• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Zelda and Sheik won't split, neither will Samus and ZSS. Playstyle was not enough to separate them to begin with because their core identity is the same. That's why they opted for joint playstyles, albeit by different means for Zamus and Shielda. Transform via Final Smash, transform via Down Special.
And look how that's working out for them so far.

Oh I get you now.Yeah, I suppose they should try implementing a way where you can activate their final smash without getting the forced transformation. Perhaps if you were to hold on to the Final Smash button until it finishes it could trigger the transformation to be cancelled? :/
Or just put the two in separate slots, independent of one another.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think people confused "out-prioritized" with "replaced", as that's a common flawed argument towards Mewtwo and Roy.
They may not have been replaced, but they WERE out-prioritized. But then again, Jigglypuff was also out-prioritized by PT and Lucario, so that's a moot point. Jigglypuff is just different than Mewtwo in that she was able to be kept on the roster while he/it wasn't.

However, in terms of Impa, if Sheik was meant to be out-prioritized by someone, it would have happened already, since the situation for Sheik is no different than it was before, aside from OoT's remake, the summon in Scribblenauts Unlimited for Wii U, and the costume in Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2.

Midna's true form could have served a decent replacement as some people see Impa now. But it didn't happen. Why would it happen now with someone else?
No Midna wouldn't be able to be a good, worthy Sheik replacement without looking silly. Impa can easily replace Sheik without problems. I even thought for a time that Zero Suit Samus would be Sheik's replacement when I first saw her. Up till now, I still would've found that a reasonable idea. But now with Impa, there's an actual propper replacement character in Sheik's own game series. It can easily happen, and people shouldn't rule out the possibility.

D

Deleted member

No Midna wouldn't be able to be a good, worthy Sheik replacement without looking silly. Impa can easily replace Sheik without problems. I even thought for a time that Zero Suit Samus would be Sheik's replacement when I first saw her. Up till now, I still would've found that a reasonable idea. But now with Impa, there's an actual propper replacement character in Sheik's own game series. It can easily happen, and people shouldn't rule out the possibility.
Midna could have replaced Sheik just as "easily" as Impa can, and likewise, Impa replacing Sheik looks just as "silly". And there is visual proof of that, with that hacked image you posted. :troll:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No, he meant during gameplay.
What I don't get is why they needed her to switch via a Final Smash. Heck, why do they need to be together in the first place.

If you're going to be putting in two characters in together, they need to have some actual synergy and the ability to switch during the middle of combos to even remotely work. Right now, Samus and Zelda work like a tag based fighting game with no means of switching outside of trying to get away from the opponent.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Midna could have replaced Sheik just as "easily" as Impa can, and likewise, Impa replacing Sheik looks just as "silly". And there is visual proof of that, with that hacked image you posted. :troll:
Still better than Midna.

D

Deleted member

Still better than Midna.
Midna actually has a fanbase. :troll:
And essentially a titular role. (She is the Twilight Princess after all)
And can actually put up a fight instead of make a pathetic barrier. :awesome:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
However, in terms of Impa, if Sheik was meant to be out-prioritized by someone, it would have happened already, since the situation for Sheik is no different than it was before

...?
Super Smash Bros. Brawl release date: January 31, 2008
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword release date: November 18, 2011

How do you not consider the release of the game that Impa was featured in relevant "in terms of Impa"?

D

Deleted member

...?
Super Smash Bros. Brawl release date: January 31, 2008
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword release date: November 18, 2011

How do you not consider the release of the game that Impa was featured in relevant "in terms of Impa"?
...It helps to read all the way through. Then you would have understood the context of the situation for Sheik being the same.
The "in terms of Impa" part was to deviate away from the off-topic discussion I posted prior to it.

D

Deleted member

Where?

There's nothing.

Golden likes to ignore that little fact. He's been doing this for more than a year though... :rolleyes:
How cute. You give the definition of Impa support and think I've been ignoring it for more than a year. I'm well aware that there is nothing for Impa, don't need to remind me.

(And if you seriously think Midna has no fanbase, then words cannot describe how idiotic your train of thought is.).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay. Hold up you sluts. I know how to settle this.

39. Impa (82)
In 2012 out of 400 votes

38. Midna / Wolf Link (125)
In 2011 out of 700 votes

Both have fan bases. When I release my next poll, they will both be on it. So you little buttheads can finally see which one of you is right.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

>Still better than when Sheik did it

Conclusion:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think I got an ulcer from just taking a sneak peak at this thread in its current state.

D

Deleted member

:sick:
I know I used to make jokes about Impa being a twig, but it's even worse than I thought. It's like someone put her on a rack for too long while being starved.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Look Toon Impa totally being more awesome than a Toon Sheik ever could be:

New Top Tier for Smash 4. Yep.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't have a problem with Impa, this is her thread afterall. I wouldn't consider the thread toxic because of her. It's more just the Impa vs Midna bull****.

Which it is. Complete bull****.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't have a problem with Impa, this is her thread afterall. I wouldn't consider the thread toxic because of her. It's more just the Impa vs Midna bull****.

No, but honestly. Whenever do you hear someone supporting Midna nowadays? She has quickly became one of the lesser popular Zelda characters ever since Twilight Princess lots popularity and credibility of having characters in Smash. And even then, there was a lot of opposition wether we should have Zant or Midna.

