• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving the ike representation at low tier city 2! You had some pretty hype matches, sparkingzero, but you didn't make it out of your pool, right? :( It's a shame you couldn't win that match against K9, but that moment at 2:12 omg so hype.
No man I did not. I lost to a fox game 3. I gotta learn to not get nervous and just close it out, lol. No johns tho the guy was good. But I was definitely sad :(

Y-L

Smash Champion
So a friend of mine showed me something interesting today. When wall jumping twice, for the second wall jump if you do a b reversed quick draw (quick draw away from the wall then quickly smash towards the wall) it's much faster.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
It's definitely faster, but the downside is that if you mess up the B-reverse you end up QD'ing away from the wall and dying :(.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Damnit, lol. Still, Samus boards>Ike boards. :troll:

Maybe in a year or so you guys will discover that Ike's neutral B can one hi---

NVM

Stevo

Smash Champion
Guys is this the new Ike meta?

This is really hard to watch
This was even better in person. He had a better match earlier in the tournament that sadly wasn't recorded.

I'm moving to a location with a good smash community in a month and I'm considering starting to play PM for real. I think I want to use Ike, because I fight for my friends.

Real talk, how good is Ike? on a scale of 1 to Mew2.

metroid1117

Smash Master
IMO he's safely in the top 20 (out of 41), maybe even top 15 if I were to be generous. At this point I don't think he has any absolutely horrendous match-ups (like Pichu-Sheik in Melee), but Aether isn't nearly as safe as people think once they understand how to punish Ike at his apex and jump-canceled QD as a "gimmick" isn't a big asset if they keep applying pressure. I can see him being difficult for beginners to handle, but at competitive play, he's more "fair" compared to other characters widely regarded to be in the top 10 (Mewtwo, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Diddy, Pit, etc.).

Last edited:

Stevo

Smash Champion
Ike seems really bad out of shield, so I feel like you really have to keep the momentum in your favor.
Metroid, I watched a bunch of your videos, and I noticed you don't really do retreating fair much. Do you find it to be too laggy? Or is it just not really worth it to play defensively?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ike seems really bad out of shield, so I feel like you really have to keep the momentum in your favor.
Metroid, I watched a bunch of your videos, and I noticed you don't really do retreating fair much. Do you find it to be too laggy? Or is it just not really worth it to play defensively?
Kinda like you pointed out in your first line, I prefer to apply pressure so that I feel more in control of the match. I prefer retreating NAir over FAir because NAir tends to set up for more combos than FAir, albeit it has shorter range than FAir, but I feel like I use shffl'd FAir as a spacing/poking tool for approaching moreso than NAir depending on the match-up.

Last edited:

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
I see a nooby Ike every time I look in the mirror. :awesome:

Ike has some decent representation, but obviously not as much as the "high tier" characters. If we had more Ikes like metroid showing off their stuff at big events and on popular streams, we'd see a lot more Ike. He's just too fun to not want to pick up if you see his potential. I think that's the reason so many more Ikes than normal are popping up in the Chicago area; because metroid was around a lot this summer. Heck, even Oro and Rat are playing Ike now.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I see lots of nooby Ike's but not really any high level ones.
SoCal recently got flooded with players. At the last tourney there was like 20 Ikes an only 2 of them were any good. I used to be the only one. I really hope tourney attendance goes back down to sane levels. SoCal locals are currently at regional and national numbers.

metroid1117

Smash Master
IMO it's because Ike has a relatively high skill floor in casual play and thematically, he can be thought of as Falcon with a sword. However, at competitive play, shffl'd FAirs and QD attack don't help much when you're constantly getting pressured by players who know how to space around attacks and punish accordingly, so he has a lower skill floor in a competitive environment and requires more time and effort in order to succeed. It's also worth noting that Ike doesn't have many notable/top veteran players who picked him up in 2.6 and/or stuck with him after 2.1 silliness and 2.5 nerfs; aside from Vwins (of whom there's little footage), Ally, Blink, and DJ Nintendo, Ike hasn't gotten much representation from these types of players.

I think that's the reason so many more Ikes than normal are popping up in the Chicago area; because metroid was around a lot this summer. Heck, even Oro and Rat are playing Ike now.
Rat and Oro would use Ike in non-recorded friendlies back in 2.6, so it's more that they felt proficient enough to use him in tourney than me influencing their decision IMO.

