• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm Done with Brawl

Uffe

Smash Hero
Link to original post: [drupal=1715]I'm Done with Brawl[/drupal]

For starters, I had played the game for about a year and a half. Eventually one day my brother's Wii decided to just die. I was thinking, "We'll just get it fixed or buy a new one." Well, it never happened. Neither one eventually happened. A week had passed. What were weeks turned into a month along with a few more weeks.

Now, I'd say I was pretty decent at Brawl. I actually put tons of effort into getting better, but even after a year, I would have expected to be a lot better. At least as good as some names that are well known now. It never happened. With the Wii suddenly dead, my days of playing Brawl went from wanting to play it to not even caring about it anymore.

To make matters worse, I'd have to start all over again. I'd have to get better again. You know what I think about that? I think it's stupid. I work so hard for a year and a half and it only takes a couple of weeks or a month to suck horribly at this game. Some people don't even practice and that irks me a lot.

Besides this being the reason of not caring so much about the game now, there are already people better than me that main the same character as me. It seems as if I'm useless now. I don't attend tournaments anyway, so why should I care? Nobody ever comments on how good I am or what I could work on, so why should I care?

The thing is, I did care. A lot. I wanted to get really good, prove people how good I was and all it took was a month to kill that. Another thing is that I'd ask for help, but nobody would. It's obvious they feared of losing their title. I figured that I'd just get better on my own without the help of others.

Besides all that, life is getting in the way. I'm going to have to work and so basically I feel no need to play this game anymore. It's pathetic, too, because I could have been doing bigger things than getting good at some game that has absolutely no meaning. So I'm done. I'm not playing Brawl ever again. I will not touch it ever again and I don't plan on playing any Smash related game from here on out.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Seems like a waste of talent if you ask me. If you like something, stick with it. Persevere.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Playing videos games is abut having fun. Getting better is second to having fun. I probably will never be the best brawler in the world. But i enjoy playing brawl which is y i continue to play it.

finalark

SNORLAX
As Bob said, having fun comes second to becoming good. So if I were you I'd just play some other games until you get your Wii repaired. After that try going back to Brawl, starting over might not be that bad.

Or you could just, you know, copy a friend's data.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well now that's the attitude isn't it?

I can understand when things like life get in the way that make you unable to play this game, but that's such a losing mentality.

Have you heard of unsung heroes? Sad truth is not everybody gets the recognition they want, but you're going to have to deal with it. Besides that it shouldn't matter what other people think of you, but what you think of yourself, and the way I interpret it, you don't/didn't want to get anywhere.

What's going to happen as time goes by and you find more things you can't/don't want to do because something got in the way and now you think it's pointless? You don't even want to keep going? Apparently all the time you wasted in this game has gone to vain, hasn't it? Fine by me though, there's nothing wrong with stopping now, you might as well save yourself the trouble huh?

Because like many other things, of course you're going to get bad at whatever it was when you're out of practice. You'll also be glad to know that some people have a natural talent for this kind of thing, whereas some others will have to earn their place. Practice however makes anybody better at something if they have enough determination to do so.

Now it's a problem of people being better than you? H'oh boy, don't you think by now that you should know that there will always be somebody better than you? Of course this isn't saying don't try, but now are you going to be this disheartened when you see somebody better than you? Again now this is a problem of what you think of yourself, if you're think you're useless, then you are. I'm sure everybody makes a contribution every now and then, but do you acknowledge any you have made? Oh wow now we get to where the problem of wanting to be recognized is, you say you don't even go to tournaments. Who the Hell is going to know who you are over the internet? Certainly not any random person or community when you're just another stranger to them. If you wanted to be looked up to then you probably should've looked for a local community to get better with, because God knows how "great" wi-fi is for getting better, but hey again there's no ponit in doing this if you don't even want to make the effort.

Again, go ahead and quit, although you won't be able to deny what's happened in this past year, whether you want to deny it or not it will be with you for the rest of your life. What makes a difference is whether or not you wanted to make something out of all this.

You could have, but you didn't, did you? Technically you have nothing to gain out of playing video games, but there had to be a reason to make this a hobby. There's no point in turning back now unless like you said you have something better to gain from doing real-life stuff like learning how to play a banjo or some other thing, but hey why not make a passion out of what you love to do... unless playing games felt more like a chore to you then a hobby.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'll probably stop playing Brawl too, seeing as TMNT: Smash Up is far more competitive and makes that effort to be competitive, as well as stay away from cheapness.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Goodbye Uffe. I wouldnt worry much about practicing or getting bad because u havent practiced. All u have learned will still be there. Even when I dont practice I still remember every single toon AT (and theyre alot) and how to do them. And once I play like 3 matches Im warmed up like always. But that may just be me not needing practice. I guess there are ppl out there that DO need to practice :S.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'll probably stop playing Brawl too, seeing as TMNT: Smash Up is far more competitive and makes that effort to be competitive, as well as stay away from cheapness.
This is off-topic, but where is such proof?

