• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I think Demise is even less likely than Ghirahim and Impa. Ghirahim and Impa atleast have major plot significance; Demise is only an end boss and an incarnation (for the lack of a better word) of Ganondorf.
I actually think demise would end up being part of ghirahims final smash, with him summoning him, and turning into the sword while giving the player control of demise for a limited time. While saving his armored form for some sort of special.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I actually think demise would end up being part of ghirahims final smash, with him summoning him, and turning into the sword while giving the player control of demise for a limited time. While saving his armored form for some sort of special.
Interesting idea, cool. I think I'd still prefer to see Demise as an alternate costume for Ganondorf, but... no reason he can't be both, really.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I consider Ganon and Ganondorf to be the same so Impa hasn't had more appearances in my book. Off the top of my head, Ganon has appeared in:

Legend of Zelda
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Windwaker
Twilight Princess
Four Swords Adventures
Oracle series - although in a unique form

Referenced in Majora, Adventures of Link, and Skyward Sword.

I am not counting Link's Awakening because a boss took a form of Ganon only.
He was in Phantom Hourglass too. But you don't fight him.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He was in Phantom Hourglass too. But you don't fight him.

Yeah, I didn't mention it in that post but if you looked on down the last page, I had another list of games he is not in and Phantom Hourglass was not mentioned because I knew he was mentioned in the intro (I have never played Phantom Hourglass btw). In fact, I have never played any handheld Zelda games because I have never owned a handheld system.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
I think it's funny to see people call Impa a "one-off character" at the start of the thread (just now reading it all) like Sheik wasn't. Unfortunately, Sheik is less useful as a plot device/character in the Zelda series now, hence her cut from TP. They can't pull off that same trick again with her without inventing a new character like Tetra. In addition, Impa's height makes her fairly unique. She's like a freaking Amazon!

I could see Sakurai putting Sheik in as Zelda dressed like Impa or something, but I think he'd rather add a new character to the character select screen since he's already having trouble expanding the roster due to all of the balancing work that needs to be done. Plus, SS Zelda doesn't come off as a turns-into-ninja type. (Moreso than the others, but I wouldn't complain if she did.) The only way that I could work out him putting in Sheik Classic is if he intends to do DLC and clone Impa later. (Obviously, it wouldn't work the other way around because Zelda would have an empty move.) We know that he communicates with the devs and it really seems like they designed Impa to fill in for Sheik since the two already had character ties in the previous incarnation. I think they might even recommend it.

We'd all love to see both, but after the discouraging news about the minimalist character update, I hope you'll understand that I'm trying to see things from Sakurai's POV.

Edit: Didn't mean to cut that Pichu line out on you guys. I just figured it was less relevant since it was an early quote. I didn't think I'd get a few replies in minutes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Like Pichu? I wouldn't call Shiek a veteran. She's recurring. The characters from the first game are vets.

I think it's funny to see people call Impa a "one-off character" like Shiek wasn't. Face it, Shiek is virtually unusable in the Zelda series now. They can't pull off that same trick again with Zelda players. I think Impa should be her own character tile and she and Zelda should each receive a new down special. And a new final smash for Impa, lush the Shiek costume. In addition, her height makes her fairly unique. She's like a freaking Amazon!

I could see Sakurai putting Shiek in as Zelda dressed like Impa or something, but I think he'd rather make a new character since he's already having trouble expanding the roster due to all of the balancing work that needs to be done.
Same could be said about Twilight Princess, but that didn't stop him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think it's funny to see people call Impa a "one-off character" at the start of the thread (just now reading it all) like Sheik wasn't. Unfortunately, Sheik is less useful as a plot device/character in the Zelda series now, hence her cut from TP. They can't pull off that same trick again with her without inventing a new character like Tetra. In addition, Impa's height makes her fairly unique. She's like a freaking Amazon!

