• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Matchups

Y-L

Smash Champion
Anyone have trouble with Marth's fthrow (maybe its dthrow) chaingrabs to f smash? Seems like I can't even DI out at low %.

[rant]Marth's grab range is so ridiculous aside from the fact that he already has a huge dd range and retardly good edgeguarding tools[/rant]

Commander

Smash Ace
Anyone have trouble with Marth's fthrow (maybe its dthrow) chaingrabs to f smash? Seems like I can't even DI out at low %.

[rant]Marth's grab range is so ridiculous aside from the fact that he already has a huge dd range and retardly good edgeguarding tools[/rant]
It's fthrow and the only way you can DI is out and then you get hit by tipped fsmash. It only works at low % though.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master

After the first three (?) grabs, you should be able to escape by DI'ing away and down so that you can tech. From personal experience, it seems like if you DI down and away, FThrow -> tipper should only work at low %s when you're thrown over the edge (at which you need to DI up and towards the stage to not die).

Rayzorium

Smash Apprentice
I actually feel that Ike is favored in this match, or it's at least even. Yes, Marth is very good at edge guarding Ike, but Ike is also good at edge guarding Marth. Marth's DD game is somewhat mitigated by QD mixups. Ike has so many options and there's so little time to respond to what he ends up doing. Marth's neutral, though still good, looks a lot less godlike. And Ike's punish game on Marth is not only good, but it's fairly forgiving on execution. Totally free follow ups out of throws and QD hit, regardless of DI.

I'd like to bring up Falco again because he's pretty terrifying. I ran into a good Falco for the first time at a tournament yesterday who absolutely demolished me, at least at first. It's tough because Ike needs some room to operate, but with room, Falco just lasers. And once he's in your face, he's right in your face and you're either shielding or just got nair shined because you weren't shielding.

Can you roll safely? Ike has a pretty fast roll - realistically, can Falco consistently react to a roll if he's going ham on your shield? Because just about anything else gets me shined/utilted. Towards the end I was doing a hell of a lot better on DL64 by hanging out more on platforms. On a smaller stage, I think it wouldn't be as safe but on DL64 it seemed to weaken his neutral game significantly.

Here are the matches:

http://www.twitch.tv/houstongameguys/b/519128279

Bo5 sets. First set starts at 2:27:15, second set right after at 2:38:40. They're sandwiched by friendlies; plz ignore. >_>

Masterphailure

Smash Cadet
Falco's pressure is indeed strong against our hero. I still haven't found a way to consistently avoid the pressure besides roll but that can lead to some nasty FSmashes if the Falco starts to catch on. You can attempt a WD OoS against him, it seems like the safest option Ike has against his projectile and could help relieve pressure against his heavy Shine Aerial combo

Commander

Smash Ace
Its been a while since I played a good Falco so I can't speak from experience but it certainly seems there is quite a bit you can do against him. I would mostly spend neutral at max range of nair and ftilt. This way when he tries to get in you could easily hit him and if he tries to get in particularly fast you can jab him instead. You either start a combo or reenter neutral, much like the Marth match up. Of course like Marth you should be looking for grab opportunities. When there is a large amount of space and Falco is layering you have to power shield and jump around to avoid them but you can also use counter to deal with them(check the frame data @ Thane of Blue Flames Thane of Blue Flames , Ike's counter is only a frame away from Marth's at most). Counter is particularly fun when the Falco is aggressive because they may chase the laser and get hit by the counter which gives them a nice flat 10% of damage.

Any on have tips on MetaKnight? Currently I feel that I have to use Marth because Ike is too slow. Ike can probably still deal with him but it seems like more work than its worth.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brian, techrolls have 20 frames of vulnerability. 21-40.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's hard to combo Bowser from 0% to death from a single grab because NAir armor can interrupt aerial combos and a perfect up+B leaves at most 6 frames to punish a standing tech (not sure about techrolls though).
was responding to this

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Does anyone know the best way to smash DI out of Ness' PK Fire?

I got a friend with a really solid Ness who loves to throw side-B as much as he can, and whenever he catches me with it, he follows it up with d-throw to big damage.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Yeah, so I don't play Ike, but a guy that goes to the same weekly as me does and I don't really know if this is the right thread for this, but he did a neat edgeguard against a Lucas that I thought was pretty cool. Looks like it will help with dealing with that pesky tether sometimes. Might even work against other characters with tethers as well.

http://youtu.be/3vR2klm9PNg?t=6m35s

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
Huh, had no idea. What was the verdict?
Eruption was a good option against tethers but it is hard to land since it requires percise timing so it is often a better choice to go off stage and hit the character tethering because there is only a few places they can actually be in before they real and you can hit them hard during those moments. Eruption is a better option against short tethers like Lucas's because they are so fast, but because they are so close they are often very open to b spiked.