D

Deleted member

If 4 posts makes the entire thread toxic, then I don't know what to tell you. I'd say the Impa discussion itself is toxic, really.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think people confused "out-prioritized" with "replaced", as that's a common flawed argument towards Mewtwo and Roy.
They may not have been replaced, but they WERE out-prioritized. But then again, Jigglypuff was also out-prioritized by PT and Lucario, so that's a moot point. Jigglypuff is just different than Mewtwo in that she was able to be kept on the roster while he/it wasn't.

However, in terms of Impa, if Sheik was meant to be out-prioritized by someone, it would have happened already, since the situation for Sheik is no different than it was before, aside from OoT's remake, the summon in Scribblenauts Unlimited for Wii U, and the costume in Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2.

Midna's true form could have served a decent replacement as some people see Impa now. But it didn't happen. Why would it happen now with someone else?
There ya go, quoted the whole thing for you, not that it actually invalidates my point in the slightest. I'll go point by point.

-Impa's eligibility wasn't a realistic thing until SS was released, which was after Brawl. This is clearly important when discussing out-prioritizing, since you can't just say "Sheik hasn't changed" and pretend that means nothing else has.

-The very fact that nothing new has happened with a character that might get replaced is in itself an argument to replace it, not the other way around.

-By your logic, nothing that could have changed for Brawl but didn't will be different in the next Smash game. Chances are that's wrong.

I have to go, but since I've literally never seen you concede a point or admit that you're wrong, I'm not really holding my breath.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If 4 posts makes the entire thread toxic, then I don't know what to tell you. I'd say the Impa discussion itself is toxic, really.

No, but honestly. Whenever do you hear someone supporting Midna nowadays? She has quickly became one of the lesser popular Zelda characters ever since Twilight Princess lots popularity and credibility of having characters in Smash. And even then, there was a lot of opposition wether we should have Zant or Midna.
I think you need to remember that Impa will be the same in three years in all likelyhood. Really Diddy. Midna's fanbase is still around, LIKE ME FOR INSTANCE, I just don't talk about her a lot. Doesn't mean she's gone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, she's clearly overruled by the people who nowadays support different Zelda characters. I supported Midna pre-Brawl, but now don't ever talk about her no more. She's kinda in the same boat as Skull Kid in this regard. And yes, Impa has all the potential of being like those. But unlike them, Impa is far more likely to be in another Zelda game, with a major role again. So nothing has to be feared.

D

Deleted member

Not having support for Smash =/= not having a fanbase. (This whole "Midna vs. Impa" thing as shortie puts it is not about Smash, funnily enough. The only thing about Smash was the point that Sheik could have been replaced in Brawl with Midna in the very same vein that Impa "can" replace Sheik now for the same reasons, and yet it didn't happen.)
Midna isn't supported for Smash 4 simply because her "ship has sailed" so to speak. Though she still has a fanbase, one that wants her to appear in future Zelda titles.
I have yet to see a legitimate level of support for Impa nor a notable fanbase.

Which is quite sad, because I see Groose has a notable fanbase. And don't get me started on Ghirahim, even if his fanbase can be almost as creepy as he is (no offense to them).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, she's clearly overruled by the people who nowadays support different Zelda characters. I supported Midna pre-Brawl, but now don't ever talk about her no more. She's kinda in the same boat as Skull Kid in this regard. And yes, Impa has all the potential of being like those. But unlike them, Impa is far more likely to be in another Zelda game, with a major role again. So nothing has to be feared.
Yeah, her popularity really came out of the left field, she's never ever had another popular incarnation besides this one. I don't know the future, but her popularity isn't as guaranteed as her role.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well of coarse she also could need a little extra vocal support. But I really feel that at this point it'll either be Impa, or no Zelda newcomer.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I think Zelda Wii U might have a lot of influence on this subject. The return of any character in that game could do a lot.

D

Deleted member

There ya go, quoted the whole thing for you, not that it actually invalidates my point in the slightest. I'll go point by point.

-Impa's eligibility wasn't a realistic thing until SS was released, which was after Brawl. This is clearly important when discussing out-prioritizing, since you can't just say "Sheik hasn't changed" and pretend that means nothing else has. Who said that Impa HAS to be the one to replace Sheik? This is what you don't seem to grasp; The same issue that is going on is the SAME AS BEFORE:
Was Sheik in a game since Ocarina of Time?
Brawl: No.
Now: No.

Can she be kicked off for the sake of relevance?
Brawl: Yes.
Now: Yes.

Is there someone else that can theoretically take her place?
Brawl: Yes. True Midna.

Now: Yes. Young Impa.

Nothing has really changed. Sheik is still as "irrelevant" as she was in the past, and once again, there's a relevant option available to replace her. Yet, Brawl didn't replace her. Why does it seem reasonable for it to happen now?

-The very fact that nothing new has happened with a character that might get replaced is in itself an argument to replace it, not the other way around. And yet Brawl didn't. Seems to me the whole "might get replaced" thing is a load of bull****.
Brawl also didn't replace Ness with Lucas, despite that being Melee's original plan. No, Lucas was added alongside Ness, despite Ness not being in Mother 3 and not having a game since 1994 (so longer than Sheik).

-By your logic, nothing that could have changed for Brawl but didn't will be different in the next Smash game. Chances are that's wrong. Ok then, Captain Falcon could have had his Falcon Punch replaced with his gun, but it didn't happen. By your logic, he will have his gun instead of a Falcon Punch this time.

I have to go, but since I've literally never seen you concede a point or admit that you're wrong, I'm not really holding my breath. Then you haven't seen enough. I have conceded points and admitted my errors when people actually give me a reason to. You haven't done jack squat to warrant it.
Responses in red.

Top Bottom