• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Literally the day before Ike's confirmation, I pointed to Ike on the character select screen and said: "I feel like he's one of the most endangered characters". Next day, BAM. Here he is. Its good to see, because Ike is pretty awesome, and it further cements the chances of other doubted vets like Wolf (indirectly). I never liked Roy much anyway, so bring on Chrom now and we're all set.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I thought he was more likely than not and that people were playing up Roy being cut from Brawl too much. However I was expecting him to be a secret character so was a little surprised when he was announced.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Look who's here it's Priam, if anyone got to say something about him they've gotta say it to his face!

I haven't gotten to the point in the game where I can meet Priam yet, but he looks kind of like a weirdo. Is that a codpiece? And the cape looks like dreadlocks. What a mess. I really didn't like the character design in Awakening. I hope that artist goes on to work for someone else besides Intelligent Systems...

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I haven't gotten to the point in the game where I can meet Priam yet, but he looks kind of like a weirdo. Is that a codpiece? And the cape looks like dreadlocks. What a mess. I really didn't like the character design in Awakening. I hope that artist goes on to work for someone else besides Intelligent Systems...
I think the designs were fine. I like the artist's style. The only thing I hated was the Final Fantasy mage hats and the toilet bowl knights. What were they thinking? I guess Priam looks stupid too... Ike looks like a refined warrior; Priam just looks like a posing fool.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I'm too much of an Ike fanboy to care what kind of reference they canonically throw in. I love Priam.

Edit: Though since he can't be referred to as "Ike," I suppose he can't be an alt.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Are you a boy or a girl? Seriously, he looks really bishonen.
I'm a MAN and he definitely don't look Bishonen, he looks like a normal man, and guys don't hate on the artist, the material he had to work with is kinda weak.

He even got a beard.

The artist once stated that the character he most wanted to draw from Fire Emblem was Ike from RD....

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Priam bothers me because he has no-Aether and Armsthrift (he can downgrade to a mercenary, but you know...)

In other things he's fine. Facial hair, cape, bandana, unique hero palette and two weapon breakers from classes he can't change.
He even got a beard.
And a manly deep voice.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Priam bothers me because he has no-Aether and Armsthrift (he can downgrade to a mercenary, but you know...)

In other things he's fine. Facial hair, cape, bandana, unique hero palette and two weapon breakers from classes he can't change.

And a manly deep voice.
The voice of Garen btw, from League of Legends xD.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'm a MAN and he definitely don't look Bishonen, he looks like a normal man, and guys don't hate on the artist, the material he had to work with is kinda weak.

He even got a beard.

The artist once stated that the character he most wanted to draw from Fire Emblem was Ike from RD....
Haha, sorry about that, I didn't mean to offend you incase I did. I was talking about the character, not you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Also, point taken. The first picture you posted about Priam look a little bishonen, but this artwork is much better. Also, I've never played a FE game in my life so I'm mostly ignorant to most of the FE related posts here. I'm just here to talk about Ike in SSB4.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
As some who aprecciates humor, your post made me laugh.

On the note of Ike being gay, I'm okay with it. If Ike is gay, then hooray, we have a masculine homosexual protagonist. That is very rare in video games.
If Ike is straight, that's okay too because we still have a strong protagonist.
There's still hope for the human race. You sir, are evolution envisioned.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I never really thought about Ike's sexuality being defined as part of his character for it to matter either way. Being Gay or Straight doesn't really seem to impact a character unless it plays some role of shaping the character view or perspective which in Ike's case does seem to matter as he doesn't seem to display much of affection or romantic tenancies towards men or women.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I never really thought about Ike's sexuality being defined as part of his character for it to matter either way. Being Gay or Straight doesn't really seem to impact a character unless it plays some role of shaping the character view or perspective which in Ike's case does seem to matter as he doesn't seem to display much of affection or romantic tenancies towards men or women.
The "Ike is gay" thing is really just a joke based on how hard he snubbed Elincia's affections. Ike was either not interested or didn't want to be involved romantically with a queen (or a combination of both).

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I really like Ike, but I was worried he was going to be replaced for a while.

Glad to see him back!

Commander

Smash Ace
The "Ike is gay" thing is really just a joke based on how hard he snubbed Elincia's affections. Ike was either not interested or didn't want to be involved romantically with a queen (or a combination of both).
This discussion already ended. Ike lives by one creed: **** ******* GET MONEY

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well yeah but that also plays into the idea that simply because someone doesn't show interest in women that automatically makes someone gay or vise-versa which isn't really how it works. In the case of Ike it seems more of the RPG archtype where you have a male who is completely oblivious to feelings of that nature to everyone, making him appear more asexual then anything. I think much of it spawns of lines that are said to him by other male characters like Soren that cause people to do, well what people do when pairing or sexuality isn't make particularly clear by the narrative itself. People kind of just fill in the gaps with their imagination.

I think what is forgotten or ignored is that just because sexuality exists doesn't mean all characters have to be defined by it if the story is not reinforcing that part of who they are. In Ike's case I don't think him being straight or gay or even asexual would change his character in a significate way.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Well yeah but that also plays into the idea that simply because someone doesn't show interest in women that automatically makes someone gay or vise-versa which isn't really how it works. In the case of Ike it seems more of the RPG archtype where you have a male who is completely oblivious to feelings of that nature to everyone, making him appear more asexual then anything. I think much of it spawns of lines that are said to him by other male characters like Soren that cause people to do, well what people do when pairing or sexuality isn't make particularly clear by the narrative itself. People kind of just fill in the gaps with their imagination.

