to attack while it's in the air. Not every character is capable of this.

Shield Cancel Dash, Dashing Shield Cancel, Dash canceling, Dashing Shield etc
. – Plus any derivation of Dashing, Shield and Cancel you can come up with. Basically you can cancel a dash by hitting the shield button while dashing. This makes it easier to do non-dashing moves while still almost dashing.

Shield Cancel Grab, Dashing Shield Grab, etc – Dash Canceling with a shield and then immediately grabbing your opponent afterward.

Hyphen Smash, Usmash Dash Cancel, Dashing Usmash, etc
– You can cancel a dash and go directly into a Usmash by well…Usmashing from a dash.

Jab Cancel, Jab Faking – Cancelling a jab, mid jab ‘combo’ by crouching/shielding. For characters that have three jabs (neutral attacks on the ground) in succession, you can cancel the last jab at any time by crouching/shielding.

Pivot Grab, Turn-around grab – Pass your opponent, quickly press the control stick towards your opponent and the grab button. Allows you to pivot and grab quickly. Has longer range than a normal grab.

JC Throw, Jump Cancel Throw, JC Toss, etc – Basically you can cancel your dash to throw an item in any direction by jumping then quickly throwing. Normally, you can only throw in the direction of your dash.

PS, Perfect Shield, Powershsielding – Perfect shield or Powershielding. Its covered in the manual…>_>. Basically, shield right as your opponent attacks. You will take no damage and have a chance to counter.

Hugging – Running off the edge and immediately press towards the stage to quickly grab the edge. Useful for edgeguarding.

Sweeping - Using moves that have tripping properties. These may cause your opponent to trip. Examples are Mario and Luigi's dtilt.

SRJ/ISRJ
- Using an ariel attack that ends one frame before hitting the ground, resetting the second jump counter. This technique has no lag. Most ariel A attacks are capable of this with extremely precise timing.

Wavebouncing – A technique originating from B-Sticking. See B-Sticking.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Just a couple of old useful threads that you may want to add. I've only had a quick glance at them, so I'll be editing this post again when I read through them all. I did like a small edit to the OP.
[collapse=Link's (not finished)]
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183057
BASIC knowledge

Susa facts

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227713
Arrow archive

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256128
Killing potential

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=251270
Link's down tilt spike

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247074
No Weak Link's

The Art Of Link
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167650

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239789
Complete list of AT's and Trikcs

advanced combos
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236932

stale move deterioation
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227717

Link frame data
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228233

inundating
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258121[/collapse]

This thread deserves a sticky.

Also it's a shame that we can't embed vids :(

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Just a couple of old useful threads that you may want to add. I've only had a quick glance at them, so I'll be editing this post again when I read through them all. I did like a small edit to the OP.
[collapse=Link's (not finished)]
BASIC knowledge

Susa facts

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227713
Arrow archive

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256128
Killing potential

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=251270
Link's down tilt spike

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247074
No Weak Link's

The Art Of Link
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167650

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239789
Complete list of AT's and Trikcs

advanced combos
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236932

stale move deterioation
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227717

Link frame data
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228233

inundating
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258121[/collapse]

This thread deserves a sticky.

Also it's a shame that we can't embed vids :(
Embedding hasn't been a problem for me until this thread. I'll have to dedicate some time to figuring it out.

I'll check out your edit and make some updates of my own this afternoon.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Greetings and Salutations! My name is Sharkattack and I reside in NW Ohio. I just picked up Link near the end of April 2010 as my main character after going from Diddy in 2008 and Yoshi in 2009. I needed a character who I wasn't so predictable with and it turns out Link is my best character at mixing my game up.

I've only attended 3 tournaments in my career and went all Yoshi all three. I have no idea when my next tournament will be; but if I train with Link here and there on a consistent basis I'm hoping I can perform well in it.

MooseLink93

Smash Rookie
hey guys im mooselink93 nd link is my fav caracter to use becuz he has a hookshot that he can use 4 combos like hookshot to sliding upsmash in izaws combo video. i dont like torneys because all thoz guys are bad nd i can do better on wifi. izaw is my hero nd if he comes here i would love 2 wifi him. i heard about some of you to expecially those ppl in believe the legend that vid was sick lol. my wifi code is 309367604545 nd i would like to play you guys. srry bout grammer but i dont like typing formal unless its 4 skool or somethn so yea.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Is everyone suppose to do an introduction? lol cause ive been around for a while, though i do come and go as i please. Well its not really if i please its more of a forced to quit when there's school.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Fine...