SoCal recently got flooded with players. At the last tourney there was like 20 Ikes an only 2 of them were any good. I used to be the only one. I really hope tourney attendance goes back down to sane levels. SoCal locals are currently at regional and national numbers.
That's a good problem to have, but a problem nevertheless lol. Hopefully they bring a bunch of setups so that it can turn into a giant Smashfest once people start getting eliminated.

Last edited:

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Damnit, I use shffl'd fairs all the time to space. Clearly I'm a noob, lol. What other tools can I use to help me space with Ike?

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Damnit, I use shffl'd fairs all the time to space. Clearly I'm a noob, lol. What other tools can I use to help me space with Ike?
Shffl'd FAirs aren't inherently bad, I was just referring to lower/newer players who exclusively use it. Whenever I'm desperately fishing for a kill or the tourney nerves get to me, I shffl' FAirs all day >.>. I like using shffl'd NAir if the opponent is too close for a tipped FAir though.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
That's a good problem to have, but a problem nevertheless lol. Hopefully they bring a bunch of setups so that it can turn into a giant Smashfest once people start getting eliminated.
There are too many people to have a lot friendlies and the venues are limited on space and get hot very quickly. Also the TOs are always stressed as a result and every tourney has been straight bracket instead of having real pools. Hopefully there will be much less people as school starts and as smash 4 releases. Also I dislike having competition for the best Ike in socal spot but there is only one person I've seen who does well with Ike right now so I'm ok for now.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
You guys should be grateful for self-proclaimed scrub lords like me and Shazam. If we didn't drag Ike down, then people would realize how sleeper OP he is and start chasing him with the ban hammer. ;)

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
There are too many people to have a lot friendlies and the venues are limited on space and get hot very quickly. Also the TOs are always stressed as a result and every tourney has been straight bracket instead of having real pools. Hopefully there will be much less people as school starts and as smash 4 releases. Also I dislike having competition for the best Ike in socal spot but there is only one person I've seen who does well with Ike right now so I'm ok for now.
I'm pretty sure the only thing Smash 4 will do is increase tourney attendance, :p

Commander

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the only thing Smash 4 will do is increase tourney attendance, :p
I'm hoping it will encourage some people to jump ship from P:M to smash 4. I have no intention of ever playing smash 4 competitively or even buying it so it would benefit me greatly if some people move over to it instead.

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
How do you guys feel about Ike being represented at tournaments? I don't think there is that much, tbh.
I am at this very moment the only Ike main in Central-South New Jersey, also the region I am in is very heavily entrenched in Melee and often have Melee only events. So I have to travel pretty far to go to a PM tournament so I cant really represent there and I don't have a good enough computer to do netplay so I just contact some of my Melee friends to try and play in person most of the time. Otherwise, I usually just play against my two siblings.

You guys should be grateful for self-proclaimed scrub lords like me and Shazam. If we didn't drag Ike down, then people would realize how sleeper OP he is and start chasing him with the ban hammer. ;)
Hey I do my part too so everyone on the east coast thinks Ike is irrelevant and mid-bottom tier and then you guys go to nationals and beat the pants off them so they don't know what to think thus saving Ike from being hit by the Nerf hammer :bee:.

I'm hoping it will encourage some people to jump ship from P:M to smash 4. I have no intention of ever playing smash 4 competitively or even buying it so it would benefit me greatly if some people move over to it instead.
Commander, evolving the tourney and Ike metas one day at a time

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I knoooow the feelz. I'm possibly one of the best P:M players in Kentucky, but. . . it's Kentucky. Cincinatti is the closest out of state community and their top 5 players already prove to be a major threat to KY players/events and I'm not sure they'd go and say they're the best of their own state.

It's a sad feeling having to trek through P:M in one of the weaker regions in the US.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Best Ike in CT here, being your own role model sucks.
But I'm hype to get wrecked by a real Ike player at guts. Think DJNintendo is going, so that's what I'm doing.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Guys, I like to know your opinions, is it bad if I want to train my MK more, but keep Ike as a secondary?

Top Bottom