• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike: Special Moves discussion.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
From what I heard it seems to have no-flinch frames in it, thus the use of it in the middle of an attack.
I have also heard that. If this is true, Ike is just that much stronger. Imagine someone slashing away at Ike and all of a sudden Ike using counter while they are still hitting him only to receive the damage back. XDD

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
I have also heard that. If this is true, Ike is just that much stronger. Imagine someone slashing away at Ike and all of a sudden Ike using counter while they are still hitting him only to receive the damage back. XDD
Oh dear.

That would be... crazy.

Well, I hope the rumors are true!

(100th post EXTRAVAGANZA)

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
But I've been told that Ike's Ranger Critical can be used for vertical recovery. And with the limits on aerial movement and combat reduced, I doubt his recovery will be a problem if you use both moves.

Zink

Smash Champion
Well, he's SO HEAVY, and he has SO MUCH super armor, recovery probably wouldn't be a problem until you got to the point where you're dead anyway, right?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That's what people said about Bowser for Melee. We'll see, it depends on how heavy he ends up.

IllidR

Smash Champion
But I've been told that Ike's Ranger Critical can be used for vertical recovery. And with the limits on aerial movement and combat reduced, I doubt his recovery will be a problem if you use both moves.
Can you use both moves in air? Or is his side-B more like fox's in which he can't do anything after?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
So does anyone else here think that Aether will be a good move to use out of the shield? If the Super armor starts from as soon as the move begins, I can see it being a good way to get out of those annoying fast combos.

GenG

Smash Lord
At least, we see Ike countering twice in this video. First at 2:03. Then again, but more epic, at 2:25.

Have you noticed that all matches in which Ike wins are awesome? He actually kills by himself with style instead camping with items as other characters do.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
At least, we see Ike countering twice in this video. First at 2:03. Then again, but more epic, at 2:25.

Have you noticed that all matches in which Ike wins are awesome? He actually kills by himself with style instead camping with items as other characters do.
Ahaha!

Sudden Death Counter.

Metaknight is not the best character to gather Counter data from, since his attacks are multi-hit and not too strong... oh, and the booth babe's head was in the way.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The only thing that can be assumed about Ike's Counter is that it does result in a strong knockback similar to Roy's. It doesn't seem to be a fixed amount of damage, but it's hard to tell with the people in the way... :ohwell:

LockeExe

Smash Cadet
The only thing that can be assumed about Ike's Counter is that it does result in a strong knockback similar to Roy's. It doesn't seem to be a fixed amount of damage, but it's hard to tell with the people in the way... :ohwell:
Maybe he has a sweet spot on his sword.
That'd be so sick.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I was really hoping for a ranged magic slash which is something Ragnell could do in Path of Radiance...so maybe if he blocks a projectile, he shoots a wave of energy...

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I was really hoping for a ranged magic slash which is something Ragnell could do in Path of Radiance...so maybe if he blocks a projectile, he shoots a wave of energy...
I was really pulling for that as well. We need more swordsman that have projectiles, right now its just Link.

But I suppose Ike would be REALLY screwed for recovery without that dash B>, so it probably wouldn't have been an effective choice.

I absolutely love the idea of a ranged Counter sending out a shockwave. Brillaint. Lets hope its true.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see a shockwave from countering projectiles, too.
It would give range to a close-combat character, even if it was just a little bit.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I think all, except Counter, of Ike's B moves are slow.

Hell, I think Ike in general IS slow. Maybe holding a two handed sword with one has something to do with it...

Either way, he is still strong as hell. Fully charged Eruption is a practical 0KO.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
I think all, except Counter, of Ike's B moves are slow.

Hell, I think Ike in general IS slow. Maybe holding a two handed sword with one has something to do with it...

Either way, he is still strong as hell. Fully charged Eruption is a practical 0KO.
Like Roy's charged B. Also, his slowness is obviously compensation. Like Caboose in RvB.

Zink

Smash Champion
just a heads up- the move we're calling the Ranger Critical... isn't. I'm playing PoR again, and the Ranger Critical actually looks exactly like the Brawl version of Aether, which actually lacks the final hit. His side B doesn't really look like anything in game, so Ranger Dash is probably the best name for it.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Its called the ranger critical, because when Ike gets his critical hit, thats what he does, dash through the guy and slashing him with critical strike.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
lol dude, I didn't make the name, I was only clarifying to whoever asked as to why it is called the ranger critical. I did not tell anyone this is the correct name in Brawl and to use that name only, or even in PoR, just what its known for........calm down.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
In a game video I found (I'll go find it now), somebody uses Ike. He does this sick edgehog from Aether. It might not be useful, but it looks awesome.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWo-ardDj8 It at ~1:03 on the left ledge.
I think this video rather perfectly shows the "strong but extremely slow Ike". You can see how slow his smash attacks are and the player is just kind of throwing them around in the FFA hoping to get hits in. You can see on multiple occasions that when his fsmash connects it is devastating and he easily gets kills on characters in the 60-70% range. Although I can see what Gimpyfish was talking about, the sheer time it takes to pull off the attacks seems to outweigh their strength.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
His side b is a good move, its just his aether moves sucks right now badly. In PoR, you can see clearly that it can move horizontal to slash ppl, o well it all depends on Nintendo.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
In the first post it says Ike's Aether can do up to 22%, but I've only seen it do 15%. Also it states it hits 4 times, but I only saw it hit 3, the initial toss, the spin in the air, and the slash downwards. Am I missing something?

GenG

Smash Lord
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-IBse-rFg

Ike also counters Sonic at 00:22 on the right - but again, the damage counter is obscured from view.
Actually, Ike does 11% to Sonic after countering his uair. Sonic never got hit and so we can see the damage before and after the counter.

Now search how damage Sonic's uair does and compare to the damage countered. Ike could have countered the same damage, 1.5 of it or just a fixed damage.

Top Bottom