I usually go by Negi (someone took that name in this forum). Let's see, I'm from Hawaii. SSBB is probably my favorite Wii game. I've been playing Link as a secondary ever since the original. SSB64 Ness main, SSBM Young Link main, and SSBB as a Pit main. Link has always been the character i play for fun. I'm not really a competitive player, mostly because i don't like having to do w/e it takes to win. eg. edge hogs, camping, and just overall playing defensive bore me. I avoid top tier characters like the plague, and Pit will probably be as high as i ever go. Also i tend to disappear from brawl for long lengths of time due to college.

I had a video thread before, but it is full of super old stuff only. Most of which can be found on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryos4

Anyway yeah...

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Seeing as how I'm going to be active on the Link boards, I'll intro myself, too.

I'm a smasher from NY, maining Link because, well, I want to. He's the character I picked up when I first bought the game, and haven't learned many others significantly. I recently decided to learn a high tiered character, but stopped because I like being the underdog (and winning). I haven't been to a pro tournament before but I do attend some friendlies at my college.

I play SSBB best with the Wii remote, but I'm not too bad with the GC controller, either. I still have a ways to go, but when I'm brawling, it's usually on Wifi. I like one-on-ones best and dislike FFAs. I love spamming projectiles and I love Link's voice actor. Yes, I'm weird. It's in my forum name.

G.i.R.

Smash Rookie
hello. my name's G.i.R. (yes that robot from Invader Zim) i've been on SmashBoards for a while, but i decided to introduce myself. i live in MN and i have been maining link since Melee. i don't play melee anymore (yes its sad) actually... i started playing again, and i fail at it:urg: i'm working to get my skills bak up in melee as well as improving my link in brawl. im a big LoZ fan, so that's where i started with link., i've been to local tournies near my town, but not to any pro tournies. i'm also trying to help my friend improve his Tink... that's pretty much it about me. i'm not a big talker either, so don't be surprised if i don't post anything.:laugh:

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I leave for a couple of months and this place totally blossoms! I'm proud of you SWF Link mains :) I wish I had the attention span to continue playing this game but music and art is really more important (My potential college focus :O) So keep trucking guys.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thanks Blu. I joined after you became inactive so we never talked:(. Stop by and wifi if you get the chance:bee:.

(Good for you putting work before play, I'm not getting my work done:ohwell:.)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, thanks Blu Link. I dunno if I ever really met you either; after all, I've only been here a few months. But yeah, I agree, Brawl is a fun hobby, one that I hope to get good enough to even compete for a little money later, but if you don't have the time to do it, and need to put something else ahead, then go for it. Make sure you have your priorities straight.

Music and art, huh? What all do you play? I've been working on learning ukulele myself; when my friend gets back from his trip to Australia he's supposed to teach me the basics of music theory.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah life should come before Brawl. I usually drop from the Brawl scene completely during every school semester.

Also Art focus can eat up alot of time. With all the projects and what not. I'm an Animation Major with an Art minor soo i basically have 0 time. lol.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Haha, thanks Blu Link. I dunno if I ever really met you either; after all, I've only been here a few months. But yeah, I agree, Brawl is a fun hobby, one that I hope to get good enough to even compete for a little money later, but if you don't have the time to do it, and need to put something else ahead, then go for it. Make sure you have your priorities straight.

Music and art, huh? What all do you play? I've been working on learning ukulele myself; when my friend gets back from his trip to Australia he's supposed to teach me the basics of music theory.
I play guitar. :D Too fun, almost a year now, starting playing it for school next semester.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hmm guitar seems to be pretty popular among Link players. You, me and Scabe all play guitar.

Anyone else????

I took guitar in college, though I never found the class to be as helpful as just self practice. It sorta just gives you an excuse to practice. I tried to learn to read music there but it was just too hard.

Top Bottom