I think what is forgotten or ignored is that just because sexuality exists doesn't mean all characters have to be defined by it if the story is not reinforcing that part of who they are. In Ike's case I don't think him being straight or gay or even asexual would change his character in a significate way.
This guy...this guy gets it. Plus, I think it's fun to leave some ambigutiy with a character, beacuse it allows players to speculate.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
How joke evolve into a following is beyond me...
Well, the fans will always do what they want with it (there would be that following even if he was shown as a womanizer, I guarantee you).

Well, yes, but what I mean to say is that few people were serious in thinking he was gay; they were just being silly (at least, that's the notion I get). Because there's no support for his sexuality either way, really.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well, the fans will always do what they want with it (there would be that following even if he was shown as a womanizer, I guarantee you).

Well, yes, but what I mean to say is that few people were serious in thinking he was gay; they were just being silly (at least, that's the notion I get). Because there's no support for his sexuality either way, really.
Heh, I entirely understand that you weren't making that assumption, I just thought it made a decent jumping off point to what I ended up saying. Sometimes I do that.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Since big Ike is here this time, do you think we will have an RD stage for the Wii U version? So far, we only have Arena Ferox for the 3DS, you would think there would be some sort of FE rep for stages for the console version. I feel like it might be more specific this time rather than just a generic Castle Siege styled stage, for various reasons.

The Tower of Guidance would be a good one, and... I can't think of anything else on the top of my head because I haven't played RD in years.

D

Deleted member 212841

With the growing popularity of the series and the fact Sakurai is playing heavily on the console vs handheld as far as stage design goes, I think that having a stage explicitly based on something from PoR / RD is a very reasonable assumption.

Tower of Guidance is definitely a pretty safe bet since it had multiple chapters dedicated to it and was used to stage multiple climatic duals. It's pretty easy to imagine Ike beating down Fox instead of the Black Knight or a free-for-all instead of two small armies fighting each other in a place like that.

I kinda feel like anything else is more or less wishful thinking. Nothing else seems quite as iconic or resembles a dual type setting. I suppose you could take the castle (T something...) that Ike fights BK in from PoR but you get the exact same thing with the tower of guidance + the possibility of stage hazards coming from Goddess magic or whatever. I can't really recall any place that received as much emphasis on the location itself as the Tower of Guidance.

Edit: Nvm about that last bit, I'm just not very creative :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
How about some streets and stuff? We spent a lot of time fighting in urbanized locales early in Radiant Dawn, like the streets of Daein. Smash Bros has a few stages now that float over rather modern civilization, but nothing that is really in fighting on the streets.

While it is not special in the way of Fire Emblem, it would be special in the way of Smash Bros. Would really like to see some victorian-eqsue aesthetics.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Darn, beat me to it.

Anyhow, since the Wii U version will consist mostly, if not solely, of stages from console games, I can really see a Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn stage happening. I, too, think the Tower of Guidance would be the best and most memorable choice. We could have either the Black Knight or Ashera as a stage hazard. Or, we could have Castle Crimea as a stage, with Mad King Ashnard as a stage hazard. There is a lot to choose from.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Trying to guess stages is much more of a gamble than characters, since so many liberties can be taken with stages.

If it's to come from RD specifically, and not PoR, the two areas I think of immediately are the Tower at the end of the game, and the gorge from the chapter where Micaiah's army has to roll boulders onto Sanaki's forces.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
While I am phenomenally depressed about the fact that Sakurai seems to be shoehorning bosses/hazards into perfectly competitive stages (Seriously, I was so looking forward to the Mega Man stage before the stupid Yellow Devil reveal) I must say this is a great opportunity to shoehorn Ashera or GOLDOA.WILL.NOT.MOVE as a stage boss.

Hong

The Strongest
While I am phenomenally depressed about the fact that Sakurai seems to be shoehorning bosses/hazards into perfectly competitive stages (Seriously, I was so looking forward to the Mega Man stage before the stupid Yellow Devil reveal) I must say this is a great opportunity to shoehorn Ashera or GOLDOA.WILL.NOT.MOVE as a stage boss.
inb4 Ashera's Judgment periodically turns all grounded fighters to stone.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Why would he use an axe? WHY

Should bowser use a knife?

That being said though, an axe user rep from FE would be cool, but certainly not Ike

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
....His father's axe that he never uses. Yeah man. Yeah.
If you didn't bash the Black Knight's face in with Urvan you have no sense of poetic justice.

It's also the single best weapon in the game. Point aside it's not really as ridiculous as Bowser using a knife and you have to be really out of touch with FE if you take such a derisive tone and dismiss it as even a possibility. Some of us actually think that the weapon with the highest MT and accuracy in the entire series might belong on the fastest and strongest unit in the game it appears in.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If you didn't bash the Black Knight's face in with Urvan you have no sense of poetic justice.

It's also the single best weapon in the game. Point aside it's not really as ridiculous as Bowser using a knife and you have to be really out of touch with FE if you take such a derisive tone and dismiss it as even a possibility. Some of us actually think that the weapon with the highest MT and accuracy in the entire series might belong on the fastest and strongest unit in the game it appears in.
>Not giving Urvan to Haar

Ragnell is Ike's personal sword, it doesn't make sense to NOT use this and give Urvan to a unit who has better use for it. Ike is unbeatable no matter what weapon he has in that game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom