• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike: Special Moves discussion.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
As of course, the title dictates, this thread will be for the discussion and possible application of our favorite Ranger's moves.

This is Ike. Yarrr, he's one manly dude.

Check out that Ragnell! It plays an important role in his special moves, obviously!

Recovery Special(AKA, the Up+B) - AETHER

Ike tosses his sword up(and to the side, but barely!) into the air, then leaps after it and grabs it in midair. He spins once, then swings down to the ground.

Damage: 3%-23% (Ike can hit with the initial toss AND the brief spin Ragnell does in the air, DI-properties unknown, percent is based on the Sonic/Ike Norfair vid, 22% can be seen at the beginning of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFuprCopHQY.)
Special Properties: Super Armor during the initial sword toss frames, actual frame times unknown. Very slight forward movement.

It seemed like Sonic wasn't jostled during any of the Aether hits, and barely moved until after the fourth hit connected.

Aether comes out lightning fast and Ike doesn't flinch, so it seems like only a grab could really interrupt it. Seems like an okay way to get some damage on the opponent if properly used.

Standard Special(AKA, the Neutral B) - ERUPTION

Ike holds Ragnell as if he just pulled out the Master Sword, flames popping up along the length of the blade. He then jams it into the ground, causing flames to burst forth around his form.

Damage: 10%-37%
Special Properties: Flashy fire effect. Super Armor frames, if any, are unknown. If fully charged, is an OHKO and deals damage to Ike.

This move is quite strong, from what can be seen of it (Pikachu gets knocked up out of screen at 11% from it, but is not KO'd) and can also be charged in the air! If released in midair, an oval explosion of fire is created. It is unknown what happens if used before the ground.

Seems like a good edgeguard to me. (Though circumstantial)

Side Special(AKA, the Side+B) - QUICK DRAW

Hard to see, huh? If someone can get a hold of a better picture, toss it my way.

Ike puts his weight onto his right foot and leans forward, holding Ragnell at an angle near his shoulder. He begins to flicker and glow, then dashes forward and cuts whatever he makes contact with!

Damage: 9%-16% (Low percent is taken after Ike's Aether in the Sonic/Ike video, in which he hits a prone Sonic with it.)
Special Properties: Super Armor frames are unknown, if any.

The distance which this covers has not been fully seen, and it's killing power is also up in the air at the moment. It can be used as a type of Horizontal Recovery, ala the Luigi Rocket. The longer it's charged, the more horizontal distance it can cover.

Ike can cover distance somewhat safely with this, and also 'halts' motion(not sure what causes it, I've just seen him stop from going the full distance before) on occasion.

It's much better than originally expected for recovery, and it's pretty quick to boot - the strength of it is quite nice, and it's a viable killing move(albeit at high percents, could use any information on just how low some characters should be).

This attack is used in the 'Grand Viper' combo, in which it is purposely whiffed to cover distance, which generates no ending lag and allows Ike to follow up with a Utilt(Or whatever you wish!)

Down Special(AKA, the Down+B) - COUNTER

Ike takes a similar stance to Marth and Roy, with the addition of a bright sparkle just up near his head. If hit by anything during the stance until it ends, he counters!

Damage: x1.5 the % of the attack Countered.
Special Properties: Super Armor frames are unknown, if any. Has reflective capabilities similar to Mewtwo's Confusion, as seen in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAWsGQQYThg when he deflects Samus' Charge Beam.

It apparently has the counter time of Marth, but as to wether the power is enhanced by the power of the opponent's attack is still up in the air.

FINAL SMASH: GREAT AETHER

Ike does a quick, rapid, underhanded swing with Ragnell. Whoever is hit is launched into the air, and Ike persues! He follows up with a series of sword strikes and a few punches and kicks, raises his sword high, then... SLAMS the enemy(s) down into the ground!

Damage: 67-72%

KO's around 40% for lighter characters. Rapid, good range. Probably the most commonly seen FS in all of YouTubedom.

As one can see, Ike has a plethora of moves which suit his strong style of play.

Thanks to Miller for clarified special attack percentages!

Hong

The Strongest
Huh? The invincibility frames are at the start of Aether, until he catches Ragnell and not after landing.

As you can see, Ike isn't holding Ragnell. This screenshot is of him just about to jump.

The flinch immunity is not just there as a nice method of balancing Ike, but also so that they won't have to code the circumstance when Ike is interrupted and doesn't catch his sword.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
Huh? The invincibility frames are at the start of Aether, until he catches Ragnell and not after landing.

As you can see, Ike isn't holding Ragnell. This screenshot is of him just about to jump.

The flinch immunity is not just there as a nice method of balancing Ike, but also so that they won't have to code the circumstance when Ike is interrupted and doesn't catch his sword.
Ah, my brain phased out there.

Fixed that.

Thanks for the error catch.

As for the second part, I caught that from ye olde Ike thread a while back.

So wait, if he uses his neutral B in the air does it explode a circle of fire? Or is that still unknown?
Circle of fire.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
The Final Smash is supposedly called Shinkuu Aether.
This is...not quite correct. It was a placeholder name picked by a member of the media while testing Ike out. If I recall the post from GameFAQs correctly, he explained he took it from how Ryu (Street Fighter series) has a super move called the Shinkuu Hadouken ("Vacuum Hadouken", more or less, from Japanese).

That is, he went from Hadouken (regular Special) to Shinkuu Hadouken (Super move)...and in turn applied this principle to Aether (Special) and "Shinkuu Aether" (Final Smash version).

I'm 90% confident that's not its real name, accordingly. What said actual name is, I don't know. I recommend referring to it as "Ike's FS" for now, though. Or if you want something sufficiently 'warui anime desu ne', perhaps "Ike's Ragnell Ranbu no Tachi" ("Ike's wild dance using the Ragnell") would be appropriately ******** and unwieldy.

And yes, I'm being silly right now.

GenG

Smash Lord
Lunadis, you're wrong. Ike has Ragnell in his right hand in that pic. He just finished the attack. The no flinch frames are there through the whole attack.

Flatfeet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flatfeet
The Dojo states "he is resistant to attacks for a moment right after throwing his sword." Sounds like it's the beginning of the attack.

GenG

Smash Lord
My problem is this:

I can see the sword there. How he has it if he is inmune just a moment after throwing it? No, he doesn't crouch before throwing the sword; he does crouch just before jumping to catch it and after the attack to stand up.

So there's a contradiction here. Let's clear it up, ok?

GenG

Smash Lord
I assume it's part of the background but I haven't found what is that. It's clearly pointy and is in an angle that tricked me into believing he was holding the sword. Ragnell has the same exact color in other pictures.

Should we make a normal attacks thread?

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
I assume it's part of the background but I haven't found what is that. It's clearly pointy and is in an angle that tricked me into believing he was holding the sword. Ragnell has the same exact color in other pictures.

Should we make a normal attacks thread?
I think it's just a spike of light from the kick.

As for the normal attacks - if anyone at E for All is willing to scrounge together Ike attack data, I'm all for that!

GenG

Smash Lord
I have info for all A moves save for dtilt and dsmash. I can open a thread with explanation and pictures.

GenG

Smash Lord
Yes, his bair is very quick. Is like Marth first strike of his nair (in looks) but backwards. It also makes Ike turn around in midair like Marth.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Actually yes, Aether can be interrupted. I just saw it here. My bad.
And if anyone wants to see him using Eruption in the air and creating an oval explosion around himself, click the link that GenG provided. It's at 1:33.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I'm kind of disappointed at Ike's Up-B. From the start Sakurai showed his move off as this great recovery move with great height and no-flinch properties. However, it seems to get absolutely no horizontal distance, how good can his recovery be? Anyone know if his side-B helps recovery at all like Marth's?

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
I'm kind of disappointed at Ike's Up-B. From the start Sakurai showed his move off as this great recovery move with great height and no-flinch properties. However, it seems to get absolutely no horizontal distance, how good can his recovery be? Anyone know if his side-B helps recovery at all like Marth's?
I think it does

Zink

Smash Champion
Hmm... Ranger Dash could be a combo finisher, or even a tech punish, but I don't really see the others as being useful in battle, besides maybe edgegaurding with Eruption...

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I LOVE countering with Marth. Let's hope Ike's counter is as strong as Roy's. We already know that it is as fast as Marth's.

Hong

The Strongest
Hmm... Ranger Dash could be a combo finisher, or even a tech punish, but I don't really see the others as being useful in battle, besides maybe edgegaurding with Eruption...
If it has flinch immunity, it seems like a nice way of closing the distance with ranged attackers. Dealing with projectiles with Roy, even using shffl'd aerials to destroy them, was quite pitiful.

Zink

Smash Champion
If it has flinch immunity, it seems like a nice way of closing the distance with ranged attackers. Dealing with projectiles with Roy, even using shffl'd aerials to destroy them, was quite pitiful.
True.
Counter, meh. Depends on whether it's a Roy-type counter or Marth-type.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Unconfirmed, but someone here said "Marth length, Roy power". If so then that's a great move for his arsenal.
I was more interested in the 'use during (read: while already hit) Pit's Side Special' rumor than the length and power of it, personally.

Top Bottom