• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Thanks Frakture, it seems like you use Ftilt a lot. Is that based on the MU, or just a tool you've grown accustomed to using often.

Watching these videos does help though. It seems Lucario can be combo'd pretty easily with Fthrow > QD Attack depending on how he DIs. If he DIs low, you can go attack or regrab depending on percent. Otherwise RAR Bair.

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
Throwing out Ftilt in neutral is a bad habit I have. I use it to try to hold space but it's particularly dangerous against Lucario because if he has an aura charge, he can just go right through it and hit you.

Fthrow and Bthrow can be comboed off of fairly well at mid perents, and Upthrow combos at low percents are pretty much free. You can nair or upair him if he DIs away, or Utilt if he's close enough.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Does Ike's dair spike/meteor/whatever through the entire sword, or only at his fists/hilt?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Does Ike's dair spike/meteor/whatever through the entire sword, or only at his fists/hilt?
Basically, it's a spike at the hilt of his sword/the hitbox in his body, a meteor along the blade, and a flop hit that sends them outward at the tip.

Metroid connects flop hit > bair all the time.

metroid1117

Smash Master
To elaborate, all of the initial hitboxes send the opponent downward for the first two frames (16-17), with the hilt of the blade being a spike and the rest being a meteor, and then all of the lingering hitboxes send the opponent at a Sakurai angle (45 degrees, IIRC) for the next 13 frames (18-30). The frame data and attributes can be referenced in Aerodrome's guide (which is still relevant for the most part except for endlag on QD attack).

Last edited:

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Omfg guys I just single handedly revolutionized Ike's footstool game, aka I actually found a viable footstool setup. UTHROW TO FORWARDS HIT OF BAIR, USE YOUR MOMENTUM TO FOLLOW THEM AND BAM FOOTSTOOL!!! I hit it on a Lucas earlier today to get the KO. It was glorious. Everyone please now up your footstool games.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I've never been a fan of footstool in Smash. Maybe because I feel like going for it allows you to get hit by an aerial and leaves you open. But I could be completely wrong. So let me know if you feel it's not easy to counterattack a footstool.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it's a pretty situational option, but if done correctly the opponent will be in hitstun the whole time, so they will not be able to attack you before you footstool them.

MLGF

Smash Lord

And now I'm money matching Swag at Shots.
OK then.

Last edited:

Raphy963

Smash Cadet
NNID
raphy963
Hey guys i'm new here :D

Yeah pretty much it...Trying to main Ike in Project M and pretty much become better XD

Also, i'm french canadian so sorry for my bad english :)

MLGF

Smash Lord
You're better then quite a few native English speakers actually :p
Anyways, welcome to the cool Ike kids club. We have nairs and quickdraws. Enjoy your stay.

Raphy963

Smash Cadet
NNID
raphy963
Oh, that's good to know :D I'm a grammar nazi when I speak French so maybe that might be related :p

Is there a public chat like an IRC or something? I really want to play against other players who know how to play Ike (aka I will be a living sandbag)

Player -0

Smash Hero
Oh, that's good to know :D I'm a grammar nazi when I speak French so maybe that might be related :p

Is there a public chat like an IRC or something? I really want to play against other players who know how to play Ike (aka I will be a living sandbag)
If you're talking about using Wi-Fi to play people I'd check out the friend code list thing under general discussion.

Raphy963

Smash Cadet
NNID
raphy963
If you're talking about using Wi-Fi to play people I'd check out the friend code list thing under general discussion.
I sold my Wii a while ago unfortunatly, I still regret it, I was mostly talking about Netplay :p But I found about about Smashladder so I was planning to give it a try tonight. But if I could find someone who know how to play Ike correctly to help me out, I would really appreciate it :p I'm really open about what I'm doing wrong and always looking to improve.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
If you wanna do some studying till you get things going, I'd check out the video thread. Pages 5+6 have some ike footage from 3.5 from some of the best Ike's. I'd check out the dj Nintendo videos for sure, he plays a really unique slow patient ike that rarely uses QuickDraw, and of course metroid is always a beast with his crazy QuickDraw chain grabs. All the vids are worth watching though, everyone on there is solid.

If you want a tutorial video for tech YouTube project m ike tutorial. There's a ~3min vid that quickly covers the advanced stuff and a like 30 min vid by windycitysmash that goes into more detail on gameplay!

Commander

Smash Ace
Since when has MD/VA been a strong region in any game?

What are the most immediate uses for DACUS? I know it can follow up some throws on floats with the right DI, but what other amazing stuff is there?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
When diddy was on the rise.

I have a playlist of tech. Will post later if i remember.

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
Anyone know how to do Ike's ledgehop dair that Metroid does all the time to hit low recoveries? When I do it, I end up having too much horizontal momentum and doing the dair too far in from the ledge.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Anyone know how to do Ike's ledgehop dair that Metroid does all the time to hit low recoveries? When I do it, I end up having too much horizontal momentum and doing the dair too far in from the ledge.
If I'm understanding your scenario and your issue, the easiest way is to input down (hold) -> Y -> A; this causes you to drop from the edge and then jump straight up with a DAir. If you hold "down" when letting go of the edge, jumping will interrupt your fastfall while allowing you to buffer the "down" input for DAir before you hit A.