Commander

Smash Ace
Dair (flub hit or initial hit) is usually a great option.
I think the flub hit works well on characters far from the stage since it forces immediate up specials or whatever and Ike is fast enough to get to the ledge first. I read somewhere on these boards about dair flub comboing into bair so that would be a good option whenever you flub.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Can someone please explain the Falco matchup to me?

I just can't do anything.

Y-L

Smash Champion

The projectiles are hard to deal with but what you should rely on is uthrow chain grab [can lead to a pretty consistent fsmash at 55ish percent (I know this is true for Fox so I assume it is true for Falco as well please correct me if I am wrong)] and edgeguarding. Ike should never let a Falco get back on stage once he's off. Fair and walk off fair deals with his up b and if you have enough time, f smash deals with side b. Try not to rely on QD and full hop/double jump ->fair/nair to approach Try to get as many grabs as possible.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace

You're goal is to get in close as soon as possible to keep Falco from being able to laser. You can deal with laser by Power Shielding, Wavedashing out of Shield, and counter.

MLGF

Smash Lord
OK, that solves half the problem thank you.
Any advice on how to deal with Falco's pressure game however? Because that was the more... difficult portion.

And I can deal with Fox's pressure game fine. Something about Falco is so much more difficult however.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
OK, that solves half the problem thank you.
Any advice on how to deal with Falco's pressure game however? Because that was the more... difficult portion.

And I can deal with Fox's pressure game fine. Something about Falco is so much more difficult however.
What kind of pressure are you talking about?

MLGF

Smash Lord
I'm extremely bad at explaining things like that. So yeah:
http://www.twitch.tv/guaranteeddamage/b/521288489

I went MK the first match, so screw that. I believe the 2nd matchup starts around 3:14.

The third match I was just completely demoralized, so don't really consider that game. That one was just... painful.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
How to fight Falco:

a) Disconnect controller
b) Beat opponent to death with said controller
c) Quit Smash
d) Go on a long road trip where you discover life, love ... and yourself.
e) Return to your old apartment. Realize that you are a transient being trying to make sense of a cruel, chaotic, uncaring world. A world in which Falco exists. That someday, your pain will fade. Someday. Even if it is when you cease to be.
f) Die a peaceful death, never having touched a Smash game ever again.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm extremely bad at explaining things like that. So yeah:
http://www.twitch.tv/guaranteeddamage/b/521288489

I went MK the first match, so screw that. I believe the 2nd matchup starts around 3:14.

The third match I was just completely demoralized, so don't really consider that game. That one was just... painful.
I found your game at around 1:55:00. I really like what you're doing with the full hop approaches which is really important against projectile spammy characters. The flaws that I saw were that you definitely were not grabbing enough. I saw a lot of opportunities were you could get grabs. Also, I noticed when you did QD (I know you can't QD a lot of projectile chars), but when you did, you opted for QD attack (I'm guessing, as you just moved all the way through with the QD). Try to use more attacks out of QD like nair, fair, and reverse bair. The last thing I would suggest is that you go for more walk off fairs to edgeguard. I noticed you go off stage a bit, but you didn't go through with a lot of the fair edgeguards and kind of retreated. It's important to go far out there to edgeguard Lucas as he has a really good recovery if he is not edgeguarded aggresively. You could try to throw in some surprise counters as well when you are getting pressured hard or are stuck near the edge. Hope this helps!

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ah yes, I was actually too grab happy and was badly punished before and now I'm trying to find ways to mixup on quick draws more.

Still working on that... a lot.

And wrong match, 3:14:00 is losers finals against a Falco player. And I was extremely outplayed, but I still feel it could have been closer.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ah yes, I was actually too grab happy and was badly punished before and now I'm trying to find ways to mixup on quick draws more.

Still working on that... a lot.

And wrong match, 3:14:00 is losers finals against a Falco player. And I was extremely outplayed, but I still feel it could have been closer.
Yeah I would say you would just have to be more aggressive. Try the ol' jab->jab->grab and try to get some shield grabs in there. Work on your off stage punishing. Instead of waiting and trying to punish firebird with counter, jump off stage and fair to get him out of there. It's a tough matchup though, I feel you.

Y-L

Smash Champion
@ metroid1117 metroid1117 have you fought any good Tinks? How do you deal with the matchup? The rang and bombs are hard get past, agt'd bombs make him quite difficult to edgeguard and no idea what to do against his short, quick tether. His dthrow combos into like any aerial/upb regardless of DI. Also when he gets back on stage he likes to air dodge zair. Worse than normal Link imo cause he's faster and smaller.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Can we please petition to delete Lucas.
lol I ranted about him earlier and this is what I came up with.

