• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Important info required!

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Greetings everyone.
As you know, I provide equipment for upcoming tourneys on a larger scale in hopes of fulfilling the equipment needs of the event host. If/when (God-bless the community for their charitable donations btw) Evo runs Melee as their chosen game, I would assume there may be a need for equipment to be provided to run the actual event.

Does anybody know if this is the case? Should I be talking to someone at EVO about their needs, and try to work out a way to help the Melee community run their events smoothly? I am not doing this as a gimmick, I mean well by asking this because I want to support this cause in the way I know how to do it best, similar to how Apex 2013 had all that equipment from us as well.

If anyone has any idea on what steps I should be taking, it would be incredibly helpful for you to let me know via PM, or even comments if you'd like. Thanks in advance guys..

clowsui

Smash Legend
especially since you run tournaments under gaming underground's LLC or some sort of LLC it definitely couldn't hurt for you to contact them about equipment (considering they sold off all their CRTs a while back)

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
especially since you run tournaments under gaming underground's LLC or some sort of LLC it definitely couldn't hurt for you to contact them about equipment (considering they sold off all their CRTs a while back)
Your kind of right in a sense that Game Underground and us work together. However, Genius Gaming is completely separate business wise and is it's own entity in terms of the community.

The question I am asking here though is who would I contact from EVO itself? I want to offer my services for the event itself, to ensure it runs smoothly and with enough equipment.

AT Apex 2013, Genius Gaming brought 65 systems to apex complete with games and all hookups. Genius Gaming owned a little more than half of that equipment, with the other half being brought to Apex as a favor for the community to theoretically double the equipment count from previous years. It definitely worked, although it was very hard work.

You guys are the reason I keep pushing forward, and the dedication I saw to this Breast Cancer Fund is a breath of good fresh air. This community deserves top quality treatment.

LLDL

Smash Hero
The only thing that has been confirmed from them surrounding Melee, is that they will use the melee community's ruleset, which is a plus.

However these precautions would need to be made, assuming we do get into evo:

Clarify whether they will be using evo monitors or crts: If they definitely say that they will be using monitors, we need to make them understand that no matter how lag free it is on a modern console, it will always lag for gamecube no matter how minimal it may seem to them, smashers can feel even half a frame of lag. As competitive street fighter players, they should understand and respect that.

Clarify if they OWN crts. If not, then we can make a big push to try and get consoles. I don't think this would be too difficult. Even if it involves smashers / TO's in the area donating tvs to them. Let's say we got 20 people in the area to donate 5 crts each? that is 100 tvs right there that we could, on our own, get to the venue. GTZ I know you own a lot of equipment, so I would just try to get in touch with MrWizard. He has responded to most of us on twitter, so after the drive is over I would talk to him if we win.

We need to see how many cubes and copies of melee they have, although I am sure they would handle this, because why would they put the game on the lineup without at least planning to own enough copies of the game and systems to run a tournament for it.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
The only thing that has been confirmed from them surrounding Melee, is that they will use the melee community's ruleset, which is a plus.

However these precautions would need to be made, assuming we do get into evo:

Clarify whether they will be using evo monitors or crts: If they definitely say that they will be using monitors, we need to make them understand that no matter how lag free it is on a modern console, it will always lag for gamecube no matter how minimal it may seem to them, smashers can feel even half a frame of lag. As competitive street fighter players, they should understand and respect that.

Clarify if they OWN crts. If not, then we can make a big push to try and get consoles. I don't think this would be too difficult. Even if it involves smashers / TO's in the area donating tvs to them. Let's say we got 20 people in the area to donate 5 crts each? that is 100 tvs right there that we could, on our own, get to the venue. GTZ I know you own a lot of equipment, so I would just try to get in touch with MrWizard. He has responded to most of us on twitter, so after the drive is over I would talk to him if we win.

We need to see how many cubes and copies of melee they have, although I am sure they would handle this, because why would they put the game on the lineup without at least planning to own enough copies of the game and systems to run a tournament for it.
Genius Gaming would be providing a service, so we could technically/technically not be considered part of the bandwagon. Without speculating too much, we'd be directly contacting the owner of EVO and getting a discussion with him. What this means for Melee, would simply be this:
- 50 CRT TVS
- 20-30 (depending on how many I can grab I'm at about 20 ngcs right now) Game Cube consoles + copies of Melee

That's Genius Gaming alone. Now transporting that amount of equipment is something we handle on our end, as well as technical support and all the other details.

at 50 crts that's a heck of a good start. I have these all under my ownership, which is how Dissention (and technically Apex 2013) had so many set-ups.. I bought them all..

----------------------------------

I made a promise to myself to create something big, unique and high quality. The next time I host (Smashachusetts IV - Melee/Brawl/N64 HUGE event), I won't even have people bring their systems. I plan on purchasing all equipment myself. (I don't wanna keep talking about Smashachusetts IV here though, since this is Breast Cancer and Evo fundraising). If you need more info, PM me or you can always visit the link in the conole listings.

I really hope this can be made possible, with a correlation of my resources of Genius Gaming and Evo's genuine hype, size and grandeur, Melee can have one heck of a good showing there.
---------------------------------

Good point, but honestly 99% of the time even with the gross amount of stuff I own, you can never be too prepared. I don't think they fully understand what Smash Melee at that event will mean for a TON of players. The equipment is a necessity, I looked everywhere to acquire the stuff, especially melee discs and brawl discs, which have been getting harder and harder to come by in good shape and in bulk.. So they may have the means, money, etc, but you still need a lot of time to come up with this stuff.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
you would want to contact Tom Cannon (and his brother, can't remember his name) and Mr. Wizard, at the very least.

https://twitter.com/ProtomCannon
https://twitter.com/MrWizardSRK

dunno if this has been covered, but yeah, they created and run EVO.

@John: I-I didn't react to that......it's just weird that you would post that....../tsundere
I am having trouble finding concrete ways of getting into contact with either of these 2 individuals. Is there a number I can call to get in touch with them?

Top Bottom