• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I did not even realize you played Brawl at one time Metroid. I played the game for a couple months, but couldn't take the random tripping, and floatiness. Kudos to you though. That Sandbag work paid off.

Now I know what I must do to become an Ike god. Simply go back to Brawl and beat up on the sandbag! And fight for friends.

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, random question: What do you guys use for bair? I used to use all c-stick, but than I realized that you can't really do instant bairs as fast, and some characters that can be hit with bair OOS (Charizard, Mewtwo) the only way to do it fast enough is with side A. Is a combination of both the ideal way to use bair?

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Now is the time to advertise Z jump button configuration! With Z jump, you can keep your thumb on the C-stick while jumping for instant Bairs no problem! :D (And you can assign grab to X)

Last edited:

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
Now is the time to advertise Z jump button configuration! With Z jump, you can keep your thumb on the C-stick while jumping for instant Bairs no problem! :D (And you can assign grab to X)
I'd love to do that but I want to be able to play Melee as well and I can't do that with Z-jump :(

Commander

Smash Ace
New Ike control scheme:
C-stick:attack for cc jab, running jab, and cstick nair
L/R:attack for dacus
L/R:air dodge
Z:jump:instant aerials with c stick
Y/X:Footstool with your down taunt because redundant jump.
Y/X:Grab to take place of Z and give access to JC grabs
D-Pad:Smash attacks so you can instantly Fsmash on reaction
A:Set to specials just to make it convoluted
B:Set to down taunt for more opportunities for taunt spikes
Tap Jump: On because you aren't a wuss.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Or
Turn off tap jump and not feel awkward af when doing early aerials

NWRL

Smash Ace
People are complaining about QD in the tier list threas. We've done it boys, we've come full circle.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Score. I always wanted to play a broken character.

I should add a disclaimer that I wasn't playing PM when he was broken the first time. :awesome:

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
People are complaining about QD in the tier list threas. We've done it boys, we've come full circle.
I tend not to post anymore but if anyone wants to talk QD there I will be happy to discuss the move with them and how it's a lot more balanced on a character with a long jumpsquat, high start-up aerials, no shield pressure and only decent to above average (not stellar) mobility.

Stick that crap on Fox or Lucas and watch people cry then

Commander

Smash Ace
People complain about moves in PM only because they know the PMDT listens. They will stop soon enough as they get better. The PMDT does not often take major actions against any char,especially because some no name scrubs complain.

Commander

Smash Ace
That's because people don't realize how much commitment there actually is to it. Even if you cancel it as soon as possible you have spent so much time already committed to going forward.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm not saying that it's broken or needs to be changed (FWIW, I'm fine the way it is), I'm just saying that I sympathize with where people are coming from but they're not playing the match-up right if they're letting Ike QD freely.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Yeah, when I first picked up Ike. I could abuse QD shenanigans (specifically JC Grabs) all day against my brother's Roy. Now that he's familiar with the matchup, it's extremely hard to ever land QD against him. He'll either Dtilt or Nair me out of it. It does take a lot of commitment. And it's really frustrating when people tech roll behind you as you QD through them due to the commitment frames. I think most of the complaints about QD come from players who aren't familiar with the MU.

Anyways, I may have asked this before. But I am really having trouble getting DACUS down. I can hardly do it once in training mode when I set it to 1/4 speed. What I'll do is dash > C-stick down > Usmash. I get the Usmash, but Ike hardly slides forward.

Here's my question: I know every character has a dash speed and run speed. Can you only DACUS during the initial dash animations? Or can you run across the stage and DACUS? I feel like I get no movement when I do it that way. Please fill me in. Thanks fellow Ike mains!

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I like using Z for grab. I believe you can claw style grip it, and not use attack as Z.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Starting in 3.5, using a grab button for DACUS is exactly the same as using an attack button, so you don't need to worry about that. I do still claw the DACUS though since I use Z jump lol. (ty Metroid) Anyways, with these kinds of things the best thing to do is just practice. But my advice would be to just practice in normal time. Right when you press C-stick down you immediately smash the control stick up and press grab/attack. And DACUS is exactly the same out of dash and run.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Anyways, I may have asked this before. But I am really having trouble getting DACUS down. I can hardly do it once in training mode when I set it to 1/4 speed. What I'll do is dash > C-stick down > Usmash. I get the Usmash, but Ike hardly slides forward.

Here's my question: I know every character has a dash speed and run speed. Can you only DACUS during the initial dash animations? Or can you run across the stage and DACUS? I feel like I get no movement when I do it that way. Please fill me in. Thanks fellow Ike mains!
The timing becomes much harder if you try it at x1/4th speed for some reason (the game adds frames to smooth out animations at slower speeds, so this might be why), so I'd advice only practicing it at x1 speed. DACUS works by canceling initial frames of dash attack with USmash (hence the name), so it's dependent on when you dash attack and not necessarily whether you're running or dashing. Like Whino said, you have to input an USmash (up+Attack) right after a dash attack; some people claw such that they input the dash attack with the C-stick and then use their index finger for A to USmash, others use up+Z, but if you have a shoulder button set to attack, you can use that (up+L/R) to USmash instead. There's a 2-frame (maybe 3 as of 3.5, I'm honestly not 100% certain) window to input the USmash after the dash attack, so it's just a matter of getting the timing down.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Thank you Metroid. It's good to know that I no longer need to claw. I can just use Z if I prefer that method. I will practice in 1x speed and get back to all of you. I appreciate all the support. It's the last technique I need to consistently practice. Everything else comes natural now.