I could see Sakurai putting Sheik in as Zelda dressed like Impa or something, but I think he'd rather add a new character to the character select screen since he's already having trouble expanding the roster due to all of the balancing work that needs to be done. Plus, SS Zelda doesn't come off as a turns-into-ninja type. (Moreso than the others, but I wouldn't complain if she did.) The only way that I could work out him putting in Sheik Classic is if he intends to do DLC and clone Impa later. (Obviously, it wouldn't work the other way around because Zelda would have an empty move.) We know that he communicates with the devs and it really seems like they designed Impa to fill in for Sheik since the two already had character ties in the previous incarnation. I think they might even recommend it.
Fighting like a Amazon... Didn't even think of this :love:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

We'd all love to see both, but after the discouraging news about the minimalist character update, I hope you'll understand that I'm trying to see things from Sakurai's POV.
I meannnn, I'd argue that none of the Zeldas seem like "turn into ninja" types. At the same time, I guess I'd argue that OoT Zelda also wasn't turning into a ninja, she was putting on a costume and playing a harp. Other than throwing a Deku Nut and disappearing, she didn't actually do anything to really indicate that she actually received any Sheikah training.

It be kind of fun to see a non-princess character like Tetra with more of a Sheikah theme though. For instance, the new Zelda could be born into a Hyrule kingdom that's already been taken over by a bad guy, so the protectors of the true royalty could sneak baby Zelda away and raise her as a magical Sheikah warrior so she could take the kingdom back. That'd be pretty awesome.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I... I made the mistake of looking up "Amazon Warrior" on google image search. Y'all should give it a try.
VARIA DARES YOU.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Edit: Didn't mean to cut that Pichu line out on you guys. I just figured it was less relevant since it was an early quote. I didn't think I'd get a few replies in minutes.
If Zelda had an empty move, they can just replace it with something else. Your post reminded me though that clones as DLC would be cool if kept at a minimal and free like Tag 2 did. I wouldn't mind Pichu, Roy, OoT Ganondorf, and Sheik as free "clone" DLC.

Also, these Amazons are better:

And erotic/fetish CG is the weirdest thing ever. I couldn't tell you the number of foot fetish pictures I found.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
If Zelda had an empty move, they can just replace it with something else. Your post reminded me though that clones as DLC would be cool if kept at a minimal and free like Tag 2 did. I wouldn't mind Pichu, Roy, OoT Ganondorf, and Sheik as free "clone" DLC.
What I meant was that they wouldn't make Impa and Zelda (with or without a new down B move) and then add Sheik to her later as DLC. That particular scenario would only work the other way around.

To be clear for those that don't know, Sakurai doesn't want to make expansions of Smash, but it's not clear what his stance on large-scale development DLC would be. (As opposed to smaller things like snapshots, level editor stages, and replays.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, he only said that just adding stuff in would not justify a sequel. This never threw DLC and updates out of the question. Then there's the fact that we're in an age where balance updates are more common and that they're more economically friendly for the consumer (patches over rebuying). My personal preference (again) on Zelda is to

1. Have Zelda has her own character and greatly revamped.
2. Include Impa as a standalone character. Playstyle could be something different or a Sheik 1.5 of sorts (compare Jun to Asuka).
3. Include Sheik as either a costume for Impa OR include Sheik as a DLC character (if they can do Bob and Slim Bob, they can do this).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Isn't a foot fetish picture just... a foot? A dirty, dirty naked foot?

I think it's certainly possible that they could release a "Melee Veterans Pack" that would include Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu and whoever else. Free... well. It's hard to say.

Huh. Anyone ever see this silly lil thing before?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Huh. Anyone ever see this silly lil thing before?
Never before, but sure looks amazing. Would buy one of those... it would complement with my golden Zelda Wii Remote I got from the Limited Edition pack for Skyward Sword.

Certainly looks better than Impa... :smirk::troll:

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
To be clear for those that don't know, Sakurai doesn't want to make expansions of Smash, but it's not clear what his stance on large-scale development DLC would be. (As opposed to smaller things like snapshots, level editor stages, and replays.)
Actually, he only said that just adding stuff in would not justify a sequel. This never threw DLC and updates out of the question.
Uhh... I just said both of those things.