S

smash brawl player 99021

I second Kinzer's statement. I'm pretty sure that game hasn't come out yet either... =/
Sakurai is making that too. (wonder if turtles trip on their own). OH WAIT SQUIRTLE AND BOWSER!

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I say you get your wii fixed and do at least one more match to see how you'll still feel about it. You should just give it one more go because if you quit you might regret it and try to get back at the level you were always at.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Go ahead and quit if you want, it's your decision.

If you're planning on quitting smash in general, then go ahead and don't bother with it.

...or you could always buy a GC with melee and love your life.

Either way, it's up to you. I've seen tons of blogs with this exact title, so your not alone.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Let me guess what happened to your Wii. Disk drive just stopped spinning? This happened to me a month ago and now I've lost the will to play the game. The only thing I ever used my Wii for was Brawl, and buying another, for one game, isn't worth it.

I've already opened up my Wii, and the parts were just faulty. Nintendo gave me a drive that didn't last two years.

D

Deleted member

Same thing happened to me. My Wii "broke" and I lost a bunch of skill at the game, and I honestly don't feel like doing it again. No need to get angry or anything though, it's just a game.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
But...when I saw the name "Uffe" I immediately thought "Ness main"

That says something doesn't it? D:

I guess I don't know how good or bad you are, but at least I recognize the name easily, and know you play Ness. lol :/

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
^ Wtf, stalker. >_>

Melee has come and gone. Don't do it.

Anyway, I know people that don't even own Brawl and still do extremely well in it. Oh well, it's your choice.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
^^^ What Kawaii said. My friend doesn't own Brawl or a Wii (and plays like every other month at a friend's house) and still pwnz with Lucas. I'm sure someone in your area would enjoy Brawling company.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I can beat people on brawl even if I haven't played it in forever, it called metaknight and lack of hard things to do. Now if you didn't play melee for a month then you might suck because it isn't I pick up and oh I just beat someone that has played for years because it isn't even

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I can beat people on brawl even if I haven't played it in forever, it called metaknight and lack of hard things to do.
You have to do something before you type, it's called reading. He never said anything about Metaknight or anything about Melee. He plays Ness. Metaknight and Ness are two different characters. It's hard to play Ness. Not playing for a month can ruin your playing with him.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
For people saying to play Melee, pay attention.

Link to original post: [drupal=1715]I don't plan on playing any Smash related game from here on out.
EDIT: Kinzer!

"For the most part TMNT Smash-up is blast, as long as you shove away the preconception that it's a full-on Smash Bros. clone. You don't have smash-out attacks, and life bars take the place of percentage-based damage, but there are a lot of similarities. For starters, you've got a basic attack (A button) and heavy attack (B) to make use of. Every direction – we're talking up, down, straight sides, and angles – are all tied to different attacks, with the A attack being quicker jabs and combos and B being larger, slower attacks that yield huge results. You can sprint by double-tapping, attack out of a sprint, dodge/roll, and even block and evade. Blocking too much puts you in a vulnerable state though, so like Smash Bros. it's as much about evasion and positioning as anything else.

As for the turtles themselves, each controls very different, and – like Tournament Fighters – each uses different combos. This also rings true with the other playable characters in the E3 demo, including Shredder (very slow and powerful), Splinter (faster than Shred-head, but a bit weaker), and the agile ninja-like April (fast with decent range). Raph, Leo, Don, and Mike also have their own properties, and with actual combos for each fighter the game is more about learning a few key fighters that you dig and sticking with them. I got the hang of Leonardo after a bit, but when switching over to my favorite turtle in the bunch (Raph) had no idea what I was doing. There's a lot of depth here for players looking to learn the intricacies of each character, and unlike Smash Bros. you can't just grab any random character, check out their B, up-B, and down-B and be pretty much set. Yeah, there's more to Smash Bros. then that, but with TMNT you've got a lot of hidden combos and special attacks similar to something like Tekken or DOA. Oh yeah, and you've also got grabs and dodges for stopping turtle players (the blocking type…not the green dudes) and spammers respectively.

We'll see how the game shapes up from here on out, but thus far it's pretty entertaining. The life meter means you've got more direct combat and less of the whole smash-based, tense "am I alive or dead?" moments, but the game also has a larger emphasis on combo attacks and character memorization. With a nice blend of smooth animations (surprisingly strong) and a decent amount of fan service this one looks to be an obvious choice for TMNT fans, though we're not sure if the Smash crowd will latch on."
From IGN.

raincatchfire

Smash Journeyman
yeah, go play melee. sell your junk wii and buy a gc and the game. brawl is a snoozefest anyways. and once you practice in melee, its gonna take a heck of a lot more than time to kill your skill. muscle memory will stay with you forever pretty much.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Di you NOT READ his POST?!

He says he isn't playing ANY Smash related game, EVER.

Top Bottom