• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm seconding Ivysaur, and only Ivysaur.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
No offence Pants but I don't understand why people keep referencing your videos.

Firstly, I doubt many people are inspired to play a game by a combo video. 14 year olds watch Ganondorf combo videos and suddenly think he's an amazing char, anyone who knows what an OOS game is knows that the Ganondorf was just a good player who uploaded one-in-20 match occurences, and/or was just exploiting the mistakes of lesser players who don't know the MU.

Secondly, correct me if I'm wrong, but your opponents didn't seem like they were exactly what you'd call high-level opposition. About 4 of them just either fell into usamshes without inputting any commands, or literally just stood there while you did it.

Half the video just seemed to be you hitting uairs on people who were inputting no commands, they weren't even trying to retreat and bait aerials, they were just moving towards you.

Like for example in the middle section, which I'm guessing is supposed is to indicate mid-level opposition, there was a Ganondorf who was trying to approach from about 2-3 Ivysaur bodies away with flame choke, and did it twice in a row, seriously even I know you never do that as the Dorfster.

I don't know what the metagame was like a year ago, but I don't think alot of the stuff in the vid would work on high-level players of the current metagame. I'm not trying to take away from your skill Pants, I know you had/have a good Ivysaur, but I think using a vid like that to gauge Ivysaur's competitive potential is misleading.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything I've said.
People who were in the video included PMIRL, Yostuffstank AD and various others.
and im not just talking about just combosaur.. im talking about the collab video with zeta, PMIRL yostuffstank and I.

you doubt people were inspired to play based off a combo video?... that to me sounds a little absurd. I remember the 1st time I saw linkology by germ and the DBR combo vids.... whether or not DI was correct or the opponents "could have done this to get out" watching those videos made you wanna pick up a controller and get better.

go ahead and disect the videos as much as you want what it comes down to is they inspired people to play PT.

You wonder why people keep refferencing my videos?
its because there hasnt been a new highlight video of PT since Combosaur... what else are they supposed to refference?

I miss the old days of the PT community where we were a unified front. now it seems that its just a social hiearchy of elitists

Toby.

Smash Master
I don't think its a hierarchy of elitists. Most of the time the board runs pretty smoothly and politely.

I am disappointed that you've suddenly been targeted though. A combo video can be outdated and still inspire people.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
I would agree to a certain extent. but its a little difficult to dispute when you have a private backroom that ppl have to be voted in to be able to view.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Pants you come out the blue! :laugh:

Well I just want to say further that Pants' videos still give some inspiration. Though there have been a few combo videos since Combosaur as I watch videos often. T-Block did one and a couple of others, though I don't know if they post here on Smashboards or not, but the Ivysaur that still gets my attention has been Pants and also Shamcas89 (though Shamcas89 did not do a Ivy specific video). Not to say T-Block didn't have a good Ivy, just saying that the basis I learned to develop my Ivy came from their videos, with Pants being the more prominent Ivy user.

I play FFAs a lot now in Anyone Brawl, and my Ivysaur does create a lot of trouble for other players. I consider Ivy like "crowd control".

I would like to see other players do Ivysaur only highlight videos. I am going to do one in the near future myself. I hope to face some good opponents and I know a few who can be especially nasty with MetaKnight and Snake. :laugh:

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
The New Pokemon Trainer Back Room

toby hates joy.
toby hates young pts so full of hope running about dreaming of beating marths mks and snakes.
ptbr was a social hangout, thats fun and cool but its not getting us anywhere.
its business time.
its **** times.
**** is serious business.
toby is going to come up with some criteria for entrance into the ptbr
we would like to actually work on projects that will advance our meta game.
jokes are always welcome, but we want to DO WORK son.
so if you were kicked out of the PTBR no hard feelings, you most likely will be invited back, just with new expectations.

People under review for P.T.B.R.
This is based on PMs to PTBR members, vids of your gameplay, and the general content and manner of your PT board posts. Plus if you have cool hair or are just super funny. Both is a plus.

Vermiis
T-Block
10characters

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
When I first saw that thread about how the BR was being reinvented, I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty excited.

Then nothing happened.

Toby.

Smash Master
Stuff happened. For about a week after that everything was busy busy busy.

Then I got mega owned by the sudden appearance of uni assignments, and then about a week later my grandfather had a stroke which he is slowly recovering from.

These things pretty much eliminated any chance I had of keeping things alive.

But now im on holidays so who knows what surprises I might have in store for you. WHO KNOWS.

P.S Hey Meno =)

With Ivysaur:

Dthrow is your best setup move, but it is difficult to land the grab. Ivysaur's grab (frame 13) is slower than human reaction time. Oh the lols. You can lead into the grab with a nair. For best results, try and crossover so you are coming down behind them. If your opponent is concerned about nair to bullet seed, the grab becomes a lot easier to land because they will more inclined to hide in their shield.

Razor leaf to grab is hardly guaranteed, but it is an option.

Once you've landed the grab, dthrow at low to mid percents puts the opponent in a super special awesome position above us! From here we get mystical followups, such as vine whip, nair, uair and fair depending on what the opponent does. If your opponent is the type of person who will immediately air dodge to escape vine whip or uair, then you can have fun with super special up smashes or pivot grabs as well, provided they are at low percents.

Anyway. Be careful with bair. It gives good characters lots of handy dandy free followups if you don't cancel it on the ground. Marth gets a free tippered fsmash. Delicious.

Ftilt is mega unsafe on shield. If they aren't at the very end (which does 2% damage btw) you are going to get punished in your end lag. Depending on the character you can get away with them being a little closer to get some more reasonable damage, but be careful.

Dtilt is quite nice for spacing and has really respectable range. It also has decent knockback and a good launch trajectory. It shield pokes a fair bit if you opponent doesn't angle their shield down. If you have to fight against marth you will probably be using this a fair bit.

Speaking of marth, if he lands a forward throw on you at low to mid percents, we lose the stock. Ivysaur has no way of stopping a fast attack immediately in front of him in the air. If he lands a fair at any time it's sort of bad too. So yeah...have fun with that I guess.

Now I'm going to go have breakfast.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Stuff happened. For about a week after that everything was busy busy busy.

Then I got mega owned by the sudden appearance of uni assignments, and then about a week later my grandfather had a stroke which he is slowly recovering from.

These things pretty much eliminated any chance I had of keeping things alive.

But now im on holidays so who knows what surprises I might have in store for you. WHO KNOWS.
Toby is going to summarrrizze the entire year from the backroom and post it on the normal boards.

i was gunna.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather, Toby. My grandparents had some close calls this year too. It's sad to think that one day we'll all start having problems just by being old. :( Hopefully he'll continue to feel better.

I don't mean to sound like a bother, but it would be cool to get some BR updates from time to time. To those of us on the outside, it seems like nothing's going on.

Toby.

Smash Master
Thanks Zigsta. I appreciate it.

Lately there's been nothing going on in the BR, so the impression you guys get is somewhat accurate.. There have been a lot of periods of productivity, and a lot of times when we'll go weeks without mentioning anything apart from music and such.

I expect that I'll come back from this holiday with quite a lot of enthusiasm. I don't have my wii here, which will give me a good reason to write up some of the more recent metagame developments rather than just using them.

*Starts writing*

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
did ivy only teams with meno a week ago

on rainbow cruise

****'s hilarious

also his ivy is pretty legit

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Floating away on that carpet past the pendulum was probably the most horrific experience I've ever had in Smash/life.

I had literally zero options, and it started to flash.

omg

Top Bottom