2 KO throws (off of a tether that has a hitbox during the entire animation)+ a free combo dthrow, 2 spikes, disjoint, best DACUS in game, very good WD and DD, multiple kill options, multiple recovery options, pseudo shine, good projectiles, djc, very good shield pressure options, and anything else.

I just don't think a character should have a tether grab that kills at 100, but that's just my opinion. Other than that I can deal with him.

Commander

Smash Ace
Can we please petition to delete Lucas.
Stay at the max length of Ragnell for the entire match up. If you keep hitting with the tips you will be safe. Only go in when Lucas wiffs or creates an opening for you. If he tries to go in just go back and keep tipping.

metroid1117

Smash Master
@ metroid1117 metroid1117 have you fought any good Tinks? How do you deal with the matchup? The rang and bombs are hard get past, agt'd bombs make him quite difficult to edgeguard and no idea what to do against his short, quick tether. His dthrow combos into like any aerial/upb regardless of DI. Also when he gets back on stage he likes to air dodge zair. Worse than normal Link imo cause he's faster and smaller.
To be honest, I haven't really fought any good Tinks before. I tend to treat him like a more mobile Link with slightly worse range, but the Tinks I've played weren't really high-caliber and it's been a while, so it's hard to remember if I do anything significantly different in neutral compared to fighting Link.

For edgeguarding, it's hard if they have a bomb because they can not only AGT for a boost, but they can also throw it at you. If they're recovering at stage level, then I recommend grabbing the edge for invincibility to get through the bomb. At this point, they'll forced to either up+B or tether; Tink's up+B is more dangerous than Link's in the sense that you can get stage-spiked or sent in an edgeguard position if you mess up, but I would recommend grabbing the edge and using the invincibility frames to protect yourself as you go for an edgehop BAir. If you read an airdodge -> tether, then you can try baiting out the airdodge and then BAir'ing them immediately after their invincibility when they try to tether. In the case that you edgeguard Tink from on-stage and they try to tether, you can usually walk-off DAir or FAir after you see the airdodge and hit them as they initiate the tether. Tink's up+B may also be easier to edgeguard from on-stage since it provides relatively little coverage above his head; you can probably go for either a DAir spike or weak DAir -> BAir. Again though, I haven't played any Tinks lately, so that's building off of Link experience and past memory.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Not really much of an option to stay back because pkf will zone you out.
I just try to use my double jump to bait him then fair with tip. Gotta go deep for the edgeguards too.

Y-L

Smash Champion
To be honest, I haven't really fought any good Tinks before. I tend to treat him like a more mobile Link with slightly worse range, but the Tinks I've played weren't really high-caliber and it's been a while, so it's hard to remember if I do anything significantly different in neutral compared to fighting Link.

For edgeguarding, it's hard if they have a bomb because they can not only AGT for a boost, but they can also throw it at you. If they're recovering at stage level, then I recommend grabbing the edge for invincibility to get through the bomb. At this point, they'll forced to either up+B or tether; Tink's up+B is more dangerous than Link's in the sense that you can get stage-spiked or sent in an edgeguard position if you mess up, but I would recommend grabbing the edge and using the invincibility frames to protect yourself as you go for an edgehop BAir. If you read an airdodge -> tether, then you can try baiting out the airdodge and then BAir'ing them immediately after their invincibility when they try to tether. In the case that you edgeguard Tink from on-stage and they try to tether, you can usually walk-off DAir or FAir after you see the airdodge and hit them as they initiate the tether. Tink's up+B may also be easier to edgeguard from on-stage since it provides relatively little coverage above his head; you can probably go for either a DAir spike or weak DAir -> BAir. Again though, I haven't played any Tinks lately, so that's building off of Link experience and past memory.
Thanks, I'll try that. I'll see if I can upload a video of our matches sometime this week too.

Commander

Smash Ace
Not really much of an option to stay back because pkf will zone you out.
I just try to use my double jump to bait him then fair with tip. Gotta go deep for the edgeguards too.
Pk freeze has a long start up and long cool down. You can just get out of the way, power shield, counter, or Nair to deal with it. You shouldn't double jump on stage because you can easily get stuck being juggled up there. Never use up movement options like that because you will get stuck in a bad situation because of it.

NWRL

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if counter would be appropriate because Lucas can just space it out

Y-L

Smash Champion
In addition he can throw out another pkf as he lands from the first one which will negate your counter.

Commander

Smash Ace
You use counter when far away or extremely close, never at midrange. Just like Math vs Falco.

Top Bottom