Last edited:

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I use away to ledge drop, so that's why I can't do it. So you do hold down ->jump->A , and then hold the stick towards the stage so you land on stage?(if you're confused to what im referring to, you used it to spike sethlon for his last stock in the first game on green hill zone in toasted ravs 6). By the way, do you favor using down or away for ledgedashes/ledgehops in general?

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I'm not trying to bash any players, but it seems to be a general consensus that Swag Apocalypse isn't that great with Ike. Maybe a bit mediocre. I was watching one of his recent matches and noticed a couple things he could improve upon. I think it's important to understand what good players do to win, and what bad players do as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9hSmJjz14s

If anyone could outline what "not to do" with Ike based on this video, it would be very helpful. I've gotten pretty good with Ike over the past few months, I would say my movement/wavedashing, dash dancing, and QD use is better than Swag's. But I want to know what you guys think. (Also, I'm no longer a QD happy Ike, I'm a grab happy and Nair happy Ike, but I think that's probably a good thing!)

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
After watching that video:
Dairs on shield, and falling dairs in general. Oh god. Swag was lucky Squeak didn't really punish those, since not only do dairs have a small hitbox but they still have really high L-canceled lag. A nair out of shield by MK beats it easily (2:34). Also, Swag did two things out of shield: grab, and roll. If Squeak were spacing better none of those grabs would have landed, and of course rolls are predictable but I didn't see Squeak punish for Swag rolling so much. Ofc Ike doesn't have the best OOS options, but wavedash to reset to neutral is much better than roll to reset to neutral. And at (3:13), that was just BEGGING for a QD RAR backair. I don't think Swag knows how to do it, but still. I will say in general Swag outspaced Squeak. He used Ike's fair a lot like Ganon's, protecting his space and hitconfirming it. His spacing was definitely the best thing he did with Ike. Lastly, on a knockdown, charging QD is rarely the right thing to do. If they just roll in, you can't react to that with any option out of QD.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Well, you can charge QD when someone is knocked down. But you need to release quick if they roll towards you, then jump and go for Nair. Sometimes it can hit someone behind you due to Nair's range.

But I think it's best to use sparingly to catch people off guard, not a go to option. Dashdancing is so much better IMHO. I also noticed Swag would charge an upsmash when someone's way above him. It's like.... Is my opponent so stupid that they'll fall right into it?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yeah, I use away to ledge drop, so that's why I can't do it. So you do hold down ->jump->A , and then hold the stick towards the stage so you land on stage?(if you're confused to what im referring to, you used it to spike sethlon for his last stock in the first game on green hill zone in toasted ravs 6). By the way, do you favor using down or away for ledgedashes/ledgehops in general?
In that situation, yes I think that's what I did. In general, I prefer down or away depending on where I want to go; I use "down" for ledgedashes and ledgehopping onto the stage, but I also use "away" sometimes if I'm edgeguarding people off-stage.

AdmiralSnackbar

Smash Rookie
So I've been playingm a lot of Ike recently. He's a lot faster/smoother than I thought he would be, why is he rated lower than Roy/Marth?

Commander

Smash Ace
You shouldn't give community tier lists any respect. They are created mostly by people who are not very good at the game.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Hello Ike friends,

I'm looking for advice to take my Ike game to the next level. The only "technique" I cannot consistently perform in a match is DACUS. Everything else comes pretty easy, like QD RAR Bairs, Pivot Grabs, JC Grabs, L-cancelling, wavedashing to control space, feints, etc.

The things I struggle most with is what to do when Ike is hanging from the ledge and being ledge-guarded. And what Ike's options are in Neutral. Other than QD and Nair, since I abuse the hell out of those moves. Moreso Nair than anything else.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
And what Ike's options are in neutral
^ this!

I think the general consensus is Ike struggles in the neutral. Personally, I really don't know what to do in neutral to feel effective. Like a general game plan for the neutral. Dash dance, space aerials, platform movement, wavedash, getting centre stage and occasional QuickDraw mix ups. Combining all those things should feel beast but for me personally it feels pretty lackluster.

I've heard people say Ike's neutral is about pressuring by presence, being near them at the right spacing and making them uncomfortable and then they commit to something and we punish. Sounds great, but in practice I've never found this has the effect it's supposed. People will just engage or run away or projectile or whatever. I've never felt like this being near them thing instills a ton of fear into my opponent unless I've just comboed them and they're panicking, but that's true for all characters.

arcnormal

Smash Cadet
When Ike is hanging from the ledge:
Invincible ledgehop nairs/fairs, and invincible ledgedashes. And obviously the standard rolls and getups below 100%. Also QD from ledge as a mixup once in a while. Probably my favorite thing to do against slower chars is (refresh invincibility)-> ledgedash->pivot grab or regular jab->grab. Honestly, I think Ike's ledgedash is his best option. Get it down perfectly and it's pretty hard to punish.

Ike's neutral is just like Ganon's. It's hard to explain, but I recommend watching some Melee Ganon's to help you learn more about it. Their neutrals are remarkably similar actually, namely, the lack of quick aerials except for Ganon's uair and Ike's bair, the lack of quick ground options except for jab and grab, but of course Ike has burst movement which Ganon doesn't.

Top Bottom