• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm going to be maining the better kong!

ADHD

Smash Hero
(One tier placement)

I guess I need a backup for stages like lylat cruise and brinstar and DK is a kong so wth diddy and dk aren't a bad pair at all! I just wanted to ask some questions since my dk absolutely sucks right now. What are some other good stages for dk? How do you approach? I don't know what to do other than bair, and in general I just have no idea what to do when an opponent is in mid-range. Does the jab combo into anything? And when to use the side b. Is ftilt or dtilt better in terms of close combat? If you have other any knowledge that you'd like to share please say it and thanks ;)

Tujex

Smash Ace
Skim through the various topics throughout this board, because there is a ton of stuff on DK because ALL of his moves have uses.

Dair, Fair, and SideB all meteor smash.
Bair owns in just about all situations.
OoS Dsmash owns.
Grounded UpB owns and ***** shields
Aerial SideB ***** shields
Charged his Neutral B with 9 winds (count ten winding sounds if you do it by ear) and his punch has much more knocback and can kill at ridiculously low percentages...with a lack of Super Armor. The fully charged punch is weaker, but it has super armor which tears through most attacks.
Dthrow to dtilt/ftilt/DownB is a good low percentage combo that can be connected to Fsmash and charged NeutralB's.
DownB owns spotdodges, shields, rolls, and ruins most ground based approaches.
Uptilt combos most heavy characters

I mean...there's tons of stuff ont he big ape. Someone else is sure to come along and tell you what I missed or fix my mistakes.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah pretty much what Tujex said.

On the ground, approach with ftilt or running up-b.

Grounded up-b is my favorite move, cause it has super armor at the beginning, and it's pretty much unstoppable unless you get so predictable that your opponent sees it coming a mile away. But even then, it sometimes works.
When in doubt, just spam up-b and it'll probably work.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
best stages - jungle japes, brinstar, luigis mansion, good pretty much everywhere but frigate, yoshi's, and rainbow cruise

use lots of tilts, utilt, and your choice of ftilt or dtilt, the both poke well, ftilt has more range, up close AA- ftilt - AA will work, dtilt combos like crazy, but less range

all his specials are good, sideb is best as a mixup when they think you're gonna bair, upb is good any time, you need to learn to time SA for the punches, and downb is a great poke/roll eater

fair and dair are for offstage use only, don't use them over the stage, save uair for KO's, bair a lot, don't use nair

work in fsmashes as pokes from time to time, catches em off guard and pressures they're shield, dsmash OOS or after a roll/spotdodge is great, usmash is a great punish move.

when they're by the ledge, pressure them with smashes/downb

other than that, get used to him, you gotta get a feel for when you should tilt/smash/downb/punch

also, don't let cbk get your top or it's all over

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
yeah DK's metagame isnt that deep, they just made him a really well built character

learn to RAR and instant ledgehog

ADHD

Smash Hero
yeah DK's metagame isnt that deep, they just made him a really well built character

learn to RAR and instant ledgehog
what is css and cbk? and you mean just a fast fall edgehog or does dk have some weird faster way to edgehog.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
css=cargo stage spike

instant ledgehogging, its hard to explain but i'll do my best:
when you run over to a ledge, run over it, and then quickly rotate the control stick in a U towards the ledge
what this will do is make your character fastfall and fall towards the ledge and it will grab the ledge
its not exclusive to DK

Tujex

Smash Ace
Cargo Stage Spike. Grab your opponent and Fthrow them (the cargo hold), and carry them off stage. It takes some practice to get the timing down, but once offstage Bthrow them into the stage and they'll ricochet off the stage to their deaths. Only works at about 50+%? Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's also one where you Cargo hold them off stage, but turn towards the stage as you fall and Dthrow them so they fly underneath the stage. ***** certain characters recoveries.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Cargo Stage Spike. Grab your opponent and Fthrow them (the cargo hold), and carry them off stage. It takes some practice to get the timing down, but once offstage Bthrow them into the stage and they'll ricochet off the stage to their deaths. Only works at about 50+%? Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's also one where you Cargo hold them off stage, but turn towards the stage as you fall and Dthrow them so they fly underneath the stage. ***** certain characters recoveries.
I thought it was F throw, btw you can c-stick the throw it's much easier in terms of timing.

]Oh yeah I have one last question, you know how DK has a really far get up attack from the ledge and an occasionally short one? How can I control the lengths?

i1337

Smash Ace
also...cbk is a user on the dk boards, lol. the "top" thing is a meme...lol....

by instant edgehog i think he means the upb stall, drop off the ledge and use upb right away. it has invincibility frames on startup :)

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
oh, no, i was talking about something else, not the drop off ledge to up b stall, but thats pretty useful too

Luigi player

Smash Master
(One tier placement)

I guess I need a backup for stages like lylat cruise and brinstar and DK is a kong so wth diddy and dk aren't a bad pair at all! I just wanted to ask some questions since my dk absolutely sucks right now. What are some other good stages for dk? How do you approach? I don't know what to do other than bair, and in general I just have no idea what to do when an opponent is in mid-range. Does the jab combo into anything? And when to use the side b. Is ftilt or dtilt better in terms of close combat? If you have other any knowledge that you'd like to share please say it and thanks ;)
Yeah DK and Diddy are nice. Diddy is my main and DK my secondary (with Ness) too ^^

Good stages for DK:

Well platform stages are good for him usually. Brinstar, Delfino and Jungle Japes are my favourites though. Halberd is nice too also.

As for approaches:

I use ftilt and bair mostly. If your enemy is too far away to hit you maybe downB is good. UpB is also an option.