MLGF

Smash Lord
TBH, I never felt the need to DACUS ever.
And then I decided to learn how to do it. I asked the two guys in my state how to do it and after a while I got it.

But then I practiced it until my thumb burned, like I was in pain for a week because of how I practice tech skill and due to the way I performed the DACUS.

...And now I never use it.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Not sure how you'd get pain in any finger from that using Z

Using the Claw A method would just lead to wrist cramps

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
When I initially was DACUSING, I moved the control stick up very sporadically trying to find the timing. After I understood the timing, I developed a healthier rhythm. But when starting out, the way I moved the control stick hurt my left thumb immensely.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Quick tip for my fellow Ike mains. One simple combo I've been using a lot recently is:

Dthrow > QD Attack > Utilt > Bair. It racks up a lot of percent and seems to combo mid-weights like Roy around 40-60%. Floaty characters can be combo'd even earlier.

I believe they might be able to DI out of it. But you can punish them depending on how they DI. Some punishes include DACUS, or multiple Fairs/Bairs if they DI too high or away.

Surprisingly, I don't see Ike's D-throw used very often at a high level, or I haven't been paying attention to it. Can someone explain why?

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
I don't like D-throw because it's really easy to DI if the opponent knows what they're doing. It's not even a mix up because you can just react to it and DI accordingly.

U-throw is pretty much exclusively better because you can true combo aerials on a lot of the cast at low percents, get safe juggles at mid percents with Ike's disjoint, and positional advantage at high percent. The positional advantage is particularly useful for Ike because his juggle game is really good.

D-throw really isn't a bad throw, it's just U-throw makes it obsolete. D-throw is pretty much only good on really floaty characters who can't DI down enough, or at very high percents, because you can get tech chases.

Also, if you Utilt someone and are able to Bair them, I would recommend Nairing or Uairing them instead to try to continue the string.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Down throw is exclusively against people who do not know the mu. It's honestly his worst throw once people do properly.
I avoid it entirely to avoid bad habits when playing against people who know the match up.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it might be related to DI issues. It's still good against some floaties though, right?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Down throw is exclusively against people who do not know the mu. It's honestly his worst throw once people do properly.
I avoid it entirely to avoid bad habits when playing against people who know the match up.
DThrow isn't very profitable against fastfallers who know how to DI it, but you can get fairly reliable follow-ups (QD RAR BAir or DACUS) on floaties at mid-high %s even with good DI.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Is Counter out of JC'd QD a viable option? Maybe as a mixup?
Honestly, I haven't tried it. But I would not suggest it at all. It's an extremely high risk/low reward technique that most players could exploit pretty easily. Cool suggestion though. Might work as a gimmick once in a great while.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Is Counter out of JC'd QD a viable option? Maybe as a mixup?
I play vs an uber laser campy Falco and every now and then (1-2 times a set) I'll toss this out when he's at mid percent or higher (so he doesn't just CC or suffer minimal knockback and punish) and it yields surprising results. I usually smack him off stage. I only do it when I see just the right window though. I gotta have about 3 battlefield platforms between him and I and he has to just be jumping to laser.

The move itself is pretty janky. The hitbox is surprisingly narrow (damn close to Bair), hits high (Ike's shoulder), has quite a bit of start up, and has huge end lag. Ike also seems to like randomly turning around when countering lasers and swinging the wrong way at nothing while yelling "gotcha!" Makes him look really dumb.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
When he says "Gotcha" he actually is trying to say "Gotcha a free punish on me!" But nobody ever lets him finish.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Hey guys, I really need some help with the Lucario matchup. I've watched Metroid vs Double for reference, and it just seems like a tough matchup. I feel Lucario can combo Ike all day with jabs, fairs, and nairs. I also find it extremely difficult to punish Lucario, which is a big part of Ike's game.

All I can really do is fish for hits with Nairs and an occasional QD mixup. But his aura spheres can shut that down if you're too predictable. Any advice on this MU is appreciated since I find it extremely difficult. (Mainly because I can't punish this "Anubis Wannabe")

Last edited:

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
If you want to see how to punish Lucario, check out my matches with iPunchKidsz on his stream vods. I live really close to him so we play a lot, and all of the matches are streamed. My neutral game and tech skill aren't quite there yet, but my punish game is good enough to make him john about Ike.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
If you want to see how to punish Lucario, check out my matches with iPunchKidsz on his stream vods. I live really close to him so we play a lot, and all of the matches are streamed. My neutral game and tech skill aren't quite there yet, but my punish game is good enough to make him john about Ike.
Alright, would you mind posting a link as I always have a difficult time finding streams? And that would work perfectly since my neutral game and tech is great, but my punish game is severely lacking.

Top Bottom