I also went into why I don't think Sheik would be DLC. Either they'd have to leave an empty filler move or make an attack that they plan to remove later. Or make her a separate character. None of these really work out, in my opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly I see no good reason to defend Sheik. BUT THAT MIGHT JUST BE ME! DON'T TAKE THIS TO HEART, IT'S JUST MY:

OWN, PERSONAL, (HIGHLY-BIASED) OPINION

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Honestly I see no good reason to defend Sheik. BUT THAT MIGHT JUST BE ME! DON'T TAKE THIS TO HEART, IT'S JUST MY:

OWN, PERSONAL, (HIGHLY-BIASED) OPINION

Sakurai: You want Impa? But you already have Sheik! (Laughs)
:troll:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Thats why i think we are in for a bit of a shake up, most people assume we are just getting brawl with everything and everyone it had and more, when it might not be like that. Sakurai might take a deeper look at which characters could use some major changes, or the flat out boot. Id say we will see more changes to the existing characters than before, personally i think the smash fanbases biggest problem is being averse to change, when it could be better, most just want everyone exactly the same for traditions sake.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Apparently I was quoted in this thread, but no one quoted me. Am I missing something?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I mean, Sheik's a veteran and an established character gimmick. They're not super great reasons in terms of character representation, but they certainly are influential reasons in terms of gameplay and Smash as a series. I do think Sheik will be in the next game one way or another, and probably (boo) still as part of a Zelda duo.

Are there many people here who enjoy playing zelda/sheik more as a duo than they would playing two separated/balanced characters? I'm under the impression that Sheik players wouldn't mind having more killing blows and Zelda players wouldn't mind having a more mobile seeming character, and that seems like something that will only happen if they're separated.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Seems like Sheik/Zelda are higher on the Brawl tier list than either of the two characters played separately. Interesting...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Seems like Sheik/Zelda are higher on the Brawl tier list than either of the two characters played separately. Interesting...
Yeah, that kind of confuses me. I can't even find youtube clips of someone using both zelda/sheik in a tournament.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thats why i think we are in for a bit of a shake up, most people assume we are just getting brawl with everything and everyone it had and more, when it might not be like that. Sakurai might take a deeper look at which characters could use some major changes, or the flat out boot. Id say we will see more changes to the existing characters than before, personally i think the smash fanbases biggest problem is being averse to change, when it could be better, most just want everyone exactly the same for traditions sake.
This is fanbases in general. Smash has it bad because everyone is attached to the characters for who they are in other games. Then there's just that odd conservatism Nintendo fans tend to have which is multiplied in Smash. Finally, you have the Sakurai **** riders.

Which is funny considering how long the first transformation takes.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Might that be a reference to using Zelda as a recovery? There are instances where the only way to recover is to transform into Zelda and then teleport. (And then, obviously, play as her until an opportunity arises to revert.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zelda beats King Dedede while Sheik loses to him.

In all other matchups, Zelda sucks. She's only really good vs Dedede and Ganondorf lol. Sheik is low Mid Tier.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I always thought with Zelda/Shiek in Brawl, Shiek is good to rough them up and Zelda can provide the KO moves. Zelda definitely got a buff in Brawl as she was almost unplayable in Melee.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
One of the main problems with Zelda in Brawl was the long time she took to transform... which wasn't exactly fault of the character itself, but of the slow loading times Brawl had.

If you pause the game amid Zelda's transformation and unpause, you will see that the transform time will be shorter, because the game loaded the other character while the game was paused. Similar things happen with Pokémon Trainer's switching and Castle Siege stage's transitions.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I always thought with Zelda/Shiek in Brawl, Shiek is good to rough them up and Zelda can provide the KO moves. Zelda definitely got a buff in Brawl as she was almost unplayable in Melee.
Melee Zelda is actually better than Brawl Zelda despite the few buffs.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Brawl Zelda had a few nerfs as well, notably a lighter weight, and a slower running speed.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm torn with this choice. Half of me likes the novelty of the Zelda/Sheik duo (as a Sheik lover in Melee and a Zelda lover in Brawl) and feels like the novelty should be sustained. At the same time, Sheik is becoming increasingly irrelevant and Impa's new appearance as a Sheik-like fighter might merit Sheik being abandoned in favor of Impa, a separate, more relevant and all-new rep. However, because I actually enjoy Zelda more in Brawl than Sheik (dem sweetspots, dat uair), I wouldn't mind Impa inheriting Sheik's set and Zelda standing on her own merits.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Ultinarok
Just a word of advice.... the Sheik vs. Impa debate is a very touchy subject here.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Impa would be so much more awesome. If they could make a moveset as Sheik's for an uninspired character... like Sheik, what could they do with Impa? More.

Top Bottom