If your enemy is near enough to be hit with dtilt then I think dtilt > ftilt, but ftilt has more range so it's better if your enemy is too far away for a dtilt (or if the enemy approaches with a sh or something).

ADHD

Smash Hero
Traitor. How could you Chrome?
I'm using them both, it's a kong family relax. I needed a brinstar/lylat backup because diddy just sucks no matter what you do on those stages. I probably won't use dk other than for those two stages unless I can work him up to a calibur as good as my diddy but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I really hope Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong aren't members of the same family. There's way too much wrong with that.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
diddy is donkey's nephew
dixie is diddy's sister
cranky is donkey's grandpa
so i'm guessing all the other kongs are cousins?

hah, they have a ****ed up family tree

Veggi

Smash Champion
diddy is donkey's nephew
dixie is diddy's sister
cranky is donkey's grandpa
so i'm guessing all the other kongs are cousins?

hah, they have a ****ed up family tree
Actually Dixie is Diddy's girlfriend, so that would be wierd.
Cranky is his grandpa usually, but it's been said that Cranky was his Dad before, I think it was by Rare.
Lanky Kong is a cousin, Kiddy is Dixie's assumed cousin because Funky calls him cuz, Chunky is Kiddy's older brother and Tiny is Dixie's younger sister. I'm not sure where Funky and Candy fit in, but I think Candy is DK's gf or something.

Poret

Smash Rookie
Actually Dixie is Diddy's girlfriend, so that would be wierd.
Cranky is his grandpa usually, but it's been said that Cranky was his Dad before, I think it was by Rare.
Lanky Kong is a cousin, Kiddy is Dixie's assumed cousin because Funky calls him cuz, Chunky is Kiddy's older brother and Tiny is Dixie's younger sister. I'm not sure where Funky and Candy fit in, but I think Candy is DK's gf or something.
Cranky Kong was Donkey Kong from the arcades, then in Donkey Kong Country for SNES he grew up into Cranky Kong. Donkey Kong Jr. from Mario Kart SNES grew up into Donkey Kong. That makes Cranky Donkey's dad. I see where people get confused since Cranky is so old LOL :laugh:. I mean really he needs two canes to hold him up.

I'm pretty sure Candy is DK's girlfriend. I've never played DK64 though so I can't give any more insight on that.

Oh and I beat all three Donkey Kong Country's about 5 times so I'm not pulling this out of my butt so don't worry! :laugh:

Veggi

Smash Champion
Cranky Kong was Donkey Kong from the arcades, then in Donkey Kong Country for SNES he grew up into Cranky Kong. Donkey Kong Jr. from Mario Kart SNES grew up into Donkey Kong. That makes Cranky Donkey's dad. I see where people get confused since Cranky is so old LOL :laugh:. I mean really he needs two canes to hold him up.

I'm pretty sure Candy is DK's girlfriend. I've never played DK64 though so I can't give any more insight on that.

Oh and I beat all three Donkey Kong Country's about 5 times so I'm not pulling this out of my butt so don't worry! :laugh:
I know Cranky was the original DK because he was in the same spot playing his record in the intro to DKC. What confuses me is that I don't recall it ever being said the relation he has to the new DK. Also, Donkey Kong Jr. first appeared in the arcade game, or Game and Watch game, I can't remember. I know I had it on Game and Watch though. The thing is that DK jr. could be DK's Dad, although that seems unlikely and your theory seems more accurate. The chance is still there though, now Swanky Kong, I have no idea where he came from.

Wow, I never even beat the first DKC, I'm having trouble trying to get past the elevator level somewhere after the flaming oil barrel platforming stage and the one with the platform that takes you around the whole level. It's so much easier to just use Diddy and duck under everything. :laugh:

Also, did you join to say that? lol.

Poret

Smash Rookie
I know Cranky was the original DK because he was in the same spot playing his record in the intro to DKC. What confuses me is that I don't recall it ever being said the relation he has to the new DK. Also, Donkey Kong Jr. first appeared in the arcade game, or Game and Watch game, I can't remember. I know I had it on Game and Watch though. The thing is that DK jr. could be DK's Dad, although that seems unlikely and your theory seems more accurate. The chance is still there though, now Swanky Kong, I have no idea where he came from.

Wow, I never even beat the first DKC, I'm having trouble trying to get past the elevator level somewhere after the flaming oil barrel platforming stage and the one with the platform that takes you around the whole level. It's so much easier to just use Diddy and duck under everything. :laugh:

Also, did you join to say that? lol.
LOL no I like Brawl and all and joined so maybe I could get into competitive Smash. IDK though because I live in NJ and I don't know of any tourney's around my part :laugh:.

I just like DKC!!

Poret

Smash Rookie
uhh, nj might suck for sports, but it's got a really good smash scene, m2k is up there
Oh I take back that last statement then :laugh:. I'll have to be on my toes for the next tourney around my area. Anyone know of any coming up in Central NJ area?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Oh I take back that last statement then :laugh:. I'll have to be on my toes for the next tourney around my area. Anyone know of any coming up in Central NJ area?
Check the Atlantic North regional zone boards.

Poret

Smash Rookie
Check the Atlantic North regional zone boards.
Cool I'll have to browse around that section. I actually know nothing about counterpicks or counter stages though. Maybe by Febuary I'll have enough DK skill to stand a chance.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
You have chosen well. Donkey Kong is one bada** beast.

It seems that many guys in NC understand that too. We've got a lot of DK mainers.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
You have chosen well. Donkey Kong is one bada** beast.

It seems that many guys in NC understand that too. We've got a lot of DK mainers.
Hell yeah! Represent DK. I just got 2nd in doubles and 3rd in teams at PLUR's tourney on Saturday.

Top Bottom